How much damage would I have done to my new system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  • 1 Post By indebtbassfreak
  • 1 Post By dpc716
  • 1 Post By enricoclaudio
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By indebtbassfreak
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 22 Old 05-17-2019, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How much damage would I have done to my new system?

So I posted this in the AudioKarma forums as well to have those folks chime in.

So today I did the unthinkable and played an ultra low-frequency test tone from YouTube through my brand new Marantz SR-8012 receiver to my new SVS SB-16 sub and to my practically brand new pair of Energy RC-70 towers and I wasn't thinking about the ramifications of running 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 hz test tones through my system and after playing these tones for roughly about 45 seconds that my Marantz receiver tripped off (protection I believe) and then my left RC-70 tower's large drivers literally went up in smoke.

My question is:

1. Can I simply replace the 2 fried driver's in my tower speaker with identical ones from the manufacturer (assuming they even have them still) and call it a day? Would I have fried the crossovers too? The other speaker's drivers freely move with no binding so I'm assuming those drivers are okay. The fried drivers are either seized or bind very badly and they stink like no tomorrow...

2. Did I fry my brand new Marantz SR-8012 receiver? I would presume that it shut off it's power due to the protection circuit detecting either clipping or a dead short or even an open circuit. When I used a multimeter to measure the blown drivers they were "open circuit". Would this trip the protection on the receiver? I fear that a dead short in the voice coil wiring would do more damage to the receiver than it simply melting and "opening" the woofer circuit.

3. Would I have messed up my SVS SB-16 sub? Since the receiver tripped I have subsequently stopped power and signal to everything and left well alone until I fix the speaker. I literally received this sub just yesterday and was doing some deep bass tests to see how well it could handle ultra-low frequencies. In total, the sub and my sound system may have been playing these low freq test tones for less than 1 minute. Prior to this stupid accident that blew my left speaker, I was watching movies and demoing movie scenes to a friend.

Can my RC-70 driver voice coils be rewound by professionals or am I left with no option but to replace the drivers with new old stock from the manufacturer?

I don't know what I was thinking tonight but I knew that ultra-low frequencies for sustained periods of more than a few seconds can fry speakers yet somehow I did it still....

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 324
The sub and receiver have built-in protection, so you’re probably good there. You can probably simply replace the Energy drivers, but a from cursory ebay search it looks like finding replacements will be a problem if Energy no longer carries them. Can’t speak for getting them repaired - you’ll have to ask those people.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
darthray likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
As already mentioned i "think" your SR8012 (i have one myself),,, and your PB16 should likely be ok unless you were running these test tones at reference, then who knows. Not sure on your mains for repair.

What X-over setting are you using for your mains? I know they can play down to 30Hz but most will use a much higher setting 60/80Hz. This (if your bass setting is LFE, not LFE+mains, will help save your mains drivers from frying with ULF signals moving forward. Let the sub do the work down low, thats what it was designed for. Also this will reduce the strain on your avr and it will run cooler.
darthray likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 145
You can visually inspect the crossovers, see if anything looks like it got fried.

You can also run your avr with just the sub connected to check that out.
darthray likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 3595 Post(s)
Liked: 4282
Here you go!! A pair of RC-70 woofers available at eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-7-Sp...0AAOSwrmRb4cv7
jamiebosco likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #6 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
A curiosity question:

Normally, the towers are as "small" in the AVR, so that they be crossed over high enough (40-80Hz) that they wouldn't get subsonics from the receiver.

I assume that the OP didn't do that.

Is that correct?
darthray likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
A curiosity question:

Normally, the towers are as "small" in the AVR, so that they be crossed over high enough (40-80Hz) that they wouldn't get subsonics from the receiver.

Is that correct?
I suspect he left mains at "full Band" to have cooked them in under a minute
darthray likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #8 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
Quote:
A curiosity question:

Is that correct?
I'm wondering the same thing. If speakers are set to small with a 60-80hz cross, he should be ok. I'm guessing he didn't check his settings after running audyssey and the mains got defaulted to large as most Denon/Marantz do.
darthray likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Did you have your fronts set to full band and double bass set to on in the AVR settings to duplicate LFE's to your fronts and subwoofer both? Your AVR and subwoofer should be okay, i dont see the AVR getting harmed at least, it had its thermal protection circuitry activated .Your subwoofer would have its own amp as it's an active sub so maybe that's okay too, but you should check it. I would take out the AVR and subwoofer from the room they're presently in, place them in another room and turn them on, if you have an audyssey mic, hook it to the avr and see if the subwoofer is getting detected by the avr and playing the audyssey test tones.

