Rythmik G25HP vs FV25HP share your experience with either/both! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Question Rythmik G25HP vs FV25HP share your experience with either/both!

Please only reply if you have experience with these two specific subs.

Currently have a full Salk 7.2 home theater in a dedicated home theater room over my garage (suspended wood floor).
Room is fully treated with acoustic foam and bass traps. Walls are THX Quiterock and split staggered stud. I have no neighbors or issues with my family when listening at reference level (0db on my Marantz Preamp)

The room is approx 2250sq ft. 16.25x17.25x8'
Sadly the dimensions are rather close to a cube as the height is nearly half the width and length. This means I get bass nulls in many locations.

The Salk/Rythmik dual F12 subs sound great but the ideal location for them (in the corners of the room on dedicated "stage") result in peaks and valleys +/-10db at certain frequencies in the 20-100hz range. The best location I found for them is on the side walls 50% of the way in the room. All my speakers from Salk are automotive white and the white/black details look great against the black walls/foam and white of the 142" 2.35:1 widescreen. But the large white subs being way up on the on the sides with lots of wires running to them are less than ideal looking. I'm not happy with the "look" and my wife is even less happy.

So I am trying to do two things by changing my dual F12s for a either a single G25HP or a single FV25HP:
1) more kick in the chest/gut, ie more physical sensation from a larger sub
2) downsize from two subs to a single sub

I know everyone says multiple subs are the way to go, but I am not looking for every seat in the home theater to have the best bass. I ONLY care about my seat.

Given the weight and shipping costs of these two monster subs I do not want to be disappointed. I know no one here can tell me what something is going to sound like in my room, and I already spent 40 minutes on the phone with Enrico discussing this. He votes for the G25HP but said to take to the forums because there are several customers he is aware of that have experience with either one or both of these subs.

As for my listening habits. The room is dual use movies/music but I care more about accurate music sound than the best explosions/rumbles in movies. I like to listen to music loud...esp live recordings at near concert level sound. The detail I am getting from the RAAL tweeters in my Salk speakers and the treatment I have in my room provides me with an incredible soundstage and vocals that sound like they are going directly from a live singers mic to my ear. The only thing I am missing is the "chest punch" or "gut kick" that you get from the kick drum at a concert in person.

I am currently using the Audyssey iPad app to do my roomEQ but plan to have a professional come out to calibrate everything as soon as I have my subwoofer situation resolved.

G25HP:
Smaller overall footprint
The sealed woofers are easier to integrate in the room and I already know locations in my room where the G25HP will work (by using a single Salk F12) Also I have only ever had sealed subs, but my L/R Salk speakers are ported (and prior to that my Von Schwiekert main speakers were always ported)

FV25HP:
Ported so it it will be a whole new animal to try to integrate into my room and I have no idea if the positions I have available will work for such a large sub.
Also I am not used to the ported (sub) sound. I am told it imparts more physical "ooomph" than a sealed sub so I am wondering if this is what I need for the "chest punch" but I am also told it is less accurate and musical sounding than what I am used to after having sealed subs for the last 20 years.

I have no doubt both sound awesome. They use the same amps and same drivers. The FV25HP is +5db louder which is significant, but after roomEQ it will be leveled out the same anyways so really this just translates into more headroom.

A 3rd option here is just to stay with the dual Salk F12s. Please be honest and if you don't think the G25HP or FV25HP is going to be enough compared to the benefits from dual subs let me know why. Enrico prefers duals whenever possible to avoid having physical/tactile feedback come from a specific direction even though your ear can't source where it is coming from your body can.

So I really appreciate any info provided that could help identify one of these as the clear winner. I'd love to hear from those of you with experience (and I am fully aware that my room will not sound the same as yours) Thanks!

TL : DR
Looking to replace my 2 Salk/ Rythmik 12s with a single larger Rythmik sub (G25HP vs FV25HP)
Don't care about filling the room/each seat in my dedicated home theater with even bass, only care about my seat.
Would like to get some increased chest slam from kick drums out of this at the same time.

