* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #10561 of 10842 Old 12-31-2017, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurux View Post
UK owner - I have had a DD 10+ for about two years purchased from an authorised dealer for retail money and, while it hasn't given me any grief and has performed well so far, the calibration process has never been a smooth ride and failed more often than not.

Feeling I did not get the best out of it I have been looking to update to the latest firmware and contacted Velo many times but they completely ignored my emails which, for a 3K+ sub, I think is an appalling behaviour. Their software is Windows only and hasn't been updated since 2012 (!). A lot has happened since in the audio landscape and, apart from mass producing and selling these boxes, it seems to me that nobody is standing behind their products / supporting their customers today.

I say today because i see in this thread that they used to issue firmware updates on their website, they used to communicate with their customers etc.

So is the consumer division of Velodyne dead or dying, are they in financial trouble or has this always been their attitude and level of support? Is their line of high end subwoofers no longer supported / developed beyond hardware faults?

I see that other users have enquired in this thread about firmware updates and have largely been ignored. Is it because there are none, is it because you don't know, is it because they have the wrong attitude?

Although I still have a working subwoofer I wonder what will happen when it eventually fails and if getting an information about a firmware update is mission impossible, I can well imagine how much help I will get from Velodyne with repairing my box outside warranty.

So, anybody who knows or can point customers like myself, from outside US, in the right direction with official support, firmwares etc? Because my dealer basically said: I told you you should have bought a REL. And he was probably right.

You might want to try to speaking to the long time Velodyne distributor in the UK, which is Redline, based in Essex. Their Tech Manager is called Vince and he's a very knowledgeable guy on all things Velodyne.

Vince recently serviced my 10 year old DD12 and did a great job at a very reasonable price (£138). He updated the firmware at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 10842 Old 12-31-2017, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Much appreciated, will see what I can do.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #10563 of 10842 Old 01-07-2018, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all, I have an old Velodyne ULD-15 and I'm getting interference with the old servo cable I have and am looking to replace it with something with more shielding. The original manual says it can be replaced with any "standard shielded phono cable" but I can't figure out what that actually is. It looks like a 5-pin xlr cable with male connectors on each end, but I can't seem to find any xlr cables that are 5-pin (looks like 5-pin is usual DMX). Another alternative could be a 5-pin DIN midi cable.

Anyone have any idea on what I can use?

Thanks!

Last edited by eamodio; 01-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10564 of 10842 Old 01-09-2018, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi i have f1500r be '95 prodution
Sorry my bad english.
Several days ago i pull out jack audio 3.5 then comes sound like strong DUG and then i switch off the subs , then sound DUG again. After that i turn it on , sound DUG ,switch off DUG again.
Whats wrong? Is that regulator at U7 should be replace?
And i pull out brown pin.but i forgot which is right position. Pic i post is it right position or wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180107_210813_1515493018918.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	2343018  
post #10565 of 10842 Old 01-09-2018, 04:35 AM

Pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180109_192537_1515501278799.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	646.3 KB
ID:	2343022   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_192059_1515501294392.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	873.3 KB
ID:	2343024  
post #10566 of 10842 Old 01-11-2018, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Used but working slightly cosmetically damaged DD18+ still a good buy?

Hello to all of you. I have an opportunity to buy a cosmetically (but repairable) damaged DD18+ for around $1K. The unit is about 4 years old but said to be in perfect working order. What is damaged is from what appears to be a drop so basically most of the top corners will need to be filled in and smoothed out and re-stained. I don't know all of the details of how the damage occurred. If the unit is indeed in perfect working order do you feel this would be a good buy?

My current set up is a Marantz SR7012 and a set of Definitive Technologies Mythos STL's along with a Definitive Technologies SuperCube Reference. I could add the Velodyne to the mix (I know the Def-Tech is more like a ported sub and might not be the best mix) or just put the SC in the bedroom system with my 12" I have in there.

I do not frequent this specific forum much and I am not sure Velodyne is the company they once were but I thought I would ask here as this is their forum. I know there are a lot of unknowns as to the internals etc. and I would test it out "Thoroughly" before buying so if it is indeed working as it should would you buy it at this price?

