* Offical Velodyne Support Thread * - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #10921 of 10938 Old 01-29-2020, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 4732
Well, an easy way to tell if the monster is limiting your avr is to plug your AVR straight into the wall, and see if it makes any difference. Shouldn't take too long to figure it out.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 10938 Old 01-30-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFinTx View Post
Low Frequency Containment - reduces low bass frequency slightly “from traveling through walls without sacrificing bass enjoyment in the listening room”. I have this OFF
OK, that's an Audyssey setting...

Well, there's no reason to have the problem you're outlining other than how the equipment is setup.

With more carful reading on my part it does look like you can manually adjust the "volume" level on the Velodyne SC-1250 amplifier. The default volume value is supposed to be set at 30 from the factory according to the manual. I would suggest that you move the volume control up and down to find the range values. In other words, something like 0-100. Set the volume at 50%. So if it's 0-100 you would set it at 50. If it's not adequate you can increase it from the SC-1250 as well as increase the output from the Denon AVR or both if necessary.

Then go back and very carefully read the Denon manual to familiarize yourself with all it's setup functions. After that, reference the manual and step by step very carfully follow the manual for setup and running Audyssey.

If you're still having problems after that, the only thing I can suggest is that there might be something wrong with the in-wall driver.

If there is nothing wrong with the in-wall driver unit and you require more bass output, you can add additional subwoofers, passive or active to the SC-1250 unit.
post #10923 of 10938 Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
OK, that's an Audyssey setting...

Well, there's no reason to have the problem you're outlining other than how the equipment is setup.

With more carful reading on my part it does look like you can manually adjust the "volume" level on the Velodyne SC-1250 amplifier. The default volume value is supposed to be set at 30 from the factory according to the manual. I would suggest that you move the volume control up and down to find the range values. In other words, something like 0-100. Set the volume at 50%. So if it's 0-100 you would set it at 50. If it's not adequate you can increase it from the SC-1250 as well as increase the output from the Denon AVR or both if necessary.

Then go back and very carefully read the Denon manual to familiarize yourself with all it's setup functions. After that, reference the manual and step by step very carfully follow the manual for setup and running Audyssey.

If you're still having problems after that, the only thing I can suggest is that there might be something wrong with the in-wall driver.

If there is nothing wrong with the in-wall driver unit and you require more bass output, you can add additional subwoofers, passive or active to the SC-1250 unit.
Thank you for all the guidance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10924 of 10938 Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I have a DD-12+ 220V version.

Due to European regulation I understood that the sub will always automatically power off if no input signal, and inactive power mode does not work.

Do anybody know any way to modify this, indulging things like soldering etc?

I would want to be in full control myself when sub is on, otherwise I have problem with my logitech remote scenes to work properly.

Help appreciated!
post #10925 of 10938 Old 02-06-2020, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 46
SO I contacted Velodyne support. The amp for my DLS-R will cost me $250 USD plus shipping. Not sure if this is worth it. Any thoughts? I bet it will be close to $400 CAN by the time I pay for shipping and exchange. Is there anything that would be comparable to this Velodyne for close to the repair cost or is it still worth getting the replacement amp?
post #10926 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What dls r unit are you talking about?
post #10927 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 63 View Post
What dls r unit are you talking about?
I got the DLS 5000R, 15" unit
post #10928 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9702 Post(s)
Liked: 6731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
SO I contacted Velodyne support. The amp for my DLS-R will cost me $250 USD plus shipping. Not sure if this is worth it. Any thoughts? I bet it will be close to $400 CAN by the time I pay for shipping and exchange. Is there anything that would be comparable to this Velodyne for close to the repair cost or is it still worth getting the replacement amp?
I'd get the amp repaired.

Can't get anything close to the performance in Canada of your 600 watt rms 15" sub for under $1000 CAN.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10929 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I'd get the amp repaired.

Can't get anything close to the performance in Canada of your 600 watt rms 15" sub for under $1000 CAN.
Thanks, I'll end up ordering the replacement Amp.
post #10930 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 01:46 PM

How was it determined that the amp is fried on dlr. I'm in Ottawa and having mine repaired at a local shop. That is a nice Sub. Svs is having a sale right now I believe too.

Last edited by Rich 63; 02-10-2020 at 10:16 AM.
post #10931 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Angry Microvee 50hz hum

2nd hand microvee. Sounds like ground loop hum (and touching various bits does make hum increase and decrease) but I've tried most common tricks to fix ground loop (separation transformer, receiver and sub on same socket, etc) but nothing works.

On the other hand if I use my mobile phone as audio source it works fine, no hum.

Still, my best guess is that the plate amp is a bit ill.. perhaps capacitors that lost the will to live?

Suggestions?

Kodi Streamer -> Denon X4500 -> Nord 500DMUP -> Quad 2912
post #10932 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntloos View Post
2nd hand microvee. Sounds like ground loop hum (and touching various bits does make hum increase and decrease) but I've tried most common tricks to fix ground loop (separation transformer, receiver and sub on same socket, etc) but nothing works.