Last edited by Turbojlo; 05-29-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Quoted: 4088 Post(s)
Liked: 5120
@muscles would be the only one who had experienced both subwoofers in the same room. @JimWilson did a great review of the G25HP so he can share some insides. @Gary Bechtold @ianrozzano and @WOKNROX can share their impressions as well. If you post this on the Rythmik Audio thread you may get more responses.
Geronimo.USMC and darthray like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #3 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
@muscles would be the only one who had experienced both subwoofers in the same room. @JimWilson did a great review of the G25HP so he can share some insides. @Gary Bechtold @ianrozzano and @WOKNROX can share their impressions as well. If you post this on the Rythmik Audio thread you may get more responses.

Let me start by saying I have a definite bias towards the sound of a sealed sub. I have never heard a ported sub that can rival the G25HP, period. I would buy them again in an instant if I wasn't in serious trouble with my HOA. I liked the FV25HP, but it is really a movie oriented sub. The output is just ridiculous.

I have had 8 or so subs in the last 1.5 years, all pretty high end....I would say the G25HP is the best sub I have ever owned/heard. When I move I will buy 2 of them in piano black, they are so easy to integrate and have a great amount of slam and depth. I am not sure they are in stock right now though. I could be wrong.

Greg
darthray likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Let me start by saying I have a definite bias towards the sound of a sealed sub. I have never heard a ported sub that can rival the G25HP, period. I would buy them again in an instant if I wasn't in serious trouble with my HOA. I liked the FV25HP, but it is really a movie oriented sub. The output is just ridiculous.

I have had 8 or so subs in the last 1.5 years, all pretty high end....I would say the G25HP is the best sub I have ever owned/heard. When I move I will buy 2 of them in piano black, they are so easy to integrate and have a great amount of slam and depth.
Greg thank you for replying yours is one of the replies I was most looking forward to based on comments from Enrico. That's a pretty powerful plug for the G25HP from someone who knows both subs. The way you describe the FV25HP as more movie oriented may have sealed (pun intended) the deal for me but I'm still open to hearing thoughts on anyone for ported and how it may or may not differ in the physical sensation when talking about subs of this size/caliber.

Quote:
I am not sure they are in stock right now though. I could be wrong.
No worries they are coming back in stock in ~2 weeks so I am using that time to make the final decision.
muscles likes this.
post #5 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...-review-5.html

Noticed in this thread they talk about the FV25HP and it's higher tactical feedback...could this be referring to the chest punch I am looking for?

@muscles @JimWilson how does the G25HP feel in terms of "chest punch" factor?

Last edited by Turbojlo; 05-29-2019 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Quote:

I have had 8 or so subs in the last 1.5 years, all pretty high end....I would say the G25HP is the best sub I have ever owned/heard. When I move I will buy 2 of them in piano black, they are so easy to integrate and have a great amount of slam and depth. I am not sure they are in stock right now though. I could be wrong.

Greg
Hi Greg.

Just to say a quick thank you, for pointing out your bias toward seal design.
I do the same with my bias toward port design.

I believe, this is good info to pass on, So others know how to read replies

Darth
post #7 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@muscles @JimWilson how does the G25HP feel in terms of "chest punch" factor?[/QUOTE]

Chest punch is more of a midbass thing rather than ulf and so in that regards, G25 should be right up there
post #8 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mHaroon07 View Post
Chest punch is more of a midbass thing rather than ulf and so in that regards, G25 should be right up there
I was just reading that in your guide. The TR everyone is talking about with the ported is more of the chair shaking which is not what I am after (have plenty of that now with my suspended wood floor and Seatcraft Apex theater chairs)

The G25HP seems to be pulling further and further ahead.
post #9 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you are not chasing single digit reference level, then to be honest, any of the big boy subs would do just fine. At this level IMO, it's more of a WAF, placement, size constraints sort of issues that you need to look at..
post #10 of 43 Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojlo View Post
I was just reading that in your guide. The TR everyone is talking about with the ported is more of the chair shaking which is not what I am after (have plenty of that now with my suspended wood floor and Seatcraft Apex theater chairs)

The G25HP seems to be pulling further and further ahead.

