* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 360 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #10771 of 10872 Old 05-26-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 4030
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
I emailed them weeks ago. No response. I bought a Monolith. Sooooo much better anyways.

Cheers!
Yup, at this point, there is no reason to buy Velodyne. The guy that started it has abandoned it for LIDAR, they are overpriced, and customer support is spotty. There are a lot of options now, with Monolith and Rythmik probably being the most direct replacements for them, at a much lower price.
I've wanted whatever Velodyne's best was for years, but could never afford it. The DD18+ was the latest, of course, and it is a legitimately good subwoofer. The Rythmik F18s I have now, are even better, at about 1/3 the price.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10772 of 10872 Old 05-31-2019, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
in the UK red-line can repair your Subs at reasonable costs.

Typically its power supply related and its normally easy fixes. Have yet to see a driver go on these.

I've had my DD12 done there many years back and now my DD15+ is on its way (well the amp unit anyway).
SteveC356 likes this.
post #10773 of 10872 Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, just a thought, i have a Velodyne SPL 800r Subwoofer, the specs say the amp puts out about 1000w, is that at 4 ohms? The driver inside looks to be a 6 ohm DVC so would be interested to know how stable this amp is at 2 or 4 ohms please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10774 of 10872 Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Optimum manufactured in 2009, that was purchased on sale in 2011 direct from Velodyne.

I returned from a month long business trip and the sub will not power on. The fuse was blown and it also blew the spare fuse. I think the fuse is a 12A, 250v and is ceramic. Can anyone here recommend a place for repair? Would I be able to repair it, if I have a some, minimal, familiarity with a soldering iron?

Or should I at this point look for a replacement?

Thanks.
post #10775 of 10872 Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post
I have an Optimum manufactured in 2009, that was purchased on sale in 2011 direct from Velodyne.

I returned from a month long business trip and the sub will not power on. The fuse was blown and it also blew the spare fuse. I think the fuse is a 12A, 250v and is ceramic. Can anyone here recommend a place for repair? Would I be able to repair it, if I have a some, minimal, familiarity with a soldering iron?

Or should I at this point look for a replacement?

Thanks.
EBC Electronics does a flat rate repair for Velodyne's at ~$200.00.

I've used EBC and he does really good work. Unfortunately, I see that he is backed up with repairs at the moment but it would not hurt to give him a call and see when you could send it in.

https://www.ebcelectronics.com/

If you do a search, there are other people who do repairs and the price is comparable.

The Optimum uses Velodyne's class D ERS amplifier. You need more skill than "familiarity with a soldering iron" to repair one of these as there is no conventional power supply, no transformer module used. The board has high voltage present and quite dangerous even if you know what you're doing.

Otherwise if you don't want to repair it, yes, time to move on and look for a replacement.
post #10776 of 10872 Old 06-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
EBC Electronics does a flat rate repair for Velodyne's at ~$200.00.

I've used EBC and he does really good work. Unfortunately, I see that he is backed up with repairs at the moment but it would not hurt to give him a call and see when you could send it in.

https://www.ebcelectronics.com/

If you do a search, there are other people who do repairs and the price is comparable.

The Optimum uses Velodyne's class D ERS amplifier. You need more skill than "familiarity with a soldering iron" to repair one of these as there is no conventional power supply, no transformer module used. The board has high voltage present and quite dangerous even if you know what you're doing.
I have replaced it. This was partly due to the question of parts availability which, the lack thereof, would require board level repair. Is that what EBC does?

I have not yet given up on repair. I may return it to my set up as a second sub.
post #10777 of 10872 Old 06-15-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTHB View Post
I have replaced it. This was partly due to the question of parts availability which, the lack thereof, would require board level repair. Is that what EBC does?

I have not yet given up on repair. I may return it to my set up as a second sub.
Yes, EBC prefers to have you remove the amplifier and send only the amplifier to them. Board level repair.

You can send the whole subwoofer, but you're obviously subjecting yourself to additional shipping expense.

Last edited by b curry; 06-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #10778 of 10872 Old 06-15-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Another Dead Velodyne!

Guys,

A customer gave me a pristine SPL Series II 10" sub that had been sitting around and the usual; powers up, no sound, thumps when switching xover selector. It's been a week and no one fro VD has called back and they don't answer their phone. I'm is San Jose and could take the amp in but not sure what their story is any more (Lidar??)

