Hsu vs SVS vs RSL vs Monolith vs Rythmik - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 83 Old 05-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlguapo View Post
$660 for that Monolith 12 is a fantastic deal, but if it's too big then what can you do? I've got some experience with the dual Monolith 10's. I really like them and I think you'll be happy (once you get the 2nd). They come with a beast of an amplifier. I think it's the same one that's in the 12". Movies get fun once you get down under 20Hz and you start to feel the action instead of just hear it.
I agree. In his space would have loved to see starting with just a single M12, with no plans of upgrading or a 2nd as far as anyone needs to know. Maybe something else will happen, so what. Especially with a sale going on currently, specifically on the M12.

Ultimately though we need to support the OP In his decision. Congrats on the M10, I'm certain you'll enjoy it. Get one or three more eventually, just hate thAt this happened while the M12 was on sale.
A_D_A_M likes this.
Leon! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 83 Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Audioholics rated the Mono 10 as suitable for large rooms up to 5500ft^3, with the caveat that it'll struggle with that size. Idk, maybe I'll get the 12 and leave the grill on. Ain't like she's gonna measure the cone lol.
z3roz is offline  
post #63 of 83 Old 05-21-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,197
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
Audioholics rated the Mono 10 as suitable for large rooms up to 5500ft^3, with the caveat that it'll struggle with that size. Idk, maybe I'll get the 12 and leave the grill on. Ain't like she's gonna measure the cone lol.
I suspect the cone itself IS 10"! Tell her the surround doesn't count in the measurement. Of course, that huge box proclaiming a 12" sub inside may prove to be a downside to the plan ... Tell Mono to send it in an unmarked box with the 10" user guide!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 83 Old 05-21-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll just beat her home and cross out the '12' and write '10.' She'll never know!

In all seriousness, she'll get over it if I get the 12's, it's just a matter of long it'll take...
d-rail34 likes this.
z3roz is offline  
post #65 of 83 Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
Audioholics rated the Mono 10 as suitable for large rooms up to 5500ft^3, with the caveat that it'll struggle with that size. Idk, maybe I'll get the 12 and leave the grill on. Ain't like she's gonna measure the cone lol.
Yeah, that's not happening unless you only plan on playing at low levels. Get the 12!

And here I am with 2 12" subs that extend below 10Hz in a 1400ft^3 room. Granted they are sealed and don't have monster 20Hz output, but 100-105dB is enough for me...for now.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #66 of 83 Old 05-22-2019, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How about a DIY Dayton Audio Ultimax 18" Sub Kit with 1200watt Amp? Would it be comparable to the subs you mentioned? It's only 20.75inches deep, and I would think have a lot of output.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, NXG-NX BAS 500 (for now)

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Mocs123 is online now  
post #67 of 83 Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I will be the odd man out. He will be fine with the two 10s. While the larger subs would better fill the space, the 10s will provide more output than his prior sub was capable, with much more output below 30hz. With two subs, his null at 40-50 hz should be lessened for better impact. Most importantly, it is the agreement he and his significant other reached and it is not for us to question that.
Mocs123 and pault1 like this.
CDMC2 is online now  
post #68 of 83 Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I find those "rated for" a certain size space standards kind of like window A/C unit ratings, you have to go way, way over, if you really want to feel it.

But for OP's situation, I think he's on to something with the bait & switch- but find a legit "10" badge of some kind, metallic sticker or something, so long as it looks professional... now if she's really out here measuring cones well forget it.
Leon! is offline  
post #69 of 83 Old 05-22-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMC2 View Post
I will be the odd man out. He will be fine with the two 10s. While the larger subs would better fill the space, the 10s will provide more output than his prior sub was capable, with much more output below 30hz. With two subs, his null at 40-50 hz should be lessened for better impact. Most importantly, it is the agreement he and his significant other reached and it is not for us to question that.
Well said. If they get here and aren't enough, I'll trade up. I'll find out Friday what one sounds like at least.
z3roz is offline  
post #70 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Mono 10 came today.

Visual Impression:

For a 10, it's extremely heavy. Heavier than my 15" Velo. It's also beautiful, for a black box. The size is smaller than I was expecting, so I think the 12 would have been doable.

The switch gear on the amp is high quality, and the sub looks like it's all business.

The grill is ridiculous and overkill, but awesome.