My listening habits for music usually involve "Pure Direct" on the Marantz if I am listening by myself but other times for background the sub would play and obviously for movies it will be used. I am looking to add a sub now and another one down the road with the Def-tech ending up in the bedroom with my Mirage S12 accompanying it. I have been looking at a Rythmik F15HP or F18, the SVS SB14 and SB16, as well as PSA S3000i. All of these would be great I am sure but they are at a higher cost but new. The S30001 is about the limit for size I could manage so this is why I am looking at sealed. The Velodyne is much larger I know but for a deal I might be able to live with it.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.

If it sounds and looks good, it sounds and looks good!!
post #10567 of 10842 Old 01-17-2018, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd buy the DD series anytime. If you're going into details the settings can come handy. It also meets THX standards.
Here are some reviewers comments.

Now question:
What is the correlation between Low Pass Crossover Frequency and the Crossover Frequency set by AVR? I assume this is the same thing?
Asking for DD/DD+series.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DD.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	2346990  

7.3.4 with an old Sony ES gear. :-)

Last edited by gerchy; 01-17-2018 at 05:21 AM.
post #10568 of 10842 Old 01-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Hi,

I would really need some help now.

I have two Velodyne DD12 connected as shown in manual but remote works only with one sub. Nothing works in second sub, no volume or even power control. I have to use backpanel power button to power up my sub.
Amplifier in my system is Hegel H80 if that is important.

My connections are:
1. RCA from Hegel output to DD12 (master) imput.
2. RCA from DD12 ( master) thru to DD12 (slave) imput
3. RS232 DB9 from DD12 (master) output to DD12 (slave) imput.

When I use my remote only master response, I can adjust volume and turn power on or off. Nothing happen in slave sub.
I dont get it why it wont work. Is it reason that my auto on/off setup is inactive in both subs, or that version number of subs is different?

Subs work fine but I would like to use remote on both subs.

post #10569 of 10842 Old 01-21-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD rocker View Post
Hi,

I would really need some help now.

I have two Velodyne DD12 connected as shown in manual but remote works only with one sub. Nothing works in second sub, no volume or even power control. I have to use backpanel power button to power up my sub.
Amplifier in my system is Hegel H80 if that is important.

My connections are:
1. RCA from Hegel output to DD12 (master) imput.
2. RCA from DD12 ( master) thru to DD12 (slave) imput
3. RS232 DB9 from DD12 (master) output to DD12 (slave) imput.

When I use my remote only master response, I can adjust volume and turn power on or off. Nothing happen in slave sub.
I dont get it why it wont work. Is it reason that my auto on/off setup is inactive in both subs, or that version number of subs is different?

Subs work fine but I would like to use remote on both subs.

I tried to turn auto on/off to inactive, no change so I took rs cable of and now I can atleast turn subs on or off with remote.
I might sell other DD and will recommend only one DD if anyone will ever ask about it.
post #10570 of 10842 Old 01-21-2018, 04:47 AM

I tried to turn auto on/off to ACTIVE, no change so I took rs cable of and now I can atleast turn subs on or off with remote.
I might sell other DD and will recommend only one DD if anyone will ever ask about it.
post #10571 of 10842 Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamodio View Post
Hi all, I have an old Velodyne ULD-15 and I'm getting interference with the old servo cable I have and am looking to replace it with something with more shielding. The original manual says it can be replaced with any "standard shielded phono cable" but I can't figure out what that actually is. It looks like a 5-pin xlr cable with male connectors on each end, but I can't seem to find any xlr cables that are 5-pin (looks like 5-pin is usual DMX). Another alternative could be a 5-pin DIN midi cable.

Anyone have any idea on what I can use?

Thanks!
Hope this doesn't get too complicated for you:

Early ULD series products did use XLR connectors, which are available in varying pin counts. It's made a bit tricky because the position of some XLR connectors can be variable. I believe I have seen 5-pins with a single pin in the center and 4 pins arcing around it, and 5-pins with 5 pins in an arc. So take a look at your gear before committing.

That said, I suggest searching "5 pin xlr cable" in Amazon and other places. If Velodyne was specifying "standard" cables, you won't have to be very picky about what you buy as long as it's shielded.

