AVS Forum banner

Whose system is tough enough to play this?

2K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Archaea 
#1 ·
Interstellar Brownies by Idealism.

Found this track digging through the dusty parts of Tidal. A gem of a subwoofer test. Don’t let the mild sound of it fool you. This song digs deep especially at the very end. Beware.

Check out some of the other stuff by Idealism if you like the sound and bass. Much of his stuff is very similar. Not sure who this music is aimed at, easy light piano with earth shattering bass, but I dig it. My Rythmik G25HP nailed it even though the LED light blinked a couple of times at the end. I run my system with the bass maxed out on the sub and preamp but the G25HP never falters. Sounds perfect the whole time.

Let’s see how the rest of you fared with it cranked up.

#2 ·
So, yeah, some deep bass on this but boring as ****...

#8 ·
I just played it fairly loud (-8dB MV with subs about 4dB hot) sounded clean (except the pops and crackles in the track itself). Mrs said "turn that dog crap down" - so didn't push it any louder
definitely some deep notes in there

Give "Harry Bercules - - Walkens Pendulum (2012)." a go, this one flexes my windows a bit

#11 ·
I’m sorry your mrs took offense. It’s a man’s hobby it seems. I will check out that one too, thanks!

Holy crap that’s nuts. Played it a t reference on two s3601s ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! I can only imagine the pounding those things gave you.

not a fan of it...liked listening to the dudes conversation in background...was annoying actually...but gave something to focus on vs the synthetic bass notes.
It’s a weird song alright. The background noises seem to be the guy’s calling card. Gives the music a sense of energy. I guess I’m a fan of unexpected heavy synthetic bass tones though so I dig it.

#10 ·
not a fan of it...liked listening to the dudes conversation in background...was annoying actually...but gave something to focus on vs the synthetic bass notes.

#29 ·
Wait, what? Is this regarding Interstellar Brownies? I heard tons of noises dancing around my sound-stage lighting it up like twinkling LEDs, lots of little points. I heard one instance of a guy talking for like a few seconds, I don't know what he said. But, I heard no conversation...did I not listen enough, lol? Maybe my bass was too hot, lol.

Anyway, holy crap bass! I had my master volume at my typical late-night listening levels and my near-field subs were giving me a slight massage. I'm going to have to check this out at higher levels!
here a tidal playlist thats electronic that I can jam to...I find it sounds really good. https://tidal.com/playlist/e777171b-1540-451f-841d-3890b073fb80
Some interesting stuff on there. I only listened to the first few before I had to hit the sack, but nothing so far has made me feel like it was going to have insane bass pressure at higher levels.
Breathe This Air by Jon Hopkins

Got another bass gem for you guys. If you think your subs can handle it, go crank this up and feel the awesome opening bass hit. This track is beautiful yet merciless.
Like the other one better for bass, but I think this was more interesting overall.
That system sounds awesome. You should film a demo when the Mrs is away!

I’m sure most people who frequent this forum have capable systems, I just wanted to spread some cool music and encourage everyone to enjoy the bass to the fullest. And then to tell others about it here. I know the focus of really crazy bass systems is usually for movies, but music is my main passion and there’s a lot of new electronic stuff with a big focus on bass. It’s not just hip hop and dubstep, it’s spreading to other more “adult” genres.
It's not that impressive compared to other people's stuff around here. But, it's fun enough for me. I am still considering replacing some of the subs with 24s from DSS. We'll see.

And, my focus is also music, I crank that way more often than movies, so...yeah, keep the suggestions coming!

#19 ·
#23 ·
Will have to try these out when I get home, if I remember. Unfortunately, "crank it" won't be "allowed" with the Mrs. home.

I'm pretty sure, however, that my four Seaton F18s and twin SubM's can handle anything I throw at them with aplomb. My house, on the other hand, well, I don't hear it while in the basement, but my wife tells me everything upstairs rattles like crazy, lol. I can see my entire drop ceiling grid shake on occasion, though, and that's fun; cleaning all the dust off everything afterwards, though, less so.

#24 ·
That system sounds awesome. You should film a demo when the Mrs is away!

I’m sure most people who frequent this forum have capable systems, I just wanted to spread some cool music and encourage everyone to enjoy the bass to the fullest. And then to tell others about it here. I know the focus of really crazy bass systems is usually for movies, but music is my main passion and there’s a lot of new electronic stuff with a big focus on bass. It’s not just hip hop and dubstep, it’s spreading to other more “adult” genres.

#25 ·
#27 ·
focal is the brand of gear I use for speakers. they just made some high quality streaming playlists on different sites like spotify or tidal...

#30 ·
Dude, I’m planning on getting a DSS 24 myself! I love my Rythmik, but that 24” driver is calling me. I can’t get really good stuff under 10Hz in my room with the G25HP and it annoys me when that deep punch on Bass I Love You can’t really be felt. So I figure the 24 is the way to go.

And I totally agree about Breathe This Air. Fantastic song with nice bass but Interstellar Brownies is on a another level. Gonna be hard to top that one without going to Bassotronics stuff which I love, but kinda feels like cheating when the purpose of it is to basically demo car audio competitions.

#31 ·
Song of the day:

Track11 by Tetrphnm

This is a very simple and spaced out electronic track with chill vibes. The bass is just a repeating beat that has a nice soft and smooth but very deep punch. The kind of punch that is felt more than heard. Great song to zone out with.

#32 ·
So, got a chance to crank these quite a bit harder yesterday and I must say, I have to reverse my opinion on Breathe This Air. There's like a throbbing heart-beat bass that as I cranked it up really undulated my body. It was pretty intense, even more than Interstellar Brownies!

MOAR PLZ, lol.

#33 ·
Breather This Air is dope. One of Hopkins best. Another bassy gem from him is:

Sun Harmonics

This one is loaded with a nice bass throb throughout, but one of the best parts is in the last few minutes as the song changes into an atmospheric ambient drone. There are a few thunderous booms that really shake things up and catch you off guard. Worth the 12 minute listen.

#34 ·
Since this is turning into kind of a "bass song" thread how about some Pete Belasco...title track on his album "Deeper" will give your woofers a pretty good workout. The whole album has a good bit of bass but Deeper, as it's name suggests, has some deep bass...go figure.;)

#35 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! I listened to this song and it does indeed have nice deep bass hits.

I’d like to talk about amp draw in deep bass songs for a moment. I have a Panamax power conditioner thing which tells me how much amps are being drawn in real time. I like to use it to get an idea of how “powerful” the bass in my system is.

For example, in the above mentioned track Deeper the peak draw was around 2.7-2.8 amps. Most music at that level hardly increases amp draw by more than 0.1 or 0.2 from the baseline which is usually 2.0 on my system. At the same level, Bass I Love You drew about 7 amps during that big 7Hz punch. Interstellar Brownies draws 4.7 during its deepest hits, and at the end of the song during its major bass waves it drew 5.7, 9.1 and 9.8 amps in succession.

This is the metric I use to determine bass content of songs. Not sure it’s the best method or not but it seems to indicate really low and loud bass hits. Any thoughts?

#36 ·
in theory it may make sense. in car audio competitions that measure spl for living...its not so tru all the time. so common sense says yeah more power=louder....but in reality great engineering/design can make power look silly.

#45 ·
Will try some of these others tonight — found this thread while searching for a spectrum analysis of Harry Bercules: Walkens Pendulum

One of my personal favs that I’ve ever run across. I know it hits low, just not sure how low. It makes the wooden floor above my home theater room feel like I’m walking on a boat dock with eight sealed 18” subwoofers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.