Sub recommendation in ~$1k range for my room and usage - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By miketofani

post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sub recommendation in ~$1k range for my room and usage

Hi,

I have an old M&K MX-125 MK II sub that has been acting up lately, so I started looking at a new sub but could use some help deciding what is best for my room. My room is 12x16, with an opening to the adjacent kitchen (ie only 3 walls). Currently my sub is in the corner next to my couch, so I will likely use that same space for the new sub. I typically don't play my system very loud and will use it equally for movies, music and video games, but I do value accuracy over volume.

My speakers are older B&W bookshelf speakers - DM602 and 601 and my receiver is a Denon AVR-2809 and I use Audyssey MultEQ XT. I'd like to stay around $1k, so I was initially looking at either the Rythmik LVX12 or the FVX15, but I know there are tons of other options out there and could use some suggestions.

Also, since most of the internet direct companies don't offer free return shipping (other than SVS), does anyone know how much return shipping would typically cost for a sub? Given the weight and size I would imagine it is quite expensive.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
when I lived in apts I was into smallish sealed subs like velodyne 12. now that in a home, I think small subs just a toy. large 15+ inch subs gonna cost more than 200 bux to ship.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post
Hi,

I have an old M&K MX-125 MK II sub that has been acting up lately, so I started looking at a new sub but could use some help deciding what is best for my room. My room is 12x16, with an opening to the adjacent kitchen (ie only 3 walls). Currently my sub is in the corner next to my couch, so I will likely use that same space for the new sub. I typically don't play my system very loud and will use it equally for movies, music and video games, but I do value accuracy over volume.

My speakers are older B&W bookshelf speakers - DM602 and 601 and my receiver is a Denon AVR-2809 and I use Audyssey MultEQ XT. I'd like to stay around $1k, so I was initially looking at either the Rythmik LVX12 or the FVX15, but I know there are tons of other options out there and could use some suggestions.

Also, since most of the internet direct companies don't offer free return shipping (other than SVS), does anyone know how much return shipping would typically cost for a sub? Given the weight and size I would imagine it is quite expensive.

Thanks!
You shouldn't worry too much about return shipping. SVS has it factored into the price, that's why some feel that SVS is overprice for the performance. You're paying for peace of mind in a sense.

Take a look at the PSA V1510DF. It's in your budget, relatively compact for a ported 15" sub, and would make a nice end table.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2019, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A sub is a sub. Read the specs for bass extension and SPL. Do you homework so you won't have to return it. Basically it boils down to your taste in looks as they all perform just about the same. I have the HSU VTF3.5 and it's piano black but I wish I would have gotten the flagship for less port noise and it looks better too imo. My room is just a little bigger than yours and with the amp set at 10 o'clock my room correction set the sub at -13 so there is plenty of overhead. I located the sub behind me and it blends so well with the front stage that you would think the front towers were sending the bass. You will not regret getting a 15" with <20hz bass extension. It's pretty big though so consider that. You have about 4 options for $1000. Pick the one that looks the best to you.
iceatola likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 38
+1 vote for the Rythmik FVX15. "I value accuracy over volume" = Rythmik
Unless potential duals are an option if you go LVX12. Then that may be the route you want to go. I cannot express enough how happy I am with my Rythmik subs (Dual FV15HP)

Receiver: Marantz 5012 Power: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 1
Towers: Klipsch RF83 Center: Klipsch RP450C
Surrounds: Klipsch RS42II
Subs: Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page