* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #10891 of 10909 Old 12-15-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesnorth View Post
So after 5 years my HGS-18 is popping again. I had it serviced at Velodyne in California. After many hours of web serfing, it seems these subs Breck down quite a bit. I wish last time this happened. They would have said exactly what was wrong, and what part went bad.
I saw on a different sub that was popping he took it apart and found a bunch of brown glue that had become conductive over time. Cleaned it up and replaced the diodes under it. And it was fixed.
Most likely I'll have to ship the amp to the repair guy in NJ. $200 cost is not to bad. Velodyne charged me $300, and I brought it to their doorstep.
"The repair guy in NJ" is Paul and you won't be disappointed.

He renewed my HGS-12!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10909 Old 12-15-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
Quote:
So after 5 years my HGS-18 is popping again. I had it serviced at Velodyne in California. After many hours of web serfing, it seems these subs Breck down quite a bit. I wish last time this happened. They would have said exactly what was wrong, and what part went bad.
I saw on a different sub that was popping he took it apart and found a bunch of brown glue that had become conductive over time. Cleaned it up and replaced the diodes under it. And it was fixed.
Most likely I'll have to ship the amp to the repair guy in NJ. $200 cost is not to bad. Velodyne charged me $300, and I brought it to their doorstep.
"The repair guy in NJ" is Paul and you won't be disappointed.

He renewed my HGS-12!
Did he let you know what went wrong?
Like one cap was bad and one transistor?
post #10893 of 10909 Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did he let you know what went wrong?
Like one cap was bad and one transistor?
I didn't ask and he didn't tell.

I was just happy that an unusable sub was now back to perfect working order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10894 of 10909 Old 12-30-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Long time DD12 user here...great sub...so sad to hear that Velodyne gave up when they went Lidar but happy that Mansour Mamaghani of Audio Reference in Germany is picking up the baton. The brand deserves to live on IMHO.

I have a question; I hear a lot about the MiniDSP and was wondering what, if any advantages it might have over the built-in EQ/DSP that lives inside my DD12?

Obviously it is a much newer product but would there be any advantage in installing one if I already have a similar feature built-in to the DD12 itself?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
post #10895 of 10909 Old 12-30-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, feels like I lived under a rock. For a company like this to just drop their main niche products because they found another more profitable niche...

I still own a fully restored ULD-15 that I restored around 10 years ago, and I still use it with my vintage stereo system.
post #10896 of 10909 Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Long time DD12 user here...great sub...so sad to hear that Velodyne gave up when they went Lidar but happy that Mansour Mamaghani of Audio Reference in Germany is picking up the baton. The brand deserves to live on IMHO.
I have a question; I hear a lot about the MiniDSP and was wondering what, if any advantages it might have over the built-in EQ/DSP that lives inside my DD12? Obviously it is a much newer product but would there be any advantage in installing one if I already have a similar feature built-in to the DD12 itself? Thanks & kind regards, -=Glyn=-

The mini dsp would be advatages if you have multiple subs. Don't think it's worth it given what you have The mini dsp also requires the use of rew and a mic for measurements as well. Having said that if you're running multiple subs I think it's a must. Made a huge difference for my system.
Mike
post #10897 of 10909 Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 63 View Post
I have a question; I hear a lot about the MiniDSP and was wondering what, if any advantages it might have over the built-in EQ/DSP that lives inside my DD12? Obviously it is a much newer product but would there be any advantage in installing one if I already have a similar feature built-in to the DD12 itself? Thanks & kind regards, -=Glyn=-

The mini dsp would be advatages if you have multiple subs. Don't think it's worth it given what you have The mini dsp also requires the use of rew and a mic for measurements as well. Having said that if you're running multiple subs I think it's a must. Made a huge difference for my system.
Mike
Many new receivers have individual subwoofer management plus Audyssey MultiEQ XT32, which can use multiple sub information in its calibration. I just got Denon DVR-X3600H, which has both of these features, so I'm retiring my Velodyne SMS-1, and can finally enjoy individual sub calibration for my two subwoofers.

