Three Subwoofers, Multiple crossover settings - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Three Subwoofers, Multiple crossover settings

Deftech 600, dual 600 sub, Pioneer LX 103, OMW3 Front Height, 5.2.2 The room is 10 feet x 12 feet or so, but it opens up on the left side into a 12x15 area (trapezoid), and on the right there is doorway leading to a small hallway (1902 house). Hardwood, no rug. Drywall over Lath and Plaster. Listening area is 10x12.

Deftech 600 satellites don't go down to 80hz, maybe 120-150hz; Bass 80hz-150hz is directional. To correct this, I have the Front LR speakers set to FULL and they are wired through the LR subs which keeps the mid bass directional (Subs are positioned Front LR). The DT 600 subs are wired for LFE as well. It's works good. I tried some SM45's in my living room and I did not like the weaker treble; I like the sound and look of the 600 satellites.

The DT600 subs don't reach low enough; they fall apart in some movies and start "farting" and walking around the room. I want to add another sub that reaches down to 20hz; I've got my eye on an SVS SB 2000. But, I don't want the SVS to go over 80 hz, and I want to set my crossover at 120hz on the receiver. Is this possible?

And as a bonus is there some way I could limit the DT 600 subs from going any lower than 40hz or 30hz?

Receiver Crossover - 120hz
Front DT 600 LR Subs - 120-40hz
SB2000 - 80hz-20hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Three Subwoofers, Multiple crossover settings

Assuming i understand you right that you use speaker cable connection into L and R subs then into the L and R speakers.
Set LR to small xover 80hz, connect new svs sub with rca/xlr from lfe out on reciever. This way reciever will ‘see’ a little bigger L and R. Deeper bass pluss LFE channel will go to the more capable new sub.

Edit : L and R can be set with lower xover like 60 if you like instead of 80, try different settings and decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Look into miniDSP
You need the capability to integrate things better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As @uniquepattern suggested, a MiniDSP 2x4 HD would allow everything you're talking about (and more... such as time-aligning multiple subs that are different distances from your main listening position, EQ, etc).

Without a device like the MiniDSP, you could keep your receiver's crossover set to 120Hz, and simply adjust the SVS sub's internal crossover to 80Hz.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-06-2019, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Something you need to consider with your proposed sub mix is phase cancellation. I believe the DT subs are passive radiator designs whereas the SVS is sealed. If you use all three for LFE you most likely will have output from the PR's and the SVS canceling each other out.

If you go this route I would second the suggestion to change front settings to small, use only the SVS for LFE, and keep the crossover high enough so the PR's are not engaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page