First listening impression:

It does bass very, very well. I hooked it up, didn't calibrate anything, set it to THX, phase 0, -6db on the gain, crossover at 80hz. In my opinion it's the worst case scenario. I then put on Edge of Tomorrow, and was not expecting what happened next, especially in a 3500^ft3 room. The opening scene had my pant leg shaking at 13ft away. One big problem on that scene, the bass extension is crazy low, which meant a ridiculous amount of port noise. There was so much air coming out of there it's like a hair dryer on high.

I've never felt impact like this in a sub. My 15" Velo doesn't even compete. The low bass extension is crazy for a 10". I kept thinking 'How?????' The midbass to me is good, which must be due to room gain. The Velo sounded sloppy and loose by comparison.

Voices have more depth, the bass sounds throaty but not boomy, and it appears to be happening with no effort at all. The bass also seems less localized in the same spot the Velo was in.

My one issue is the port noise. Not sure if it's normal on this little guy, but it may be an issue going forward. I guess I'm used to slot ports.

I'll post more when I get it calibrated. Maybe a full review since there doesn't seem to be one in this size room.

I can't imagine two 12's, although I am curious. The problem is going to be convincing my wife that one isn't enough. Oh well, a second 10" is on the way.

Last edited by z3roz; 05-24-2019 at 12:43 PM.
z3roz is offline  
post #71 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 2444
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
The Mono 10 came today.

Visual Impression:

For a 10, it's extremely heavy. Heavier than my 15" Velo. It's also beautiful, for a black box. The size is smaller than I was expecting, so I think the 12 would have been doable.

The switch gear on the amp is high quality, and the sub looks like it's all business.

The grill is ridiculous and overkill, but awesome.

First listening impression:

It does bass very, very well. I hooked it up, didn't calibrate anything, set it to THX, phase 0, -6db on the gain, crossover at 80hz. In my opinion it's the worst case scenario. I then put on Edge of Tomorrow, and was not expecting what happened next, especially in a 3500^ft3 room. The opening scene had my pant leg shaking at 13ft away. One big problem on that scene, the bass extension is crazy low, which meant a ridiculous amount of port noise. There was so much air coming out of there it's like a hair dryer on high.

I've never felt impact like this in a sub. My 15" Velo doesn't even compete. The low bass extension is crazy for a 10". I kept thinking 'How?????' The midbass to me is good, which must be due to room gain. The Velo sounded sloppy and loose by comparison.

Voices have more depth, the bass sounds throaty but not boomy, and it appears to be happening with no effort at all. The bass also seems less localized in the same spot the Velo was in.

My one issue is the port noise. Not sure if it's normal on this little guy, but it may be an issue going forward. I guess I'm used to slot ports.

I'll post more when I get it calibrated. Maybe a full review since there doesn't seem to be one in this size room.

I can't imagine two 12's, although I am curious. The problem is going to be convincing my wife that one isn't enough. Oh well, a second 10" is on the way.
The EOT intro goes below 10hz and pretty much will make any ported sub chuff if the volume is high enough. IMO you shouldn't notice any during normal operation. But if you have the room and money an upgrade to the 12" would be a pretty substantial gain.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #72 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Dual PC2000 for my 4500 cu.ft. HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
I like the SVS PC-2000. Get duals for that large space.
Agreed. I spent the last month going through this process and ultimately concluded the best bang for the buck was dual SVS PC2000. I wanted smooth bass across a large seating area (10 ft. couch) for under $2,000, and there was no way a single sub would have done it. I waffled between dual Monolith ported 12" or dual Rythmik F12 or FOUR RSL subs, and ultimately concluded after reading/watching many reviews that the PC-2000 went deepest for the $ and was as fast/accurate as the best of them for music. RSL subs do not go deep and will not even break 24 Hz, but are a good match with the limited dynamics of smaller bookshelf LCR setups. Will let you all know how my dual PC2000 works out when my HT overhaul is complete sometime in June.
8KCRT is offline  
post #73 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
The Mono 10 came today.

Visual Impression:

For a 10, it's extremely heavy. Heavier than my 15" Velo. It's also beautiful, for a black box. The size is smaller than I was expecting, so I think the 12 would have been doable.

The switch gear on the amp is high quality, and the sub looks like it's all business.

The grill is ridiculous and overkill, but awesome.

First listening impression:

It does bass very, very well. I hooked it up, didn't calibrate anything, set it to THX, phase 0, -6db on the gain, crossover at 80hz. In my opinion it's the worst case scenario. I then put on Edge of Tomorrow, and was not expecting what happened next, especially in a 3500^ft3 room. The opening scene had my pant leg shaking at 13ft away. One big problem on that scene, the bass extension is crazy low, which meant a ridiculous amount of port noise. There was so much air coming out of there it's like a hair dryer on high.