MIDI cable's aren't XLR, as you say. They're DIN and won't work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.07.02 PM.png
Views:	21
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2351004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.07.24 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	2351006  

Last edited by Etnier; 01-25-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #10572 of 10842 Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Looking for a schematic for a Velodyne F-1000-B (Mfg May 1992); does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks,

jk
post #10573 of 10842 Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have a DD15, manufactured in 2005. I am now getting crackling at pretty much any volume level. If I run test tones to it via my AV processor it just crackles. The likely culprit is the amp but I don’t want to spend $260 repairing it if it could likely be a number of other things.

Is the amp the most likely bad part? Is there anyway to narrow this down?

On a side note, how do I remove the amp if I want to ship it out for repair? I took out the 12 Phillips head screws but there are others there (hex or torx)? Can someone tell me which other ones I need to remove and what type they are?

TIA.

David M.
post #10574 of 10842 Old 02-25-2018, 03:00 AM

Hi Everybody

I’m new here. I’ve searched the Velodyne support thread for an answer to my question but after trying several different keywords have found nothing.

My DAC/pre feeds into my DD18 Plus. My power amp is fed from the high pass output of the sub. (I don’t run my main speakers full range because (a) I’m convinced by the arguments not to, and (b) my main speakers are Quad ESLs which are relatively easy to overload but less easy if they’re not fed low bass.)

But… am I listening to my DAC/pre or am I listening to a DAC in the DD18 Plus?? I seems likely that the high pass output of the sub is derived from a digital (DSP) crossover followed by a DAC in the sub. But before I go out and buy a high quality analogue crossover I’d like confirmation that the high pass output does, indeed, come from a DSP crossover, not an analogue one! I’d appreciate a definitive answer.

To my fellow equipment enthusiasts, enjoy the music!

Peter
post #10575 of 10842 Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
AVS Forum welcomes Bruce Hall, President/CEO of Velodyne.<br><br>
In this thread, please feel free to ask support questions in regards to Velodyne products. Velodyne staff will monitor the thread and respond as they can. Members of this forum of course are also welcome to help out as they can. For after all, this site is dedicated to people helping people in Home Theater.
Hi Guys - i guess Im a little pissed at the moment - I live in Australia and my 2010 CHT-120R BVE has also fried the AMP modulator - when I say fried - i mean black melted wires etc... Anyway to cut a long story short - I've just rung Revolution Technologies in Brisbane and they've said that they don;t sell the modulator to the public. I must go to a repair dealer. The thing is - I've just picked up my Sub from a repairer that swears he couldn't source the part and has had my Sub since December 2017!!!

Does anyone one have any other suggestions other than -" Go to another repairer!!" I'm not prepared to pay more money for nothing.

Also seems that these Velodyne AMP and Power modules commonly blow and spectacularly - is this a fault, bad design and if so do the new modules have new capacitors etc?

I'd appreciate your help or advice

Jaime
post #10576 of 10842 Old 03-06-2018, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Barber View Post
Hi Guys - i guess Im a little pissed at the moment - I live in Australia and my 2010 CHT-120R BVE has also fried the AMP modulator - when I say fried - i mean black melted wires etc... Anyway to cut a long story short - I've just rung Revolution Technologies in Brisbane and they've said that they don;t sell the modulator to the public. I must go to a repair dealer. The thing is - I've just picked up my Sub from a repairer that swears he couldn't source the part and has had my Sub since December 2017!!!

Does anyone one have any other suggestions other than -" Go to another repairer!!" I'm not prepared to pay more money for nothing.

Also seems that these Velodyne AMP and Power modules commonly blow and spectacularly - is this a fault, bad design and if so do the new modules have new capacitors etc?

Jaime
Velodyne doesn't monitor this thread anymore. You can try their contact form on their website:
http://velodyneacoustics.com/contacts/
post #10577 of 10842 Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Barber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
AVS Forum welcomes Bruce Hall, President/CEO of Velodyne.

In this thread, please feel free to ask support questions in regards to Velodyne products. Velodyne staff will monitor the thread and respond as they can. Members of this forum of course are also welcome to help out as they can. For after all, this site is dedicated to people helping people in Home Theater.

Jaime

Hi Jaime,
I'm a local Brisbane owner of Velodyne albeit their Digital Drive range, and I recently had the amp module playing up and got it replaced.

