Which single 15 - HSU or PSA - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #61 of 77 Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Society is weak and sedentary, no doubt.

If you look at people who live a hard life, e.g. manual labor, they are in much better health as well as having better posture as they havent spent their life slouching in front of tv on a couch or bending down for smartphones and stuffing their faces.

People in Western countries have easier lives and worse health. If they even think about getting fit, they are going to go on a fad diet like low carb/keto, and spend hours on a treadmill, vs lifting weights or doing basic bodyweight exercises which aren't cool.

But I disagree a bit about injury risk. The spinal cord is extremely fragile.

Don't know about that. People I know who have worked manual labor jobs their adult life are broken down as they get older. One lady I worked with, who recently retired in her early 60's, had both knees replaced, shoulder surgery multiple times and a bad back. Your body is like a car and the more miles you put on it the quicker parts will wear out or fail. My mom is 70 and she never did any real manual labor her adult life and she has no physical issues at all. I know several other examples of both instances I just referenced. I know of many UPS drivers who have knee replacement and shoulder surgeries due to beating up their body on a daily basis.
ratbuddy and basshead81 like this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, XB900n, MDR-V6, XB700, XB32, XB31, XB22. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6, RK8, RK7, PK5, PH4. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
I think he just means the "usual" recommended procedure is to run Audyssey (minimum measurements) a few times - making small adjustments to the Subs gain dial between calibrations - until it comes back with an AVR Sub Trim around -11dB (just shy of its lowest setting), then after running through the full 8 (or whatever) calibration positions, you can add to the sub channel via the AVR's Sub Trim, safely being able to add 5-8dB (ie. an AVR Sub Trim around -6dB). If you still need more output you can then add a a click or 2 to the Subs gain dial.
There are a few reasons this method is often recommended on here
1. You will now have a pretty good idea exactly how "hot" you are running your subs post Audyssey and
2. It's not recommended to have the AVR sub trim at 0dB (and certainly not in the positives) due to the increased chance of clipping the signal. I usually play it safe and recommend definitely no higher than -3dB

have a read here (the whole guide is fantastic!)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ences.html#IIC

That's great for you. I've run Audyssey multiple times. Pre-furniture in the room and post-furniture. It's not a large room so each time Audyssey had me turn the volume on the back of the sub to almost its' lowest position possible to achieve 75db. One post Audyssey run was -2.5db. After furniture was installed -1.5db. So even Audyssey by itself is running hotter than -3db. I differ in that I don't think this is as big of a deal as you do. Dr. HSU said that he has many customers running 10db hot from where Audyssey's calibration set it at. The important thing for me is it sounds correct in the room and my friend wants me to run it hotter (via volume dial on the sub). Audyssey is a great starters point but it's not the end all be all. I've been in touch with HSU several times via phone throughout my tuning process. I'm going to trust their employees on their product over anyone else. Thanks for the input however.
post #63 of 77 Old 06-10-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
All good chief, all that matters is that your happy with the sound
How hot are you running the sub now though?
The point of ignoring Audysseys initial recommendations to set the gain to near minimum so that you end up with a much lower AVR sub triim (-11dB or so) is so that you can add to the sub via the AVR and actually know how many dB hot the sub is running, that's all.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 77 Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
The point of ignoring Audysseys initial recommendations to set the gain to near minimum so that you end up with a much lower AVR sub triim (-11dB or so) is so that you can add to the sub via the AVR and actually know how many dB hot the sub is running, that's all.
Key here is that it is a Gain knob, not a volume knob. Too many treat it like the volume button on a TV remote.

For the OP, I'd go with the PSA. I have 2 v1510df's in an 8000 cuft room and they pound. Great service from Tom at PSA too.
jamiebosco and Bigbirney like this.
post #65 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Key here is that it is a Gain knob, not a volume knob. Too many treat it like the volume button on a TV remote.

For the OP, I'd go with the PSA. I have 2 v1510df's in an 8000 cuft room and they pound. Great service from Tom at PSA too.
I am definitely leaning that way. Especially for the 5 year warranty across the board. I'm hoping someone will trade in a ported 18 with the new models coming out, otherwise 15 it is. Thanks everyone
zeuspaul and ratbuddy like this.

Basement HT 5.1.2 - Marantz 6012, Outlaw 5000 - ELAC Debut F5 Towers, C5 Center, B5 Bookshelves as surrounds - Monolith 15(RETURNED) - BenQ2050a 92" Silver Ticket
Upstairs Living Room, Music 3.1 - Anthem MRX520 - Pair of KEF Q300's, Single Q100 - SVS PB 1000 - Projekt Debut turntable - LG 55" B8 OLED
Bedroom 2.1 - Denon AVR740h - ELAC B4 Bookshelves - Klipsch R-10SW - TCL 49"
post #66 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post

I used the term "volume" because that's what it says on the back of the sub. Maybe you can persuade Dr. HSU to change his product so it's says "gain" on the knob instead of "volume."

Nobody is treating it like a volume button on a remote. Sometimes this place is comical.
post #67 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Chief? Ok, now I'll call you bird with no feathers

I know where the GAIN is set from post Audyssey to where I have it set currently. Pretty easy and old school to look at the dial and figure out what o'clock Audyssey sets it at, and what you raise it to.