I've never felt impact like this in a sub. My 15" Velo doesn't even compete. The low bass extension is crazy for a 10". I kept thinking 'How?????' The midbass to me is good, which must be due to room gain. The Velo sounded sloppy and loose by comparison.

Voices have more depth, the bass sounds throaty but not boomy, and it appears to be happening with no effort at all. The bass also seems less localized in the same spot the Velo was in.

My one issue is the port noise. Not sure if it's normal on this little guy, but it may be an issue going forward. I guess I'm used to slot ports.

I'll post more when I get it calibrated. Maybe a full review since there doesn't seem to be one in this size room.

I can't imagine two 12's, although I am curious. The problem is going to be convincing my wife that one isn't enough. Oh well, a second 10" is on the way.
I expect great things from the second one! Keep in mind if you want more SPL, stack them. Placing them at opposite ends of the room only smoothens the bass curve, but won't add SPL so may not solve the chuffing issue.
8KCRT is offline  
post #74 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,875
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
The Mono 10 came today.

Visual Impression:

For a 10, it's extremely heavy. Heavier than my 15" Velo. It's also beautiful, for a black box. The size is smaller than I was expecting, so I think the 12 would have been doable.

The switch gear on the amp is high quality, and the sub looks like it's all business.

The grill is ridiculous and overkill, but awesome.

First listening impression:

It does bass very, very well. I hooked it up, didn't calibrate anything, set it to THX, phase 0, -6db on the gain, crossover at 80hz. In my opinion it's the worst case scenario. I then put on Edge of Tomorrow, and was not expecting what happened next, especially in a 3500^ft3 room. The opening scene had my pant leg shaking at 13ft away. One big problem on that scene, the bass extension is crazy low, which meant a ridiculous amount of port noise. There was so much air coming out of there it's like a hair dryer on high.

I've never felt impact like this in a sub. My 15" Velo doesn't even compete. The low bass extension is crazy for a 10". I kept thinking 'How?????' The midbass to me is good, which must be due to room gain. The Velo sounded sloppy and loose by comparison.

Voices have more depth, the bass sounds throaty but not boomy, and it appears to be happening with no effort at all. The bass also seems less localized in the same spot the Velo was in.

My one issue is the port noise. Not sure if it's normal on this little guy, but it may be an issue going forward. I guess I'm used to slot ports.

I'll post more when I get it calibrated. Maybe a full review since there doesn't seem to be one in this size room.

I can't imagine two 12's, although I am curious. The problem is going to be convincing my wife that one isn't enough. Oh well, a second 10" is on the way.

The one knock I have with the Monolith 10, albeit a small knock, is port noise during some really demanding scenes. Server room scene in Pulse is another. The Monolith 12 does a much better job limiting port noise, maybe better than any other sub I've ever heard/had. To be fair, the EOT opening scene is really just a subwoofer torture test of LFE that goes far below the port tune of the Monolith 10. The Monolith 10 actually does as well or better than many similar subs when it comes to port noise. I guarantee if you ran the EOT opening scene with same settings with the HSU VTF-2 in 1 port mode it would have mad port noise. Same with the 15" VTF-3. That scene will make even much more capable subs chuff.
ahblaza likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Pioneer FS52/BS22A/C22. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith AM Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31.JBL Live500bt. Logitech GPro HS. Plantronics RIG 500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,PK5,PH4. UE Boom3.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #75 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,875
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
I expect great things from the second one! Keep in mind if you want more SPL, stack them. Placing them at opposite ends of the room only smoothens the bass curve, but won't add SPL so may not solve the chuffing issue.

That's actually not the case. Adding a second identical sub placed together does add 6dB, but you will get an increase in output when you split them apart within a room. The amount of increased output can vary based on the environment and the frequency, but you will get an increase in output when they are properly placed.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Pioneer FS52/BS22A/C22. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith AM Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31.JBL Live500bt. Logitech GPro HS. Plantronics RIG 500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,PK5,PH4. UE Boom3.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #76 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Been listening to it for a couple hours. Really, really impressive little beast. I still can't get a 12. The boss won't allow it. I can feel the Mimic in EOT walking from 13 feet. Pretty amazing for a 10. I'm sure the 12 would be better, but I'm really satisfied with even one 10".
z3roz is offline  
post #77 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,875
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
Been listening to it for a couple hours. Really, really impressive little beast. I still can't get a 12. The boss won't allow it. I can feel the Mimic in EOT walking from 13 feet. Pretty amazing for a 10. I'm sure the 12 would be better, but I'm really satisfied with even one 10".

