Suggestions for IN-Wall Subs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Suggestions for IN-Wall Subs?

Would like to replace the two bulky unattractive Polk 10 inch powered subs I am currently using with two, may four later, subs fitted in the sheetrock. First two would go in either the wall the 86-inch LG 4KTV hangs on or in the side walls just in front of it. Second two would go in the back wall.

It's a dedicated, windowless media room. The room size is about 15 ft long x 13 ft wide x 9 ft ceiling height.

Setup is a currently 7.2.4, which I am considering making into a 7.4.4 or 7.(2x2).4 if you get my drift.

The AVR is a Marantz 7010 with two Onkyo 5010 (2 x 75 watts RMS) power amps driving the built-in AVR front speakers plus two Klipsch Reference 40 floorstanders also "chained in" to the front AVR channels. A third Onkyo 5010 will be added to drive doubled-up centers shortly. With the front channel load taken off the 7010's power amps the surround channels can "sing" quite loud enough when called upon to do so thankyou, so no plans for multi-channel power amps at this point. Using the 5010s has allowed me to add power-amped channels a couple at a time as my allowance has, um, allowed.

All the speakers are Yamaha "Natural Sound" in-walls or in-ceilings: NS-960 FL, FR and center, IW-660 sides and rears, NS-IC800 overheads. All are rated 50 to 75 watts RMS / 150 watts peak, I believe, which seems plenty powerful enough for the room size and my sort of listening level. I've looked at more expensive speakers from Polk, Klipsch, etc. and TBH I can't see any point spending three or four times as much for HT speakers that deliver, on paper at least, the same performance in decibel terms. Added to which I don't like repairing sheetrock.

Normal sheetrock 3/1-2 ish inch depth, 16 inch stud separation.

Don't mind adding a sub power amp (or two or four) if needed.

Modestly priced please.

Last edited by Darren Heal; 05-30-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Look at using some thin subs instead of in-wall subs. They can be mounted to the wall, or hidden under, to the side, or behind the couch, hidden behind curtains, or the equipment rack.

In-wall subs are expensive and do not perform well compared to similarly-priced box subs. Thin subs are still a bit of a compromise, but you don't need to spend three or four times the money, and be stuck with the position(s) chosen (sub(s) location makes a BIG difference in bass performance). So, you might look at these reasonably-priced options:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-FS...SIN=B000V7H1FO

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php...subwoofer.html

https://www.htd.com/Sub-80LP

https://www.amazon.com/Earthquake-So...SIN=B005W8NEXA

There are more expensive options (and higher quality) from KEF, Triad and Totem.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 28
^ Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think any of those free-standing subs solves what I'm trying to do.

First of all I would want them at the front (initially) of the media room so they synch with the main FL and FR speakers. The idea is to put the in-walls behind where the on-the-floors sit now for that reason.

Secondly, hiding them under the couches isn't an option: they're electric-powered recliners to start with and I'm not sure there's enough room under them; they have "skirts" which would deaden the output anyway; and the Memsahib won't put up with wires draped across the floor to feed them either.

Third, given the two above, if they have to sit on the floor out in plain sight, I might as well stick with what I've got.

It does occur to me though, why can't I use some car subwoofer speakers and use a dedicated 2 or 4-channel power amp to drive them? The spaces behind the front and backwalls are a closet and an attic, so no problem, Memsahib permitting of course, of punching right through and boxing in on the back side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Monoprice makes some in wall subs. Triad Probably does too, but hope your wallet is thick.

Can you post a picture of the room? In wall subs are going to be very disappointing in my mind, well unless you buy like 8 of the monoprice subs. At that point you are at 400 plus an amp though and you are not getting anything worth while. Could start with 4 I guess.

You said media room...so music or HT? or both?

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -

Last edited by trilkb; 05-31-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
I too would try to stay in-room but if in-wall are a must I would try to add four of these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4928

Probably two in the front of the room or two in the rear or as close to the main seating as possible. Based on your post it seems like you are thinking more budget minded vs more expensive options from a company like Triad or RBH.

