Has anyone had to return a Monolith subwoofer? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 01-25-2020, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Monolith 15 Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
First Post, looong time reader! I'm the product manager for the Monolith series at Monoprice (and all of audio too). We are definitely exploring allowing customers to just swap the amplifier, and not have to send the whole subwoofer back. The return rate has been so low that I didn't think doing this was necessary, but I definitely see how difficult it is for those that do have defective amps. This will take some time to implement and get the replacement amplifiers in stock, but it will be something we will be rolling out in the future.
Both of my Monolith 15 drivers have rattle noise. I've been needing to return them for replacements but I threw away the boxes for the sub. I would love to just be able to return the drivers. Is there any update on being able to do this? CS told me they cannot send me replacement packaging to return the subs and that I just need to "find" a sturdy box to ship it in. It would be much easier to just return the drivers. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 01-25-2020, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked: 4584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarenb21 View Post
Both of my Monolith 15 drivers have rattle noise. I've been needing to return them for replacements but I threw away the boxes for the sub. I would love to just be able to return the drivers. Is there any update on being able to do this? CS told me they cannot send me replacement packaging to return the subs and that I just need to "find" a sturdy box to ship it in. It would be much easier to just return the drivers. Please let me know if this is possible. Thanks.
If you live in a big city, look for UPS. Sometime, they have packaging center. If not, a moving company may offer a box solution. Other than that, no suggestion on my part.

Darth
post #33 of 46 Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Have had 2 monolith 12s for just over 1 year. Had some regular thumping from one. Thought it may be RF and changed outlet and things worked for a while. Thumping came back, the second one on the same circuit is fine, and so switched faulty one off then back on. Now light on back flashes red/green and no sound at all. Not happy as sounded fine otherwise. Leaving it off then will try on again but likely not good. Contacting Monoprice tomorrow. Have seen other threads saying thumping was failed capacitor. Happy to swap myself if possible. Will update with news. Any similar experience here?

Great room:LG OLED65E8PUA, Anthem MRX720, Speakers 5.1.4 Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, UB5. S12EQ. 4x Elac A4 Atmos speakers, 2x Emotiva BasX A-100 for atmos speakers -
Man Cave: Vizio P65-F1, NAD T758v3 + Emotiva XPA-5 gen1, Emotiva T2 towers, C2 center, E2 surrounds and Monoprice Monolith 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreynss View Post
The Monolith 12 is on my very short list of possible subs for in upgrade.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I’ve heard of potential difficulties with returns or exchanges through Monoprice, especially on something that large and expensive.

Has anyone had to return or exchange a

Monolith? If so, what was your experience?
Hello Avs Forum! I'm new here!

After all those raving reviews, and my personal research, I decided to purchase Monolith 15 directly from Monoprice.

It was on sale for $1199.99

Such a great deal, right?

So I received my very first Monolith 15.

I calibrated few times both THX and Extended mode using my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303.

Aftet I checked my calibration data, I noticed something little strange🤔

My AVR gain is set to +6!

That's too much avr gain IMO.

I have my current subwoofer Polk PSW505 which is only 400 watt & 12 inch subwoofer.
It's supposed to be far less powerful than the Monolith.

But my calibration, PSW505 sets the receiver gain around -12db

How come my Monolith 15 calibration sets the avr gain way higher than my PSW505.

No way!

Also the sound coming out of the Monolith was tiny compared to PSW505.

Then I noticed back of my Monolith has flashing lights of green and red.

I was like WTH?

After couple hours of the light flashing, it was making weird noise like wind blowing or swimming inside of water.

Then I realized, I got a bad defective product.

Sigh...

I contacted Monoprice thru their chat, and i got their response right away.

They told me it's a defective product and will issue a RMA right away.

Yup, I received 2 emails including 2 PDF to send it back and get a replacement.

About 2 weeks later of my returning Monolith free with FedEx, I finally got my replacement.

So I hooked it up and did my calculations as usual.

This time my avr gain was set to +0.5db.
I guess it's better but still too much avr gain IMO.

Again, I compared it with my Polk PSW505.
My small Polk sub is still way louder, rich, powerful with clean bass coming out.

So I turned up back of Monolith sub gain to almost max, then I can finally hear a ok bass.

What I notice is that, my Monolith did produce loud right in front of it.
But when I step away just a couple feet, the sound is tiny again.

My calibration is correct with all the distances and stuff. I even added a few feet to the distance to get better response suggested by a YouTuber Subwoofer 101.

Still didn't get the sound pressure and volume i expected.

My small Polk PSW505 was roughly 4 to 5 times louder than supposedly a monster Monolith 15.

It shouldn't be like this!

I've really had it!
I decided to get a refund instead of getting another replacement😥

So I contacted Monoprice via email yesterday (6/24/20)and i got their response right away.
They said it seems to be another defective product, and they are issuing RMA to return the product.

