Dual monolith 10’s for bedroom (or maybe 12’s?) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 03-01-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Received them today. Very well packed and the boxes where immaculate. FedEx freight did a great job. They even delivered a day early they where supposed to be delivered Monday.

Only got to unbox them and place them in the bedroom. Should be able to listen tomorrow.

They barely fit but the wife hasn’t even noticed them yet.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update - did a quick Audyssey calibration and they really sound great. They are very clean sounding. Similar sound in my bedroom to my S2’s and Triax’s.

Audyssey set the one closest to my at -12. I have the gain set at THX, is that the minimum value?

Last edited by raynist; 03-02-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #33 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Update - did a quick Audyssey calibration and they really sound great. They are very clean sounding. Similar sound in my bedroom to my S2’s and Triax’s.

Audyssey set the one closest to my at -12. I have the gain set at THX, is that the minimum value?
Glad they sound good. No one has said anything negative about the Monliths so far. Not sure what AVR you have but for Denon/Marantz AVRs -12 is the lowest trim so no way to know if it’s truly exactly -12 (unlikely) or gain on sub is too high and you have maxed out AVRs ability to decrease sub level to achieve 75db at calibration (more likely). You should decrease sub gain on that sub until sub trim comes back as something more (less negative) than -12.
shivaji likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Right - I have the gain set all the way to the left - that says THX. Not sure if that is the lowest gain setting. A little more to the right will be -20db.

I do have a Denon - if the gain is already set at the lowest I may have to set everything manually with an SPL meter.
post #35 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just want to say, that as a fan of driving sims, that setup is amazing.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #36 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right - I have the gain set all the way to the left - that says THX. Not sure if that is the lowest gain setting. A little more to the right will be -20db.

I do have a Denon - if the gain is already set at the lowest I may have to set everything manually with an SPL meter.
Oh ok, got it. Not familiar with Monolith amps. Manual says the following:

“Level: This control allows you to adjust the output level of the subwoofer to match the main speakers in your system. We recommend starting with the LEVEL knob set to the THX position and then calibrate your system with your AV receiver, surround preamp/processor, or SPL meter. The THX position corresponds roughly to a 0dB setting.
For most home theater receivers and surround sound processors, set the LEVEL knob to point straight upwards (in the 12 o'clock position). For music systems, start with the LEVEL knob at a low setting and increase it slowly from there until the audio level matches that of the main speakers. The use of test tones (from a receiver/processor's built-in calibration function or test disc) and an SPL meter is suggested for proper level matching of all speakers.”

Not exactly sure how THX is different from 0db per above. Manual is somewhat confusing as it says to start with thx setting yet st the same time says with AVRs to start with 12 o’clock (which should be less gain than thx). Maybe re-try at 12 o’clock at go from there.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #37 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post
I just want to say, that as a fan of driving sims, that setup is amazing.
Thanks! It is intense!

I don’t get to play as often as I like though.
post #38 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post

“Level: This control allows you to adjust the output level of the subwoofer to match the main speakers in your system. We recommend starting with the LEVEL knob set to the THX position and then calibrate your system with your AV receiver, surround preamp/processor, or SPL meter. The THX position corresponds roughly to a 0dB setting.
For most home theater receivers and surround sound processors, set the LEVEL knob to point straight upwards (in the 12 o'clock position). For music systems, start with the LEVEL knob at a low setting and increase it slowly from there until the audio level matches that of the main speakers. The use of test tones (from a receiver/processor's built-in calibration function or test disc) and an SPL meter is suggested for proper level matching of all speakers.”

Not exactly sure how THX is different from 0db per above. Manual is somewhat confusing as it says to start with thx setting yet st the same time says with AVRs to start with 12 o’clock (which should be less gain than thx). Maybe re-try at 12 o’clock at go from there.
Thanks - it is not real clear what THX means exactly.

I guess I can play a test tone and then turn that knob and see what happens when I go from THX to -20.

I will give it a try tomorrow
post #39 of 45 Old 03-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks - it is not real clear what THX means exactly.

I guess I can play a test tone and then turn that knob and see what happens when I go from THX to -20.

I will give it a try tomorrow
I set my sub gain at +6dB with the EQ switch set to Extended. The gain set to THX might be good for a bedroom, but it just doesn't deliver anywhere near enough impact for me in my living room.
post #40 of 45 Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just confirmed that the THX setting is louder than the lowest setting on the gain knob. There is an indent when you turn it to the THX setting.
post #41 of 45 Old 03-03-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just confirmed that the THX setting is louder than the lowest setting on the gain knob. There is an indent when you turn it to the THX setting.
That makes sense given what manual said about it being “roughly” the same (but not exactly) as 0db. Seems to be its own gain setting separate from the range on the dial. Certainly curious what the difference is. Maybe other Monolith owners can chime in.

post #42 of 45 Old 03-03-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That makes sense given what manual said about it being “roughly” the same (but not exactly) as 0db. Seems to be its own gain setting separate from the range on the dial. Certainly curious what the difference is. Maybe other Monolith owners can chime in.
That makes sense as I had to set my gains between -6db and 0db to get them to be at -11.5
post #43 of 45 Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3396
Quote:
That makes sense as I had to set my gains between -6db and 0db to get them to be at -11.5

How do they sound compared to your previous bedroom sub setups? I’m sure it’s not a triax, but would love to know how they keep up with your speakers at volume in a smaller space and any characteristics that stand out for better or worse.

I’ve got a friend looking for a budget sub for a smaller theater build 15’x14’, and the monoprice sub sale would have been tough to not recommend one over the usual choices around $500, but his room won’t be ready for a good three months.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #44 of 45 Old 03-05-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
How do they sound compared to your previous bedroom sub setups? I’m sure it’s not a triax, but would love to know how they keep up with your speakers at volume in a smaller space and any characteristics that stand out for better or worse.

I’ve got a friend looking for a budget sub for a smaller theater build 15’x14’, and the monoprice sub sale would have been tough to not recommend one over the usual choices around $500, but his room won’t be ready for a good three months.
I ended up with dual 12’s.

Previous setups were dual SVS SB-12NSD’s and dual SVS SB13+’s.

These sound much cleaner than the SB12’s and similar to the 13’s. They really sound like my other sealed subs (triaxs and S2’s)

I really haven’t played them loud yet - maybe -20 max but I really like them so far.
CallingMrBenzo and Sekosche like this.
post #45 of 45 Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Took my wife 6 days to realize I got new subs for the bedroom. She only noticed one so far. She called me in to ask when I got the one next to our bed. I told her almost a week ago. She was only mad that I didn’t let her vacuum that corner before it put it there. She’s a keeper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page