Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Bass EQ for Filtered Games

So there is this wonderful thread by @PioManiac, getting lots of data from @aron7awol on how to restore filtered ULF content from popular movies and I thought that we also need a similar thread for video games!
Getting useful data from a game is more difficult than analyzing an entire movie, you have to collect specific gameplay footage.
That gameplay footage ideally includes all of the game's sound effects with bass in it for best results, which I'm trying to do here!
Copied PioManiac's original formatting for easier orientation for those who are used to the movie thread.

List of Bass EQ'd Video Games

Alphabetical order, disregarding "A" or "The" at the start of a title.
Trilogies (or higher) will be grouped together and in chronological order

Title (click to open BEQ settings) Gameplay Source PC Release Date (according to Google)

The Crew PC (December 2014)

Crysis 3 PC (February 19, 2013)

The Elder Scrolls: Online PC (April 4, 2014)

Far Cry 5 PC (March 27, 2018)

Frostpunk PC (April 24, 2018)

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild PC [CEMU] (March 3, 2017)

Prey PC (May 5, 2017)

Vampyr PC (June 5, 2018)

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus PC (October 27, 2017)

Newer BEQ charts might be updated in the future if I get more footage and notice that the graphs differ greatly.
Don't use these BEQs if your equipment isn't well protected, it is possible that I have overlooked SFX which might damage your sub with the BEQ applied.

Background info and explanation:

The problem with video games is the same as with most movies: bass often lacks force, weight and impact as you might describe it.
Today I've been playing Far Cry 5 on my HT setup. It's a rig I use for HT, gaming and music listening with a flat in-room response down to 15Hz ([email protected]). I've been looking forward to hear some ground shaking grenade explosions and windy helicopter landings. What I got was lots of midbass, but explosions didn't quite unleash the bass-beast I wanted. I played Frostpunk before and it had some really low rumbling (15-25hz) when you zoomed in on the generator or similar heavy machinery, which created a fitting mood considering the dark atmosphere of the game.

I initially started this thread to get some general discussion going but quickly made 3 graphs an realized that it's pretty easy to get a good amount of useful footage, if you know a game well enough.

I'll need some help on this, as I alone can't put together an extensive list covering most major game releases. I encourage you to gather some test footage and send me an audio file of a game you'd like to have BEQ'd. I will do the rest of the work and upload a BEQ chart for that game.

Ideally that audio file will be 5 minutes or longer, containing all sound effects with bass in it which you can think of.
For Far Cry for example, I went through different weapons, shot all a few times, caused many different explosions, drove cars and flew a helicopter, died and included many menu effects.
You can extract audio from video files easily using MKVtoolnix! Don't worry if the resulting file won't play on your system, it'll work.

If you wanna read more on bass EQ, read my post here or just read through the first few posts in the BEQ'd movies thread.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games

Last edited by peniku8; 07-02-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What i always do is set sub level on my avr to + 4-8db. Some games are pretty boring with there sound however there are a few that are really good. for the horror fans dead space has amazing sound design:

then battlefield 1 has some good bass and sound design too.
And thats about it, well atleast from what i know

(excuse any typos)
Soulburner and biga6761 like this.
post #3 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I've thought about how it would be awesome to have bass graphs for video games every time I'm playing one. I'm playing Resident Evil 2 on PS4 Pro currently at -10MV and it has some ok bass sections. Nothing to brag about, though. Black Ops 4 has a bass boost setting and the game has some pretty good bass with explosions and gunfire.

Mr X chasing you around in RE2 sounds awesome in surround speakers and is nerve-racking, lol.

Last edited by Spewdom; 02-01-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

I think you guys might not entirely be with me, so I'll be giving some more insight on the topic. Don't mind if you know this already, but I'm sure there are many who don't.

The goal of BEQ is to restore filtered frequencies. Why do studios filter certain frequencies? They do that to not overly stress 'consumer' audio systems, in most cases these are frequencies below 25Hz, which require some decent woofing to be reproduced. Often, drastic methods such as a 48db/octave low cut are applied between 20Hz and 25Hz. That frees headroom on systems which are not capable of playing back these frequencies well, which is a good thing for people owning such a system (which is probably 99.9% of the population). Those who have the low end capabilities, like the owners of extremely expensive subwoofers or most DIY'ers, will be missing those filtered frequencies, but in most cases the dynamic range of the content will be high enough to bring back that sweet ULF!
And I also just realized that you can read a similar, probably better explanation in the thread I linked in the op under "Why BEQ?".

