Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 985
HSU, hands down. The only way I’d consider the Klipsch is if it can be had at substantial discount. Might not even choose it then.
darthray, Todd G. and d-rail34 like this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 373
+1 on the Hsu. I've got one--it's great in our main floor living room.
darthray and d-rail34 like this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #33 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Hsu or almost any Internet Direct sub brand over Klipsch. Cutting out the middle man (the store) will get you more sub for less money. I haven't owned Hsu but they get great reviews for sound quality vs price and high reliability.
darthray and Todd G. like this.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hsu is a very highly regarded sub for the price around here and would be a better choice from what I have read.

I am considering getting an upgrade from my current towers and was wondering how you liked the Klipsch RP-8000's. How do they sound to you and do you find them equally good for home theater and music? Thanks.
post #35 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenns View Post
hsu is a very highly regarded sub for the price around here and would be a better choice from what i have read.

I am considering getting an upgrade from my current towers and was wondering how you liked the klipsch rp-8000's. How do they sound to you and do you find them equally good for home theater and music? Thanks.
i'm about to pull the triggfer on me a set was wondering about the sub first. I am having second thought about the 8000f i might get a set of the rp-280f there is nothing differnt that i have read really. Check it out and let me know.
post #36 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinnw2 View Post
i'm about to pull the triggfer on me a set was wondering about the sub first. I am having second thought about the 8000f i might get a set of the rp-280f there is nothing differnt that i have read really. Check it out and let me know.
The RP-280f is considered a good choice, and very comparable to the 8000f. I believe they have changed the tweeter design somewhat in the 8000f which is suppose to make it a little less bright. I doubt it is much of an improvement, but if about the same price, I would probably still go for the newer model. The rp-280f's seem a little harder to come by at much of a discount compared to the 8000f's. Let me know what you find out about it as well. I am not sure I will go with Klipsch, but it is one of the brands that I am considering.
drh3b likes this.
post #37 of 53 Old 03-17-2019, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennS View Post
The RP-280f is considered a good choice, and very comparable to the 8000f. I believe they have changed the tweeter design somewhat in the 8000f which is suppose to make it a little less bright. I doubt it is much of an improvement, but if about the same price, I would probably still go for the newer model. The rp-280f's seem a little harder to come by at much of a discount compared to the 8000f's. Let me know what you find out about it as well. I am not sure I will go with Klipsch, but it is one of the brands that I am considering.
what are you considereing ?
post #38 of 53 Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Looking at this and the other threads where you've asked the same question, the response to your subwoofer question has been much more in the favor of the Hsu VTF-3 Mk5. In fact, I don't remember seeing anyone tell you to buy the Klipsch. The Hsu has more power, a 15" driver, and will likely dig noticeably deeper. If you're worried about the Hsu "matching" the sound of the Klipsch speakers, don't. I have Polk RTi A7 towers in our living room with the VTF-3 Mk5 and they blend together nicely.

Hsu is a well-reputed internet-direct manufacturing company with great customer service, too. I've dealt with Kevin and Dr. Hsu on a number of occasions, had three of their subwoofers (VTF-2 Mk1, ULS-15 Mk1, VTF-3 Mk5), and been 100% satisfied each time.

I could go into all kinds of assumptions and hypotheticals here because we don't know your tastes, your room, and your goals. But judging by the number of times you've asked the same question (and gotten the same response) it would seem you want us to talk you out of buying the Klipsch...for whatever reason. Hey man, it's your money and we're not going to look down on you for how you choose to spend it or what your reasons for buying a subwoofer are. You asked the question and the forum has provided ample feedback. Still, when all is said and done, what really matters is that YOU enjoy the end result.

Best of luck with your decision.
darthray likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #39 of 53 Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
Looking at this and the other threads where you've asked the same question, the response to your subwoofer question has been much more in the favor of the Hsu VTF-3 Mk5. In fact, I don't remember seeing anyone tell you to buy the Klipsch. The Hsu has more power, a 15" driver, and will likely dig noticeably deeper. If you're worried about the Hsu "matching" the sound of the Klipsch speakers, don't. I have Polk RTi A7 towers in our living room with the VTF-3 Mk5 and they blend together nicely.