For the burning smell you speak of coming from the front left speaker, it has to be the voice coil getting burned through overheating, that is what causes burning smell in most cases. The voice coil,magnets and the speaker cones would need replacement. If you have an Energy service center, i would send the speakers there, let them know a user error caused the drivers getting burned and you are willing to pay for driver replacement, they'll quote you the service charges. I had a friend who blew up a tweeter because of user error, the manufacturer authorized service center did not refuse to service his speaker but you have to pay for it.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-18-2019 at 01:17 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2516 Post(s)
Liked: 2264
Well, that was educational.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
A curiosity question:

Is that correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
I suspect he left mains at "full Band" to have cooked them in under a minute
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. If speakers are set to small with a 60-80hz cross, he should be ok. I'm guessing he didn't check his settings after running audyssey and the mains got defaulted to large as most Denon/Marantz do.
+1
I agree with all the above, that the OP @stevescivic.
More than likely, did not set the speakers to small.
Also 45 seconds sweep that he use, were way too long

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
You can visually inspect the crossovers, see if anything looks like it got fried.

You can also run your avr with just the sub connected to check that out.
Also a +1
While the drivers are easy to replace, I also think there could be a big possibility for the crossover on the speaker could be damage.
A much harder situation to get a perfect replacing one.
Other than Energy, willing to sell a replacement.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 05-18-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Yes the fronts were setup as LFE + Main which explains why the mains got fried

Why did I do it? For fun to see how low it could go but clearly I wasn't thinking b/c I KNEW from car audio that you can blow things up in a hurry.

That being said the sub's driver's move freely with no binding. The test tones were from YouTube video that goes from 2Hz and upwards with each tone playing for about 10 seconds each. Definitely not at reference levels. Maybe volume number 50ish on the Marantz. When I powered it back on it wasn't responding to the input selector knob or the remote so I unplugged the receiver for 30 seconds and plugged it back in and all seems to be good with the receiver. There is power output from the speaker channels as measured using a DMM set on AC mode. No DC output coming from terminals so I know that's good too.

So if the other speaker shows no signs of burnt smell then can I assume it is okay? I actually have an identical set of RC-70's in my other listening room that I can swap things out to use my HT but that means I lost my vintage receiver music room in favor of the HT room.

If woofer blows and is "open circuit" can that trip the protection on the receiver or is the protection circuit typically tripped when there is a short in the woofer? What kind of damage can be done to the receiver in a situation like mine? Clearly the receiver was putting out some serious current for it to burn the driver the way it did. On the RC-70's there are 2 6.5" drivers. It is the upper driver that got cooked bad and the lower driver, while it moves it is "scratchy".

The right channel tower shows no signs of burning or scratchiness in the drivers so presumably I think I am good on those.

I called SVS today to explain to them what happened and they said that I likely didn't do harm to the sub but they told me not to do that again.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2035 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevescivic View Post
Hello everyone,

Yes the fronts were setup as LFE + Main which explains why the mains got fried

Why did I do it? For fun to see how low it could go but clearly I wasn't thinking b/c I KNEW from car audio that you can blow things up in a hurry.

That being said the sub's driver's move freely with no binding. The test tones were from YouTube video that goes from 2Hz and upwards with each tone playing for about 10 seconds each. Definitely not at reference levels. Maybe volume number 50ish on the Marantz. When I powered it back on it wasn't responding to the input selector knob or the remote so I unplugged the receiver for 30 seconds and plugged it back in and all seems to be good with the receiver. There is power output from the speaker channels as measured using a DMM set on AC mode. No DC output coming from terminals so I know that's good too.

So if the other speaker shows no signs of burnt smell then can I assume it is okay? I actually have an identical set of RC-70's in my other listening room that I can swap things out to use my HT but that means I lost my vintage receiver music room in favor of the HT room.

If woofer blows and is "open circuit" can that trip the protection on the receiver or is the protection circuit typically tripped when there is a short in the woofer? What kind of damage can be done to the receiver in a situation like mine? Clearly the receiver was putting out some serious current for it to burn the driver the way it did. On the RC-70's there are 2 6.5" drivers. It is the upper driver that got cooked bad and the lower driver, while it moves it is "scratchy".

The right channel tower shows no signs of burning or scratchiness in the drivers so presumably I think I am good on those.

I called SVS today to explain to them what happened and they said that I likely didn't do harm to the sub but they told me not to do that again.
Both drivers are damage. And also agree with SVS, since all there subs now a day and most AVR. Have a protection system, to protect themselves.