Hit up WSR Electronics in Yalata. But yes, the parts go via RevTek
WSR are authorised agents for Velodyne.

-- 133" AT 2.35:1 Screen -- JVC X500 -- Oppo UDP-205 -- Cambridge 650R -- QSC DCM 10-D -- 2x Emotiva XPA-5 -- Krix Theatrix (L,C,R), Krix Megaphonix surrounds -- 4x Velodyne DD18 --
post #10578 of 10842 Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Send a message via Skype™ to xtrips
Hello,

I need to perform a calibration at a customer that owns 2 Velodyne DD-18.
I won't have access to a screen/monitor and actually in this case it is not important.
I do have to fix the volume for each of them in a way it won't get lost.
How can I fix the volume using only the Volume Up and Down from the back panel?
Each time the system goes on standby and wakes up again the volume goes back to some other value.

Thanks
post #10579 of 10842 Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips View Post
Hello,

I need to perform a calibration at a customer that owns 2 Velodyne DD-18.
I won't have access to a screen/monitor and actually in this case it is not important.
I do have to fix the volume for each of them in a way it won't get lost.
How can I fix the volume using only the Volume Up and Down from the back panel?
Each time the system goes on standby and wakes up again the volume goes back to some other value.

Thanks
Hi Xtrips,
This is no longer monitored by Velodyne however some users do check in here.

I have DD18's and from my knowledge unfortunately, yes, the volume settings will not be stored without going through the settings saving. As you say, each power on off cycle at the wall will revert it to the last saved.

If you are looking to calibrate these, especially a pair, I would only defer do hook them up to the video output.
I would also recommend you RS232 link them - that way master sub is controller for everything: volume, preset, EQ, phase, etc etc.

Ping me with any further queries at all

-- 133" AT 2.35:1 Screen -- JVC X500 -- Oppo UDP-205 -- Cambridge 650R -- QSC DCM 10-D -- 2x Emotiva XPA-5 -- Krix Theatrix (L,C,R), Krix Megaphonix surrounds -- 4x Velodyne DD18 --
post #10580 of 10842 Old 03-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recently purchased a used EQ Max 12 ($150.00! Yay!), and the microphone was missing. I own a Denon AVR x2100W which comes with a microphone as well as this Audyssey setup which I believe does what the EQ function of the EQ Maxs 12 does.

1) Since I did the setup with the Denon, do I need to do it with the EQ Max 12? If yes, should I do it then do the Denon setup after?
2) Can I use the microphone and stand that came with the Denon? It has the same size jack.
3) The manual says that I can raise the cutoff frequency if my amp has dedicated subwoofer outputs. Mine has two. I connected each output to the two (left and right) inputs on the ERQ Max 12. Should I connect them this way, and should I raise the cutoff?
4) There is the always On / automatic on feature - also, My Denon has the ability to always output to the subwoofer instead of just the lower frequencies: What's my best option here?

My thoughts so far: as long as my wife is in the home, I can't run this above 40%. This is a house-shaker! I loved listening to The Crystal Method's Trip Like I do: the warm base just flows right through you with this beauty!

Cheers, and thanks!

Still a 1080P 5.1 guy, but moving up to bi-amping, so we're getting there. . :)
post #10581 of 10842 Old 03-25-2018, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa HD Noob View Post
I recently purchased a used EQ Max 12 ($150.00! Yay!), and the microphone was missing. I own a Denon AVR x2100W which comes with a microphone as well as this Audyssey setup which I believe does what the EQ function of the EQ Maxs 12 does.

1) Since I did the setup with the Denon, do I need to do it with the EQ Max 12? If yes, should I do it then do the Denon setup after?
2) Can I use the microphone and stand that came with the Denon? It has the same size jack.
3) The manual says that I can raise the cutoff frequency if my amp has dedicated subwoofer outputs. Mine has two. I connected each output to the two (left and right) inputs on the ERQ Max 12. Should I connect them this way, and should I raise the cutoff?
4) There is the always On / automatic on feature - also, My Denon has the ability to always output to the subwoofer instead of just the lower frequencies: What's my best option here?