If you look at the max output numbers for the Monolith 10 and SVS PB12-NSD, they are pretty similar. I actually had both the Monolith 10 and PB12-NSD at the same time and did compare them with different movies. The PB12-NSD did lower LFE a little better. No real surprise, since it's a 12" driver, larger cabinet and larger port. Still yet, the difference in the two isn't that great and for a 10" sub the Monolith is pretty darn impressive. It's just overshadowed by it's bigger brothers who are REALLY impressive.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Pioneer FS52/BS22A/C22. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith AM Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31.JBL Live500bt. Logitech GPro HS. Plantronics RIG 500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,PK5,PH4. UE Boom3.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #78 of 83 Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Member
 
tlguapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
Been listening to it for a couple hours. Really, really impressive little beast. I still can't get a 12. The boss won't allow it. I can feel the Mimic in EOT walking from 13 feet. Pretty amazing for a 10. I'm sure the 12 would be better, but I'm really satisfied with even one 10".

Edge of tomorrow is a torture test. I have dual PB-2000's and they struggle with that opening scene too. That single 10 will hit hard and it gets low. Wait for a sale or something and when you're ready, grab a 2nd. You'll be surprised at the difference it makes. You may also want to consider the SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System. My cousin has them on his dual Monolith 10's and they fit fine and really helped out a lot.
tlguapo is offline  
post #79 of 83 Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
z3roz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Oh they'll be two for sure. I'm in the honeymoon phase right now so I'm trying to be objective rather than subjective. I will say that the port plug, for me, is kinda useless. Tried it in several configs with music and I just don't like the sound. On the 12 I'm sure it makes a bigger difference.

If they both go on sale I may pick up two 12's to try out. My goal was to match the output of the Velo 15, and just one of these far, far exceeds it.

An interesting note is that the null I was experiencing is greatly diminished with the 10 in the same spot as the 15, which leads me to believe it was the sub and not the room.
z3roz is offline  
post #80 of 83 Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3roz View Post
Oh they'll be two for sure. I'm in the honeymoon phase right now so I'm trying to be objective rather than subjective. I will say that the port plug, for me, is kinda useless. Tried it in several configs with music and I just don't like the sound. On the 12 I'm sure it makes a bigger difference.

If they both go on sale I may pick up two 12's to try out. My goal was to match the output of the Velo 15, and just one of these far, far exceeds it.

An interesting note is that the null I was experiencing is greatly diminished with the 10 in the same spot as the 15, which leads me to believe it was the sub and not the room.
In your case I would expect the port plugs to be useless. Your room is large enough you have no real transfer function gain until below at least 30hz. If you had a much smaller room with gain occurring starting at 35-50hz, the seale$ configuration would be beneficial, as it would start the rolloff sooner and shallower, which would offset the room gain.

Glad it is working well.
CDMC2 is online now  
post #81 of 83 Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. I am building a new house and plan to use a sun room as my HT (80% movies/TV) 5.1.2 (w/connection for 2 subs) system. Starting with a new ELAC debut 5.2 L/C/R speaker trio with wall speakers and ceiling speakers for surround duty but only have an older Def Tech 600 sub so the sub will be my first upgrade. Room is roughly 14 ft sq with 9 ft ceiling, windows on 2 sides, and half wall open to much larger volume so I'm expecting bass will be a challenge (however, we are not bass-heads). Same considerations as OP, can't be too big, budget constraints, etc, etc. My first impression is to go with a couple of smaller subs (like SVS 1000 series similar the OP) but best advice likely comes from HSU who recommended bigger Mark 2 in corner facing open wall ("consider the expanded volume of the space") and go from there.

Any updates since the end of May ?
daddyora is offline  
post #82 of 83 Old 06-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Member
 
buckeye1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 8
My luck these won't go on sale until the 4th of July week. My window of getting a new sub is the last week of June. Wife is going on vacation out the country and it's the best time to sneek a new sub in the house. Honesty she'll probably not even notice. How often do these go on sale for $399? I keep checking from time to time and nothing.
cappy24 likes this.
buckeye1966 is offline  
post #83 of 83 Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1966 View Post
My luck these won't go on sale until the 4th of July week. My window of getting a new sub is the last week of June. Wife is going on vacation out the country and it's the best time to sneek a new sub in the house. Honesty she'll probably not even notice. How often do these go on sale for $399? I keep checking from time to time and nothing.
These ? Are you referring to the Klipsch sub ?
daddyora is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off