• 1 Post By micmac1911

post #1 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Old SVS CS ultra passive sub

Hello,
I picked this up last night in trade. It appears to be in good shape. I noticed one of the three ports has been plugged with foam. Does anyone know how to get the grill off so I can experiment with plugged/fully open ports? I looked at it briefly last night, and it appears to be crimped on. Also, does anyone have amp recommendations?

Thanks
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The grill you can pull it off.. pretty easy.. for amp you can use anything 500 watt and over. The cs ultra rated at 500watt..

I just sold a pair of them last week was using it with the original sampson 1k amp.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Why would you want to plug one port? Raising the tuning frequency for less bass in a small room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 736
The entire grille pulls off like the lid on a tub of ice cream. Pry the outer solid metal ring upward with your fingers in one area, and the rest will follow. We have pics if you need - email us at [email protected].

The native tune with 3 ports open is 20 Hz and one port plugged is 16 Hz.

You likely won't fine the original Marchand bass box we developed for the passive subs - so I recommend a miniDSP 2x4 to implement a 24 dB/octave high pass filter to help protect the woofer below tuning. We can recommend specific frequency and Q value for the high pass after you settle on which tuning option you want.

Any amp in the 300-500W range into 4 ohms will be fine - those woofers are made from unobtanium so I wouldn't push it super hard.
darthray, jamiebosco and ian#77 like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #5 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Ed, I appreciate the help. BTW, funny story. I was trying to sneak the sub into the house before my wife got home, knowing she'd not notice it for a long time if I hid it in the corner of the TV room without her seeing. Unfortunately she pulled up as I was carrying the 80# of subwoofer in the front door. She wasn't pleased. She yelled when I explained what it was, "that speaker is completely pointless!" To which I replied, well sweat heart, it is a cylinder, of course it's pointless. Which thankfully made her laugh. It is now officially named the pointless speaker and her level of irritation seems to be back to a basal level.
darthray likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The entire grille pulls off like the lid on a tub of ice cream. Pry the outer solid metal ring upward with your fingers in one area, and the rest will follow. We have pics if you need - email us at [email protected].

You likely won't fine the original Marchand bass box we developed for the passive subs - so I recommend a miniDSP 2x4 to implement a 24 dB/octave high pass filter to help protect the woofer below tuning. We can recommend specific frequency and Q value for the high pass after you settle on which tuning option you want.

Any amp in the 300-500W range into 4 ohms will be fine - those woofers are made from unobtanium so I wouldn't push it super hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac1911 View Post
Thanks for the info Ed, I appreciate the help. BTW, funny story. I was trying to sneak the sub into the house before my wife got home, knowing she'd not notice it for a long time if I hid it in the corner of the TV room without her seeing. Unfortunately she pulled up as I was carrying the 80# of subwoofer in the front door. She wasn't pleased. She yelled when I explained what it was, "that speaker is completely pointless!" To which I replied, well sweat heart, it is a cylinder, of course it's pointless. Which thankfully made her laugh. It is now officially named the pointless speaker and her level of irritation seems to be back to a basal level.
LOL
Thanks for sharing this story with us.

This is one old sub, and the post in the above quote from Ed Mullen.
Just show another example of SVS Customer Service, to be one of the best out there.

Darth
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:

Hey Ed, could he use a Behringer NX1000D ?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ifier-with-dsp
This has built in DSP, with a high pass filter (there is a work around to get it down to 16hz) and only $298
Here's the dyno test for the previous model,puts out a bit more power than you recommended 630w bridged in 4 ohms

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Hey Ed, could he use a Behringer NX1000D ?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ifier-with-dsp
This has built in DSP, with a high pass filter (there is a work around to get it down to 16hz) and only $298
Here's the dyno test for the previous model,puts out a bit more power than you recommended 630w bridged in 4 ohms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibsvu1xownw
Sure that amp will work fine, provided the high pass can indeed be set that low. The unit is rated at 620W/8 ohms and 1000W/4 ohms in bridged mode.

If he blows the woofer it can't be repaired/replaced, so I wouldn't go hammer down in bridged mode. The DCR of that woofer is just a shade under 4 ohms - and 1000W is just too much power for that woofer. I would use one-channel in stereo mode for 300W and play it safe.
jamiebosco and darthray like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Sure that amp will work fine, provided the high pass can indeed be set that low. The unit is rated at 620W/8 ohms and 1000W/4 ohms in bridged mode.

If he blows the woofer it can't be repaired/replaced, so I wouldn't go hammer down in bridged mode. The DCR of that woofer is just a shade under 4 ohms - and 1000W is just too much power for that woofer. I would use one-channel in stereo mode for 300W and play it safe.
It can if this work around is used https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post24005480

..and yes just using 1 channel would probably be MUCH safer!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Not having an amp for this yet, but wanting to test it out, I hooked up one channel from an old NAD amp I have, rated at 35 watts per channel. Now granted I have a very small TV room at ~120 sq feet with 10" ceilings, but Toccata and Fugue in D Minor was smile inducing when the organ hits the low notes at the end of the toccata. I'm guessing with 300 watts I will have to have the gain quite low to preserve my house's foundation. My better half listened for about five minutes and said I was forgiven, the subwoofer was a great idea.
darthray likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page