I wish I could give more insight to the "chest slam" but remember my experience is always with duals. The G25HP's played the shooting scenes in "Den of Thieves" so well that it was awe inspiring. They also shook a light out of my ceiling. They really hit hard and tight. I don't think you could go wrong with the G25HP, it's also easier to move and implement. The FV25HP took all kinds of effort and extras to try to get it to sound as good as the G25HP, it just has a whole different sound. Another point to make is that you can get the G25HP in piano black, that isn't offered in the FV25HP.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #11 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I don’t have any personal experience with the FV25 or any ported sub, but the appeal of the G25 for me is it’s elegance. I am 100% music focused. I’m biased towards sealed subs though, but mostly because I prefer the aesthetics, simplicity and elegant presence of them. And the G25 succeeds in every way. It literally has no weakness (I consider port wind a weakness). It’s small-ish size makes it easy to fit into the decor of your living room and It looks beautiful in piano black which I have. There really isn’t a better sealed sub out there for the price. This sub is a deep silky smooth jackhammer. You won’t be disappointed.
post #12 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Liked: 4506
The mid bass slam you are after will have nothing to do with the low frequencies below 30 Hz where the ported sub has much higher output and much lower distortion than its sealed equivalent. Above 40 Hz, the sealed sub should have almost as much output as its ported counterpart and distortion should be almost as low or the same. Sound quality wise on music, you wouldn't be able to tell the two apart unless you knew and saw which one you were listening to with your bias affecting what you percieve. In a blind test I bet no one, including die hard sealed sub fanatics, would be able to reliably determine which was sealed or ported when listening to music. Sighted as always, is a much different story.

Anyways, it is the higher frequencies you are after and you might want to make sure your mains have a nice response in the 80-300 Hz range as dips and nulls in this region, which are almost guaranteed, will have a huge impact in mid bass.
post #13 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked: 4111
I am biased towards ported as I like the violence in the bass but in any case for chest slam your main speakers have a big role to play as well. What kind of mains do you have?
serith likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #14 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The mid bass slam you are after will have nothing to do with the low frequencies below 30 Hz where the ported sub has much higher output and much lower distortion than its sealed equivalent. Above 40 Hz, the sealed sub should have almost as much output as its ported counterpart and distortion should be almost as low or the same.
Yes! I had forgotten about that until last night when doing some research.
50-100hz seems to be the consensus for chest slam range when combined with high SPL.

I found this chart which really shows off the G25HP in the 50-100 range:

Quote:
Anyways, it is the higher frequencies you are after and you might want to make sure your mains have a nice response in the 80-300 Hz range as dips and nulls in this region, which are almost guaranteed, will have a huge impact in mid bass.
My mains are Salk Veracity HT-2TLs. They are +/-3 down to 34hz and I cross them at 60hz. Here is how they perform in my room before and after roomEQ:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	salkht2tl.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2573068  

Last edited by Turbojlo; 05-29-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #15 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:

I know everyone says multiple subs are the way to go, but I am not looking for every seat in the home theater to have the best bass. I ONLY care about my seat.

I'd love to hear from those of you with experience (and I am fully aware that my room will not sound the same as yours) Thanks!
i had (3) fv25's. i think even a single on a suspended floor would be terrifying. when i sold a single fv25 to a friend and helped him set it up in his living room (on a suspended floor), i felt things i never had before with the trio in my basement on concrete. the room was also easily twice the size of mine and open to other rooms.
post #16 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
50-100hz seems to be the consensus for chest slam range when combined with high SPL.

My mains are Salk Veracity HT-2TLs. They are +/-3 down to 34hz and I cross them at 60hz. Here is how they perform in my room before and after roomEQ:

Pic didn't take...try again:

Wow the image system on this forum is terrible. Feels like 20 years ago. Plus I can't even edit my own posts?

