HSU amp replacement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By melvin long
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HSU amp replacement

Picking up a free dead HSU VTF 3 MK2 tomorrow. I'm assuming it's just a dead amplifier but won't know til I get it in hand. My understanding is the Dayton SPA250 is a near drop-in replacement (with some extra wood to mount it?) and then I'll have a great extra sub. Has anyone done this already - any pointers on the wiring?

The real questions are:

- would this pair up nicely with my Paradigm Servo 15 v1, DefTech STL w built in subs and Anthem MRX700 amp assuming I can get phase/volume lined up ok.
- alternatives to the spa250 amp? I have an old NAD amp that could be connected directly to the driver via an old x30 active crossover (would that even be needed if using the Anthem crossover?) - crazy talk? I'm way undereducated on what makes a good subwoofer plate amp vs a standard stereo integrated amp - the old NAD is only about 40 wpc if memory serves.
- mounting the subs into a riser for rear theater seats - If I laid the HSU on it's side, and built a box around it and the Servo to put seats on, would there be anything to consider in the design to optimize output or just rely on ARC once level/phase checked?

Thanks all!
melvin long is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin long View Post
Picking up a free dead HSU VTF 3 MK2 tomorrow. I'm assuming it's just a dead amplifier but won't know til I get it in hand. My understanding is the Dayton SPA250 is a near drop-in replacement (with some extra wood to mount it?) and then I'll have a great extra sub. Has anyone done this already - any pointers on the wiring?
Why not just call HSU and see what the proper replacement amp costs?
deano86 is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Why not just call HSU and see what the proper replacement amp costs?
I'll definitely do that but initial research has people getting the v4 model amp at about twice the price of the Dayton and the sub loses oomph (subjectively).
melvin long is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deano86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,392
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin long View Post
I'll definitely do that but initial research has people getting the v4 model amp at about twice the price of the Dayton and the sub loses oomph (subjectively).
Subjectively indeed... I am sure...I would call HSU just for the heck of it and see what they recommend for your fix 'r upper project and then see if your Dayton option will be the way to go....
deano86 is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Update - pulled apart the sub finally. Definitely the amp is toast. Luckily, hooking up another amp, driver performs beautifully! Talked with HSU, they can either repair the amp or can send a mk4 to replace, latter a bit more expensive. I'm up in Canada so a bit of a pain to ship/pickup/customs paperwork (I assume no duties as it's a repair). The Dayton SPA-250 I can get in Canada for about the same as from US with exchange/gas to pickup across border. Am likely going with the Dayton based on reviews and ease of purchase. I did however see an inuke 6000 come up on craigslist for about 400 Cdn (about 150 more than the Dayton). Would that be way overkill for the HSU or would it possibly eek out more performance? Would definitely allow me to make a giant sub out of my second row riser - thinking about 3ftx8ftx15inches - would a huge box like that work well with the 12" hsu driver or is it just begging for an 18" or 2?
melvin long is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-07-2019, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin long View Post
Update - pulled apart the sub finally. Definitely the amp is toast. Luckily, hooking up another amp, driver performs beautifully! Talked with HSU, they can either repair the amp or can send a mk4 to replace, latter a bit more expensive. I'm up in Canada so a bit of a pain to ship/pickup/customs paperwork (I assume no duties as it's a repair). The Dayton SPA-250 I can get in Canada for about the same as from US with exchange/gas to pickup across border. Am likely going with the Dayton based on reviews and ease of purchase. I did however see an inuke 6000 come up on craigslist for about 400 Cdn (about 150 more than the Dayton). Would that be way overkill for the HSU or would it possibly eek out more performance? Would definitely allow me to make a giant sub out of my second row riser - thinking about 3ftx8ftx15inches - would a huge box like that work well with the 12" hsu driver or is it just begging for an 18" or 2?
How about this one? https://www.parts-express.com/hsu-re...fier--299-4036
Zarkoff500 is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkoff500 View Post
Whoa - thanks! Did not see that searching for plate amps on parts express. Wonder if these are refurbs? Doesn't say which version it is mk 3 up is 350 watts so guessing an actual mk 2? Regardless, biting the bullet on it and will try it out and report back.
smithsabom likes this.
melvin long is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin long View Post
Whoa - thanks! Did not see that searching for plate amps on parts express. Wonder if these are refurbs? Doesn't say which version it is mk 3 up is 350 watts so guessing an actual mk 2? Regardless, biting the bullet on it and will try it out and report back.
Hope it works out. I purchased one of these https://www.parts-express.com/hsu-re...ofer--299-4020 and I am very impressed with the performance in a 3.5 cft cab at 20 hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190623_204052.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	2588724  
Zarkoff500 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off