Hsu is a well-reputed internet-direct manufacturing company with great customer service, too. I've dealt with Kevin and Dr. Hsu on a number of occasions, had three of their subwoofers (VTF-2 Mk1, ULS-15 Mk1, VTF-3 Mk5), and been 100% satisfied each time.

I could go into all kinds of assumptions and hypotheticals here because we don't know your tastes, your room, and your goals. But judging by the number of times you've asked the same question (and gotten the same response) it would seem you want us to talk you out of buying the Klipsch...for whatever reason. Hey man, it's your money and we're not going to look down on you for how you choose to spend it or what your reasons for buying a subwoofer are. You asked the question and the forum has provided ample feedback. Still, when all is said and done, what really matters is that YOU enjoy the end result.

Best of luck with your decision.
Big +1

The Klipsch is not even close, to be in the same league as the HSU.
And also correct about the sub not needing to be match with the speakers.

While some folks think a sub, has to match there speaker with the sub.
They have the wrong assumption, there is no sound matching when it come to a sub.
Since it only deal with lower frequencies.

Ray
Rysa4, Todd G., d-rail34 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by darthray; 03-19-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #40 of 53 Old 03-20-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
how about VFT-2 MK5 against the Monoprice or another 12? I'd do a 15in but I don't have the room really. thanks

post #41 of 53 Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think you can go wrong with the HSU, Rythmik or Monolith. I'm *extremely* happy with my pair.

Video: TCL 75R617
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280FA L/R, RP-450C Center, RP-250S Surrounds
Subwoofer: Dual Monolith 15" THX Ultra's
post #42 of 53 Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullysnet View Post
how about VFT-2 MK5 against the Monoprice or another 12? I'd do a 15in but I don't have the room really. thanks

When I was choosing a sub upgrade, I looked at the VTF-2 and the VTF-3.

The VTF-2 is 21.5" H X 15" W X 24" D.

The VTF-3 is 25" H X 17.25" W X 23.5" D.

These are with feet and grilles. My main concern was the depth, so the VTF-3 worked for me.
post #43 of 53 Old 03-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
When I was choosing a sub upgrade, I looked at the VTF-2 and the VTF-3.

The VTF-2 is 21.5" H X 15" W X 24" D.

The VTF-3 is 25" H X 17.25" W X 23.5" D.

These are with feet and grilles. My main concern was the depth, so the VTF-3 worked for me.

yes they are close but its most the height that I cannot fit. thanks
post #44 of 53 Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM

if I did go with the 15in, why 15in over the 12in? I have a 15in for my home theater but this is more for a music setup with sometimes listening to movies.

thanks
post #45 of 53 Old 03-25-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
if I did go with the 15in, why 15in over the 12in? I have a 15in for my home theater but this is more for a music setup with sometimes listening to movies.

thanks
If I understand the reviews correctly, the VTF-3 will play significantly louder than the VTF-2 without distortion. (That's with 1 or 2 ports open; I didn't see anything about sealed.)

For a system primarily for music, I might have considered the Hsu ULS-15. It's a sealed unit. It lacks the tuning options of the VTF series, but it's compact: 19H X 18W X 19.5D. It's slightly less expensive than the VTF-3, and weighs 20 lbs. less. Looks like it uses the same amp as the VFTF-15H Mk2 and the VTF-3 Mk5.
post #46 of 53 Old 03-25-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennS View Post
Hsu is a very highly regarded sub for the price around here and would be a better choice from what I have read.

I am considering getting an upgrade from my current towers and was wondering how you liked the Klipsch RP-8000's. How do they sound to you and do you find them equally good for home theater and music? Thanks.
Quote:
Audioholics review from a few days ago. The RP-280f also reviewed well when they came out. I enjoy them, but I've not compared them to other speakers.
https://www.audioholics.com/tower-sp...ipsch-rp-8000f

Spoiler!
post #47 of 53 Old 03-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
If I understand the reviews correctly, the VTF-3 will play significantly louder than the VTF-2 without distortion. (That's with 1 or 2 ports open; I didn't see anything about sealed.)