So the essence is: while there might be lots of bass in many games, there will be probably close to no ULF in any.
See my Far Cry 5 example above, the car explosion in the game probably peaked somewhere around 120db around 60-70Hz on my system, but still didn't have the force a similar explosion with sub 25Hz content would have, it was just loud and annoying.
I will record some FC5 gameplay later the day any will post a frequency graph here. I'll fire different weapons, cause explosions and do some sort of a lazy man's BEQ.
Firing a pistol with a noise surpressor has more low end bass than the car explosion had, which means bringing the explosion to full awesomeness will not be possible or the pistol shot will blow my windows out. That also proves that games seem to be more optimized towards systems with a lower dynamic range. If the average sub tops out at 110db in a room it's no wonder that they do this, movies are playing in cinemas after all which have a much better system than the average gamer of course.
I wish they would add an audio setting in the game which switches from normal mode to 'high dynamic range, extended frequency range mode' hehe.
Sadly the compressor in the miniDsp can't take a greater ratio than 1:1 (so it would act as an expander).

Well I hope I could shed some light on the topic. Let's see what FC5's graph looks like.
IAH and biga6761 like this.

SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
post #5 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
I've thought about how it would be awesome to have bass graphs for video games every time I'm playing one. I'm playing Resident Evil 2 on PS4 Pro currently at -10MV and it has some ok bass sections. Nothing to brag about, though. Black Ops 4 has a bass boost setting and the game has some pretty good bass with explosions and gunfire.

Mr X chasing you around in RE2 sounds awesome in surround speakers and is nerve-racking, lol.

Problem with bass boosts is that they're either a low shelf of say 3-6db around like 60Hz or a PEQ even.
Neither one will restore filtered frequencies (in most cases). Imagine a 20Hz LS called 'Bass Boost' and less than 1% of the users will hear a difference, that is exactly the problem which BEQ adresses.
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #6 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Yeah, I know what BEQ does, I've read that thread. I'm just adding about how it would be awesome to have bass graphs for video games with and without BEQ. A lot of games lack bass, period. ULF and bass above is pathetic a lot of times. That's why I mentioned BO4. It might be around 25-35Hz (not sure) but explosions and guns have a nice bass kick to 'em.

There's a section in the game SOMA that sounds like it goes below 20Hz. It was part of the atmosphere soundtrack playing to build tension and it pushed a decent amount of wind from my ports.
biga6761 likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I know what BEQ does, I've read that thread. I'm just adding about how it would be awesome to have bass graphs for video games with and without BEQ. A lot of games lack bass, period. ULF and bass above is pathetic a lot of times. That's why I mentioned BO4. It might be around 25-35Hz (not sure) but explosions and guns have a nice bass kick to 'em.

There's a section in the game SOMA that sounds like it goes below 20Hz. It was part of the atmosphere soundtrack playing to build tension and it pushed a decent amount of wind from my ports.

Yes, graphs for games would be killer! Expect to see at least a Far Cry 5 graph later the day..
I think I also remember Bad Company 2 having some decent bass effects, played that on new headphones with my first USB audio interface back then, that was quite an experience if you've never had a proper subwoofer for a gaming rig. A year later two 18" subs stood in my room..
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #8 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

So I gave it a shot. Recorded 7 short clips totaling in ~4 minutes of gameplay. I hit record whenever I knew something loud and bass-y was about to happen, which included sniper rifle shots, muted pistol shots, explosions (dynamite) in closed rooms and in the open and about a minute of helo action. I also included some menu SFX and the muffled sound which plays when you die.

You'll notice that I only recorded loud segments because the 'average' and the 'peak' graphs are much closer to eachother compared to movies or general gameplay, unless you're playing your shooters the Rambo style I guess. It's only really the peaks which matter here anyways, but the average graph still provides additional information, which is why I didn't entirely get rid of it.

Also please note that I've just used BEQ designer for the first time, so uhh.. be careful I guess? I know my way around filters (been running a recording studio for years) but well you know, I'm not perfect, so if you find any mistakes, please don't be shy and point them out! I tried to make the graph as similar as possible to aron's graphs so we don't have to think twice about what we're looking at!

What you see here in FC5 is about what I suspected: a cut-off at 25Hz and a peak at ~66.6Hz (rough estimate ) which is caused by most of the explosions in the game (they seem to be all the same..).
Have fun trying this one out, I'll do Frostpunk too and maybe some other games, whenever I get the time to!

Edit: Re-did the BEQ with an added menu sfx which shows up in the 13Hz peak. If you dislike that just adjust the PEQ gain to your liking.
I also added a -6db PEQ around 64Hz on my personal setting because the mid-bass explosions started annoying me. It's an explosion, not a kick drum!

