Whose system is tough enough to play this? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Song of the day:

Track11 by Tetrphnm

This is a very simple and spaced out electronic track with chill vibes. The bass is just a repeating beat that has a nice soft and smooth but very deep punch. The kind of punch that is felt more than heard. Great song to zone out with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 05-01-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 615
So, got a chance to crank these quite a bit harder yesterday and I must say, I have to reverse my opinion on Breathe This Air. There's like a throbbing heart-beat bass that as I cranked it up really undulated my body. It was pretty intense, even more than Interstellar Brownies!

MOAR PLZ, lol.
post #33 of 44 Old 05-01-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Breather This Air is dope. One of Hopkins best. Another bassy gem from him is:

Sun Harmonics

This one is loaded with a nice bass throb throughout, but one of the best parts is in the last few minutes as the song changes into an atmospheric ambient drone. There are a few thunderous booms that really shake things up and catch you off guard. Worth the 12 minute listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 05-02-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Since this is turning into kind of a "bass song" thread how about some Pete Belasco...title track on his album "Deeper" will give your woofers a pretty good workout. The whole album has a good bit of bass but Deeper, as it's name suggests, has some deep bass...go figure.
post #35 of 44 Old 05-02-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Since this is turning into kind of a "bass song" thread how about some Pete Belasco...title track on his album "Deeper" will give your woofers a pretty good workout. The whole album has a good bit of bass but Deeper, as it's name suggests, has some deep bass...go figure.
Thanks for the suggestion! I listened to this song and it does indeed have nice deep bass hits.

I’d like to talk about amp draw in deep bass songs for a moment. I have a Panamax power conditioner thing which tells me how much amps are being drawn in real time. I like to use it to get an idea of how “powerful” the bass in my system is.

For example, in the above mentioned track Deeper the peak draw was around 2.7-2.8 amps. Most music at that level hardly increases amp draw by more than 0.1 or 0.2 from the baseline which is usually 2.0 on my system. At the same level, Bass I Love You drew about 7 amps during that big 7Hz punch. Interstellar Brownies draws 4.7 during its deepest hits, and at the end of the song during its major bass waves it drew 5.7, 9.1 and 9.8 amps in succession.

This is the metric I use to determine bass content of songs. Not sure it’s the best method or not but it seems to indicate really low and loud bass hits. Any thoughts?
post #36 of 44 Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3624 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
in theory it may make sense. in car audio competitions that measure spl for living...its not so tru all the time. so common sense says yeah more power=louder....but in reality great engineering/design can make power look silly.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #37 of 44 Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
in theory it may make sense. in car audio competitions that measure spl for living...its not so tru all the time. so common sense says yeah more power=louder....but in reality great engineering/design can make power look silly.
Thanks for the insight. I always wonder how the car audio guys measure bass. Do you know of a way to see the frequencies in a song? Some computer program or app maybe? I would love to be able to read a spectrum analysis of music I just have no idea how.
post #38 of 44 Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrozzano View Post
Thanks for the insight. I always wonder how the car audio guys measure bass. Do you know of a way to see the frequencies in a song? Some computer program or app maybe? I would love to be able to read a spectrum analysis of music I just have no idea how.
Using an RTA(real time analyzer) can show you real time what frequencies are being played and at what level relative to other frequencies. I'm sure there's and app for that now.

In my younger days I use to dabble in car audio competitions and we'd use a dedicated hardware RTA box to get our systems to measure as flat as possible since that was part of the judging criteria back then. Of course for the sound quality and bass spl portions of the judging we'd have presets in our eq's and/or processors so we could tune in some bass and proper sound quality as few, if any people(including the judges) actually like the sound of a ruler flat system response. These RTA's usually had a built in spl meter and most comp's back then required the spl meter's mic to be placed on the dash.

I competed in lower power sound quality classes so I never had a mega 150db+ spl bass system but I managed to get 130db from two 10's in a small sealed box pushed by about 300w rms of power...nothing to blow your hair back but it wasn't bad for a daily driver sq system back in the mid-late 90's. I always ran unregulated "cheater" power amps at low ohm loads so even with their low 12v "official IASCA rms rated power" I used things like 2 gauge power wire and large capacitors to help when the bass hits as the amps were drawing a good bit of amperage and making well above their "rated" power.

What's funny...my home theater currently has six 18's and those little 10's in my truck can out spl the 18's. It's amazing how much easier it is to get big bass nearfield in a car/truck/suv. A friend back in the day had four 15" Kove Armageddons in a Chevy Suburban that would easily do 150db+...it would literally make you sick to your stomach to sit in it playing at those levels.

I'm not sure what the auto sound spl record is now but i think it's around 180db...which is insane. I doubt you could even physically stand to be in the vehicle at all when it's hitting those sorts of numbers.