Darth
post #14 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I definitely know both drivers in the left speaker are pooched. I've refoamed enough speakers to know that any scratchiness is a bad sign indeed.

Hopefully, all I fried were the drivers and not the crossovers too. That would REALLY suck if I destroyed those too.

For the sake of learning here.... what is the mode of failure that caused the voice coils to overheat and burn? Too much current from the receiver b/c I was trying to drive them well beyond normal operating parameters or was it due to distortion and clipping?
post #15 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yeah I definitely know both drivers in the left speaker are pooched. I've refoamed enough speakers to know that any scratchiness is a bad sign indeed.

Hopefully, all I fried were the drivers and not the crossovers too. That would REALLY suck if I destroyed those too.

For the sake of learning here.... what is the mode of failure that caused the voice coils to overheat and burn? Too much current from the receiver b/c I was trying to drive them well beyond normal operating parameters or was it due to distortion and clipping?
Having LFE+Mains engaged is sending to much ULF to your mains, only use LFE, set your mains and all other speakers to "small",,,,, set X-over to 80Hz for now. This will send all ULF to your sub to do the work it's designed to do. Your mains will not be asked to do anything below about 65Hz which will preserve the bass drivers and reduce the load on your AVR at higher volume.

Single digit test tones on a system that doesn't play below 31Hz (mains) or 16Hz (sub) is just silly and you saw the results lucky the sub and AVR are OK as those two components are thousands of $$$.

Edit

Also go into volume settings,,, change volume to "Relative",,, this will then make "0" your reference volume. Most on AVS use this so you can compare apples to apples when referencing your MV levels with others. Most dont listen below -10/-8MV for movies although some do. This will give you a decent point of volume reference.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 05-18-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:

The fact that you were playing sine waves for 45 seconds!! That's it. I'm sure distortion and clipping played a large role in that. But, you're not supposed to run sine waves for that long. And, certainly not with speakers that can't handle it. You need to change from LFE+Main to just LFE. Let the $2000 sub you have handle the bass.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #17 of 22 Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just swapped out my front speakers with another pair of RC-70s I had in my vintage listening room and have set the x-over to LFE only. No more test tones anything going forward. I just hope my marantz receiver and SVS sub hold up to the potential damage they may have experienced. I am watching private ryan right now and the explosions and system performer sound like they did before things got fried so I am hoping that my new equipment got spared and won’t suffer any long term damage.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We dont even know how you have set things up with regards to post calibration AVR trim values, sub gain, which is very important if you like to push MV, so hopefully you have some knowledge on those settings. If you have minimal knowledge i strongly recommend taking some time to read Mike's "sticky" Guide To Subwoofer Calibration And Bass Preference,,, at the top of the main page ^^.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #19 of 22 Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

hmm I can try to answer what I do know about my settings prior to things blowing up:

bass setting: LFE + Main
bass gain = 0
volume level approximately -30 db
All 7.1 channels engaged in neural:x surround mode.
Audessy 32xt calibration (what those values are I could post if one really needed to know).

svs sub volume = -20db

test tones played @ 10 seconds each back to back 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and then *POOF* on the left tower and receiver went into protection mode and shut off.

That is about all I can tell you at this point.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something is amiss here, as -30MV should not have had those results(shutting down AVR) and blowing up your speakers that quickly even running sin waves for 45 seconds which nobody should do. I was expecting you to have had your MV closer to -10/-15 for those results unless bass was heavily boosted.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #21 of 22 Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I know the answer to my question but going to ask anyways. Why even run 2-7hz test tones? Your system is no where remotely close to reproducing those tones. Another 10+kw of power and about 100 more inches of cones then maybe. But even then.

Just messing around. We’ve all been there. (The answer I already knew)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
post #22 of 22 Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Something is amiss here, as -30MV should not have had those results(shutting down AVR) and blowing up your speakers that quickly even running sin waves for 45 seconds which nobody should do. I was expecting you to have had your MV closer to -10/-15 for those results unless bass was heavily boosted.
I went back and checked my avr settings. the HDMI input gain compensation levels were boosted up to +12 because I've inherently found that HDMI audio to be on the lower than average side

I did confirm that the volume was in fact around between -28 and -30 ish. That being said, with my digital input gain set to +12 db that WOULD confirm that my net volume level is really more like -15db.

tsk tsk shame on me...

Either way, my one speaker is pooched until I get replacement drivers installed and giving the pair a good once over to look and smell for burnt components.

Last edited by stevescivic; 05-19-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page