AVS Forum banner

Worth adding a 3rd Sub?

545 views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Alan P 
#1 ·
I'm running 2 PSA v1510df's located up front. I have an old Klipsch KSW-12 sub and was debating on adding it as a nearfield sub located between right surround and sofa. I'm aware of REW, miniDSP and a UMIK microphone but don't own them nor have any experience with them. Thoughts on if this is a good idea to get some additional TR or would be too difficult or a bad fit to integrate in? (plus the extra cost of the mic and dsp)

#2 · (Edited)
I'm running 2 PSA v1510df's located up front. I have an old Klipsch KSW-12 sub and was debating on adding it as a nearfield sub located between right surround and sofa. I'm aware of REW, miniDSP and a UMIK microphone but don't own them nor have any experience with them. Thoughts on if this is a good idea to get some additional TR or would be too difficult or a bad fit to integrate in? (plus the extra cost of the mic and dsp)
Integrating different subs are much harder to do, also if your run an Auto Calibration like Audyssey and others.
The calibration system will set level to match the weaker sub.

Many have been in the same boat, as you are. And once they remove the weaker sub, the superior sub came Alive even with only one sub instead of two (after a new calibration).
Therefore, my suggestion is to remove the Klipsch KSW-12. And enjoy your two PSA:)

And if still not happy about your TR presence, you could save money to get one more PSA v1510.
That said, if your room is over a concrete foundation.
I would look into this option instead, since Bass sound do not produce much TR over a concrete floor;
Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide

Darth

#3 ·
Try it and give it a listen. If it sounds better or makes a noticeable improvement then you're golden. If not you're only out a little time.

My two subs aren't nearly as different in capabilities but they are different and running both makes a noticeable improvement over just the more powerful one.

#4 ·
Just add some transducers/bass shakers and then you will be good to go ;)

#8 ·
I would highly recommend taking a look at @trhought "The Hideaway Theater" thread and look at a BOSS build on a mini riser. I just built one myself and it works amazingly well. I've got 2 18" VBSS subs nearfield and the BOSS gives 10x the tactile response. It's very inexpensive too. It is a DIY project, but a very easy one.

I'll try to post the link to that thread, but it never seems to come up right.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=2991522&share_fid=47413&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I would also recommend considering bass shakers. One of the best upgrades I've done for my room ;)

#15 ·
The cream of the crop are Crowsons...but, by all reports, the BOSS comes very, very close to the effect the Crowsons give at a small fraction of the price.

Buttkickers are a distant 2nd (for ULF at least).

#17 ·
I think it is a good idea. I have 4 subwoofers and my Receiver (Pioneer SC-95) has two separate subwoofer outputs with their own calibration curves.

The "main" subwoofers are two Klipsch R-115SW up front and then two near-field units right behind the main seating, Elemental Designs A2-300.

#18 ·
I think it is a good idea. I have 4 subwoofers and my Receiver (Pioneer SC-95) has two separate subwoofer outputs with their own calibration curves.

The "main" subwoofers are two Klipsch R-115SW up front and then two near-field units right behind the main seating, Elemental Designs A2-300.
Just to clarify...MCACC Pro does not EQ each sub separately. It will set separate levels and distances, but both subs are EQ'ed "as one". ;)

EQ'ing subs separately is not usually recommended and is best done only via software (i.e. MSO).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.