One or two Monolith 12's? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 7 Post By David Charles
  • 2 Post By Liquid
  • 1 Post By doni01
  • 1 Post By slinger45
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
slinger45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 58
One or two Monolith 12's?

In my HT setup I currently have two Jamo J110 subs, one in front and other behind my seating. Just ordered a Monolith 12 and am wondering if i should be fine with the one or get another? I can afford two but that doesnt really mean I "need" two.

My room is in the basement and the HT section is sort of its own mini area but not totally closed off, see picture for a rough estimation.

Thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HT setup.pdf (256.7 KB, 32 views)

LR: LG 65C7P - LG SJ9 - D* HR54 - Apple TV 4K - Phillips 7302
Mancave: Sony XBR75X940E - Marantz SR6011 5.2.4 - Fronts - Klipsch RF82II - Center - Klipsch RC62II - Rears - Klipsch R15M - Atmos - Micca M8C - Sub - Monolith 12" (2), Sony X700 - D* C61K - Apple TV 4K
slinger45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 05-20-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
David Charles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Amherst, Ohio
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45 View Post
In my HT setup I currently have two Jamo J110 subs, one in front and other behind my seating. Just ordered a Monolith 12 and am wondering if i should be fine with the one or get another? I can afford two but that doesnt really mean I "need" two.

My room is in the basement and the HT section is sort of its own mini area but not totally closed off, see picture for a rough estimation.

Thoughts?
I didn't even read your question but the answer is two of them.
David Charles is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 AM
Newbie
 
Pitter98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45 View Post
In my HT setup I currently have two Jamo J110 subs, one in front and other behind my seating. Just ordered a Monolith 12 and am wondering if i should be fine with the one or get another? I can afford two but that doesnt really mean I "need" two.

My room is in the basement and the HT section is sort of its own mini area but not totally closed off, see picture for a rough estimation.

Thoughts?
In case you haven't seen, the Monolith 12 can be had right now for $660 (plus tax) with coupon code MN100.

rakuten.com/shop/monoprice/product/124457/

Duals for $1320!!! (If the coupon code can work twice on separate orders)
Pitter98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,852
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Code can only be used once per account. If you currently run dual Jamo subs then I think it would be hard to go back to running a single. Dual Monolith THX Ultra 12's for the win.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is online now  
post #5 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
I didn't even read your question but the answer is two of them.
Haha. Same.

2 is the correct answer.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
pbz06 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Had 2... returned them. My answer is zero

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch R5800 7.2 Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
Liquid$team is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 996
When asking questions about sub size and quantity on these forums the answer will ALWAYS be bigger and more of them!

Seriously though in most situations duals is better assuming they can be properly placed.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Had 2... returned them. My answer is zero
How's those PSA's working out for you??
doni01 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Meh. They put out some strong bass but honestly for their $1450 price tag I am not impressed. Nothing has really been as good as my old Elemental design A5-350's and those were half the price. They look fantastic!. The rectangle port and bed liner finish is great IMO. Performance is good too.... but not $2800 good. I got them used for $2k but still. I think I may be at a diminishing returns stalemate until I get REW and a mic. Honestly cant hear a difference between these and my 2 paradigm dsp 3200's and those are again half the price.

Now in defense of any and all subs I have tried .... I dont have the equipment or knowledge to "calibrate" them beyond audyssy and my own in room experience.
doni01 and Leon! like this.
Liquid$team is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Let me say they will get louder... just dont sound "better" to me.
Liquid$team is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Meh. They put out some strong bass but honestly for their $1450 price tag I am not impressed. Nothing has really been as good as my old Elemental design A5-350's and those were half the price. They look fantastic!. The rectangle port and bed liner finish is great IMO. Performance is good too.... but not $2800 good. I got them used for $2k but still. I think I may be at a diminishing returns stalemate until I get REW and a mic. Honestly cant hear a difference between these and my 2 paradigm dsp 3200's and those are again half the price.

Now in defense of any and all subs I have tried .... I dont have the equipment or knowledge to "calibrate" them beyond audyssy and my own in room experience.
Thank you. How would you rate them against the Mono 12's that you had prior??
doni01 is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
The rule is, if you find yourself asking the question whether you need more, then you need more...
m0j0 is online now  
post #13 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Thank you. How would you rate them against the Mono 12's that you had prior??
No difference in my room. If I had a massive room open or a room that is open to the rest of the house then I would go with the PSA v1811's. The 18 inch woofer can put out a ton of bass if you need it. If you have a small sealed room like I do then go with the Monolith's to save money. However I'll say this....be sure of your decision because Monoprice is quite annoying when you are trying to return large heavy items.

Side note: I am selling one of my PSA's because it's not needed in my little room. I'd rather put the money towards a new projector.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...psa-v1811.html

Last edited by Liquid$team; 05-23-2019 at 02:59 AM.
Liquid$team is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 05-23-2019, 04:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
No difference in my room. If I had a massive room open or a room that is open to the rest of the house then I would go with the PSA v1811's. The 18 inch woofer can put out a ton of bass if you need it. If you have a small sealed room like I do then go with the Monolith's to save money. However I'll say this....be sure of your decision because Monoprice is quite annoying when you are trying to return large heavy items.

Side note: I am selling one of my PSA's because it's not needed in my little room. I'd rather put the money towards a new projector.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...psa-v1811.html
Thanks bud. Already have 2 Mono 12's but always wondered how the V1811's would compare against them. I will ask around and get back to you on the one you have for sale since I am in CT as well.

OP, sorry for derailing the thread but I would go for two subs instead of one. Whatever those subs might be.
slinger45 likes this.
doni01 is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
slinger45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Ended up buying two, very happy
BillZ likes this.

LR: LG 65C7P - LG SJ9 - D* HR54 - Apple TV 4K - Phillips 7302
Mancave: Sony XBR75X940E - Marantz SR6011 5.2.4 - Fronts - Klipsch RF82II - Center - Klipsch RC62II - Rears - Klipsch R15M - Atmos - Micca M8C - Sub - Monolith 12" (2), Sony X700 - D* C61K - Apple TV 4K
slinger45 is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Member
 
BillZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger45 View Post
Ended up buying two, very happy
Looking to do the same ASAP.. Hoping for a sale and just so annoyed that I just missed a good sale. I am hoping there will be a Fathers Day sale and that I don't have to wait 2 weeks for that to happen.

My nephew has HDADD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does, it's unbelievably clear!

Steven Wright
BillZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off