I'll be sadly returning it later this week.

Such a bad luck i have...😭

To make my situation worse, this Monolith was for my birthday present. I just turned 43 couple weeks ago.

I'm highly disappointed😥
Roctopuss likes this.
post #35 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Asaoka View Post

To make my situation worse, this Monolith was for my birthday present. I just turned 43 couple weeks ago.

I'm highly disappointed😥

That is a sad story you just shared. That is really frustrating. Monolith subs are good from all accounts but there was a rash of bad amplifiers hitting their products earlier in the year. Sounds like they still had some in stock.

There are some great 15" sub options out there. Some are even less expensive. Some are more. What are you looking for?

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
AVR: Denon AVR-X3500H
post #36 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing that gives me pause is that I’ve heard of potential difficulties with returns or exchanges through Monoprice, especially on something that large and expensive.

After all those raving reviews, and my personal research, I decided to purchase Monolith 15 directly from Monoprice.

I calibrated few times both THX and Extended mode using my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303.

I have my current subwoofer Polk PSW505 which is only 400 watt & 12 inch subwoofer.

How come my Monolith 15 calibration sets the avr gain way higher than my PSW505.

No way!

I was like WTH?

After couple hours of the light flashing, it was making weird noise like wind blowing or swimming inside of water.

Sigh...

About 2 weeks later of my returning Monolith free with FedEx, I finally got my replacement.

My small Polk sub is still way louder, rich, powerful with clean bass coming out.

So I turned up back of Monolith sub gain to almost max, then I can finally hear a ok bass.

My calibration is correct with all the distances and stuff. I even added a few feet to the distance to get better response suggested by a YouTuber Subwoofer 101.

My small Polk PSW505 was roughly 4 to 5 times louder than supposedly a monster Monolith 15.

I've really had it!

So I contacted Monoprice via email yesterday (6/24/20)and i got their response right away.
They said it seems to be another defective product, and they are issuing RMA to return the product.

I'm highly disappointed😥
How did you run calibration on the replacement sub? You have to turn the gain knob up before calibration to get a negative number closer to -11dB. Audyssey wanted me to set the sub to hit 75dB, but that produced a sub trim at -3dB. So I turned up the gain and re-ran Audyssey and hit around -9.5dB. With that said, you still should have been getting more output than you wrote, so it must've been bad luck on both subs you received.
post #37 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
Quote:

I'm highly disappointed😥

That is a sad story you just shared. That is really frustrating. Monolith subs are good from all accounts but there was a rash of bad amplifiers hitting their products earlier in the year. Sounds like they still had some in stock.

There are some great 15" sub options out there. Some are even less expensive. Some are more. What are you looking for?
Thank you for replying😊

After I decided to return my replacement today, I was trying to go for a dual sub. Like dual SVS PB2000PRO or even dual HSU subs.

I was so sick of packed up and sending away the huge a$$ 130lbs subwoofer twice in a month.

I was like, HECK! I'm not gonna go thru something like this again.

I was pretty much done searching for the new subs for while.

My apartment is rather small and walls are thin anyway. I don't need to have big subs just yet.

I do have perfectly working Polk PSW505, and i also have JBL 250EP sub as well. I could use em as dual even though calibration would be pain in the a$$

So what now?

After I get my refund which should be in a couple week, I most likely will upgrade my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 receiver to something superb.

I have a few good reasons I wanna upgrade my current Pioneer receiver.

1. Sound quality is rather subpar(my old receiver sounded much better)

2. No pre-outs for using separate amplifier.

3. Two subwoofer outputs produce the same signal. No separate calibration is possible.

4. No individual crossover settings.

I have a lot more reasons but those are some of the main reasons I wanna upgrade.

Well, I'm thinking to get the brand new Denon AVR-X6700H.

That's a such a huge step for me pricewise.

I will be eating packages of cheap ramen noodles for a while😆

Good ol' college days😅
post #38 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
Quote:
Quote:

No way!

I was like WTH?

Sigh...

I've really had it!

I'm highly disappointed😥
How did you run calibration on the replacement sub? You have to turn the gain knob up before calibration to get a negative number closer to -11dB. Audyssey wanted me to set the sub to hit 75dB, but that produced a sub trim at -3dB. So I turned up the gain and re-ran Audyssey and hit around -9.5dB. With that said, you still should have been getting more output than you wrote, so it must've been bad luck on both subs you received.
Thank you for replying.
I forgot to mention I used Y-spliter cable for my replacement Monolith thinking I can get more volume.

First I set my replacement sub to THX which Monoprice recommend.

That led me avr gain set to like +0.5

Then I also used Extended mode to calibrate it Turning up the back of sub gain knob to about 2 o'clock. I don't really remember exactly the calibration result but it was around the same avr gain.

Still too high of avr gain.

After I had to return massive 130lbs Monolith twice in a month, I decided I was done searching for subs for a while.