Their Unity amps are a good deal too and should drive them no problem.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Car subs are typically built in smaller enclosures and are sized to cover the area of a car. Not a bigger room. An in-wall home theater sub will use the volume of the wall/cavity vs being confined to a smaller box.

I would just stick with cheaper in-wall subs.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Heal View Post
^ Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think any of those free-standing subs solves what I'm trying to do.

First of all I would want them at the front (initially) of the media room so they synch with the main FL and FR speakers. The idea is to put the in-walls behind where the on-the-floors sit now for that reason.

Secondly, hiding them under the couches isn't an option: they're electric-powered recliners to start with and I'm not sure there's enough room under them; they have "skirts" which would deaden the output anyway; and the Memsahib won't put up with wires draped across the floor to feed them either.

Third, given the two above, if they have to sit on the floor out in plain sight, I might as well stick with what I've got.

It does occur to me though, why can't I use some car subwoofer speakers and use a dedicated 2 or 4-channel power amp to drive them? The spaces behind the front and backwalls are a closet and an attic, so no problem, Memsahib permitting of course, of punching right through and boxing in on the back side.
You could hang them on the wall (or just stand them up in front of the wall), after painting them the wall color. You could also put them sideways, so the side is facing the seating, thus decreasing their visual impact.

If you go in-wall, choose the oft-recommended 1/4 points of the front wall, to decrease the interaction issues.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/a...-for-your-home

Don't use car subs.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked: 3101
JL Audio (http://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-in-wall-subwoofers) and Wisdom Audio (https://www.wisdomaudio.com/ranges/sub-woofers/) make in-wall subs (and probably a number of others).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
James Loudspeaker, Artison or Wisdom audio for inwall subs. Just about everything else is "meh."
post #10 of 14 Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just got my pair of Paradigm RVC-12SQs with X-850 Amp up and playing and they are excellent. Wife was like "holy ****, what is that?" The amount of audio in music and movies that we hadn't been hearing with our old little sub is just crazy. Price definitely adds up though. Subs + Backboxes, + Amp = $$$

Home Theater - Video: Sony KDL-55W800B - Audio - 7.2 - AVR: Denon 2809CI, Left/Right: DT Studio Monitor, Center: DT CLR 2002, Surrounds: Sonance IS4, Subwoofers: Paradigm RVC-12SQ with X850 Amplifier - Upgrade in Progress!
post #11 of 14 Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
In wall subs are going to be very disappointing in my mind...
Anyone who thinks in-wall subs are by default disappointing is very welcome to stop by anytime time they're in San Jose. The issue isn't performance...it's the price to buy the performance. Basically it costs 1.5-2X to get the same performance in-wall as freestanding, but the value of the SAF is not to be underestimated!

Home Theater - Video: Sony KDL-55W800B - Audio - 7.2 - AVR: Denon 2809CI, Left/Right: DT Studio Monitor, Center: DT CLR 2002, Surrounds: Sonance IS4, Subwoofers: Paradigm RVC-12SQ with X850 Amplifier - Upgrade in Progress!

Last edited by Naylia; 06-18-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 55
you can DIY and model it like a commercial in-wall for 1/20th the cost with better performance. Whether its sealed or ported, its just a box. Really depends on room and your comfort level with DIY.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Anyone who thinks in-wall subs are by default disappointing is very welcome to stop by anytime time they're in San Jose. The issue isn't performance...it's the price to buy the performance. Basically it costs 1.5-2X to get the same performance in-wall as freestanding, but the value of the SAF is not to be underestimated!
Right, for his budget hes not going to get anything great is what I was saying. Not saying there are not good inwall subs out there. Gotta pay to play.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #14 of 14 Old 06-19-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Right, for his budget hes not going to get anything great is what I was saying. Not saying there are not good inwall subs out there. Gotta pay to play.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what modestly priced meant. I mean I spent double a couple freestanding SVS subs, but I spent half of the JL Audio list prices . So I'm gonna tell my wife that I clearly was very frugal and we have a very modestly priced dual sub configuration...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page