On the other hand if I use my mobile phone as audio source it works fine, no hum.

Still, my best guess is that the plate amp is a bit ill.. perhaps capacitors that lost the will to live?

Suggestions?
ebcelectronic.com in New Jersey.

Paul, the owner knows Velodynes, brought mine back to life!

Highly recommended.
post #10933 of 10938 Old 02-07-2020, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellKrell View Post
ebcelectronic.com in New Jersey.

Paul, the owner knows Velodynes, brought mine back to life!

Highly recommended.
Sadly I'm in the United Kingdom, but I suppose I could try them if nobody else has any suggestions?

Kodi Streamer -> Denon X4500 -> Nord 500DMUP -> Quad 2912
post #10934 of 10938 Old 02-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Just an fyi. I live in Ottawa Canada. Needed some work done on a sub.
So far the extent of the help I recieved from velodyne is a list of authorized dealers. Expected I guess but, surprise. They are all in Toronto.
So I contacted the only speaker place here in ottawa.I was informed that many times they can fix a unit unless its a proprietary part.Old velodyne would only sell repair parts to authorized service centers.So bottom line.
If your outside of Toronto here in Canada your S. O. L.
Kind of rediculious. If I want to repair a sub I own that is out of warranty why can't I do it the most affordable way possible. So waiting for an update from the shop here in Ottawa. Hoping it's a cap or something small.
post #10935 of 10938 Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Velodyne SC-1250 Blows Smoke

I purchased a new in box Velodyne SC-1250 that was old stock for the seller. Five minutes into the first useful moments of this unit, it starting blowing smoke. I've repaired other failed Velodyne products through the help of others who have shared their experiences. Capacitors are a common failure component. Sure enough, initial inspection suggests that one of the little tantalum capacitors did in fact release its magic smoke. The internal fuse did NOT blow, but the audio was distorted along with a bad smell and black smoke. Fortunately, I was there to pull the plug before things got worse.

I'm not seeing much information on the web for this unit and wanted to see if someone had a schematic or service manual available before I continue with the troubleshooting process?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_230407.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	654.7 KB
ID:	2683914  
post #10936 of 10938 Old 02-14-2020, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys. Looking for advice. My 20 year old Velodyne F-1800R died recently. From what I’ve read the new subs have come a long way, so I was looking at new ones. I live in NYC and have a downstairs neighbor, so it’s pretty rare I use my subwoofer. I’m completely overwhelmed with information. I’ve been reading about them for weeks now. Now I’m debating repairing mine. I see EBC electronics in NJ can do it for about $200. They’re also pretty backlogged. Is it worth it? Velodyne amp failures seem pretty common. I wonder how long it would last if I got it repaired, considering the age of the other components. What if I threw in something like a Bash 500 watt plate amp? I’m not sure how that would work because it’s a servo sub, but I read a guy did it with a different Velodyne and said the sound quality improved. Or should I bite the bullet and go with something like the 15” Rythmik or comparable new subwoofer? I appreciate your opinions
post #10937 of 10938 Old 02-14-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9702 Post(s)
Liked: 6731
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN27 View Post
Hey guys. Looking for advice. My 20 year old Velodyne F-1800R died recently. From what I’ve read the new subs have come a long way, so I was looking at new ones. I live in NYC and have a downstairs neighbor, so it’s pretty rare I use my subwoofer. I’m completely overwhelmed with information. I’ve been reading about them for weeks now. Now I’m debating repairing mine. I see EBC electronics in NJ can do it for about $200. They’re also pretty backlogged. Is it worth it? Velodyne amp failures seem pretty common. I wonder how long it would last if I got it repaired, considering the age of the other components. What if I threw in something like a Bash 500 watt plate amp? I’m not sure how that would work because it’s a servo sub, but I read a guy did it with a different Velodyne and said the sound quality improved. Or should I bite the bullet and go with something like the 15” Rythmik or comparable new subwoofer? I appreciate your opinions
If you are happy with the sound and size repair it.

When my DD15 dies, (again), I think I'm going to repair it, give it to a relative and get dual 12" Rhythmiks.

I have duals in my secondary room and I'm convinced dual smaller subs are better than a single larger subs as articles have suggested.
humbland likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10938 of 10938 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
update. Got my amp plate back from ECB.
They tested it and found no problem with it.
So the popping and crackling is from a bad accelerometer.
New Velodyne company has a new driver for $700 plus shipping. Not sure I want to put more money into another repair of it. So I asked for the Hgs-18 service docs. Or such and they are looking into it. I know the accelerometer is behind the dust cap and can cut out the existing one to work on the meter.
From what iv read, it seems each one is calibrated for the driver. If I can fix the accelerometer and get it to where it should be great.
As far as I know, I could remove the cap and find it has become a cold solder joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Acoustics , Velodyne Impact 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Wiconnect 10 Wireless Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 8 8 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 10 10 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 12 12 Subwoofer , Velodyne Eq Max 15 15 Subwoofer , Velodyne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page