Has anyone had to return a Monolith subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone had to return a Monolith subwoofer?

The Monolith 12 is on my very short list of possible subs for in upgrade.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I’ve heard of potential difficulties with returns or exchanges through Monoprice, especially on something that large and expensive.

Has anyone had to return or exchange a Monolith? If so, what was your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreynss View Post

The only thing that gives me pause is that I’ve heard of potential difficulties with returns or exchanges through Monoprice, especially on something that large and expensive.

Has anyone had to return or exchange a Monolith? If so, what was your experience?
Several members here have returned their monolith subs, without a problem. Just the hassle of logistics involved.
post #3 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

I had to return a Monolith 15" after the amp failed after about 3 weeks of owning it. I couldn't get Monoprice customer service to actually help because they said I had to contact Monoprice's Amazon team. Monoprice's Amazon CS never replied to my email. I was given the Monolith business manager's email from a member at this site and he (Hobie Sechrest) helped right away and answered some questions I had. Shipping the sub back was free and FedEx picked it up from my house. The new sub has been flawless.

I liked the Monolith sub right away once I hooked it up; and once I tweaked and dialed it in with my AVR, the sub performs great and hits with authority when it's supposed to. Watching movies and playing games with good bass always puts a smile on my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info..... I’m having a ridiculously tough time choosing between the monolith 12, and the Svs pb2000.

It’s good to know that Monoprice took care of you
post #5 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Sadly though, if the amp fails, you should be able to just send the amp back, like many ID companies allow for. What a pain in the buttocks to have to box a 130 pound item to send it back. How long do most people keep the shipping box and materials from something so big?!? With that said, I have heard these things are bad az$, they should just tweak the service a bit.

My humble little 5.1 system, "Virtual Cinema" front, wall of sound config:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers, 2 JBL 530 Bookshelfs, and a JBL 520C Center.
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #6 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Increasing the quality of cs would raise the prices, just reality of what it cost to so that
post #7 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Thanks for the info..... I’m having a ridiculously tough time choosing between the monolith 12, and the Svs pb2000.

It’s good to know that Monoprice took care of you

I just upgraded from the SVS PB 2000 to the Monolith 15. In the $800 range the SVS is the least bang for the buck. Monoprice has had some sales recently, I got mine for 25% off, but they also have open box stuff like SVS. There is a member on here that has owned them all and he prefers the Monolith 12 over the SVS, has a nice write up in a recent thread. The Mono just sounds more crisp and accurate to me. I would also look at the HSU thats even a little cheaper than both of these for the 12 inch model.

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS SB 2000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - KEf Q300 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #8 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Yes, I had to return a Monolith 15 recently. Put in for the RMA process on Friday, received RMA # and return shipping info, called Fedex to pickup, then about a week later, they received the sub and shipped my replacement same day. New sub is working perfectly and overall the process was not bad, though packing up a 130+ lb sub is not much fun.
SuperFist likes this.
post #9 of 46 Old 03-28-2019, 08:57 PM

I’m also looking to get the Monolith 15 and would like to know if more people had to return their Monolith sub for warranty claim?

I’ll be shipping mine outside US so sending the whole sub back for RMA will be a great PIA.
post #10 of 46 Old 03-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 683
First Post, looong time reader! I'm the product manager for the Monolith series at Monoprice (and all of audio too). We are definitely exploring allowing customers to just swap the amplifier, and not have to send the whole subwoofer back. The return rate has been so low that I didn't think doing this was necessary, but I definitely see how difficult it is for those that do have defective amps. This will take some time to implement and get the replacement amplifiers in stock, but it will be something we will be rolling out in the future.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #11 of 46 Old 03-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonolithGuy View Post
First Post, looong time reader! I'm the product manager for the Monolith series at Monoprice (and all of audio too). We are definitely exploring allowing customers to just swap the amplifier, and not have to send the whole subwoofer back. The return rate has been so low that I didn't think doing this was necessary, but I definitely see how difficult it is for those that do have defective amps. This will take some time to implement and get the replacement amplifiers in stock, but it will be something we will be rolling out in the future.
Welcome! Great to have a Monolith manager here, and it's great that you're working on sending replacement amps in the future.
post #12 of 46 Old 03-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Not a Monolith manager, the only Monolith manager. If the product is good, or bad, it's my fault. I'll definitely try to pop in when I can to offer any insight I can.