I'm not that enamored with Audyssey at all. I'm used to doing this by ear, a spl meter and a tape measure. Wonderful Audyssey sets my speakers at 40 hz and LARGE. That gets changed immediately to small. Crossovers changed to 80 hz. So sub tuning, I'm sticking with HSU (EQ1 vs EQ2, one port plugged vs 2) recommendations.

I ran Audyssey again today after swapping my surrounds and rears, same ish. Changed back to small speakers, changed the crossovers, etc. Post Audyssey it set the sub at -2.5 and that's with knob almost completely down to 6 o'clock.

Happy Tuesday!
post #68 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post

I'm not that enamored with Audyssey at all. I'm used to doing this by ear, a spl meter and a tape measure. Wonderful Audyssey sets my speakers at 40 hz and LARGE. That gets changed immediately to small. Crossovers changed to 80 hz. So sub tuning, I'm sticking with HSU (EQ1 vs EQ2, one port plugged vs 2) recommendations.

I ran Audyssey again today after swapping my surrounds and rears, same ish. Changed back to small speakers, changed the crossovers, etc. Post Audyssey it set the sub at -2.5 and that's with knob almost completely down to 6 o'clock.

Happy Tuesday!
I meant no offence

Actually your Denon AVR sets the speaker size and crossover point using the in-room frequency response Audyssey provides it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #69 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5354 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirney View Post
I am definitely leaning that way. Especially for the 5 year warranty across the board. I'm hoping someone will trade in a ported 18 with the new models coming out, otherwise 15 it is. Thanks everyone
You can definitely snag a ported 18. Your best bet is to email PSA to reserve an outlet sub. This saves them the trouble of listing it on the website and you the trouble of checking the outlet every day. I've purchased outlet subs in this manner several times… seamless transactions.

[email protected]
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/contact
sk373 likes this.
post #70 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

Give our Australian friend a break. English isn't the same in all parts of the world.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #71 of 77 Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
Give our Australian friend a break. English isn't the same in all parts of the world.
Yes,I'm sorry,I meant no offense,I tend to type how I talk.
I call everyone mate, chief, bud, boss, champ, Gov, squire etc
zeuspaul likes this.

post #72 of 77 Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
I am trading in a V1801 and V1811 in the next couple of weeks. Returning them in person and they are in perfect condition.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #73 of 77 Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
There are a pair of PSA V1510DF I'm boxing up and shipping back this weekend, though for all I know Tom already has buyers for them.
post #74 of 77 Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Yes,I'm sorry,I meant no offense,I tend to type how I talk.
I call everyone mate, chief, bud, boss, champ, Gov, squire etc

I use a ton of slang myself and like to break balls also. I like you Aussies, the general quickness of wit and ball busting that you do. Got friends in Melbourne and Sydney (met via MotoGP).....they curse like sailors and love the cut of their jib. They are only seconded on the planet by the Scots. Scots' ball busting and cursing make you lot look like daisies. Most fun people on the planet to get pissed with at the pub. You haven't lived until you've partied with a female Scot, you uses the C word more than anyone you have ever met and can drink you under the table.

If you knew what our Natives (I guess on your island, it's Aborigines) went through and how hard they got screwed, reneg'd on over and over and over again. Or that we have this national holiday here called Thanksgiving where Muricans overfill their guts, watch American Football, pass out, then eat more and more glutting, meanwhile, at the same time, the tribe of Natives the holiday is actually about call the day a National day of mourning and march up and down the East Coast of the US to protest but also to remember their ancestors who were slaughtered, well I'd take "chief" out of the repertoire. It would drive home if you ever went to a res. They are third world like (or worse) and drug use is rampant.

In my slang, anything to do with them, even in jest, isn't used and shouldn't be. "chief" is like using the N word man. Not kosh, not even a little bit. And Audyssey is still a pos
post #75 of 77 Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

In my slang, anything to do with them, even in jest, isn't used and shouldn't be. "chief" is like using the N word man. Not kosh, not even a little bit. And Audyssey is still a pos
In my area we still have fire and police chiefs so Chief is synonomous with boss and is used like "boss" or "pal" or "champ" in passing. I guess all areas are different so maybe cut the guy a little slack on the lecture?
jamiebosco likes this.
post #76 of 77 Old 06-12-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docethic View Post
In my area we still have fire and police chiefs so Chief is synonomous with boss and is used like "boss" or "pal" or "champ" in passing. I guess all areas are different so maybe cut the guy a little slack on the lecture?

He wasn't cutting me any.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #77 of 77 Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
With the bumper-crop of V18xx subs getting traded back to Tom, I would highly recommend one of those especially since you're in a basement (presumably on a concrete slab). I've got a Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 in the main floor living room and it's great over wood subfloor/wood joists. My twin PSA V1811s in the basement add just a bit more "weight" to the lower frequencies even though they're on a slab.

Yeah, you're spending a lot more money if you go with a PSA V18xx, but I think you'll be happier in the end. Best of luck with your choice.

Cheers!
jamiebosco likes this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
psathreadpooper

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page