I figure Norm at Sertech could fix it if he is still around but I need to call. Any other ideas?

thx

bob
post #10779 of 10872 Old 06-16-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2239
Looks like there are no longer any subs for sale on their website. Might be game over.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #10780 of 10872 Old 06-16-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The games been over for years.

This company used to "own" the subwoofer market and they've thrown it away.

What a pity!
conanb likes this.
post #10781 of 10872 Old 06-17-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Velodyne will not honor remaining warranties on their now extinct subs.
post #10782 of 10872 Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
Someone who has been affected by this should file an official complaint with
California's Attorney General.

What a way to run a business - disgraceful!!!!!
post #10783 of 10872 Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Worth Fixing

Is it worth fixing a SPL Series II, 10"? I know if Norm form Sertech repairs it, it will be with upgraded parts. Est $250 to fix.

bob
post #10784 of 10872 Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Worth Fixing

Is it worth fixing a SPL Series II, 10"? I know if Norm form Sertech repairs it, it will be with upgraded parts. Est $250 to fix.
post #10785 of 10872 Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9078 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
What a disgraceful exit.
drh3b likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10786 of 10872 Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, EBC prefers to have you remove the amplifier and send only the amplifier to them. Board level repair.

You can send the whole subwoofer, but you're obviously subjecting yourself to additional shipping expense.
Well, I was going to return the refurbished sub, but apparently the low pass frequency was mis set for my AVR, but now it works. Lower wattage, but larger and more musical and less than I paid Velodyne for the Optimum on sale.
post #10787 of 10872 Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi All,

I’ve had my DD-10 for years, and did not know about the firmware updates. Having recently upgraded to new AVR, I’ve been doing some system tuning. So now I am looking for the latest firmware DD-10. The Velodyne Acoustics software download page only has the DD Plus software. Does anyone have or can please point me to the last released DD firmware?

Thanks!
post #10788 of 10872 Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2jzge View Post
Hi All,

I’ve had my DD-10 for years, and did not know about the firmware updates. Having recently upgraded to new AVR, I’ve been doing some system tuning. So now I am looking for the latest firmware DD-10. The Velodyne Acoustics software download page only has the DD Plus software. Does anyone have or can please point me to the last released DD firmware?

Thanks!
I've never updated the firmware on my DD15 and it works fine.

Even if I found an update, which I doubt, especially now, I'd not try it as it could fail and leave me with a paperweight.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10789 of 10872 Old 06-21-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I double checked last night, and my DD10 is at v2.2.2 anyways. I had heard that there was a v2.2.3, but probably minor change(s).

Plus, you’re probably right, why take the risk, especially now.

Back to system tuning then! 😉
post #10790 of 10872 Old 06-23-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
what is it on the DDs that eventually fails anyways ... from what i understand its just a simple component ? is it worth just getting them recapped in anticipation ? i imagine the cost will be rudimentary for what are still pretty awesome subs all these years later

in nay case its good there are rudimentary fixes for these things

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #10791 of 10872 Old 06-24-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
what is it on the DDs that eventually fails anyways ... from what i understand its just a simple component ? is it worth just getting them recapped in anticipation ? i imagine the cost will be rudimentary for what are still pretty awesome subs all these years later

in nay case its good there are rudimentary fixes for these things
If your sub does not have EQ then yes, should be pretty straight forward.

The reason I have a DD15 is because Velodyne no longer had the parts for their standalone amp.

Not sure what was proprietary about it but that was what they said at the time.

But repair costs can be high depending on where you send it leading to a possible decision, (especially if you live in the US), to simply replace as quality subs can be had for much less than what Velodyne used to charge.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10792 of 10872 Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 293
You might want to search the used market for a Velodyne SMS-1 that can provide acoustic room correction for 3 subs. You can let it set parameters based on its sweeps or you can tweak the many adjustments available. You do need to set crossover and slope, and tweaking requires a video display.
post #10793 of 10872 Old 06-25-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If your sub does not have EQ then yes, should be pretty straight forward.

The reason I have a DD15 is because Velodyne no longer had the parts for their standalone amp.

Not sure what was proprietary about it but that was what they said at the time.