Anyhow take 2 on the chart as well:
Just throwing this out there, but you can get a pair of F25s for $3K. Only $4-$500 more than a single g25HP. You would gain about 3dbs of headroom and have the benefits of dual subs without losing any SQ.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #17 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Just throwing this out there, but you can get a pair of F25s for $3K.
The F25s would just take up even more space than my current duals do and have the same location limitations in my room.
I already have dual Salk/Rythmik 12" subs . If I wanted to stay with dual I'd just keep what I have. Trying to replace 2 with 1 as I mentioned in my original post.
post #18 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Liked: 4506
Quote:

I haven't looked them up but Salk makes some really nice products as far as I know, and your in room response is quite amazing! In addition to subs, I think that boosting the response of your speakers below 120Hz or so will go a long ways towards boosting chest slam as well, especially since you are crossing so low. I've crossed my subs as high as 110 Hz without localization and they are spread out away from the main speakers. I'd cross over as high as you can tolerate as far as localization goes as 18" drivers will produce better bass with lower distortion than almost any speaker with less than 15" woofers.

Remind me what kind of room correction you are using. I'm currently not using any although I need to eq my speakers below 400 Hz or so and have Audysey XT32. I just got mine set up and haven't had time yet. My FR is really good above 400 but, as with most folks, it needs eq below.
post #19 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 07:32 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Currently have a full Salk 7.2 home theater in a dedicated home theater room over my garage (suspended wood floor).
Room is fully treated with acoustic foam and bass traps. Walls are THX Quiterock and split staggered stud. I have no neighbors or issues with my family when listening at reference level (0db on my Marantz Preamp)

The Salk/Rythmik dual F12 subs sound great but the ideal location for them (in the corners of the room on dedicated "stage") result in peaks and valleys +/-10db at certain frequencies in the 20-100hz range. The best location I found for them is on the side walls 50% of the way in the room. All my speakers from Salk are automotive white and the white/black details look great against the black walls/foam and white of the 142" 2.35:1 widescreen. But the large white subs being way up on the on the sides with lots of wires running to them are less than ideal looking. I'm not happy with the "look" and my wife is even less happy.
With a treated room, including bass traps, some of what your describing should have been mitigated. You might be able to get a better/smoother response by adjusting the position of the traps. You mention mid-side wall is the best location, was that determined from measurements or by ear? Ultimately its your ears that need to be satisfied but measuring response - and seeing what's happening - can go a long way toward finding what's causing the issues. You may just need to do something simple like tweaking the phase or distance setting.

Frequently just moving your sub a few inches can make a world of difference as well, same for changing orientation (rotating it 90 or even 180 degrees for example), so that could be another thing to try. It might be worth moving the subs back to the 'stage' area and then rotating them so the driver is pointing in a different direction, even at the rear wall. They don't have to be oriented the same either, one could be pointing in toward the center and the other facing the listeners. Be sure to re-run room EQ after each movement.

Quote:
How does your wife feel about that?

When running room EQ, how many sampling positions do you use? Do you measure at more than just your seat?

Quote:
A 3rd option here is just to stay with the dual Salk F12s. Please be honest and if you don't think the G25HP or FV25HP is going to be enough compared to the benefits from dual subs let me know why. Enrico prefers duals whenever possible to avoid having physical/tactile feedback come from a specific direction even though your ear can't source where it is coming from your body can.
If you find a good spot in the room maybe you can stack both F12's and try it that way? Don't worry about peaks - room EQ will flatten those - it's nulls that are the most concerning as they can rarely be EQed out. That might give some indication of what a larger single sub could do, room mode wise, and not cost a thing.

Quote:
Those speakers use a transmission line to augment the low end, which is like a ported speaker on steroids. Is it possible there's an integration issue between that alignment and your sealed subwoofers? With all my reviews I match the speakers and subwoofer sealed-to-sealed and ported-to-ported. While that's not mandatory I seem to have an easier time blending them if I do.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #20 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've crossed my subs as high as 110 Hz without localization and they are spread out away from the main speakers. I'd cross over as high as you can tolerate as far as localization.
I override my roomEQ and cross the mains and center at 60hz, sides at 80hz and rears at 100hz all based on roomEQ results.
The subs go up to 100hz. I have tried 120 and 110hz and I feel like I get a little bit of localization when going above 100 but I can revisit.
The initial/actual results from roomEQ want my front stage at full range, the sides at 40hz and the rears at 60hz, but I like it loud and don't feel the need to run the speakers that hard or bottom them out trying to hit lows that they shouldn't be wasting their xmax or energy on.

