Looking to upgrade from my dual SVS 16-46CS+ subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By dpc716
  • 2 Post By zeus33

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Looking to upgrade from my dual SVS 16-46CS+ subs

I have had my current subs since 2002, and at some point I upgraded the woofers to the 12.3 models if I remember the designation correctly. I've also had to replace the amp when the original Samson amp SVS sold me lost a channel. Overall they have served me well, but lately I've been noticing some noises that don't sound right with really loud, low sounds and I think it's time to upgrade.

So my question is, what is a good upgrade from these? A lot has changed in the subwoofer market in the past 17 years. I see that Tom is now at Power Sound Audio, and Ron has moved to a new industry. I'm not even sure how to draw a comparison to what I have since they've been off the market so long. So far I've been looking at specs at SVS, Power Sound Audio, and JTR.

I'm dealing with an enclosed room, approximately 12' x 19' x 10' (WxLxH), on a slab, with the second row of seating on a raised platform. I have 7 channels of Klipsch KL-7800-THX in-wall speakers along with 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos, Marantz 7704. I'm mainly concerned about movies. I want to feel the bass as well as hear it.

So I'm curious if folks think a single SVS PB-4000 or PSA V1811 or S3611 would provide more oomph than my current subs. Do I need to step up to a PB16-Ultra or do I need to work with dual subs again?

My budget is 2 grandish, but I have wiggle room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Talking

Have you considered DIY ? I have four SI 18s with diy boxes with an I Nuke amp . It's easy putting the boxes together and they are great bang for the buck . Many threads are available to show you how .
post #3 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 686
If you have a jigsaw and an imagination, how about making your own DIY sonotube subwoofers? Large diameter sonotube is available from many wholesale / home improvement suppliers. A router is a handy tool along with a circle cutting jig, though not 100% necessary.

https://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm
https://www.subwoofer-builder.com/WinISD.htm

Resource for subwoofer driver measurements and completed systems:

https://legacy.data-bass.com/home

Soon to be moved to new home:

https://data-bass.com/#/?_k=5k2xtu

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info, but I'm really not interested in DIY for this. Whatever I do would look like **** and I wouldn't want in my theater.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Higher priced than you wanted but I would look at a pair of Rythmik FV18's (possibly with the paper cone.)
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
Higher priced than you wanted but I would look at a pair of Rythmik FV18's (possibly with the paper cone.)
Can't say that I'm familiar with them, but I'll look 'em up and see what they got.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Generally dual subs are recommended if you're trying to spread bass response across multiple seats, so if that's your situation, I'd be looking at duals.

For impactful response for movie watching, ported is generally recommended, even more so if cost is a factor.

PSA and Rythmik are similar in the sense that they have an entry level 15" ported, a high output 15", a ported 18", and a dual drive ported (15" for Rythmik, 18" for PSA). Each step up the ladder gets you a few more DB of output, it's just a matter of what your stopping point will be for cost. Even a pair of the entry level 15"s would be an upgrade over what you have now, though if you're only going to upgrade every 15 years or so, I'd suggest trying to make it a bigger jump if you can. Unfortunately since your current subs are pretty capable, a meaningful upgrade can't be had for cheap.
darthray likes this.

Last edited by dpc716; 05-16-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
So my question is, what is a good upgrade from these? A lot has changed in the subwoofer market in the past 17 years. I see that Tom is now at Power Sound Audio, and Ron has moved to a new industry. I'm not even sure how to draw a comparison to what I have since they've been off the market so long. So far I've been looking at specs at SVS, Power Sound Audio, and JTR.

Hit Tom up at PSA. He obviously has intimate knowledge of your existing subs and can give you very good recommendations for an upgrade path. Believe it or not, he is actually unbiased and will recommend another brand sub if he thinks it will fit your needs better. His customer service is second to none as well.

Also, he is releasing some new subs in a few weeks and will be getting a LOT of trade ins. He can make you a great deal on some of those and they will come with a new 5 year warranty. Food for thought.
Keith Mickunas and darthray like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely reach out to PSA and see what will be coming up.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Hit Tom up at PSA. He obviously has intimate knowledge of your existing subs and can give you very good recommendations for an upgrade path. Believe it or not, he is actually unbiased and will recommend another brand sub if he thinks it will fit your needs better. His customer service is second to none as well.

Also, he is releasing some new subs in a few weeks and will be getting a LOT of trade ins. He can make you a great deal on some of those and they will come with a new 5 year warranty. Food for thought.
Big +1

Darth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page