• 1 Post By mthomas47

post #1 of 17 Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 5
PB1000 to PB3000

Hey guys,

Just picked up a PB3000 from friend for a little under 1k. Obviously I know that is a good deal and I couldn't pass it up, just wondering if anyone around here has made the same or similar jump and how they felt about it afterwards. I've always felt slightly underwhelmed by the PB1000 since I purchased it, and I am hoping the 3000 will have that extra I have been looking for.

The room dimensions are roughly 15x20x10, with one of the long side walls opening into the kitchen/dining room area. It is Semi-open floor plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeparisoe View Post
Hey guys,

Just picked up a PB3000 from friend for a little under 1k. Obviously I know that is a good deal and I couldn't pass it up, just wondering if anyone around here has made the same or similar jump and how they felt about it afterwards. I've always felt slightly underwhelmed by the PB1000 since I purchased it, and I am hoping the 3000 will have that extra I have been looking for.

The room dimensions are roughly 15x20x10, with one of the long side walls opening into the kitchen/dining room area. It is Semi-open floor plan.
The PB-1000 was insufficient for that space. The PB-3000 will be a significant step up in all aspects and more appropriate for that space. Post back how you like it.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #3 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Question to anyone willing to answer. Is there any reason to hang on to my PB-1000 for anything? I assume it would not be beneficial to use it dual with the PB-3000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 2470
Quote:
Question to anyone willing to answer. Is there any reason to hang on to my PB-1000 for anything? I assume it would not be beneficial to use it dual with the PB-3000.

Your room is 3000 ft^3, which is considered a large room for subs. That's really too much real estate to expect a single PB-1000 to flourish. The PB-1000 would be right at home in a room maybe half that size. The PB-3000 replaced the PB12-Plus, so it should be much more capable in a large room. I don't like that they went to 2 ports instead of the three that that the PB12-Plus had, but it was probably part of a cost cutting move. You no longer have the ability to choose from running it in max extension or max output in ported modes, just ported or sealed.

You can use the PB-1000 near-field with the PB-3000. Many people have done this and since the PB-1000 has a similar flat response to the PB-3000, it should be doable. It's free to try and see how you like it. You can always relocate it to a different room, preferably smaller, where it will perform it's best. The PB-1000 is a good performing sub, just not for bigger rooms.
d-rail34 likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2), THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
post #5 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeparisoe
... Just picked up a PB3000 from friend ... I've always felt slightly underwhelmed by the PB1000 since I purchased it, and I am hoping the 3000 will have that extra I have been looking for. ...
PB-1000
- 10" driver
- 300W (RMS/continuous) amp
- 19-270Hz +/-3dB

PB-3000
- 13" driver
- 800W (RMS/continuous) amp
- 16-260Hz +/-3dB (standard mode) / 18-260Hz +/-3dB (sealed mode)

The 3000 should easily and substantially outperform the 1000.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-28-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Your room is 3000 ft^3, which is considered a large room for subs. That's really too much real estate to expect a single PB-1000 to flourish. The PB-1000 would be right at home in a room maybe half that size. The PB-3000 replaced the PB12-Plus, so it should be much more capable in a large room. I don't like that they went to 2 ports instead of the three that that the PB12-Plus had, but it was probably part of a cost cutting move. You no longer have the ability to choose from running it in max extension or max output in ported modes, just ported or sealed.

You can use the PB-1000 near-field with the PB-3000. Many people have done this and since the PB-1000 has a similar flat response to the PB-3000, it should be doable. It's free to try and see how you like it. You can always relocate it to a different room, preferably smaller, where it will perform it's best. The PB-1000 is a good performing sub, just not for bigger rooms.
Plus 1.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just got the PB-3000 in. Whoa! Awesome product and a very distinct upgrade from the 1000. It most definitely fills in my room much better and it now shakes everything. It shakes things during scenes that my 1000 never shook anything, so I am hearing and feeling a noticeable difference in every movie I have tried.
eljaycanuck and d-rail34 like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,

How hot are most of you running your subs? When first calibrated my Pb3k I followed the quick instructions from the box that said to turn the gain to -10. Well this showed in the Audessy calibration that the sub was putting out around 90-93 db(obviously way over 75 that it wants), but I just left it there and calibrated anyway. After calibration the sub trim was at -12db, which I guess makes sense.

Running with those settings just felt like way too much at all times, so I contacted SVS chat and they told me to re-calibrate with the sub putting out 80-82 Db, which I then did. After doing that it sounds great, but it just does not feel like it has as much impact as I was hoping(maybe i haven't turned it up enough yet, haven't had a lot of time to play with it since.)