Introduction of newer receivers and newer Audyssey is making these awesome sub calibration boxes obsolete. I always wanted SVS subwoofer DSP box, since it could do two subs, but could only afford SMS-1. Now I don't need either.
post #10898 of 10909 Old 12-31-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9547 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post

I have a question; I hear a lot about the MiniDSP and was wondering what, if any advantages it might have over the built-in EQ/DSP that lives inside my DD12?

Obviously it is a much newer product but would there be any advantage in installing one if I already have a similar feature built-in to the DD12 itself?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
You'd have to get a Umik or similar to measure a before and after EQ and if you still have massive peaks, you could use a mini dsp to knock them down.

I have a DD15 and a Umik I used in my secondary system as I had to use a MiniDSP in my secondary room as a crossover and as a bonus used it to knock down peaks shown by REW to eq them.

I have never felt the desire to use the Umik with REW to measure the DD15 in my secondary room as it sounds fine.

The Umik has stayed in the box since I eq'd my subs other than lending it to a nearby AVS member once.

If you are near Sonoma County you are welcome to borrow my Umik if you like.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10899 of 10909 Old 12-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As mentioned if your using multiple subs(3 or more) the mini dsp will do a better job then audessey sub eq. It is very good but I still got better results using the mini.I don't know exactly what the dd12 does. My understanding is that it time aligns and sets PeQ filters. Correct?
post #10900 of 10909 Old 01-04-2020, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I've misplaced the 12 VDC power supply for a SMS-1. Does anyone know where I can buy one or buy a substitute" One poster claimed Velodyne specs were 500 MA.

db
post #10901 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have any idea what to change on a Velodyne DD10+ to remove the AutoOff feature that disables RS232 and 12v trigger to work?

Rob Morse seemed to know - but not here anymore - so anyone else?
post #10902 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is Velodyne in business anymore? Or do they care about customers of their subs at all? I have a a 15" DLS-R series subwoofer that quit working a few months ago and have sent numerous e-mails to the company about a repair or replacement of the amp (As the amp is what quit). I heard nothing from them, crickets. Any idea where I can get this thing repaired?

Thanks,
post #10903 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Is Velodyne in business anymore? Or do they care about customers of their subs at all? I have a a 15" DLS-R series subwoofer that quit working a few months ago and have sent numerous e-mails to the company about a repair or replacement of the amp (As the amp is what quit). I heard nothing from them, crickets. Any idea where I can get this thing repaired?

Thanks,
They've been sold and are in transition. They are taking inquires for service now.

https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/service/

I would also highly recommend ebc electronics. He does a flat rate repair. Excellent work.

https://www.ebcelectronics.com/
Talontsi96 likes this.
post #10904 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Velodyne Acoustics has gone the way of the dodo.
No... they are back under new owners,

https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/
Talontsi96 likes this.
post #10905 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Thanks, guys, I'll give it another shot.
post #10906 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
They've been sold and are in transition. They are taking inquires for service now.

I would also highly recommend ebc electronics. He does a flat rate repair. Excellent work.

Any decent repair places in Canada? the shipping to the US and dealing with customs is a real turnoff.
post #10907 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

According to the new website, Velodyne will not be doing the repairs -

" We will assist you to find an Authorized Dealer or Service Center in your area to troubleshoot the product to confirm that service is required,
provide any warranty or non-warranty repair services, and handle any inquiries for product parts and accessories ... "

I would heartily recommend to use EBC Electronics in New Jersey.

I have and Paul is honest, his prices are reasonable and he's a pro!
post #10908 of 10909 Old 01-14-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Any decent repair places in Canada? the shipping to the US and dealing with customs is a real turnoff.
Sorry, google or contact Velodyne. There was a shop in Windsor but it closed.
post #10909 of 10909 Old 01-16-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I've used a pair of Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers for years, but I recently bought a third from a private party who included Outlaw's Guide to the SMS-1, by far the best written guide/manual I've ever read. Wish there was such a guide for Roon. If you use an SMS-1 it's worthwhile to try to find a copy of that guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page