But repair costs can be high depending on where you send it leading to a possible decision, (especially if you live in the US), to simply replace as quality subs can be had for much less than what Velodyne used to charge.
sorry none of this is making any sense ? the DD15 does have the EQ ...always had. not sure why asking if it doesnt ? perhaps not fully up on the subwoofer in question.

am not sure why saying re repair costs being high. because they aren't. its just some rudimentary parts they replace. hence was my original question what are the parts that are failing if its just caps ...cant the amps just be recapped ? its a pretty straight forward exercise and worth doing prior to going bung... if unaware what is being fixed / replaced perhaps leave to someone who is aware ? perhaps someone will come along who can answer ?

as far as replacing with quality subs, sorry for me DD15 are sunk cost. costing me nothing. id rather repair them if an when they might have an issue for the small cost than replace with quite considerable cost for anything akin to kind of sub they are

post #10794 of 10872 Old 06-25-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
sorry none of this is making any sense ? the DD15 does have the EQ ...always had. not sure why asking if it doesnt ? perhaps not fully up on the subwoofer in question.

am not sure why saying re repair costs being high. because they aren't. its just some rudimentary parts they replace. hence was my original question what are the parts that are failing if its just caps ...cant the amps just be recapped ? its a pretty straight forward exercise and worth doing prior to going bung... if unaware what is being fixed / replaced perhaps leave to someone who is aware ? perhaps someone will come along who can answer ?

as far as replacing with quality subs, sorry for me DD15 are sunk cost. costing me nothing. id rather repair them if an when they might have an issue for the small cost than replace with quite considerable cost for anything akin to kind of sub they are
I have had multiple Velodyne subs over the years, and currently have 2 DD15s (not +). One I had for a while and it started humming in 2011 when several electrolytic failed. Pic attached. Since I had purchased the sub directly from Velodyne and knew some of the people there, I was able to get it fixed by them fairly quickly.

I had the same thing with a previous V sub and again it was repaired at Velodyne, but that was many years ago. My 2nd DD15 I picked up more recently on EBay, and so far so good with that one. If either of my current DD15s start to hum or pop, I'll likely do the cap replacement myself. Given the quality of the sub and the PEQ, they are worth keeping going.

I see no reason why re-caping before failure would not be a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VelodyneAmp.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	2584328  

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #10795 of 10872 Old 06-25-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Part of my post was missing so that might have confused you.

The REASON I have a DD15 is because Velodyne no longer had the proprietary parts to repair the standalone amp in my ULD15s standalone amp.

I bought the ULD15 in 1986 and it lasted almost 20 years before repairs were no longer possible on the amp.

They had great service at the time so they offered me the DD15 for $1200 which is why I have it.

Last year it failed at year nine and cost $700 to repair the amp AND EQ section.

If the EQ section has proprietary parts those MIGHT run out.

If there are no proprietary parts then repairs should not be a problem.

I have since discovered a less expensive repair shop thanks to AVS members that specializes in Velodynes so if I have another failure I'll give them a try.

https://www.ebcelectronics.com/velod...r-Service.html
jamiebosco likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10796 of 10872 Old 06-26-2019, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Part of my post was missing so that might have confused you.

The REASON I have a DD15 is because Velodyne no longer had the proprietary parts to repair the standalone amp in my ULD15s standalone amp.

I bought the ULD15 in 1986 and it lasted almost 20 years before repairs were no longer possible on the amp.

They had great service at the time so they offered me the DD15 for $1200 which is why I have it.

Last year it failed at year nine and cost $700 to repair the amp AND EQ section.

If the EQ section has proprietary parts those MIGHT run out.

If there are no proprietary parts then repairs should not be a problem.

