Adding a subwoofer to my Samsung 8500 ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Adding a subwoofer to my Samsung 8500 ?

Is it possible to add a subwoofer to my Samsung 8500 UHDTV?

I don't have a sound system/receiver so only using the existing TV sound which has surprisingly decent quality; however, would love to incorporate some bass to enjoy movies.

Note: I currently have a Yamaha YST-SW205 70 watt powered subwoofer with front adjustment knobs.

Thank you !

Note: just found an article which said this can be done as long as it's a power subwoofer and can be hooked up via a audio Y-adaptor attached to the 2 stereo output jacks in the back of the TV to a single connection into the subwoofer to condense the stereo signal into 1 signal.

Not sure if this appropriate, thus why I want to check with you guys before I possibly damage the TV ??

Last edited by rabvet; 05-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
If you have an MU8500 or an NU8500, neither one has an analog audio output. (Samsung seems to have abandoned analog I/O. I had a 2016 KS8000.)

They have optical outputs. There are inexpensive digital optical to analog adapters available, but they would be of little use, as the TV doesn't control the volume of the optical output.

I know of no other work-arounds that would allow the TV to control the volume.

Sorry that I can't be more encouraging.

Incidentally, if the TV had a stereo analog audio output (which it does not), you'd want to connect it to the two line level inputs on your YST-SW205. It will mix the two signals to mono. I can't swear that tying two stereo channels together directly would damage the hardware, but I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited by bobknavs; 05-12-2019 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
If you have an MU8500 or an NU8500, neither one has an analog audio output. (Samsung seems to have abandoned analog I/O. I had a 2016 KS8000.)

They have optical outputs. There are inexpensive digital optical to analog adapters available, but they would be of little use, as the TV doesn't control the volume of the optical output.

I know of no other work-arounds that would allow the TV to control the volume.

Sorry that I can't be more encouraging.

Incidentally, if the TV had a stereo analog audio output (which it does not), you'd want to connect it to the two line level inputs on your YST-SW205. It will mix the two signals to mono. I can't swear that tying two stereo channels together directly would damage the hardware, but I wouldn't risk it.
Thank you Bob,

Curiosity got the best of me so I picked up a Audio Y- adaptor (4' long) and attached the red & white end into the TV audio red & white jacks in the back of the TV and the single end into the subwoofer, I plugged in the subwoofer power chord, turned on the TV and all I got was a hum from the subwoofer which got much loader when I turned up the subwoofer's volume control. I tried both the TV's (AV in 1) and (AV in 2) with the same results. Also the Samsung TV is actually a UN65HU8550F.

I also connected a double stereo wire (red & white) at both ends and connected to the TV & the subwoofer's RH & LH connections and got no noise at all coming out of the subwoofer.

So a bit disappointed, but nothing ventured nothing gained !!! I'm still amazed at the sound quality of this TV's internal speakers, whereas my other smaller HDTV's are quite low luster! Would've loved to get some subwoofer base to compliment the existing TV's speakers, but didn't work out !!

Thank you again !!

Ralph

Last edited by rabvet; 05-13-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah. An older TV.

The attached is a picture of the back panel inputs and outputs of an HU8550 from rtings.com. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/hu8550

All of the RCA jacks are inputs. You won't get any signal out of them.

The only analog audio output is a 3.5 mm stereo jack. You may be able to use it with this type of cable: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...gateway&sr=8-3 (You can get a similar cable at Best Buy, at prices ranging from higher to absurd.)

I don't see in the HU8550's manual whether that output is active when sound is playing through the TV's speakers. It may be worth an experiment.

I suggest setting the high frequency cutoff of the Yamaha sub towards the middle of the range (should be around 100 Hz).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hu8550-inputs-back-medium.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2566294  
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

The one I used was: ONN 3.5 MM AUX TO RCA STEREO CABLE

Wonder if this is the same as the one you listed ---- just a cheaper version ??

I also did try all the jacks in the picture with no luck ----- so I think you're correct saying those outputs are not active ?

Thank you !

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-3-5-M...Feet/829969025
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabvet View Post
The one I used was: ONN 3.5 MM AUX TO RCA STEREO CABLE

Wonder if this is the same as the one you listed ---- just a cheaper version ??

I also did try all the jacks in the picture with no luck ----- so I think you're correct saying those outputs are not active ?

Thank you !

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-3-5-M...Feet/829969025
They are inputs, not outputs, if I understand them correctly.

The cable that you provide a link to is the right type. Let us know if it works for you. I'm not certain that 3.5mm output jack is active when you are using the TVs speakers. (I hope that it is.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page