New subwoofer started making a heart beat noise with no line plugged in - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By badboi
  • 3 Post By Blacklightning
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
|-Goku-|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Jamo S810 sub that was working perfectly, until in the middle of the night it started making a heartbeat noise. I unplugged the RCA cable, and it still does it.

From what I have read, it is the Internal amp that is bad. But I wanted to see if there was anything else I could try.

Last edited by |-Goku-|; 12-19-2018 at 08:31 PM.
|-Goku-| is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,216
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-Goku-| View Post
I have a new Jamo S810 sub that was working perfectly, until in the middle of the night it started making a heartbeat noise. I unplugged the RCA cable, and it still does it.

From what I have read, it is the Internal amp that is bad. But I wanted to see if there was anything else I could try.
If you're still in your return window, return it for full refund, and get a Monolith 10, HSU, Rhythmik or SVS sub. If you're past your return period, bring it in to have checked out while under warranty.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old 12-20-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
badboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emme
Posts: 1,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Give Jamo a call and see if the amp is covered under warranty and they'll send a replacement. Klipsch is known for their amp failures, so don't expect the replacement to last too long either.
B3ntwooki3 likes this.
badboi is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 12-20-2018, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
|-Goku-|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-Goku-| View Post
I have a new Jamo S810 sub that was working perfectly, until in the middle of the night it started making a heartbeat noise. I unplugged the RCA cable, and it still does it.

From what I have read, it is the Internal amp that is bad. But I wanted to see if there was anything else I could try.
If you're still in your return window, return it for full refund, and get a Monolith 10, HSU, Rhythmik or SVS sub. If you're past your return period, bring it in to have checked out while under warranty.
Still within the return window. I’ll look at the Monolith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post
Give Jamo a call and see if the amp is covered under warranty and they'll send a replacement. Klipsch is known for their amp failures, so don't expect the replacement to last too long either.
Crutchfield is alread sending a replacement. That’s disappointing about amp failures.
|-Goku-| is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 12-20-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,081
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Blacklightning is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-Goku-| View Post
Still within the return window. I’ll look at the Monolith.



Crutchfield is alread sending a replacement. That’s disappointing about amp failures.
Did this work out for you? I have an S808 that was doing the same thing after about 1 week of operation. Crutchfield sent a replacement but sure enough, after a week this unit is also acting up again with the same issues. I live in an older apartment complex and they are constantly doing construction next door, but I had both units plugged into (different) surge protectors. I also narrowed my particular issue down to the sub itself and not the AVR, as the 'heartbeat' persists when plugged in to multiple locations and when no RCA line in is connected.

The associate I spoke with kinda chuckled when I mentioned the outlet was only two-pronged and lacking a ground, and recommended trying a 2-to-3 prong converter or a line conditioner. Going to go the cheaper route first, but was curious to see how you fared / if this subwoofer is just going to be a constant headache (the line conditioner is almost the same cost as the sub itself! but I dont want to get another sub only to have faulty power ruin my day again. the conundrum is real)


(first post, hi everyone!
marcs797 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-02-2019, 01:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs797 View Post
Did this work out for you? I have an S808 that was doing the same thing after about 1 week of operation. Crutchfield sent a replacement but sure enough, after a week this unit is also acting up again with the same issues. I live in an older apartment complex and they are constantly doing construction next door, but I had both units plugged into (different) surge protectors. I also narrowed my particular issue down to the sub itself and not the AVR, as the 'heartbeat' persists when plugged in to multiple locations and when no RCA line in is connected.

The associate I spoke with kinda chuckled when I mentioned the outlet was only two-pronged and lacking a ground, and recommended trying a 2-to-3 prong converter or a line conditioner. Going to go the cheaper route first, but was curious to see how you fared / if this subwoofer is just going to be a constant headache (the line conditioner is almost the same cost as the sub itself! but I dont want to get another sub only to have faulty power ruin my day again. the conundrum is real)


(first post, hi everyone!
Hi guys,



Can you share a bit more info what happened? Did you change the sub with something different or the replacement unit works well for you? Are there any issues with the replacement units?



I've bought my S810 from Amazon just before Christmas, and it started behaving weirdly just a week ago. What I've noticed is that when I play something properly encoded or with wider bass range where the sub produces bass constantly, everything seems to be fine. Movies, music, whatever played on normal volume would work nice.



Once however you switch to Stereo TV where only some low frequencies are sent to the sub from time to time, then it starts randomly making the thump sound. It seems like it tries to properly discharge the load for some reason. Once I turn it off and back on it does not misbehave until some signal is sent to it and then randomly starts discharging.