Hobie
Monoprice - Monolith
post #13 of 46 Old 03-29-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That would be AWESOME! Thanks for listening to our feedback! Really love my Monolith THX 15 Ultra!
post #14 of 46 Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great to see the man that's running monolith on this forum!

You've done an excellent job with these subwoofers. I've had my monolith 15 since last summer and it's been nothing short of flawless so far.

Thank you for all your hard work.
post #15 of 46 Old 03-30-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Not a Monolith manager, the only Monolith manager. If the product is good, or bad, it's my fault. I'll definitely try to pop in when I can to offer any insight I can.
welcome. good to see you posting in here. I think it will help buyers and owners with any questions they have and its always a good thing to be directly involved with customer base if possible. Maybe introduce yourself on the official Monolith sub forum:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...oofers-30.html

bought dual 12's a while back and so far they have been great. Agree with everyone else. If something were to happen. much easier to replace the amp. I would not look forward to repacking them up, thats for sure. But glad you are looking into it.
post #16 of 46 Old 03-31-2019, 03:37 PM

I just submitted for my RMA on Friday after trying to get this thing to sound right for 2 weeks. I hope the process isn't too bad but I'm dreading repackaging this thing back up. At this point I don't even know if I want a replacement
post #17 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
I just submitted for my RMA on Friday after trying to get this thing to sound right for 2 weeks. I hope the process isn't too bad but I'm dreading repackaging this thing back up. At this point I don't even know if I want a replacement
Sorry to hear.
Please keep us posted on the return process. Would also like to know more about the issue of your unit if possible.
post #18 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
....and it's going to be another 2 weeks before you get a refund.

I had to return 2 monolith 12's and it took 7 phone calls and 3 weeks to get a refund. Time is one thing.... but the phone call after phone call of the same responses with promises to get something accomplished really annoyed me. Finally got someone to actually assist me at the end.

I ended up buying 2 new subs at a local shop to avoid shipping and if there are any issues it's an easy return.

Now I also returned a heavy amplifier to World Wide Stereo previously and it was a breeze..... just saying
badboi likes this.

Last edited by Liquid$team; 04-02-2019 at 12:59 AM.
post #19 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
i had contacted Monolith customer service about a noise (like wind blowing over a microphone) coming from my 15". No joy on a contact from Monolith/Monoprice yet! It's been a week. Now, the noise is mysteriously gone. I no longer have the boxes and really don't want to box this thing up and haul it out of my basement! I'll see if I get contacted and if the noise comes back.

Klipsch Rocks!
post #20 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGM View Post
Sorry to hear.
Please keep us posted on the return process. Would also like to know more about the issue of your unit if possible.
There is not much output from the sub. I have spent almost 2 weeks doing the sub crawl. I have ran Audyssey 4 different times. The first time I used the parameters listed in the box as a starting point, and the sub was barely audible. I followed some suggestions on here and started the sub at 75db before running Audyssey, then bumped it up with the receiver 8 to 10 db, and this made a difference, but not a ton. Still has far less output the the SVS PB 2000 it is replacing. I know they are not going to sound the Same and the Monolith should have a flatter response but anything above 35-40 hz sounds hollow, almost anemic.

Last time I turned all THX settings off and added a Y Adapter to the inputs on the sub. Turned the gain knob to above +6 or about 75-80% on the back and it did come alive a bit, receiver sub setting was +4. Played about 15 minutes of Ready Player One and probably -15 on Marantz volume, and it sounded closer to what I was expecting, but after 15 minutes there was a smell from the sub, so I turned it off.

I have adjusted the phase, all eq settings. Currently all THX is off and EQ set up through the Marantz. Fronts left to small and at 80hz, LFE +Main turned off, Dynamic EQ turned off. I almost need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything I have tried, and I still want to most my SVS back downstairs

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves - JTR Captivator 1200XS - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 2.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of Chane A1.5's, - SVS SB 2000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
post #21 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is not much output from the sub. I have spent almost 2 weeks doing the sub crawl. I have ran Audyssey 4 different times. The first time I used the parameters listed in the box as a starting point, and the sub was barely audible. I followed some suggestions on here and started the sub at 75db before running Audyssey, then bumped it up with the receiver 8 to 10 db, and this made a difference, but not a ton. Still has far less output the the SVS PB 2000 it is replacing. I know they are not going to sound the Same and the Monolith should have a flatter response but anything above 35-40 hz sounds hollow, almost anemic.

