Sub-woofer suggestions to replace Paradigm Sub 1
In my dedicated room I currently run two Paradigm Sub 1's, one at the front and one at the rear of the room. I love them as they deliver very tight and articulate bass, and appear to perform very well in my room.
My room is only small at around 18ft x 11ft x 8ft high, so I get significant output from these two subs - they measure flat down to around 10Hz in room, and hit reference at around 1/3rd setting on their gain dials (and still require around -15dB cut in my Trinnov SSP to hit target SPL).
Sadly however one of the Sub 1's has developed a fault and is currently not working. Whilst I am hoping I can get it fixed, I want to hedge my bets by considering what other sub options are available, as the Sub 1's are no longer made.
In terms of my requirements:
- I don't want a foot-print significantly larger than the Sub 1 (approx 20" cubed), and certainly no taller (so that rules out the dual vertical driver units).
- I'm also clearly not in need of significant additional output as such, given how I have to set the Sub 1's currently to control their output.
- However I do want extension to 10Hz (not too bothered about output below that), and most importantly of all I would want to achieve the same fast and articulate bass reproduction.
- I only really want to consider sealed subs.
- I don't really want to go beyond two subs, as I don't need the output, and the two current subs in their current positions given very even combined in-room response at the MLP. However, if absolutely necessary I have room to accommodate two additional subs (four total) at opposing room positions to the existing two.
As far as I can tell from this forum section (and I am not particularly knowledgeable on sub-woofers in all honesty), favourite brands appear to be Seaton, JTR, Rythmik and Deep Sea Sound. Looking at the models they offer, and the sizes available, narrows it down, I think, to the following:
Seaton: SubMersive HP+
JTR: Captivator S1
Rythmik: F18 or G25HP
Deep Sea Sound: Mariana 18S
I'd be grateful for people thoughts and feedback on these models, how they might compare, and which might get me closest (or even exceed) the performance of the Sub 1 it could replace in terms of that critical subjective speed and articulation.