I have since discovered a less expensive repair shop thanks to AVS members that specializes in Velodynes so if I have another failure I'll give them a try.

https://www.ebcelectronics.com/velod...r-Service.html
understand ... makes sense now why your post initially doesnt make sense ...

at 10 year old I dont expect any maker to keep parts... where I am there is a 7 year necessary requirement by law after that....

but that's the thing. its just components that fail, and there are inexpensive fixes being made. and why i suggested if it is just components failing surely a cheaper option is to just get those replaced at a rudimentary cost. so far I have only read of caps failing,,, which again woudl expect with age.... just wondering if folk in that case are just getting them recapped in anticipation.... any tech can do that

post #10797 of 10872 Old 06-26-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
understand ... makes sense now why your post initially doesnt make sense ...

at 10 year old I dont expect any maker to keep parts... where I am there is a 7 year necessary requirement by law after that....

but that's the thing. its just components that fail, and there are inexpensive fixes being made. and why i suggested if it is just components failing surely a cheaper option is to just get those replaced at a rudimentary cost. so far I have only read of caps failing,,, which again woudl expect with age.... just wondering if folk in that case are just getting them recapped in anticipation.... any tech can do that
A lot depends on which Velodyne unit you want to repair and what the problem is.

The older units with class AB amplifier are quite easy to repair with the exception of the servo/accelerometer. The accelerometer's are usually not repairable unless you can find the part. Sometimes the servo has been built into the driver and sometimes they are on the main board.

The DSP circuit in the DD unit's are generally unrepeatable; parts, firmware, etc. are not available.

The newer units with class D amplifiers, Velodynes ERS amplifiers, aren't so easy to work on. There is no isolation transformer and dangerous high voltage is present when you plug it in. A lot of failures from high heat that causes component failure which can often short resulting in un-repairable damage to the board traces. Copious amounts of hot glue applied everywhere to limit vibration failure issues require labor hours to remove before you can replace anything. These were designed as throwaway and replace units. With Velodyne out of business...

There are a few shops that will repair the class D/ERS units, usually at a flat rate of $200-$300.

Pix of a class D unit for reference.

gajCA likes this.
post #10798 of 10872 Old 06-26-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A lot depends on which Velodyne unit you want to repair and what the problem is.

~

~

oh I have always been talking Velodyne DD units. hopefully very clear from my posting

Quote:
~

~
The DSP circuit in the DD unit's are generally unrepeatable; parts, firmware, etc. are not available.

The newer units with class D amplifiers, Velodynes ERS amplifiers, aren't so easy to work on. There is no isolation transformer and dangerous high voltage is present when you plug it in. A lot of failures from high heat that causes component failure which can often short resulting in un-repairable damage to the board traces. Copious amounts of hot glue applied everywhere to limit vibration failure issues require labor hours to remove before you can replace anything. These were designed as throwaway and replace units. With Velodyne out of business...

~
the amp units is all I have heard of failing, the drivers seem unbustable

this is not unusual with subs and especially class D these days. I know of someone with an expensive B&W sub with blown class D amp, with even amp available is uneconomical a fix....

I have no doubt they are not easy to fix. but also given 10 years life is probably either seen as having served an economical life or repairing

Quote:
~

There are a few shops that will repair the class D/ERS units, usually at a flat rate of $200-$300.

~
yes there seem a few places that seem to do fix economically I would think in that price range and worth it given you are not going to get a sub of this quality for that sort of money....

my question was more that given it is possible and economical to fix failing component with eventual age.... is it something worth doing proactively ie change it before it fails ie with the failing parts removed and replaced..... it was just a question and taking a proactive approach to this kind of thing

everything can and will fail in complex electromechanical things nothing is infallible... its just whether want to do something about it or let it fail and do so then I guess ....

post #10799 of 10872 Old 06-26-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

my question was more that given it is possible and economical to fix failing component with eventual age.... is it something worth doing proactively ie change it before it fails ie with the failing parts removed and replaced..... it was just a question and taking a proactive approach to this kind of thing

everything can and will fail in complex electromechanical things nothing is infallible... its just whether want to do something about it or let it fail and do so then I guess ....
Glass half full/half empty.

Since it would cost the same flat rate to replace the caps vs. a repair when it stops working at this point... I'm in the if it ain't broke don't fix it camp.
alebonau and shs1234 like this.
post #10800 of 10872 Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glass half full/half empty.

Since it would cost the same flat rate to replace the caps vs. a repair when it stops working at this point... I'm in the if it ain't broke don't fix it camp.
very true ! I am in that boat myself right now. it aint broke...

look something things do tend to go a fair while .and if no attention needed ... why start poking and prodding i guess.

but it can be messy when things like caps go... though ie the clean up and what else might take out the same time too ? thats all thinking i guess.

anyways perhaps ill just keep on the track of it aint broke

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page