Quote:
Remind me what kind of room correction you are using
Audyssey XT32 on a Marantz Preamp.
bear123 likes this.
post #21 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
You mention mid-side wall is the best location, was that determined from measurements or by ear?
Lots and lots of moving the subs to all sorts of different postions, running roomEQ measurements, looking at how bad the dips are and if they are acceptable enough, then listening sessions with the same selection of music.

I fought with lots of nulls in almost every position except the sides. The whole point of the stage I build (which is filled with sand and insulation) was to hold the speakers and if you noticed, none of my speakers are on it except the center (which luckily has phenomenal results there, the entire freq range is above 0 so all Audyssey has to do is remove levels in order to hit reference)

The side positions I settled on for the subs were the one location that had the least compromise. In other words they didn't have any massive -10 to -20db dips in the 20-100hz range. I know Audyssey cannot correct for more than -6db so I did not want to subject the woofer to trying to overcome those massive dips or being left with missing bass in certain hz.

Quote:
Frequently just moving your sub a few inches can make a world of difference as well, same for changing orientation (rotating it 90 or even 180 degrees for example), so that could be another thing to try. It might be worth moving the subs back to the 'stage' area and then rotating them so the driver is pointing in a different direction, even at the rear wall. They don't have to be oriented the same either, one could be pointing in toward the center and the other facing the listeners. Be sure to re-run room EQ after each movement.
I have spent hours redoing the first 3 measurements (the minimum I can run to get a result) with the Audyssey iPad application doing just this for just the sub positions to find the optimal spot for nulls. I didn't know about the golden ratio when I built my room and even if I did, given the space I had to work with I don't think I could have done much about it so I am close to a cube with the ceiling being about half the distance of the length and width, hence the very picky locations for wave reflections.

Quote:
How does your wife feel about that?
She hasn't spent a dime on the room but she enjoys using it. I designed and built it from scratch. When she pays she can have a final say

The THX quiterock walls are painted matte black it is very hard to take pictures in the room. They just sucks up the light and even the flash. So please forgive the picture quality. The room and colors looks much better IRL.

Quote:
When running room EQ, how many sampling positions do you use? Do you measure at more than just your seat?
I usually do 8 samples per run.
I take 4 samples in my seat and 2 samples in each side seat, but the side seat mic location is inboard (ie closer to my seat) since Audyssey recommends not to exceeding 2ft between samples and the middle of each seat would be more than 2ft away.

Quote:
If you find a good spot in the room maybe you can stack both F12's and try it that way? Don't worry about peaks - room EQ will flatten those - it's nulls that are the most concerning as they can rarely be EQed out. That might give some indication of what a larger single sub could do, room mode wise, and not cost a thing.
I already thought of this but it's just going to tell me what my two subs can do...I already know what they can do.
I cannot see how doing this will tell me anything about a larger sub, I don't see the logic there at all. My subs are a fixed size I can't make them larger!
I don't see myself gaining much knowledge doing this and I risk damaging the beautiful painted finish on the Salk subs...

Based on my existing measurements and experience I believe if I put the G25HP where my right sub is (which I have measured by itself) will be perfect. I replace the right sub with the G25HP, and delete the left sub. Instead of two F12s @ each side wall mid point firing at my rear wall I will have 1 sub with two F15s at the side wall the mid point with one driver firing at my front and 1 firing at my rear wall.

Quote:
Those speakers use a transmission line to augment the low end, which is like a ported speaker on steroids. Is it possible there's an integration issue between that alignment and your sealed subwoofers? With all my reviews I match the speakers and subwoofer sealed-to-sealed and ported-to-ported. While that's not mandatory I seem to have an easier time blending them if I do.
So that's what the TL in HT2-TL stands for?