Far Cry 5

avtvhdbass and biga6761 like this.

SKHorn Build

Last edited by peniku8; 02-27-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #9 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 05:14 AM

Pretty cool. If I can get more bass from BEQ-ing games that definitely makes me want to buy the the items needed and finally become a part of the BEQ family.
biga6761 likes this.
post #10 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Pretty cool. If I can get more bass from BEQ-ing games that definitely makes me want to buy the the items needed and finally become a part of the BEQ family.
Which is basically just the miniDsp 2x4HD for 300 bucks!

SKHorn Build
post #11 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Frostpunk

biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build

Last edited by peniku8; 02-27-2019 at 01:48 PM.
post #12 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

The Elder Scrolls: Online

biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build

Last edited by peniku8; 02-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #13 of 39 Old 02-03-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Updated the first post to link to the BEQ'd games and re-wrote the entire post basically. If you wanna help me, drop me a message!

SKHorn Build
post #14 of 39 Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try to get some more games listed here, I still have The Witcher 3, Vampyr and Assassin's Creed Syndicate on the computer.
I could also do The Crew, but I'm unsure if racing games would be a good fit, can imagine that ULF can get annoying quickly there unless it really only plays when you're crashing or something. I wouldn't want to be assaulted by constant 10Hz rumble at 120db just because I'm driving off-road or something.
Should I generally neglect racing games or should I just post em? It's not like BEQ becomes mandatory as soon as you have a graph
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #15 of 39 Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot that the miniDsp doesn't apply filters below 10Hz. Fixed Frostpunk with a workaround!
Will also re-do Far Cry 5 as I think I've found some nasty menu effects which have ridiculous ULF content.
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build

Last edited by peniku8; 03-24-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #16 of 39 Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
I'm not a gamer on my rig (at least not yet anyway) but if BEQ works as well on these games as it does for movies in the other BEQ thread, then way cool!!! Game changer for sure (pun intended)
biga6761 likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #17 of 39 Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
I'm not a gamer on my rig (at least not yet anyway) but if BEQ works as well on these games as it does for movies in the other BEQ thread, then way cool!!! Game changer for sure (pun intended)
It all depends on the game.. like I stated earlier, Far Cry 5 was much better with BEQ, but this sfx which is playing when you read a note is just so out of balance. I tracked it down and found that it's ~12.7Hz. Then also re-did the FC5 BEQ which I'll be posting now, it's quite different with that menu effect.
That's what you get when different people take care of explosions (mid bass fest) and menu effects (ULF fest). Trying to find the right balance for the BEQ will be hard as you'll never really catch all sound effecs which the game has to offer.. but my sub is basically indestructible so I don't even care if I might run some ULF 10db hot by accident
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #18 of 39 Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

After some more gameplay with FC5 (~10 hours) I have to say that the BEQ is really good, especially the 64hz dip restores some balance.
The only annoying thing are menu effects. They have a ridiculous amount of <25Hz, which seems pretty odd and is quite annoying. Seems like the menu effects are not filtered, but most of the rest is, which can happen since different sound designers worked on it ofc. All in all the BEQ is pretty well balanced and does way more good than bad, I enjoy it. As for TESO, the BEQ really makes some effects shine! No difference with Frostpunk since I don't have Crowsons :/
I might try downloading gameplay footage from youtube. But then again, the source is basically unknown and the BEQ might be off, I don't like the idea at all.
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #19 of 39 Old 02-27-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Vampyr

biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build

Last edited by peniku8; 05-28-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #20 of 39 Old 02-27-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

The Crew

biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #21 of 39 Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 506
This requires so much more work than movies. In games, because sound is totally random and odd bugs can cause a recorded SFX for an object to play louder than it should skews the BEQ. This is very much the issue with open world games. It's not easy to be consistent by using a set formula. I tried doing it with Red Dead Redemption 2 awhile ago and I couldn't really come up with a proper balance.

Then there are also games that don't follow the rules in regards to DRC settings. Example Resident Evil Remake 2, setting the DRC to "small" actually rolls off the lower bass regions which it shouldn't do. Naughty Dog games also has a peculiar way of handling DRC settings although thankfully, they don't roll or clip off the bass regions.

Linear games or games where you can consistently get a proper reading, I think it works. But more open ended games tend to be inconsistent as far as I've experienced.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500

Last edited by Ben Tan; 02-28-2019 at 02:03 AM.
post #22 of 39 Old 02-28-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
This requires so much more work than movies. In games, because sound is totally random and odd bugs can cause a recorded SFX for an object to play louder than it should skews the BEQ. This is very much the issue with open world games. It's not easy to be consistent by using a set formula. I tried doing it with Red Dead Redemption 2 awhile ago and I couldn't really come up with a proper balance.