My thoughts so far: as long as my wife is in the home, I can't run this above 40%. This is a house-shaker! I loved listening to The Crystal Method's Trip Like I do: the warm base just flows right through you with this beauty!

Cheers, and thanks!
1 No. Audyssey does a better job. I believe if you had the microphone, you run the subwoofer first, but it's not necessary.
2 Unknown, I wouldn't do it. It will probably physically do it, but the results may not be optimal.
3. Raise the cutoff to max(direct). You only need to hook up one cable, subwoofer 1 on the Denon to the RCA input marked "LFE" on the subwoofer.
4. Not sure what you mean here, but if you mean what I think, just LFE.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #10582 of 10842 Old 03-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
1 No. Audyssey does a better job. I believe if you had the microphone, you run the subwoofer first, but it's not necessary.
2 Unknown, I wouldn't do it. It will probably physically do it, but the results may not be optimal.
3. Raise the cutoff to max(direct). You only need to hook up one cable, subwoofer 1 on the Denon to the RCA input marked "LFE" on the subwoofer.
4. Not sure what you mean here, but if you mean what I think, just LFE.
1. thanks: I thought as much.
2. yeah: I was thinking the same thing. And since Audyssey does a better job, it's a moot point.
3. From the manual "line input/lfe
Connect these jacks to the line out preamp output, lfe output, or subwoofer output jacks of your receiver/processor. If using the
lfe output from your receiver or processor, plug the single cable into the “L” – lfe input or, for more signal, use a “y” connector (not
included) and feed the signal into both “R” and “l” inputs." <---- What do they mean by "more signal"?
So, are two identical signals being sent to left and right any different from just one signal being sent to the Left input?
4. The Velodyne has the option to be always on or in standby mode. I also have an option on my Denon to only output low frequencies or to always output to subwoofer.

Thanks, again !

post #10583 of 10842 Old 03-25-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
3. From the manual "line input/lfe
Connect these jacks to the line out preamp output, lfe output, or subwoofer output jacks of your receiver/processor. If using the
lfe output from your receiver or processor, plug the single cable into the “L” – lfe input or, for more signal, use a “y” connector (not
included) and feed the signal into both “R” and “l” inputs." <---- What do they mean by "more signal"?
So, are two identical signals being sent to left and right any different from just one signal being sent to the Left input?
In your case with that Denon, both subwoofer out are the same signal. The only time I know of with a modern subwoofer you might need to y or double the signal is to operate the auto on feature. That is, if the subwoofer doesn't auto on reliably, you would get a y connector to double the signal. Basically, one wire to the lfe port, if the auto on doesn't work, get a y connector to y the cable to the other port, as well.
post #10584 of 10842 Old 03-25-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
In your case with that Denon, both subwoofer out are the same signal. The only time I know of with a modern subwoofer you might need to y or double the signal is to operate the auto on feature. That is, if the subwoofer doesn't auto on reliably, you would get a y connector to double the signal. Basically, one wire to the lfe port, if the auto on doesn't work, get a y connector to y the cable to the other port, as well.
So, since I use the always on feature, I only need one input. This way, if I want to literally shake my house apart, I can find another EQ Max 12 and plug it into the other sub-out on my receiver. Of course, my wife would kill me shortly after that: any recommendations on a last movie to watch?

post #10585 of 10842 Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, since I use the always on feature, I only need one input. This way, if I want to literally shake my house apart, I can find another EQ Max 12 and plug it into the other sub-out on my receiver. Of course, my wife would kill me shortly after that: any recommendations on a last movie to watch?
I don't watch that many movies, but this forum should give you some ideas.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...cy-charts.html

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #10586 of 10842 Old 04-08-2018, 07:01 AM

Liked: 11
Hi, All--

I have two Velodyne Subs . . . a DLS5000R and an SPL-8 II; I originally purchased the DSL5000R first back in 2007, but it was damaged in shipping, so I purchased the SPL-8-II as a temporary replacement while waiting for the shipping company to replace the DSL-R . . . I was amazed at the sound of the SPL-800, from such a small package!