There is no integration issue at all. The two subs in my current location blend in perfectly and all the bass sounds like it is coming from the mains. It is glorious. I just want MORE bass (esp the kick drum chest impact type more so than chair/floor vibration type) and I would like to have it from 1 larger sub instead of the two if possible. I am trying to have my cake and eat it too

I appreciate all your comments and thoughts Jim. I just couldn't decide between the two and Enrico suggested going to the forums to get some options and data to help me decide while I waited for them to come in stock.

That said I've made the decision to go with the G25HP and thank you to everyone that has helped give me info and insight to these two beasts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	142screen.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	2573270   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	2573272   Click image for larger version

Name:	seats.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	2573274  

Last edited by Turbojlo; 05-30-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #22 of 43 Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So that's what the TL in HT2-TL stands for?

There is no integration issue at all. The two subs in my current location blend in perfectly and all the bass sounds like it is coming from the mains. It is glorious. I just want MORE bass (esp the kick drum chest impact type more so than chair/floor vibration type) and I would like to have it from 1 larger sub instead of the two if possible. I am trying to have my cake and eat it too

I appreciate all your comments and thoughts Jim. I just couldn't decide between the two and Enrico suggested going to the forums to get some options and data to help me decide while I waited for them to come in stock.

That said I've made the decision to go with the G25HP and thank you to everyone that has helped give me info and insight to these two beasts!
Dude, that is one gorgeous room you have!! Congratulations!!

To be honest, you should call Jim Salk and ask him to build for you a pair of G25HPs in White Gloss like these two he built a few weeks ago for another customer:

If you don't want to pay extra for a custom build G25HP, then you should go with at least the Piano Black finish. BTW, looking at your room, I think a pair of whatever you decide to go with is necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2573314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2573316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2573318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2573320   Click image for larger version

Name:	G25W 10.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2573322  

kyzer soze likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 05-29-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #23 of 43 Old 05-30-2019, 11:43 AM
Writer & Reviewer

It sounds like you have done a lot already and invested a considerable amount of time trying to dial everything in so perhaps something a bit more potent is the correct answer.

Quote:
I already thought of this but it's going to tell me what my two subs can do...I already know what they can do.
I cannot see how doing this will tell me anything about a larger sub, I don't see the logic there at all. My subs are a fixed size I can't make them larger!
I don't see myself gaining much knowledge doing this and I risk damaging the beautiful painted finish on the Salk subs...
Stacking/co-locating results in them coupling and acting like a larger subwoofer so in that respect you do have something to gain by trying it. Since you've already ordered a G25HP it might be moot at this point, but if you want to stick a towel between the F12's to protect the paint it may give you a 'lite' version of what you're about to have. Either way, hope the G25HP works out. It's quite a nice subwoofer.

post #24 of 43 Old 05-30-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Stacking/co-locating results in them coupling and acting like a larger subwoofer so in that respect you do have something to gain by trying it. Since you've already ordered a G25HP it might be moot at this point, but if you want to stick a towel between the F12's to protect the paint it may give you a 'lite' version of what you're about to have.
I thought about sticking towels, acoustic foam, cork, sorbothane pucks etc. In the end since I am selling the Salk 12s I didn't want to risk anything happening to the finish.

A 75+lbs vibrating box combined with my luck isn't something I wanted to test!

But thank you for teaching me about stacking or co-locating. I didn't know it would increase the energy. I thought 2 subs gave the +6 db boost no matter where they are in relation to each other.
Is there a technical term for this I could google to learn more, or better yet a link you could share?
post #25 of 43 Old 05-30-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought about sticking towels, acoustic foam, cork, sorbothane pucks etc. In the end since I am selling the Salk 12s I didn't want to risk anything happening to the finish.

A 75+lbs vibrating box combined with my luck isn't something I wanted to test!

But thank you for teaching me about stacking or co-locating. I didn't know it would increase the energy. I thought 2 subs gave the +6 db boost no matter where they are in relation to each other.
Is there a technical term for this I could google to learn more, or better yet a link you could share?
You should get the same effect if you place them next to each other with less than an 1" separation between the subwoofers. You are basically stacking them horizontally instead of vertically.

post #26 of 43 Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You should get the same effect if you place them next to each other with less than an 1" separation between the subwoofers. You are basically stacking them horizontally instead of vertically.
Now that I CAN do and will test out before I remove them.

