New subwoofer options, need input - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New subwoofer options, need input

Hey everybody. First of, i appreciate your patience. A couple of days ago I posted a thread asking for opinions on an upcoming upgrade. After talking to my wife, I have been able to raise my budget slightly.

I know all of the subwoofer that I'm looking at are high quality, but interpreting all the info and graphs is not my strong point.

My room is approx 3,000 cubic feet. My listening consists of 90% home theater/tv, but i do love good sounding music.

I'm the type of person who overthinks, and stresses about things. This is a lot of money to me for a single speaker, and im driving myself crazy trying to decide.

My options are as follows.

1. SVS PB2000
2. SVS SB3000
3. Monolith 12
4. Rythmik LVX12
5. HSU VTF-3 MK5
6. PSA V1510DF
7. PSA S1510

I am after the cleanest, thump you in the chest bass that I can get. I'm leaning towards ported, but added the sealed models becaue they are an option. If needed, I will buy a 2nd subwoofer at a later date.

Any opinions, advice, and experiences that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdreynss View Post
Hey everybody. First of, i appreciate your patience. A couple of days ago I posted a thread asking for opinions on an upcoming upgrade. After talking to my wife, I have been able to raise my budget slightly.

I know all of the subwoofer that I'm looking at are high quality, but interpreting all the info and graphs is not my strong point.

My room is approx 3,000 cubic feet. My listening consists of 90% home theater/tv, but i do love good sounding music.

I'm the type of person who overthinks, and stresses about things. This is a lot of money to me for a single speaker, and im driving myself crazy trying to decide.

1. SVS PB2000
2. SVS SB3000
3. Monolith 12
4. Rythmik LVX12
5. HSU VTF-3 MK5
6. PSA V1510DF
7. PSA S1510

I am after the cleanest, thump you in the chest bass that I can get. I'm leaning towards ported, but added the sealed models becaue they are an option. If needed, I will buy a 2nd subwoofer at a later date.

Any opinions, advice, and experiences that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
HSU VTF3 MK5
PSA V1510DF

Either of those two will have a large output advantage over the other subs, save for the S1510 after 30hz or so. I kind of like the V1510DF for it's ease of placement (quite a bit smaller than the HSU) and the longer warranty. For shear bang for the buck it's hard to beat the HSU though.
eljaycanuck likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 3408 Post(s)
Liked: 2876
Quote:

1. SVS PB2000
2. SVS SB3000
3. Monolith 12
4. Rythmik LVX12
5. HSU VTF-3 MK5
6. PSA V1510DF
7. PSA S1510

As Kini pointed out the HSU VTF-3 offers excellent value/performance. The HSU can be run in sealed mode for music. The PSA 1510DF will be a little better and have more output capabilities, but is also more expensive. With 90% HT use and plans on adding a 2nd sub, the HSU would be easier on your wallet. I wouldn't even consider a sealed sub for your usage and room size.
eljaycanuck likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 3341
Quote:

1. SVS PB2000
2. SVS SB3000
3. Monolith 12
4. Rythmik LVX12
5. HSU VTF-3 MK5
6. PSA V1510DF
7. PSA S1510

Here's my thoughts for your situation.
Your room is a fair size, so get the best sub you can afford now.
Then add another one later as you mention, much cheaper in the long run.

For the port over a seal sub, I am kind of bias toward port.
More scenario to try for different port tune, and can also sound excellent with music.
Than again, it is one preference.

For the slam in your chest here's a link for what I did;
III-C: Cascading Crossovers:
Work wonders for me and many others.
Some few did not like-it, only experimenting with this option can tell.
The good side about trying this, it only take a few minutes between different settings.
Since it is done after a calibration, on your AVR LFE setting and sub frequency setting

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 03-30-2019 at 08:32 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 2699
+1 to the suggestions above: Go with the most sub you can get now and double up later on. Bang-for-buck that's the VTF-3 MK5 HP (IMO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page