Then there are also games that don't follow the rules in regards to DRC settings. Example Resident Evil Remake 2, setting the DRC to "small" actually rolls off the lower bass regions which it shouldn't do. Naughty Dog games also has a peculiar way of handling DRC settings although thankfully, they don't roll or clip off the bass regions.

Linear games or games where you can consistently get a proper reading, I think it works. But more open ended games tend to be inconsistent as far as I've experienced.

That's why I stated that knowing the game well enough is a basic requirement to do this correctly, which is also the reason why I re-made Far Cry 5's BEQ. FC5 is open world as is TESO, and imo the BEQ on both is great. If I feel like the BEQ is off, I'll record the sections in question and add these to my audio file, then look if BEQ would change. It can take several tries to get a working BEQ setting.
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #23 of 39 Old 03-01-2019, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Hats off to you for wanting to go through with it though. I'd like to help, but it's way too much work tbvh.

I'll try to help with queries whenever I can, but good luck to you either ways.
peniku8 likes this.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #24 of 39 Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hats off to you for wanting to go through with it though. I'd like to help, but it's way too much work tbvh.

I'll try to help with queries whenever I can, but good luck to you either ways.

Well since my gaming/movie time is very limited, I'm trying to max out the enjoyment I get from it, which BEQ is one aspect of.
So it's only logical for me to BEQ the games I play. If anybody else wants me to BEQ a game they play, they can send me an audio track of some footage and I'll do it, it's not like doing that is much work.
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #25 of 39 Old 03-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
Well since my gaming/movie time is very limited, I'm trying to max out the enjoyment I get from it, which BEQ is one aspect of.
So it's only logical for me to BEQ the games I play. If anybody else wants me to BEQ a game they play, they can send me an audio track of some footage and I'll do it, it's not like doing that is much work.
How can you find the lowest passage for a game if you don't even play through it first? You're only doing guesswork and that leads to a bad balance. Cutscenes do not often present what's missing from the audio.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #26 of 39 Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How can you find the lowest passage for a game if you don't even play through it first? You're only doing guesswork and that leads to a bad balance. Cutscenes do not often present what's missing from the audio.

It's not about finding the 'lowest passages', it's about finding the filter settings. Most of the SFX will come from the same studio and be similarly filtered. If you can make out how a specific sample was filtered, you can pretty much be sure that all other samples have been filtered the same way.
Record a kick drum, for example (same applies basically to any sound of relevance to BEQ) and it'll emit frequencies from 0 to far beyond our hearing capabilities. You just gotta now its basic shape and then you'll find out how it has been treated, thus being able to take counter measures.
It's a game of 'feeling', and I'm pretty confident in that (I wouldn't be running a recording studio if I wasn't ).
So, like I said, I've been pretty happy with the settings I came up with, so far, but as I also mentioned, I might be updating BEQ settings if I find different passages which fall under a different filtering setting.

Excuse any typos or logical mishaps, I just came home from carnival and am slightly intoxicated
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #27 of 39 Old 03-03-2019, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Never in my life did I think there would be a BEQ thread for games.

Couldn't be more pleasantly surprised.

Frostpunk though? I thought the bass was already great on it.

Req : FarCry Primal if possible
post #28 of 39 Old 03-03-2019, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoom89 View Post
Never in my life did I think there would be a BEQ thread for games.

Couldn't be more pleasantly surprised.

Frostpunk though? I thought the bass was already great on it.

Req : FarCry Primal if possible

Frostpunk has excellent audio design, as seen on the graphs. The only correction is sub 10Hz, which will really only affect Crowson users.
FC:P is on my list and might be done sooner than expected, gonna do Wolfenstein: The New Colossus first thou and eventually Crysis 2.
biga6761 and TheBoom89 like this.

SKHorn Build
post #29 of 39 Old 03-06-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Sound Profile "Cinema"

New BEQ, now with all cut scenes. BEQ without cut scenes below, balanced for gameplay, not good for the videos!

Old one for comparison:
Spoiler!
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build

Last edited by peniku8; 03-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #30 of 39 Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I feel like Wolfenstein is the best BEQ yet, and I think the excellent sound design plays a big role here. Although other games had more drastic BEQ settings, this one really breathes with it. Especially the scene when you're inside a building and a giant robot keeps stomping around the ruin.. Every stomp made my MA's shake my couch like the robot was stomping the couch itself. There is also some super low rumbling inside the submarine and in a few other places, this game is just made to be BEQ'd
biga6761 likes this.

SKHorn Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page