• 1 Post By vampat

post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Splitting subwoofer Signal

Hello,

I actually have one subwoofer connected to my Arcam receiver. I will add another subwoofer soon.

I really don't want to pass another cable in my room, it would be too difficult and pain.

It is possible to connected the second subwoofer with an adapter with one male et two female connectors?

So, I would have the cable from my receiver to one female connectors in the adapter and another cable from there to the second subwoofer.

Does it will works?

another method?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Projector: JVC DLA-X770R | Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve 2.35:1 125’’ Bluray: Oppo BDP-203 | Receiver: Arcam FMJ AVR-550
Speakers: Totem Forest (front) | Model 1 Signature (center) | Rainmaker (surround) | Mini Kin Flex (Atmos) Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.0C
Light Control: Lutron Maestro | Remote: Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampat View Post
Hello,

I actually have one subwoofer connected to my Arcam receiver. I will add another subwoofer soon.

I really don't want to pass another cable in my room, it would be too difficult and pain.

It is possible to connected the second subwoofer with an adapter with one male et two female connectors?

So, I would have the cable from my receiver to one female connectors in the adapter and another cable from there to the second subwoofer.

Does it will works?

another method?

There's no issue with splitting the sub out cable to connect two subs, other than the fact the receiver's room correction will treat them as one, applying the same settings to both. In situations where you have two of the same subs the same distance, more or less, from where you're listening that's not a problem.

If you have different subs, or the distances are quite different you will often get better results using the second sub out (assuming you have one) and a second cable and letting the receiver calibrate them separately, but regardless you can try splitting as a first step.
darthray likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Hello,

Does it will works?

another method?

Is it possible, the answer is yes. And without any loss of sound quality.
That said, you might run into some issues;
-Since both subs will run from one signal, you will have to manually check the phase and volume level on each subs.

The way AVR/AVP work with true dual subs output. On the first run of calibration, it figure the distance (for the phase value of each subs) and the volume require from each one.
Than do a proper calibration as one sub for the whole room, the reason there is no .2 movies. Only .1 for one sound track.
As an example I got a 7.1.4 (two subs) system, not 7.2.4.

Darth
gbreda likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 05-19-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
-Since both subs will run from one signal, you will have to manually check the phase and volume level on each subs.

The way AVR/AVP work with true dual subs output. On the first run of calibration, it figure the distance (for the phase value of each subs) and the volume require from each one.
Agreed on all points, especially manually checking and adjusting phase and volume. My receiver (Anthem) has only a single sub out for my dual subs that are split.

Using REW and spending the time to get the most out of the subs made a big difference.
darthray likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
There's no issue with splitting the sub out cable to connect two subs, other than the fact the receiver's room correction will treat them as one, applying the same settings to both. In situations where you have two of the same subs the same distance, more or less, from where you're listening that's not a problem.

If you have different subs, or the distances are quite different you will often get better results using the second sub out (assuming you have one) and a second cable and letting the receiver calibrate them separately, but regardless you can try splitting as a first step.
Thanks!

I will add another Funk Audio 18.0C and it will be at +- the same distance.

For the cable i was thinking this model from amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000GUSQJG/...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0
darthray likes this.

Projector: JVC DLA-X770R | Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Cima Neve 2.35:1 125’’ Bluray: Oppo BDP-203 | Receiver: Arcam FMJ AVR-550
Speakers: Totem Forest (front) | Model 1 Signature (center) | Rainmaker (surround) | Mini Kin Flex (Atmos) Subwoofer: Funk Audio 18.0C
post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Than do a proper calibration as one sub for the whole room, the reason there is no .2 movies. Only .1 for one sound track.
As an example I got a 7.1.4 (two subs) system, not 7.2.4.

Darth
If i run first Dirac to calibrate my speakers, if i understand, Dirac will calibrate the two subs like just one

After, will it be ok if i set all thing exactly the same in the Funk dsp setting of each subwwofer?

My subs will be in frontstage left and right

post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I will add another Funk Audio 18.0C and it will be at +- the same distance.

For the cable i was thinking this model from amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000GUSQJG/...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0
Nice subs!!!
Just take some time to figure your phase for distance wise, and individually each subs for volume levels.
And should work wonder, and obviously with such nice subs. I am positive you will get it right
By the way, my Brother do live in "Chambly".

Enjoy!

Darth
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If i run first Dirac to calibrate my speakers, if i understand, Dirac will calibrate the two subs like just one

After, will it be ok if i set all thing exactly the same in the Funk dsp setting of each subwwofer?