Last edited by KenWH; 05-02-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #39 of 44 Old 05-03-2019, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
I’d like to talk about amp draw in deep bass songs for a moment. I have a Panamax power conditioner thing which tells me how much amps are being drawn in real time. I like to use it to get an idea of how “powerful” the bass in my system is.

This is the metric I use to determine bass content of songs. Not sure it’s the best method or not but it seems to indicate really low and loud bass hits. Any thoughts?
Different drivers, connected in different ways, used in different cabinets, will have different impedances at different frequencies. So amperage draw by the amplifier is a poor basis of comparison.

Better to use spectrograms.

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!
Amps: stacks and stacks of old iron
Main speakers: big DIYSG
Surrounds: Bose graveyard
Subs: a bunch
post #40 of 44 Old 05-03-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWH View Post
Using an RTA(real time analyzer) can show you real time what frequencies are being played and at what level relative to other frequencies. I'm sure there's and app for that now.

In my younger days I use to dabble in car audio competitions and we'd use a dedicated hardware RTA box to get our systems to measure as flat as possible since that was part of the judging criteria back then. Of course for the sound quality and bass spl portions of the judging we'd have presets in our eq's and/or processors so we could tune in some bass and proper sound quality as few, if any people(including the judges) actually like the sound of a ruler flat system response. These RTA's usually had a built in spl meter and most comp's back then required the spl meter's mic to be placed on the dash.

I competed in lower power sound quality classes so I never had a mega 150db+ spl bass system but I managed to get 130db from two 10's in a small sealed box pushed by about 300w rms of power...nothing to blow your hair back but it wasn't bad for a daily driver sq system back in the mid-late 90's. I always ran unregulated "cheater" power amps at low ohm loads so even with their low 12v "official IASCA rms rated power" I used things like 2 gauge power wire and large capacitors to help when the bass hits as the amps were drawing a good bit of amperage and making well above their "rated" power.

What's funny...my home theater currently has six 18's and those little 10's in my truck can out spl the 18's. It's amazing how much easier it is to get big bass nearfield in a car/truck/suv. A friend back in the day had four 15" Kove Armageddons in a Chevy Suburban that would easily do 150db+...it would literally make you sick to your stomach to sit in it playing at those levels.

I'm not sure what the auto sound spl record is now but i think it's around 180db...which is insane. I doubt you could even physically stand to be in the vehicle at all when it's hitting those sorts of numbers.
I like to watch vids about car audio. It seems like a pretty fun hobby if you have the cash and can make it look right and sound right. I’m all about aesthetics. I don’t care how good something sounds if it doesn’t look cool sitting in my living room or in the trunk of my car I won’t do it. Luckily there’s a lot of good looking equipment out there that sounds good too.
post #41 of 44 Old 05-03-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
Different drivers, connected in different ways, used in different cabinets, will have different impedances at different frequencies. So amperage draw by the amplifier is a poor basis of comparison.

Better to use spectrograms.
I get your point I think, but surely the amp draw tells me something about how the song was produced doesn’t it?
post #42 of 44 Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
I get your point I think,
And yet you ask:

Quote:
but surely the amp draw tells me something about how the song was produced doesn’t it?
It tells you something about the song- with your specific processing, with your specific amp, with your specific listening level, through your specific speaker. Even then, a different song under the same conditions might have lower bass, even recorded at a higher level, and you could read *lower* amperage drawn by the amp.

You need to compare the song itself (e.g., with a spectrogram), not the power it takes your system to try to play the notes in the song.

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!
Amps: stacks and stacks of old iron
Main speakers: big DIYSG
Surrounds: Bose graveyard
Subs: a bunch
post #43 of 44 Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
And yet you ask:

It tells you something about the song- with your specific processing, with your specific amp, with your specific listening level, through your specific speaker. Even then, a different song under the same conditions might have lower bass, even recorded at a higher level, and you could read *lower* amperage drawn by the amp.

You need to compare the song itself (e.g., with a spectrogram), not the power it takes your system to try to play the notes in the song.
Sorry man I’m a complete novice to this, haha. Thanks for clearing it up.
fill35U likes this.
post #44 of 44 Old 05-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I like to watch vids about car audio. It seems like a pretty fun hobby if you have the cash and can make it look right and sound right. I’m all about aesthetics. I don’t care how good something sounds if it doesn’t look cool sitting in my living room or in the trunk of my car I won’t do it. Luckily there’s a lot of good looking equipment out there that sounds good too.
Yah back in the day(makes me sound like an old geezer lol) innovation, presentation/visual appeal, and install quality were all major components in scoring of a car audio competition. Now days, it's mostly about spl and to hell with what it looks like or if it's a quality installation. The audio shop I was based out of built nice demo/comp vehicles that were often custom built from the ground up...with an emphasis on the audio and finding unique and innovative ways to integrate the stereo components into the design of the vehicle. There are some nice vehicles on yt but the majority are just thrown together pos spl monsters that are literally being shaken apart from the bass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page