For a system primarily for music, I might have considered the Hsu ULS-15. It's a sealed unit. It lacks the tuning options of the VTF series, but it's compact: 19H X 18W X 19.5D. It's slightly less expensive than the VTF-3, and weighs 20 lbs. less. Looks like it uses the same amp as the VFTF-15H Mk2 and the VTF-3 Mk5.

thanks, I don't want to go to overboard since this is a second system that is not used as much as the HT system. Probably will just stick to the 12in. I had a Klipsch 12in and it was ported and worked well, I just wanted something that was more solid. It seeems the VTF-2will fill that need.
post #48 of 53 Old 03-26-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks, I don't want to go to overboard since this is a second system that is not used as much as the HT system. Probably will just stick to the 12in. I had a Klipsch 12in and it was ported and worked well, I just wanted something that was more solid. It seeems the VTF-2will fill that need.
I always find it hard to decide where to draw the line. The VTF-2 is probably a great sub, and it's 2/3 the cost of the VTF-3 (shipped). I splurged on the VTF-3 because it wasn't much larger than the VTF-2, but it uses a 15" driver and the same amp as Hsu's best sub.

I like the VTF series configurability (sealed, 1 port open for flattest response, 2 ports open for loudest play). It's not unique to Hsu, I admit.
post #49 of 53 Old 05-19-2019, 02:41 PM

not sure if you guys could help, narrowing down to 2 sub so far. What is your thoughts on VFT-2 Mk5 compared to the LVX12. I own a Rythmik 15in already but this would be for a secondary machine mostly listening to music.
I'd like to stick to a ported because my last Klipsch 12in ported sounded nice I was just looking for an upgrade from that.

thanks
post #50 of 53 Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 PM

anyone? I know both makers offer great products but I was on the fence between models. thanks....
post #51 of 53 Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
anyone? I know both makers offer great products but I was on the fence between models. thanks....
Rythmik is generally tighter and more detailed than other brands, at least that's their reputation. In other words, very good for music. I don't know the details of either, but HSU makes good, high value subwoofers, so if these two are the same price, the HSU probably has more output. HSU has had negative rumblings about assembly quality recently, but I don't know how much of an issue it really is. I have two sealed Rythmiks, and really like them. Supposedly, ported Rythmiks have a sealed sound to them, I've never heard one myself, but I would get Rythmik for a mostly music situation. They do have a 3 way adjustment, so you can make them have a thicker sound if you like. Both have a solid reputation for customer service. Enrico, of Rythmik is very active on AVS, and Kevin of HSU, while not as active, seems also pretty easy to get ahold of.

Spoiler!
post #52 of 53 Old 05-27-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 3419 Post(s)
Liked: 4191
Quote:
Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer Or the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP I will be running Klipsch 7.1.4 set RP-8000f towers and with (4)RP-250S surrounds and RP-450C I have heard some mix reviews on the Klipsch subwoofer...Thanks
The Klipsch R-115SW is basically a SVS PB-2000 with less output down low and more output up top.

The Hsu VTF-3 MK5 averages 4dB more output across for $95 more.

I would go with the Hsu VTF-3 MK5.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #53 of 53 Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Rythmik is generally tighter and more detailed than other brands, at least that's their reputation. In other words, very good for music. I don't know the details of either, but HSU makes good, high value subwoofers, so if these two are the same price, the HSU probably has more output. HSU has had negative rumblings about assembly quality recently, but I don't know how much of an issue it really is. I have two sealed Rythmiks, and really like them. Supposedly, ported Rythmiks have a sealed sound to them, I've never heard one myself, but I would get Rythmik for a mostly music situation. They do have a 3 way adjustment, so you can make them have a thicker sound if you like. Both have a solid reputation for customer service. Enrico, of Rythmik is very active on AVS, and Kevin of HSU, while not as active, seems also pretty easy to get ahold of.

thanks....I really like my Rythmik so it maybe a good idea to stick with that option since I'm familiar with their product and quality. Yes it is mostly for music. I would only use it for movies from time to time when I wouldn't be running my HT setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page