When I place them next to each other should I have them both fire in the same direction or should I have 1 firing towards the front wall and one towards the rear like I plan to do with the G25HP?

But I am still not understanding how my 2 Salk/Rythmik 12s with the lower power amps will be anything like the 2 F15s with high(est) power amp in the G25HP in the same spot.
post #27 of 43 Old 05-30-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now that I CAN do and will test out before I remove them.

When I place them next to each other should I have them both fire in the same direction or should I have 1 firing towards the front wall and one towards the rear like I plan to do with the G25HP?

But I am still not understanding how my 2 Salk/Rythmik 12s with the lower power amps will be anything like the 2 F15s with high(est) power amp in the G25HP in the same spot.
No, they won't be anything like the G25HP as the G25HP will have more output than dual F12s but at least you will get an idea how a single subwoofer would sound in that particular spot. You can try different configurations like both drivers firing to the MLP or one F12 firing back and the other firing front.
JimWilson likes this.

post #28 of 43 Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
No, they won't be anything like the G25HP as the G25HP will have more output than dual F12s but at least you will get an idea how a single subwoofer would sound in that particular spot.
^^ this.

That's why I mentioned it would be like a 'lite' version of the G25HP. It was just a way to get an indication of potential, a pair of F12's would not be able to emulate the larger sub except for how the bass waves interact with the room.

post #29 of 43 Old 06-10-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quick post/update:

G25HP arrived on Friday, was supposed to be Thursday but UPS dropped the ball.
Picked it up from the terminal and got it installed in my home theater Friday afternoon. Getting it to the 2nd floor was fun...didn't have much time left after all that. Demoed a few songs quickly using the previous subs calibration file and using a SPL meter to match the volume knob to the old subs SPL level.

First impressions are that this is EXACTLY what I wanted. More output from a single box. I couldn't be happier and it's not even calibrated, or in the right position or broken in yet. Need to test out Blade Runner 2049 and Edge of Tomorrow on too!

Speaking of break in I noticed the same thing with my previous Rythmik subs. The surround is very tight and since those were being transported to me during sub zero temps I assumed the cold played a large part in that but now I realize it is just the nature of these surrounds. I noticed Rythmik mentions a 2 week break in time on their website but it isn't really talked about or emphasized much in reviews or anywhere else.

So I am working on getting them loosed up and will update with more details once it is fully dialed in and integrated with my system, but for anyone else asking the same or similar question I was the answer is a huge YES! The G25HP is absolutely amazing.

Huge thank you Enrico for guiding me to the G25HP in the first place!
enricoclaudio, shivaji and imureh like this.
post #30 of 43 Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked: 4111
Quote:
Quick post/update:

G25HP arrived on Friday, was supposed to be Thursday but UPS dropped the ball.
Picked it up from the terminal and got it installed in my home theater Friday afternoon. Getting it to the 2nd floor was fun...didn't have much time left after all that. Demoed a few songs quickly using the previous subs calibration file and using a SPL meter to match the volume knob to the old subs SPL level.

First impressions are that this is EXACTLY what I wanted. More output from a single box. I couldn't be happier and it's not even calibrated, or in the right position or broken in yet. Need to test out Blade Runner 2049 and Edge of Tomorrow on too!

Speaking of break in I noticed the same thing with my previous Rythmik subs. The surround is very tight and since those were being transported to me during sub zero temps I assumed the cold played a large part in that but now I realize it is just the nature of these surrounds. I noticed Rythmik mentions a 2 week break in time on their website but it isn't really talked about or emphasized much in reviews or anywhere else.

So I am working on getting them loosed up and will update with more details once it is fully dialed in and integrated with my system, but for anyone else asking the same or similar question I was the answer is a huge YES! The G25HP is absolutely amazing.

Huge thank you Enrico for guiding me to the G25HP in the first place!
Congrats man! Based on all the testaments I have read, that is one outstanding sub in terms of output, low distortion and size combinations.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page