2Likes
  • 2 Post By altpensacola

post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Old sub with no amp

I have old Panasonic subwoofer from theater in a box setup. I want to use that in my new setup, if I can. Woofer box only have two wires coming out (+ & -). Where should I connect this wire in AVR? My AVR don’t give amplifier signal for subwoofer, there is Preout Sub1 and Sub2 in the back, which is of no use as it don’t give amplified woofer signal, I tried connecting the sub there and it didn’t work. Is there any other place in AVR where I can connect 2 wires of woofer and get amplified signal for it and made it work? I have Yanaha RX1060 AVR. And I have Klipsch speaker setup. I have center, front right, front left, surround right and left, and front presence speakers connected to AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 495
you would need an external power amp.

depending on your goals if would be more cost effective to get a small powered subwoofer.

something like a emotiva BasX 10 or 8

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicviewelite View Post
I have old Panasonic subwoofer from theater in a box setup. I want to use that in my new setup, if I can. Woofer box only have two wires coming out (+ & -). Where should I connect this wire in AVR? My AVR don’t give amplifier signal for subwoofer, there is Preout Sub1 and Sub2 in the back, which is of no use as it don’t give amplified woofer signal, I tried connecting the sub there and it didn’t work. Is there any other place in AVR where I can connect 2 wires of woofer and get amplified signal for it and made it work? I have Yanaha RX1060 AVR. And I have Klipsch speaker setup. I have center, front right, front left, surround right and left, and front presence speakers connected to AVR.
you don't say which Klipsch you have to go with the Yamaha, but really, you don't want to add that HTIB sub to your new set up.
even if you found a powerful enough mono amp for little cost, those things are not the same as a real sub usually. You are going to end up spending money for bloat and distortion instead of just getting a powered sub that can work well with your new set up.
scottiemon and sonicviewelite like this.

Music, more music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
you don't say which Klipsch you have to go with the Yamaha, but really, you don't want to add that HTIB sub to your new set up.
even if you found a powerful enough mono amp for little cost, those things are not the same as a real sub usually. You are going to end up spending money for bloat and distortion instead of just getting a powered sub that can work well with your new set up.

What sub you suggest around couple of hundred range. It is for living room which is 10x15 feet in size. I was looking for used Klipsch 10” or 12”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicviewelite View Post
What sub you suggest around couple of hundred range. It is for living room which is 10x15 feet in size. I was looking for used Klipsch 10” or 12”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I had a Klipsch sub12 in my system for years and I thought it was great. It is now in the garage for stereo. Still working. Other wise I have no experience with current subs in that price range.

Music, more music.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 531
As people are trying to tell you: HTIB Sub-Woofer isn't very good....so best to spend your $$$'s on a Powered S-W, rather than a new AMP....I agree with them....however, it you still want to try out what you have in hand:

I searched for the least expensive S-W Amp I could find on Amazon and recommend the following 100-W unit that uses a Push-Pull PAIR of the exemplary Texas Inst. TPA3116D2 Power Amp Chips [so 2 x 50W = 100W]. BTW: I also looked for a 50-W Amp [which is likely overkill as well], but didn't find anything less expensive that I would recommend...mostly cuz they were 2-Ch Stereo and STILL used 2 TI Chips:
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Subwoofer-Amplifier-Digital-Audio/dp/B07D2X65HC [$41 S-W 100W Amp, incl Power Supply]
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3116d2.pdf [Texas Inst. TPA3226D2 Spec Sheet]

BTW: I also like the fol. 2-Channel Stereo Amp (2x50W) which includes a 100W S-W Output (hence four TI Power Amp Chips) which may be of better use elsewhere AFTER you try with your existing Sub-Woofer:
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-TPA3.../dp/B07CP2KDYZ [$73 S-W Amp, incl Power Supply]
And it also comes in a less expensive CLEAR CASE version [$46.51 incl. Power Supply] that's only a few $'s more than JUST the S-W Amp mentioned earlier:
https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Channel.../dp/B072Q8GTXJ [$32.66, 2x50W + S-W 100W Amp]
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Elfli.../dp/B01LO2GBW8 [$14.85 24VDC Power Supply]

However, you MAY already have an AMP laying around (or can get a used one fairly cheap)....you can use JUST ONE Amplifier section in an old Surround AVR [e.g. just L or R Channel]...or an old 2-Channel Stereo Amp or Receiver.

Last edited by holl_ands; 12-08-2018 at 05:00 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 65
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108...rice+subwoofer
79.99 8" Monoprice powered sub

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Pow...39444218&psc=1

129.99 12" Monoprice powered sub '

Samsung 55KS8000 ,Samsung 55MU6300 . Sony 55X850C ,LG 42LB5400 ,Roku 2
Sony ES 7.1HT AVR modest 5.1 surround with Elac B6 fronts w/other impedance and sensitivity matched surrounds , center and powered sub that work well for what it is.

Last edited by frank xbe; 12-08-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page