Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Dual FV15HP's Calibration

So I got around to setting up my two FV15HPs and the results, while not bad, are not quite what I am expecting. I feel like something is wrong between calibration or setup and am checking here for ideas.

First of all, I plan to measure via REW the post calibration results. I had an issue with my previous PB12-Plus I have upstairs that had a resonance that seemed like Audyssey took as the speakers roll off. I had to use the PEQ and/or Minidsp to tame this first and then run Audyssey to get amazing results.

I am using a Denon 4500H so it has discrete sub outputs for two subs. Ran it through the 8 positions. The only issue I had in calibration was Audysset informed me my front and center speakers are all out of phase. From what I have seen, this is normal for the Polk LSi series speakers. Of course Audyssey set my 705s as large so I changed all speakers to small and to an 80Hz crossover except the surrounds which is decided were best at 100Hz (Axiom M3 in-wall and on-wall).

I followed the directions included with the FV15HPs and left the port plug in each one and rumble filter out for calibration. Now I didn't see the note in there that you can take this out after calibration for maximum output so tonight I might try that as well. My thought was that being this is a basement, and on concrete, sub 20Hz output wouldn't be super important.

Also, I have never had two subs and this is what worries me. I usually bump my sub by +6dB or so. Well when I went to the channel trim adjustment I realized I had a trim adjustment for both subs. is a +6dB adjustment equivalent to bumping each sub by +3dB or +6dB? I did +6dB on each and its still...eh. The system sounds good...I wasn't expecting much tactile force being on carpet but I was expecting a bit more roar and impact. I'm pretty sure this is a calibration issue but am not sure if I might be overlooking something. Hopefully REW will shed some light.

One sub is placed in the front corner of the room and one sub is placed right behind the couch against a side wall (couch is L shaped). The room is a large open space (roughly 8' ceilings but open basement area) but the subs are all within 10 feet of the listening position.

As a side note...the Rythmik subs are finished impeccably. I had thought I would feel a step down going from SVS piano black to Rythmik vinyl but the sub looks excellent.

Last edited by Sdiver2489; 04-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 4701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
So I got around to setting up my two FV15HPs and the results, while not bad, are not quite what I am expecting. I feel like something is wrong between calibration or setup and am checking here for ideas.

First of all, I plan to measure via REW the post calibration results. I had an issue with my previous PB12-Plus I have upstairs that had a resonance that seemed like Audyssey took as the speakers roll off. I had to use the PEQ and/or Minidsp to tame this first and then run Audyssey to get amazing results.

I am using a Denon 4500H so it has discrete sub outputs for two subs. Ran it through the 8 positions. The only issue I had in calibration was Audysset informed me my front and center speakers are all out of phase. From what I have seen, this is normal for the Polk LSi series speakers. Of course Audyssey set my 705s as large so I changed all speakers to small and to an 80Hz crossover except the surrounds which is decided were best at 100Hz (Axiom M3 in-wall and on-wall).

I followed the directions included with the FV15HPs and left the port plug in each one and rumble filter out for calibration. Now I didn't see the note in there that you can take this out after calibration for maximum output so tonight I might try that as well. My thought was that being this is a basement, and on concrete, sub 20Hz output wouldn't be super important.

Also, I have never had two subs and this is what worries me. I usually bump my sub by +6dB or so. Well when I went to the channel trim adjustment I realized I had a trim adjustment for both subs. is a +6dB adjustment equivalent to bumping each sub by +3dB or +6dB? I did +6dB on each and its still...eh. The system sounds good...I wasn't expecting much tactile force being on carpet but I was expecting a bit more roar and impact. I'm pretty sure this is a calibration issue but am not sure if I might be overlooking something. Hopefully REW will shed some light.

One sub is placed in the front corner of the room and one sub is placed right behind the couch against a side wall (couch is L shaped). The room is a large open space (roughly 8' ceilings but open basement area) but the subs are all within 10 feet of the listening position.

As a side note...the Rythmik subs are finished impeccably. I had thought I would feel a step down going from SVS piano black to Rythmik vinyl but the sub looks excellent.
Please, post this same question on the Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofers thread as you will get more responses from Rythmik Audio owners. Also, download the "Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers" Guide from my signature. That should be all you need to get good results. As soon you are done with REW measurements, please feel free to send me via email your mdat file so I can look at it and give you proper advice.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...read-1262.html

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Please, post this same question on the Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofers thread as you will get more responses from Rythmik Audio owners. Also, download the "Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers" Guide from my signature. That should be all you need to get good results. As soon you are done with REW measurements, please feel free to send me via email your mdat file so I can look at it and give you proper advice.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...read-1262.html
Thanks Enrico! It looks like I followed most of those steps in that guide but I'll definitely be revisiting the measurements and verifying the 75dB setting.

I have a feeling that I'll find out quite a bit with a run or two of REW. I plan to measure both subs together first and once I get an idea of what I am seeing, especially mixed with the front speakers, move on to them individually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page