I've been using the DSL-R in my living room ever since I got the replacement, and it was built on January 15, 2007; the SPL-8-II was built on March 22, 2007, and has been sitting in storage as a result, but last week, I decided to upgrade the system in my master bedroom, and planned to use the SPL-8-II there; unfortunately, it is now dead--no sound at all! I tested it not only on the system in my bedroom, but also disconnected my known-good DLS-R sub and connected the SPL-8-II to my living room system, but again, no sound.

I researched and found that this is apparently a known issue, due to the capacitors used in the preamp of this amplifier . . . there is actually a video that details how to repair by replacing the capacitors, but I am not qualified for that level of soldering/component replacement . . .

I also found that a couple of years back, there was apparently an upgraded amplifier available, but very little information regarding how to obtain it, pricing, etc.

I found this thread, and saw another member had the same issue I did, and it appears that Velodyne no longer monitors this thread, but there was an e-mail address of [email protected], so I sent e-mail to that address, requesting information about a replacement amplifier . . .

Does anybody have any additional information regarding this preamp issue, and the availability of the upgraded amp that they could share?

Last edited by stonecoldtx; 04-11-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: More information
post #10587 of 10842 Old 04-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Angry Velodyne DD12+ Doesn't Wake Up from Standy using RS232 Commands

I am using 3 DD12+ subwoofers and have linked them up through RS232 to my URC Serial Ports.

When I try to Power On the Subwoofers using the command #JU1 $ it doesnot power On. What is more frustating is that when the subwoofers receive signals from the receiver it still remains in standby mode.

I have contacted the Velodyne people but they fail to reply.

Is there anyone who has a fair knowledge of how to overcome this.
post #10588 of 10842 Old 04-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Angry Velodyne DD12+ Doesn't Wake Up from Standy using RS232 Commands

I am using 3 DD12+ subwoofers and have linked them up through RS232 to my URC Serial Ports.

When I try to Power On the Subwoofers using the command #JU1 $ it doesnot power On. What is more frustating is that when the subwoofers receive signals from the receiver it still remains in standby mode.

I have contacted the Velodyne people but they fail to reply.

Is there anyone who has a fair knowledge of how to overcome this.
post #10589 of 10842 Old 04-11-2018, 07:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecoldtx View Post
Hi, All--

I have two Velodyne Subs . . . a DLS5000R and an SPL-8 II; I originally purchased the DSL5000R first back in 2007, but it was damaged in shipping, so I purchased the SPL-8-II as a temporary replacement while waiting for the shipping company to replace the DSL-R . . . I was amazed at the sound of the SPL-800, from such a small package!

I've been using the DSL-R in my living room ever since I got the replacement, and it was built on January 15, 2007; the SPL-8-II was built on March 22, 2007, and has been sitting in storage as a result, but last week, I decided to upgrade the system in my master bedroom, and planned to use the SPL-8-II there; unfortunately, it is now dead--no sound at all! I tested it not only on the system in my bedroom, but also disconnected my known-good DLS-R sub and connected the SPL-8-II to my living room system, but again, no sound.

I researched and found that this is apparently a known issue, due to the capacitors used in the preamp of this amplifier . . . there is actually a video that details how to repair by replacing the capacitors, but I am not qualified for that level of soldering/component replacement . . .

I also found that a couple of years back, there was apparently an upgraded amplifier available, but very little information regarding how to obtain it, pricing, etc.

I found this thread, and saw another member had the same issue I did, and it appears that Velodyne no longer monitors this thread, but there was an e-mail address of [email protected], so I sent e-mail to that address, requesting information about a replacement amplifier . . .

Does anybody have any additional information regarding this preamp issue, and the availability of the upgraded amp that they could share?

Just an update--I had sent e-mail to Velodyne, and they told me that the SPL-8 II had reached End-Of-Life, and that they no longer had any stock replacement amplifiers . . . they said that the only option was to perform component-based repairs on the existing amplifier, and provided me with a link to find a service center near me.

I contacted the nearest service center, and they just happened to have one of these amps in stock, so I purchased it, and now the sub is as good as new!
SteveC356 likes this.
post #10590 of 10842 Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyluv View Post

You have two issues there. First the Power on command is not "#JU1 $" Try "#PW1$" for on and "#PW0$" for off.

The other issue is most likely that your sub is not set to "auto on". You have three options... always on, auto on and 12 volt trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne