If my receiver has Room Correction does a sub with built in correction add value? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
  • 1 Post By Soulburner
  • 3 Post By mthomas47
  • 1 Post By Soulburner
  • 2 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By Soulburner
  • 3 Post By mthomas47
  • 1 Post By basshead81
  • 4 Post By basshead81
  • 1 Post By sk373
  • 3 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By sk373
  • 1 Post By sb01gt
  • 1 Post By Soulburner

post #1 of 26 Old 05-26-2019, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If my receiver has Room Correction does a sub with built in correction add value?

I’m trying to decide between 3 subs:

SVS SB-3000
Monolith 12” Sealed
HSU ULS-15

I like the Rosenut finish of the HSU, the price/performance of the Monolith, and the App of the SVS. But I don’t know if the App EQ is really that useful if my Receiver already has DIRAC?

My room is 17x14x8, but no door that closes, it goes out to the hallway. I am planning on running 2 subs.

My primary speakers are REVEL F228s, and my Receiver is the Lexicon RV-9. The room is 50/50 movies and music, that’s why I am going with Sealed subs.

I am open to other subs if I missed something competitive and special against the ones above.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-26-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
I say skip the SVS and choose between HSU, Rythmik, PSA, or maybe the Monolith.

IMO only the Rythmik and HSU will offer top musical performance with your Revels, though the others aren't bad.
rjmcinnis likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #3 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10024
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmcinnis View Post
I’m trying to decide between 3 subs:

SVS SB-3000
Monolith 12” Sealed
HSU ULS-15

I like the Rosenut finish of the HSU, the price/performance of the Monolith, and the App of the SVS. But I don’t know if the App EQ is really that useful if my Receiver already has DIRAC?

My room is 17x14x8, but no door that closes, it goes out to the hallway. I am planning on running 2 subs.

My primary speakers are REVEL F228s, and my Receiver is the Lexicon RV-9. The room is 50/50 movies and music, that’s why I am going with Sealed subs.

I am open to other subs if I missed something competitive and special against the ones above.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I think that your question is more complicated than it sounds. First, yes, the ability to fine-tune your frequency response, post-calibration can be an asset. You don't need the SVS app to do that, though. You just need to have some user-programmable DSP built-in to the subs.

Second, if I were you, for 50/50 movies and music, I would probably consider ported models rather than sealed models. Good ported subs can offer sound quality that is comparable to sealed subs, for most listeners, while also offering much more low-bass SPL and TR (tactile response) for movies. At 1900^3, your room is not exceptionally large, and the opening to the hallway won't be a major factor, but ported subs will be more versatile, in my opinion, depending on how much bass you are looking for.

I would consider the Monolith 15, or the PB3000, or the Rythmik FV15HP, if I were in your position. The PB3000 and the Monolith 15 offer both ported and sealed tuning options, so you could compare the ported to sealed modes to see whether you can hear a difference. (The biggest difference would be with movies, where the low-bass special effects would be much more dramatic with ported subs.) The FV15HP has two different port tunes, and no sealed mode, but the Rythmik ported subs are known for sounding much more like sealed subs than most ported subs do.

The sound qualities of all three of those subs will be slightly different, depending somewhat on your own listening sensitivity at bass frequencies. All three subs would be superior to the HSU subs, in my opinion. HSU offers some of the best values on the market, at their particular price points, but the subs I am recommending for you are not at that price point. They are better quality subs and will offer you more of everything than the HSU subs will.

All three of the subs I am recommending have received excellent reviews and have plenty of satisfied owners, so, it is just a matter of trying something to decide what you like. As you may know, SVS offers 45-day trial periods with free return shipping, so if you just want to try something at no risk, the PB3000 might be an easy way to try a ported sub in your room. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I think that your question is more complicated than it sounds. First, yes, the ability to fine-tune your frequency response, post-calibration can be an asset. You don't need the SVS app to do that, though. You just need to have some user-programmable DSP built-in to the subs.

Second, if I were you, for 50/50 movies and music, I would probably consider ported models rather than sealed models. Good ported subs can offer sound quality that is comparable to sealed subs, for most listeners, while also offering much more low-bass SPL and TR (tactile response) for movies. At 1900^3, your room is not exceptionally large, and the opening to the hallway won't be a major factor, but ported subs will be more versatile, in my opinion, depending on how much bass you are looking for.

I would consider the Monolith 15, or the PB3000, or the Rythmik FV15HP, if I were in your position. The PB3000 and the Monolith 15 offer both ported and sealed tuning options, so you could compare the ported to sealed modes to see whether you can hear a difference. (The biggest difference would be with movies, where the low-bass special effects would be much more dramatic with ported subs.) The FV15HP has two different port tunes, and no sealed mode, but the Rythmik ported subs are known for sounding much more like sealed subs than most ported subs do.

The sound qualities of all three of those subs will be slightly different, depending somewhat on your own listening sensitivity at bass frequencies. All three subs would be superior to the HSU subs, in my opinion. HSU offers some of the best values on the market, at their particular price points, but the subs I am recommending for you are not at that price point. They are better quality subs and will offer you more of everything than the HSU subs will.

All three of the subs I am recommending have received excellent reviews and have plenty of satisfied owners, so, it is just a matter of trying something to decide what you like. As you may know, SVS offers 45-day trial periods with free return shipping, so if you just want to try something at no risk, the PB3000 might be an easy way to try a ported sub in your room. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
@mthomas47 Thanks for the detailed reply. My first reaction is 2 15” ported subs in such a small room seems like overkill? My second reaction is all the ported subs are so darn big!

Third of course is my concern that Ported isn’t going to sound “tight” enough with music? Perhaps I’m just prejudiced against ported subs of years ago? We have almost no dealers in my area to go test at, which makes it challenging. The two High End dealers use smaller subs. The only place with any bigger subs is Best Buy, but they are lofi brands.

Perhaps if I say I’m not looking to shake the room, just fill out the bottom octaves with solid authorit, will the sealed subs above work? Or am I still going to be disappointed?

Would stepping up to the SB-4000 get me there? Or is the issue just Sealed in general?
post #5 of 26 Old 05-27-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Internet Direct subwoofer companies are really where it's at right now. Nothing at Best Buy will compete. Unfortunately this means auditioning is very hard. However, auditioning a sub in a space that isn't yours isn't going to sound the same, anyway.

I think you are fine going with sealed, just don't skimp if you want authority.
rjmcinnis likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #6 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked: 3888
I'd throw in a strong recommendation for a pair of PSA S1510. IMO this sub will outperform the other contenders and, if your willing to pay a little more, can also be ordered in premium wood veneer finishes. The prior version of this sub performed comparably/better than the SB13 Ultra. Although I like Hsu's ULS15, my main issue with it is a fairly sharp roll off below 20 Hz.

I also agree that for music, there is no real world audible benefit to sealed over ported. The advantage is only smaller and cheaper, which in your case might be just the ticket. many real world get togethers in which listeners are unable to determine which (top quality)subs are sealed and ported in blind listening. Not saying all subs sound the same, but there is no inherent "speed" or "tightness" or "crispiness" advantage of sealed over ported(with port tunes below 20 Hz). Yes, you can find A LOT of sighted(biased) subjective reviews that claim how superior sealed is over ported, but when the curtain is drawn(removing bias), peoples magical ability to hear the sound quality of sealed disappears and they are just as likely to pick a ported or horn alignment as the best sound quality for music.
rjmcinnis and darthray like this.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I want to agree, but there are quite a few people in the Rythmik thread that have tried both ported and sealed models and they say they sound different. And not just different because of SPL differences. I haven't had both to compare, but that would be telling.
rjmcinnis likes this.

post #8 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10024
Quote:
@mthomas47 Thanks for the detailed reply. My first reaction is 2 15” ported subs in such a small room seems like overkill? My second reaction is all the ported subs are so darn big!

Third of course is my concern that Ported isn’t going to sound “tight” enough with music? Perhaps I’m just prejudiced against ported subs of years ago? We have almost no dealers in my area to go test at, which makes it challenging. The two High End dealers use smaller subs. The only place with any bigger subs is Best Buy, but they are lofi brands.

Perhaps if I say I’m not looking to shake the room, just fill out the bottom octaves with solid authorit, will the sealed subs above work? Or am I still going to be disappointed?

Would stepping up to the SB-4000 get me there? Or is the issue just Sealed in general?

You are very welcome! Whether or not two good sealed subs would be enough for movies (they certainly would for music) depends a lot on you, and on your personal low-bass preferences. Just be aware that bass preferences can increase over time, as we are exposed to lower bass sounds and tactile sensations in our own home theaters.

Ported subwoofers have very different low-frequency capabilities and characteristics that make them an especially good fit for movies. Some people on AVS get all they want in smaller rooms with sealed subs, but it can take a lot of subwoofage to get there sometimes, and they often find themselves augmenting the sealed subs with tactile transducers to increase the low-bass sensations. Whichever subs you buy, I would definitely stay with ID subs, if I were you. You will get more for your money.

There is a good description of the differences between sealed and ported subs here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...nces.html#VIII

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 8838
I have a room that is a tad larger 20x15x8 with a opening to the hallway and I run 3 ported 15's. I don't think dual 15" sealed would be enough on the low end if you listen to action oriented films at spirited levels...especially if running the bass a little hot. I would say for sealed you will want a pair of 18's or dual opposed 15's like the PSA S3010. So in that case it would be more economical to go ported. A pair of Rythmik FV15HP with revised 4" ports would do well here. If on a tighter budget then you could go FVX15 or even the HSU VTF3.5.
rjmcinnis likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I have a room that is a tad larger 20x15x8 with a opening to the hallway and I run 3 ported 15's. I don't think dual 15" sealed would be enough on the low end if you listen to action oriented films at spirited levels...especially if running the bass a little hot. I would say for sealed you will want a pair of 18's or dual opposed 15's like the PSA S3010. So in that case it would be more economical to go ported. A pair of Rythmik FV15HP with revised 4" ports would do well here. If on a tighter budget then you could go FVX15 or even the HSU VTF3.5.
@basshead81 With a username like yours, I think maybe we might be after different things? I am not trying to beat my chest into submission with bass, in fact I don't like that at concerts since I have a heart condition, and ever since that started, that much bass kind of freaks me out a bit. It makes me feel like it's changing my heart rhythm.

I just want deep, solid bass. Enough to enhance movies and music without overpowering it, or pissing my neighbors off when I watch/listen at night. I am NOT trying to shake everything loose.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 8838
I don't listen that loud to be honest(110-115db peaks at most on occasion). I have 3 subs for smoother bass response that requires very little EQ to get a flat FR. I did build my system with the mind set that I wanted clean reference playback capability down to Port tune (16-18hz). So while 3 15" subs might sound overwhelming in that size room it's really not and the sound is balanced. Also gives you a little room to grow if need be.

Rythmik subs are known for there tight clean bass. I still think even in your case, a pair of ported 15's would be a good choice. At minimum the Monolith 12's.

Keep in mind low frequencies require more output to sound as loud as higher frequencies.

I think Bear recommendation of S1510's is a decent idea, but that price point gets you into a FVX15's range that will have more bottom end. If you were 2 channel music system I would say sealed all day, but 50% movies I would lean towards ported for the extra output down low.
Alan P, sk373, rjmcinnis and 1 others like this.
post #12 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 976
What is your max budget? If you want to stay sealed, I would look at dual PSA S1811’s or S3010’s at a minimum. Or dual Rythmik F18’s.

FWIW, I have a room that is just slightly bigger than yours, that also does not have a door than can shut the room completely. I run dual PSA S1801’s, and they are plenty for me. I used to run dual PSA XS15se’s (sealed 15”s), and they weren’t quite enough IMHO. YMMV,of course.
rjmcinnis likes this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #13 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I'd throw in a strong recommendation for a pair of PSA S1510. IMO this sub will outperform the other contenders and, if your willing to pay a little more, can also be ordered in premium wood veneer finishes. The prior version of this sub performed comparably/better than the SB13 Ultra. Although I like Hsu's ULS15, my main issue with it is a fairly sharp roll off below 20 Hz.

I also agree that for music, there is no real world audible benefit to sealed over ported. The advantage is only smaller and cheaper, which in your case might be just the ticket. many real world get togethers in which listeners are unable to determine which (top quality)subs are sealed and ported in blind listening. Not saying all subs sound the same, but there is no inherent "speed" or "tightness" or "crispiness" advantage of sealed over ported(with port tunes below 20 Hz). Yes, you can find A LOT of sighted(biased) subjective reviews that claim how superior sealed is over ported, but when the curtain is drawn(removing bias), peoples magical ability to hear the sound quality of sealed disappears and they are just as likely to pick a ported or horn alignment as the best sound quality for music.
@bear123 I’m not really familiar with PSA, but I see they are highly rated here. But when I look at their website, they look really “DIY” aesthetically. Maybe I’m just not finding good pics, but the veneers don’t look that good.

What is below 20hz? Am I correct that that will be the part that I “feel” in my chest but don’t really hear? If so, I’d be ok with that actually.

Going further with the “looks”, the HSU uses magnets to hold the grill, unlike nearly everything else I see. I like the idea of the ULS grill’less in Rosenut. It wouldn’t be a match next to my walnut F228s, but it seems like it would look better than the PSA’s?
post #14 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I’ve noticed as I look at some of these suggest Ported subs, several of them are quite tall, and would be just below the projection screen. I can’t help but think that would be distracting? I guess in that case, perhaps basic black is better than a nice wood veneer? But I have to admit to wanting my subs to be visually pleasing. The only one I was willing to ignore that for was the Monolith, since the price/performance is so high. But as these other suggestions climb in price, it’s hard to ignore the finish.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
What is your max budget? If you want to stay sealed, I would look at dual PSA S1811’s or S3010’s at a minimum. Or dual Rythmik F18’s.

FWIW, I have a room that is just slightly bigger than yours, that also does not have a door than can shut the room completely. I run dual PSA S1801’s, and they are plenty for me. I used to run dual PSA XS15se’s (sealed 15”s), and they weren’t quite enough IMHO. YMMV,of course.
@sk373 I haven’t really set a budget, but I suppose if I was going to set a max, I’d say $4k a pair? At that price they would need to look sensational like my LCR do. I would much prefer to stay below $2.5k a pair and take advantage of the ID sub value.

Everyone keeps recommending larger and larger subs. In my living room, I have a 7.1.2 setup using just a single 10” sealed sub. It’s in a room that must be at least 22x22, that also opens to a hallway/stair, the kitchen, and the den. It sounds fine for casual TV. Of course no significant impact, but I can’t help but feel that most here must want MUCH more bass than I need?

My initial post was trying to find a nice pair of sealed subs to match my F228s—-50/50 music/movies, but perhaps I should have said I will compromise more on the HT side than the music side. In fact I initially didn’t plan to use subs at all for music, but everything I read says subs will significantly improve my music listening enjoyment. That, plus size, was why I initially only looked at sealed subs.

I guess in my mind I just can’t really picture “needing” 2 ported 15”/18” subs in such a small room, and not being happy with 2 12” sealed subs. Honestly I initially had trouble wrapping my head around the HSU-15s, but I liked the veneer finish, and they seem pretty compact overall for their capabilities, plus the only ones I really saw with magnetic grills.

Hopefully my rambling makes sense.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked: 3888
The standard black finish on PSA is, imo, much nicer in person than you would expect. It is extremely high quality and very durable, not a vinyl wrap as some use. Their veneer finishes are also extremely high quality furniture grade...maybe the pictures just aren't doing them justice.

If keeping size down is somewhat of a priority sealed subs make sense. I recommended PSA in your situation as they provide performance at or above the other options, come with warranty and customer service that cannot be beaten, and are made in the USA. These things may or may not matter to all but for some are a very important distinction.
rjmcinnis, sk373 and zeuspaul like this.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
@sk373 I haven’t really set a budget, but I suppose if I was going to set a max, I’d say $4k a pair? At that price they would need to look sensational like my LCR do. I would much prefer to stay below $2.5k a pair and take advantage of the ID sub value.

Everyone keeps recommending larger and larger subs. In my living room, I have a 7.1.2 setup using just a single 10” sealed sub. It’s in a room that must be at least 22x22, that also opens to a hallway/stair, the kitchen, and the den. It sounds fine for casual TV. Of course no significant impact, but I can’t help but feel that most here must want MUCH more bass than I need?

My initial post was trying to find a nice pair of sealed subs to match my F228s—-50/50 music/movies, but perhaps I should have said I will compromise more on the HT side than the music side. In fact I initially didn’t plan to use subs at all for music, but everything I read says subs will significantly improve my music listening enjoyment. That, plus size, was why I initially only looked at sealed subs.

I guess in my mind I just can’t really picture “needing” 2 ported 15”/18” subs in such a small room, and not being happy with 2 12” sealed subs. Honestly I initially had trouble wrapping my head around the HSU-15s, but I liked the veneer finish, and they seem pretty compact overall for their capabilities, plus the only ones I really saw with magnetic grills.

Hopefully my rambling makes sense.
Ok, this narrows down the choices a bit. For overall performance in a compact form factor, I recommend going with either bear123's suggestion of dual PSA S1510's, or dual Rythmik E15HP's. the PSA's will give you veneer options as well.
rjmcinnis likes this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #18 of 26 Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You are very welcome! Whether or not two good sealed subs would be enough for movies (they certainly would for music) depends a lot on you, and on your personal low-bass preferences. Just be aware that bass preferences can increase over time, as we are exposed to lower bass sounds and tactile sensations in our own home theaters.

Ported subwoofers have very different low-frequency capabilities and characteristics that make them an especially good fit for movies. Some people on AVS get all they want in smaller rooms with sealed subs, but it can take a lot of subwoofage to get there sometimes, and they often find themselves augmenting the sealed subs with tactile transducers to increase the low-bass sensations. Whichever subs you buy, I would definitely stay with ID subs, if I were you. You will get more for your money.

There is a good description of the differences between sealed and ported subs here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...nces.html#VIII

Regards,
Mike
@rjmcinnis

Just to add to Mike post, here's is the chapter within this Guide;
VIII-A: Sealed Versus Ported Subwoofers:
That said, the whole Guide is a must read.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 06-01-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

So I appreciate everyone providing input. I was waiting for a member here to respond about the 2 F12s he has for sale, but it's been nearly a week, so I went ahead and ordered something. I went with one SVS SB-3000 to see if I like it. If so, I will order another. I know everyone said I "need" ported, but since I'd rather compromise on the HT side instead of the music, I decided to stick with sealed. It also helped that I discussed it at length with one of the vendors here, whose opinion I trust, and who has heard a large sampling of the available subs. In fact, he is using the SB-3000 himself.

Who knows, maybe I'll be back next month acknowledging that you all "told me so" and ordering some ported subs. But I honestly doubt it. If so, I'll move the SB-3000 downstairs to my regular room.
post #20 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
So I appreciate everyone providing input. I was waiting for a member here to respond about the 2 F12s he has for sale, but it's been nearly a week, so I went ahead and ordered something. I went with one SVS SB-3000 to see if I like it. If so, I will order another. I know everyone said I "need" ported, but since I'd rather compromise on the HT side instead of the music, I decided to stick with sealed. It also helped that I discussed it at length with one of the vendors here, whose opinion I trust, and who has heard a large sampling of the available subs. In fact, he is using the SB-3000 himself.

Who knows, maybe I'll be back next month acknowledging that you all "told me so" and ordering some ported subs. But I honestly doubt it. If so, I'll move the SB-3000 downstairs to my regular room.

I've also been thinking of trying out the new SB3000 instead of my old PB12-NSD I've had since 2008 for my living room setup to get a smaller footprint and move the sub out of the rear corner to the front soundstage. Unlike you, I am 100% on the HT side rather than music for my application... but let's not forget there's a ton of music soundtracks in movies as well.

In this review- https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...bwoofer-review of the SB3000, a quote from the reviewer that really stood out to me was this:

"Looking at my measurements, what most shocked me was the sub's output from 16 Hz to 20Hz. One would expect that range to be anemic in a subwoofer of this size, but that wasn't the case at all with the SB-3000. The readings certainly matched what I was feeling when watching movies on Ultra HD Blu-ray such as Pacific Rim and Hacksaw Ridge, both of which have a reference-quality Dolby Atmos soundtrack with copious amounts of LFE. The Jaeger footfalls on Pacific Rim could be felt as well as heard, my subfloor resonating with each step from the giant robots.
Jumping to Hacksaw Ridge, I could also feel the impact that the 16-inch guns made when softening up the enemy before our boys stormed the battlefield. There was nothing anemic at all about the SB-3000's performance, which was characterized by extreme low-frequency extension, massive output, and precision on transients."

Like you said, everyone suggests to stay ported if possible, but at the same time there's also the fact that these are the newest subs with the newest technology, and not many people have actual real world experience with them. In my room, at the fairly moderate listening levels I use for movies, who knows... maybe I will get 99% of the same low end performance I do now, with improvements everywhere else. I think in your case, and what I will end up doing as well, is just order one and get some real world hands on testing. Looking forward to a follow-up post from you with your impressions/thoughts on the sub once you have it integrated and get some testing in!
rjmcinnis likes this.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD
post #21 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
I've also been thinking of trying out the new SB3000 instead of my old PB12-NSD I've had since 2008 for my living room setup to get a smaller footprint and move the sub out of the rear corner to the front soundstage. Unlike you, I am 100% on the HT side rather than music for my application... but let's not forget there's a ton of music soundtracks in movies as well.

Like you said, everyone suggests to stay ported if possible, but at the same time there's also the fact that these are the newest subs with the newest technology, and not many people have actual real world experience with them. In my room, at the fairly moderate listening levels I use for movies, who knows... maybe I will get 99% of the same low end performance I do now, with improvements everywhere else. I think in your case, and what I will end up doing as well, is just order one and get some real world hands on testing. Looking forward to a follow-up post from you with your impressions/thoughts on the sub once you have it integrated and get some testing in!
If you are 100% HT I would highly recommend you stick with a low-tuned ported sub due to its flatter frequency response curve.

Best placement is where it measures best in the room. In my experience, near the front speakers may be the best place, or it may not be.

I would go sealed when: the room is very small and the boundaries will bring up the low end, or when you are not focusing on movies, or when you need to prevent subsonics from reaching the neighbors. Spouse approval of the size is also a factor; sealed is smaller.
rjmcinnis likes this.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
If you are 100% HT I would highly recommend you stick with a low-tuned ported sub due to its flatter frequency response curve.

Best placement is where it measures best in the room. In my experience, near the front speakers may be the best place, or it may not be.

I would go sealed when: the room is very small and the boundaries will bring up the low end, or when you are not focusing on movies, or when you need to prevent subsonics from reaching the neighbors. Spouse approval of the size is also a factor; sealed is smaller.

I've measured a few different positions around the room with DIRAC, and the only place that measured (arguably) better than the corner the sub is in now, is up near the front right speaker, so I don't think it's worth the change currently (the SB3000 in black gloss finish is $1480 CND). It's just something I was considering recently and started doing research on smaller form factor subs in case I did want to try the switch.

5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD
post #23 of 26 Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Hey Soulburner, don't mean to bring up an older discussion, but I was wondering about this topic and particularly your comment about subsonics potentially reaching/bothering neighbours. Using my particular situation as an example- I own a condo so I do have to be somewhat consious about volume/loudness when I'm watching movies. Luckily, I was an early buyer when the building was finishing construction, and ended up choosing a top floor corner unit so I really only have to worry about people living in the unit below me in this case. My question on switching from a ported to sealed subwoofer in this case is; would I be able to watch a movie at a higher overall master volume (let's say watching at -15 rather than -20) and still have LESS potential for sound reaching/disrupting people below me?

post #24 of 26 Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's certainly possible. There was some discussion recently in the Rythmik thread about this. Also, consider an isolation pad for the sub(s). I love the rumble, but the neighbors won't.

post #25 of 26 Old 07-08-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It's certainly possible. There was some discussion recently in the Rythmik thread about this. Also, consider an isolation pad for the sub(s). I love the rumble, but the neighbors won't.

I'll check out that thread. As for the isolation pad, I currently use this one http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...auralex-gramma

post #26 of 26 Old 07-08-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Your original question was whether your chosen SUB-WOOFER would benefit from having a DSP Built-in, given that your Lexicon RV-9 has DIRAC LIVE Room Equalization.

The Answer is NO you do NOT need a DSP in your chosen Sub-Woofer, cuz DIRAC LIVE is far superior and ANYTHING you do externally COULD mess it up, as DIRAC LIVE tries to UNDO whatever bad things the DSP might have done. Fol. review of "similar" NAD T758 V3 illustrates how effective DIRAC LIVE is at Equalizing Sub-Woofer Freqs in BOTH Frequency & Time Delay:
https://www.dirac.com/media-coverage...eceiver-review

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-08-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page