• 2 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
  • 3 Post By B3ntwooki3

post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
HSU experience

First of all, I believe in capitalism and free market, and that a "transaction" must be agreed upon by both
seller and buyer.

Second, Let me say I have nothing against HSU, and respect their decision for cancelling my order.
I am not angry by any means, I'm just left scratching my head.

Anyway, I bought a VTF2 MK5 last month. The front corners had some imperfections, but it was ok with me.
There is a part on the dust cover that has no glue and there is a visible wide gap between the dust cover and cone.
So I emailed them about the gap, and while I was there, I also mentioned the imperfections I noticed on the
front corners. They replied saying that it should be properly glued. They offered to send me either a replacement
driver and $30 if I kept the sub, or a return/refund, they also warned me that there might still be some
imperfections on the corners if they sent me a new sub. I asked for a replacement anyway as I don't have time to
tinker and I am not inclined to repair a brand new sub.

We normally see glue around the dustcap, but on this second VTF2 (replacement), I see glue around 3-6 o'clock only.
I tried to gently push on the cone next to dust cap, I can see separation which means, there is no glue.
Vinyl wrapping is also peeling off next to the sub frame around 3'oclock position. Contacted them again, they
sent me a prepaid label and got a refund.

After about week, I ordered a VTF3 MK5, the following day, I cancelled the order because I couldn't
decide whether a single VTF3 would be better, or another (this time a pair of) VTF2... But I re-ordered the VTF3
again, after a day, I got an email saying they "may not be able to meet my standards in finish". I rang them up
and spoke to a very nice lady who confirmed they will cancel my order.

Again, I have nothing against Hsu and I respect their decision, but then they could have handled it better IMHO.

pics

1st sub

2nd sub, pics and video

bye bye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2548 Post(s)
Liked: 2393
It's a shame that HSU decided to go the cheap route with the VTF-2 mk5 cabinet finish. The cheap vinyl is quite a step down from their satin finish that the mk4 had. It would have been nice of they offered it in both finishes, with a slight up-charge for the satin, which is also the standard finish on the VTF-3.5 and VTF-15H.2.

HSU's quality control isn't the best of the ID brands, that's for sure. There have been several complaints just on this forum of cosmetic or performance issues with brand new HSU subs. Apparently, whoever is in charge of this over in China doesn't have anybody to spell them when they go on lunch break or hit the can, so the line just keeps on a movin'. Seriously though, My VTF-15H mk2 had some unusually bad port noise, or so I thought, when I was setting it up over the course of a few weeks. I contacted HSU and to make a long story short, it was actually noise from air coming around the driver itself, not sealed in properly. They did send me a pre-paid return label and sent me out a new one, which I have now and it has no issues. I've read other people on here with poorly attached ports that some have even used silicone to seal up the leaks around the port, something I would never dream of being required to do on an brand new sub. One guy even had a second dust cap hanging from the one attached to the center of the cone. Not sure how anybody could have missed that before boxing it up, but there are always people who really don't care about how well they do their job.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...em-w-cone.html
Aqua Man and jamiebosco like this.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 530/520c, 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Pioneer FS52/BS22A/C22. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith AM Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Infinity R152. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31.RBH EP1. Logitech GPro HS. Plantronics RIG 500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,PK5,PH4. UE Boom3.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 05-26-2019 at 07:02 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Wow. I purchased my first HSU product late last year. Thankfully I didnt have any of these issues but it does certainly make me pause and reconsider purchasing from them again or recommending them especially when you have so much competition in this space.

While I love my VTF2.5 there are many great alternatives from people like Rythmik, Monoprice (Monolith), and the king of customer service, (though you pay for it) SVS.
drh3b, Aqua Man and doni01 like this.

Last edited by B3ntwooki3; 05-26-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-27-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2659 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Something has to give when getting the performance of more to much more expensive competitor's products. This is why value is a moving target. It's different for everyone.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
hsu , subwoofer , vtf2-mk5 , VTF3-MK5

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page