Do you use the sub cable provided or you are using more properly shielded one? I was thinking eventually about some interference build-up because the cable seems to be somewhat... mediocre let's say, but it does not really seem the issue is the cable.

Any other ideas?

Cheers.

BD-Player: Panasonic DP_UB820
AVR: Denon AVR-X4500H
Adrian Angelov is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
hyperactiveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I have the exact issue with my s808. Waiting for reply from seller. Any other fix
hyperactiveme is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-11-2019, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
hyperactiveme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Well I was refunded for my purchase. Thinking about getting a small plate amp to replace the Jamo one. It's a shame to just throw this thing out.
hyperactiveme is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-06-2019, 05:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I opened a ticket with Jamo support, they've advised to send it for repair or request for refund from the seller as well. Jamo support confirmed it seems to be the internal amp issue. Shame...

BD-Player: Panasonic DP_UB820
AVR: Denon AVR-X4500H
Adrian Angelov is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-06-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 7,525
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 4554
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs797 View Post
Did this work out for you? I have an S808 that was doing the same thing after about 1 week of operation. Crutchfield sent a replacement but sure enough, after a week this unit is also acting up again with the same issues. I live in an older apartment complex and they are constantly doing construction next door, but I had both units plugged into (different) surge protectors. I also narrowed my particular issue down to the sub itself and not the AVR, as the 'heartbeat' persists when plugged in to multiple locations and when no RCA line in is connected.

The associate I spoke with kinda chuckled when I mentioned the outlet was only two-pronged and lacking a ground, and recommended trying a 2-to-3 prong converter or a line conditioner. Going to go the cheaper route first, but was curious to see how you fared / if this subwoofer is just going to be a constant headache (the line conditioner is almost the same cost as the sub itself! but I dont want to get another sub only to have faulty power ruin my day again. the conundrum is real)


(first post, hi everyone!
Then Welcome to the AVS forum

If it was a noise issue, as grounding problem (the terrible Bzzz). I could see a converter may work.
But dough if it will do any to fix this problem, since it is more likely an amp failure.


Ray
darthray is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,213
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Anyone happen to know if this issue "heart beat" has been resolved? I have to say I love the aesthetics of this particular Sub, but this known defect has kept me from pulling any kind of trigger.
Ryan Statz is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, not a regular member on this forum but I came across this thread and thought I'll share my experience on this particular problem with the S810 Subwoofer.

I had my Jamo S810 subwoofer for about a week and didn't notice anything weird. I wasn't listening at high volume so the "heartbeat" noise was too quiet for me to pick up. It's only once I started cranking up the volume that I noticed the heartbeat noise, specifically during the quieter parts of the song/movie. Long story short, it ended up being caused by interference from my Chromecast dongle I had plugged into the back of my receiver. So if you have a Chromecast or something else that might cause interference with the receiver, perhaps try and remove it.

I hope this works for some of you.
Wayne Potgieter is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Potgieter View Post
Hey guys, not a regular member on this forum but I came across this thread and thought I'll share my experience on this particular problem with the S810 Subwoofer.

I had my Jamo S810 subwoofer for about a week and didn't notice anything weird. I wasn't listening at high volume so the "heartbeat" noise was too quiet for me to pick up. It's only once I started cranking up the volume that I noticed the heartbeat noise, specifically during the quieter parts of the song/movie. Long story short, it ended up being caused by interference from my Chromecast dongle I had plugged into the back of my receiver. So if you have a Chromecast or something else that might cause interference with the receiver, perhaps try and remove it.

I hope this works for some of you.
I too as of September 2019 purchased a brand new Jamo S810 sub on Brisbane's north side and initially it was amazing, thumped like hell and then over the last couple of months started the "heartbeat" thumping. I did some troubleshooting and discovered this issue also occurred without the coaxial cable being connected, so there was no signal input from the Yamaha RX-V385 amplifier and knew I was not going crazy so I sat down just with it powered on and listed and sure enough randomly it started it's heartbeat.

I contact the reseller and told them and agreed to drop it off for testing in their environment. After a couple of days it was confirmed the power supply was fading / faulty which is what was causing the issue and as its one whole piece a new power supply would be required. They initially offered a repair, but I said no considering it's only six months old. I then suggested a whole new exchange replacement be supplied or alternatively I pay to upgrade to another Jamo sub to try and avoid this issue with the S810 a second time. Obviously there is a quality control issue and Jamo / Klipsch need to resolve this asap.

I have been offered the following:-

1. Pay $AU363 extra for the Jamo J12 Subwoofer
2. Pay $AU476 extra for the Jamo C912 Subwoofer

Im opting for the C912 however it wont arrive for about two to three weeks but hey I've been without a sub for over two weeks now.
YamahaJamo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off