My subs will be in frontstage left and right
Unfortunately, cannot help you on this one. Since I never use that system, and rely on my Audyssey XT32
And could not find any valuable links, other than this one. That may or not help;
https://www.hometheatershack.com/for...omparison.html

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 05-19-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 517
When you add a second Sub-Woofer, you are better off if room locations are NOT all "matchy-matchy"...even if you move one just a few feet more so that they don't excite the Room Modes exactly the same way...which maximizes Nulls and Boost Freqs. One example of "good" locations would be with one along front wall about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from either Side Wall and the second along side wall about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from either Front or Rear Wall.

FYI: REW (FREE Room Equalization Wizard) has a ROOM SIM tab which allows you to TRY different Sub-Woofer and Listener Location...be SURE to enter the HEIGHT of your Ears....it makes a difference. REW [plus a Calibrated Mic or SPL Meter with Output to computer/tablet] can also be used to determine your Room Frequency Response as you try different ACTUAL Locations:
https://www.roomeqwizard.com

Many (esp. older) AVR's do NOT have a sufficient number of Filters in the all-important Sub-Woofer Frequency Band [Audyssey from just a few years ago only had ONE FILTER at 63-Hz]. Also, in order to provide independent control of Room Equalization for each Sub-Woofer, you might want to insert either a Mini-DSP or a manual 2-Channel 1/3-Octave Band Equalizer in-between AVR SW-OUT Jack and each Sub-Woofer's Input Jack (using Splitter behind AVR), such as either of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-REQ231-Graphic-Equalizer-Sub-Output/dp/B01LZL8LGT [7+ Filters in Sub-Woofer Freq Range]
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box

YMMV, but A "typical" room will have a Primary BOOST Resonance at perhaps 40-60 Hz [depending on longest room dimension] with a Secondary BOOST Resonance at about Twice that Freq. So at least two filters are needed to REDUCE the "Boom-Box" Freqs, one or two filters are needed to BOOST Freqs below about 40-Hz, at least one more to BOOST Freqs in-between Primary & Secondary Freq and at least one to BOOST Freqs above the Secondary Freq....hence, a Total of 5-7 Filters are needed to properly perform Room Equalization JUST for a single Sub-Woofer. [And a second, INDEPENDENT set of Filters is needed for a second Sub-Woofer.]

A LOT more re Room Equalization Measurements, Equipment and Multiple Sub-Woofer Optimizations:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post54537820

Last edited by holl_ands; 05-30-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice subs!!!
Just take some time to figure your phase for distance wise, and individually each subs for volume levels.
And should work wonder, and obviously with such nice subs. I am positive you will get it right
By the way, my Brother do live in "Chambly".

Enjoy!

Darth
Thanks!

Maybe your brother will feel my subs when I will received my second! lol
darthray likes this.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
When you add a second Sub-Woofer, you are better off if room locations are NOT all "matchy-matchy"...even if you move one just a few feet more so that they don't excite the Room Modes exactly the same way...which maximizes Nulls and Boost Freqs. One example of "good" locations would be with one along front wall about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from either Side Wall and the second along side wall about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from either Front or Rear Wall.

FYI: REW (FREE Room Equalization Wizard) has a ROOM SIM tab which allows you to TRY different Sub-Woofer and Listener Location...be SURE to enter the HEIGHT of your Ears....it makes a difference. REW [plus a Calibrated Mic or SPL Meter with Output to computer/tablet] can also be used to determine your Room Frequency Response as you try different ACTUAL Locations:
https://www.roomeqwizard.com

Many (esp. older) AVR's do NOT have a sufficient number of Filters in the all-important Sub-Woofer Frequency Band. Also, in order to provide independent control of Room Equalization for each Sub-Woofer, you might want to insert either a Mini-DSP or a manual 2-Channel 1/3-Octave Band Equalizer in-between AVR SW-OUT Jack and each Sub-Woofer's Input Jack (using Splitter behind AVR), such as either of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-REQ231-Graphic-Equalizer-Sub-Output/dp/B01LZL8LGT [7+ Filters in Sub-Woofer Freq Range]
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box

A LOT more re Room Equalization Measurements, Equipment and Multiple Sub-Woofer Optimizations:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post54537820
Thank you, i will read those information.

But it is maybe too tehnical.. i'm not really confortable will all the settings.

Until now, I only calibrated with a Umik-1 and the Dirac live integrated in my receiver, automatic calibration....

tooked the curves propose....maybe i'm wrong

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page