Really my question is just what levels you all are running at to make it feel right for you?
post #9 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 338 Post(s)
Quoted: 5457 Post(s)
Liked: 10367
Quote:
Hey guys,

How hot are most of you running your subs? When first calibrated my Pb3k I followed the quick instructions from the box that said to turn the gain to -10. Well this showed in the Audessy calibration that the sub was putting out around 90-93 db(obviously way over 75 that it wants), but I just left it there and calibrated anyway. After calibration the sub trim was at -12db, which I guess makes sense.

Running with those settings just felt like way too much at all times, so I contacted SVS chat and they told me to re-calibrate with the sub putting out 80-82 Db, which I then did. After doing that it sounds great, but it just does not feel like it has as much impact as I was hoping(maybe i haven't turned it up enough yet, haven't had a lot of time to play with it since.)

Really my question is just what levels you all are running at to make it feel right for you?

Hi,

This really isn't a question where anyone else can give you direct answers. Even if someone else had the same model subwoofer, in the same size room, the subwoofer location and its interaction with the room would probably be different. And, so would the other person's listening habits, master volume levels (that also determines subwoofer demand) and bass listening preferences. I'm sure you are right that you just haven't turned the subwoofer up enough since you recalibrated with it at a lower gain setting.

It would probably be helpful for you to at least read the Cliff Notes at the beginning of the Guide in my signature. Much more detail on setting subwoofer volumes follows in Section II. The shortest possible version of the story is to turn-up the volume on your subwoofer until you are happy with the amount of bass you hear. Don't be surprised, though, if you like more bass for some listening material than you do for other material. You can turn the volume of your sub either up or down by using the remote control on your AVR, or the app on your cell phone.

The Guide will explain the best ways to use the subwoofer's own gain control and the AVR trim control. How you balance those two can be a little bit helpful to understand, but how much bass you add for any given content, on any given day, is going to be an entirely personal decision. FWIW, I believe that most people who employ Audyssey's DEQ probably boost their sub(s) by about 3db to 6db after the Audyssey calibration. Again, though, sub boosts will vary both by individual, and by content for individuals.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
d-rail34 likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Hey guys,

What trim level did you get after re-calibrating to 80-82dB?

My Website; convert audio files or extract the audio from a video - https://freeaudioconverter.net
post #11 of 17 Old 05-31-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 View Post
What trim level did you get after re-calibrating to 80-82dB?
-7.5dB
post #12 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
-7.5dB
Increase the trim to -5dB (from what I've read the best practice is to not exceed a trim of -5). If that isn't enough, increase the gain on the sub. There's nothing wrong with increasing the gain on the subwoofer after calibration. In fact, according to a user on the audioholics forum, Ed Mullen from SVS said "their amps work best when the gain is set high." If this is true that's pretty interesting.

My Website; convert audio files or extract the audio from a video - https://freeaudioconverter.net

Last edited by Ferrari_1996; 06-01-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Increase the trim to -5dB (from what I've read the best practice is to not exceed a trim of -5). If that isn't enough, increase the gain on the sub. There's nothing wrong with increasing the gain on the subwoofer after calibration. In fact, according to a user on the audioholics forum, Ed Mullen from SVS said "their amps work best when the gain is set high." If this is true that's pretty interesting.
I put it to -6.0dB and turned the gain up from -21 to -18. I think it is the sweet spot for me. It isn't overpowering the mains, but it still comes in with authority when it is supposed to.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I put it to -6.0dB and turned the gain up from -21 to -18. I think it is the sweet spot for me. It isn't overpowering the mains, but it still comes in with authority when it is supposed to.
Awesome. And the nice thing is that you can easily adjust the gain via the app for certain content if necessary. I cannot do that with my PB-1000 haha.

post #15 of 17 Old 06-01-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome. And the nice thing is that you can easily adjust the gain via the app for certain content if necessary. I cannot do that with my PB-1000 haha.
Oh I had no idea how much I would enjoy having the app. It seemed kind of gimmicky at first, but I am so happy I can change the gain(and so much more) easily from the app at any time.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I hope to be picking one of the PB-3000 sub's so I'll be sure to follow this advice given also.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcus58 View Post
I hope to be picking one of the PB-3000 sub's so I'll be sure to follow this advice given also.
I just picked up two! Upgraded from two pb1000s. The app is nice... wish you could group the subs together and move the gain for both at the same time.

I started with Audyssey xt32 and set the subs to ~75-77db before calibration. That was around -21-20 on the sub gain. After calibration it set the subs at -6.5 and -7.0... that was fine. I did juice the gain on the subs after this to -17 on each.

Also - some had mentioned that the gain needs to be high for the subs... that was only true for some of the older SVS subs. The newer subs are fine with the gain set lower, they can use the full amplifier power even at lower gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page