Last time I turned all THX settings off and added a Y Adapter to the inputs on the sub. Turned the gain knob to above +6 or about 75-80% on the back and it did come alive a bit, receiver sub setting was +4. Played about 15 minutes of Ready Player One and probably -15 on Marantz volume, and it sounded closer to what I was expecting, but after 15 minutes there was a smell from the sub, so I turned it off.

I have adjusted the phase, all eq settings. Currently all THX is off and EQ set up through the Marantz. Fronts left to small and at 80hz, LFE +Main turned off, Dynamic EQ turned off. I almost need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything I have tried, and I still want to most my SVS back downstairs

That is a lot of things to try. It definitely sounds like you should RMA it.
post #22 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10188 Post(s)
Liked: 7219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob View Post
I no longer have the boxes... (
This is something @MonolithGuy should communicate to ALL previous and current Monolith THX sub customers until the amp swap is up and running as it will cost him money to send replacement boxes in order to execute an RMA.

You don't want to jury rig a box arrangement to return such a heavy sub as damage is almost a guarantee.
bigbadbob likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #23 of 46 Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
This is something @MonolithGuy should communicate to ALL previous and current Monolith THX sub customers until the amp swap is up and running as it will cost him money to send replacement boxes in order to execute an RMA.

You don't want to jury rig a box arrangement to return such a heavy sub as damage is almost a guarantee.
Amen to that!

Klipsch Rocks!
post #24 of 46 Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGWGM View Post
Sorry to hear.
So far so good. Received RMA labels last night. I emailed CS and explained my situation and that I did not want a replacement sub. They were understanding and are setting up a Fedex freight pickup at the house. Refund withing 5-7 business days which is pretty standard. Fingers crossed.

post #25 of 46 Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 AM

The worst part is repacking and watching Fedex take her away. Back to the drawing board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monolith update.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	2551308  

post #26 of 46 Old 01-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Received my 15” 2 weeks ago dead on arrival. I cannot move the sub and box is torn up after unpacking.
I cannot send back and just want a new amp even if I have to buy it. I called and they said needs to be returned.
Please help

Bob
post #27 of 46 Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRLIFE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
Sadly though, if the amp fails, you should be able to just send the amp back, like many ID companies allow for. What a pain in the buttocks to have to box a 130 pound item to send it back. How long do most people keep the shipping box and materials from something so big?!? With that said, I have heard these things are bad az$, they should just tweak the service a bit.
I don't trust any sub with a built in amp for this reason. Much better to go with diy passive subwoofer with external amplifier.
Totally agree. You can get really good premade flat packs from multiple sources now, and Behringer's new NX series amps are great.

That is seriously such BS that Monolith is putting him through this. You should NOT have to send the entire sub back, that is insane.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #28 of 46 Old 01-03-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1651 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Although Monolith had stated months ago they were changing policy so amp/driver problems could just be exchanged without returning the entire sub, clearly this has not been implemented yet. Back to back mold issues with one person,,,dead amps and apparently sub par customer support still going on. Now someone willing to pay for his own replacement amp and denied. I'll say it again,,, there is much more to a sub purchase that the best performance per $$.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #29 of 46 Old 01-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I returned four of them, two sets with mold. Total pain in the rear! Luckily io didn’t have them long and had all the packing material.
post #30 of 46 Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Although Monolith had stated months ago they were changing policy so amp/driver problems could just be exchanged without returning the entire sub, clearly this has not been implemented yet. Back to back mold issues with one person,,,dead amps and apparently sub par customer support still going on. Now someone willing to pay for his own replacement amp and denied. I'll say it again,,, there is much more to a sub purchase that the best performance per $$.
Fully agree - where's that guy now, who was white knighting in a bunch of Monoprice threads about a year ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page