I will eventually get solid but smaller dual subwoofers in the future. Just not ready yet.
post #39 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked: 3083
^^ Before you give up on sub shopping,, keep in mind only Monolith brand subs require you to ship the "whole" sub back if there is an amp or driver problem. SVS/PSA/Rythmik/DSS/Funk/ and pretty much all other ID companies will not require you to do this "if" you have a problem. They will try and diagnose the issue with you and either send a replacement amp/driver. Swapping either of those out is far less of a hassle than sending back a 130Lb sub
Deaf-Forever likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #40 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Rythmik, PSA, and Hsu all have very good 15" subs and very few reports of quality control problems. I would consider the FV15HP if you can fit it in your budget.
Deaf-Forever likes this.
post #41 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
^^ Before you give up on sub shopping,, keep in mind only Monolith brand subs require you to ship the "whole" sub back if there is an amp or driver problem. SVS/PSA/Rythmik/DSS/Funk/ and pretty much all other ID companies will not require you to do this "if" you have a problem. They will try and diagnose the issue with you and either send a replacement amp/driver. Swapping either of those out is far less of a hassle than sending back a 130Lb sub
Thank you for the good info😊
That sounds way better than sending whole heavy sub.

So tbh, I haven't been happy with the sound quality of my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 since I got it about a year and a half ago.

I got it because my former Elite receiver mysteriously died after 4 years or so. The old receiver had much better sound with THX SELECT 2 certified.

Well, I didn't really care for the THX but it was one of the first av receivers to get THX SELECT 2 certified at that time.

Overall my old Elite receiver sounded much much better than my current one.
Also had an advanced MCACC calibration instead of my current standard MCACC.

I think my old elite receiver was higher class than my current one.

So I'm still leaning toward upgrading my av receiver.

I could change my mind anytime.

Eventually I may get dual HSU subs you were talking about.
post #42 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the good info😊
That sounds way better than sending whole heavy sub.

So tbh, I haven't been happy with the sound quality of my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303 since I got it about a year and a half ago.

I got it because my former Elite receiver mysteriously died after 4 years or so. The old receiver had much better sound with THX SELECT 2 certified.

Well, I didn't really care for the THX but it was one of the first av receivers to get THX SELECT 2 certified at that time.

Overall my old Elite receiver sounded much much better than my current one.
Also had an advanced MCACC calibration instead of my current standard MCACC.

I think my old elite receiver was higher class than my current one.

So I'm still leaning toward upgrading my av receiver.

I could change my mind anytime.

Eventually I may get dual HSU subs you were talking about.
Sorry you weren't talking about HSU.
It was different user.
My bad.
post #43 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Rythmik, PSA, and Hsu all have very good 15" subs and very few reports of quality control problems. I would consider the FV15HP if you can fit it in your budget.
Thank you for your suggestion! Yes, I'm liking the HSU subs.
I will eventually get em dual.

But right now, I'm leaning towards upgrading my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303.

I could change my mind anytime though.

HSU is definitely my consideration for near future😊
post #44 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Dunno, but that sounds like a null to me.
I'd try moving the sub or seat.

Yo mama so fat, time slow when she near.

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an AVS kid.
post #45 of 46 Old 06-25-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked: 3083
^
One simple way to know (if) your amp and driver are working well (or not), is how much cone movement you see with bass heavy music or movie demo sequence. With your gain at 2 and avr trim near zero, even at 12DB's below reference volume there should be lots of driver movement. If there is,,,then as the previous post suggested you may be in a huge null. Find a different location corner load if possible. If very little cone movement with those settings likely a bad plate amp

Two completely different subs that may not perform the same in the same location. If you have good driver excursion then most likely you sub is just fine and you need to find a better spot for it or your MLP. You need to tune your sub for your primary seating position which is even more critical having just one sub. Two subs will be more forgiving reducing nulls throughout the space

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 06-25-2020 at 03:04 PM.
post #46 of 46 Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
^
One simple way to know (if) your amp and driver are working well (or not), is how much cone movement you see with bass heavy music or movie demo sequence. With your gain at 2 and avr trim near zero, even at 12DB's below reference volume there should be lots of driver movement. If there is,,,then as the previous post suggested you may be in a huge null. Find a different location corner load if possible. If very little cone movement with those settings likely a bad plate amp

Two completely different subs that may not perform the same in the same location. If you have good driver excursion then most likely you sub is just fine and you need to find a better spot for it or your MLP. You need to tune your sub for your primary seating position which is even more critical having just one sub. Two subs will be more forgiving reducing nulls throughout the space
There was no cone movement, I mean if I put my hand over on the cone. I can feel it is on.
But no visual cone movement.

Either way, Monoprice is sending RMA labels via email.
As soon as I get the labels, I'm sending back.

Last edited by Ken Asaoka; 06-28-2020 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page