Rythmik E15 versus Martin Logan Dynamo 1600X - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By fmzip
  • 2 Post By enricoclaudio

post #1 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Rythmik E15 versus SVS SB-4000 versus Martin Logan Dynamo 1600X

Looking for some input to replace my REL Strata III. It's been a great sub but our new home needs something with a bit more oomph!

I set an email to Rythmik a few days ago and hadn't got a reply so I thought I'd post here. I have a 3.1 setup and plan to remain there. Not much for home theater, just TV and few random movies. I do like listening to music at loud volumes on occasion and with the large open space we have, even my B&W 803's need some support. As you can see in the photos, the house is an open floor plan and continues to the dining room and hallway, 10ft celings too

My REL subwoofer can be seen directly behind the black recliner. That is the only wife approved spot for it. The draw to the Martin Logan, it can be down-firing or front-firing, it provides some directional options. Also, the cost of the Dynamo 1600X is only $900, my stepson works at Best Buy. The SVS SB-4000 can be had for $944

The E15 seems to be a really nice sub. Pricewise it would be significantly more. Retail, both subs are comparable in price in the $1500 range. I have an Anthem Statement D1 so the XLR3 upgrade seems to be the way to go with the E15. I have ARC, so the ARC feature on the Dynamo seems redundant.

Based on my listening needs and that sub being directly behind my chair, thoughts and suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	htnew.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2579352   Click image for larger version

Name:	htnew1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	2579354  
iceatola likes this.

Last edited by fmzip; 06-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked: 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Looking for some input to replace my REL Strata III. It's been a great sub but our new home needs something with a bit more oomph!

I set an email to Rythmik a few days ago and hadn't got a reply so I thought I'd post here. I have a 3.1 setup and plan to remain there. Not much for home theater, just TV and few random movies. I do like listening to music at loud volumes on occasion and with the large open space we have, even my B&W 803's need some support. As you can see in the photos, the house is an open floor plan and continues to the dining room and hallway, 10ft celings too

My REL subwoofer can be seen directly behind the black recliner. That is the only wife approved spot for it. The draw to the Martin Logan, it can be down-firing or front-firing, it provides some directional options. Also, the cost of the Dynamo 1600X is only $900, my stepson works at Best Buy.

The E15 seems to be a really nice sub. Pricewise it would be significantly more. Retail, both subs are comparable in price in the $1500 range. I have an Anthem Statement D1 so the XLR3 upgrade seems to be the way to go with the E15. I have ARC, so the ARC feature on the Dynamo seems redundant.

So based on my listening and setup, thoughts and suggestions?

Based on my listening needs and that sub being directly behind my chair I am sure
Are you sure you sent an email to us? I haven't get your email. Please, go to our website and fill out the contact form. Make sure you press "Submit". As soon I get your email, I will respond to you.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 06-12-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Are you sure you sent an email to us? I haven't get your email. Please, go to our website and fill out the contact form. Make sure you press "Submit". As soon I get your email, I will respond to you.
I had the confirmation page the first time I submitted it, I submitted it again :

Name:fran
Email:[email protected] gmail.com
Phone:
Mobile: 860xxxxxxx
Type of Enquiry:Sale s/Ordering Enquiry
How did you hear about us?:AVS
% use for Home Theatre:15
Subject:E15?
Your Message :Hi, I just copied and pasted this from AVS as you suggested resending the request: Looking for some
input to replace my REL Strata III. It\'s been a great sub but our new home needs something with a bit more oomph! I set
an email to Rythmik a few days ago and hadn\'t got a reply so I thought I\'d post here. I have a 3.1 setup and plan to
remain there. Not much for home theater, just TV and few random movies. I do like listening to music at loud volumes on
occasion and with the large open space we have, even my B&W 803\'s need some support. As you can see in the
photos, the house is an open floor plan and continues to the dining room and hallway, 10ft celings too
https://flic.kr/p/28usmDu https://flic.kr/p/KTZszM https://flic.kr/p/KTZupD My REL subwoofer can be seen directly behind
the black recliner. That is the only wife approved spot for it. The draw to the Martin Logan, it can be down-firing or frontfiring,
it provides some directional options. Also, the cost of the Dynamo 1600X is only $900, my stepson works at Best
Buy. The E15 seems to be a really nice sub. Pricewise it would be significantly more. Retail, both subs are comparable
in price in the $1500 range. I have an Anthem Statement D1 so the XLR3 upgrade seems to be the way to go with the
E15. I have ARC, so the ARC feature on the Dynamo seems redundant. Based on my listening needs and that sub
being directly behind my chair, thoughts and suggestions?
Your response has been emailed by this system. Rythmik Audio will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you for your
letter!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-13-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 2610
At $900, I'd take the Dynamo over the E15.

Options priced to either side of the Dynamo that (IMO) are worth considering:
- HSU ULS-15 MK2 (currently on sale for $827, shipped); and
- PSA S1510DF ($950, shipped).

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 06-13-2019 at 05:37 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked: 3233
I owned an E15HP for a few years so I'm very familiar with that one. I've never heard the Dynamo 1600X myself but I did review the Dynamo 1500X in 2013, so I have some background with the product line.

If the 1600X is an evolutionary upgrade from the 1500X then I would guess the E15HP will be able to play lower, and perhaps a bit louder as well. Physical dimensions and appearance are close enough to be a non-issue, so perhaps that can be considered a wash (appearance wise I would likely side with the Rythmik though as the 1600X does not look as nice as the 1500X in my opinion). If you had to buy them for listed price than the E15HP is the better value but at $900 the ML becomes pretty attractive, especially considering your usage may not be all that demanding. Rythmik has an amplifier that can be configured in many different ways, while the Martin Logan uses ARC for room correction (which is a nice system). If you had a discerning ear and wanted to dial in the sound to your exact specifications I would say the E15HP is the better of the two, but given your usage and goals - and the price, of course - the Dynamo 1600X is a solid option.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #6 of 17 Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I owned an E15HP for a few years so I'm very familiar with that one. I've never heard the Dynamo 1600X myself but I did review the Dynamo 1500X in 2013, so I have some background with the product line.

If the 1600X is an evolutionary upgrade from the 1500X then I would guess the E15HP will be able to play lower, and perhaps a bit louder as well. Physical dimensions and appearance are close enough to be a non-issue, so perhaps that can be considered a wash (appearance wise I would likely side with the Rythmik though as the 1600X does not look as nice as the 1500X in my opinion). If you had to buy them for listed price than the E15HP is the better value but at $900 the ML becomes pretty attractive, especially considering your usage may not be all that demanding. Rythmik has an amplifier that can be configured in many different ways, while the Martin Logan uses ARC for room correction (which is a nice system). If you had a discerning ear and wanted to dial in the sound to your exact specifications I would say the E15HP is the better of the two, but given your usage and goals - and the price, of course - the Dynamo 1600X is a solid option.
Agree but due the size of his room I did recommend him the E15HP2 instead as it has +2dB more output than the E15HP you owned. The E15HP2 is literally the baby brother of the G25HP you reviewed as it has the same driver as the G25HP (DS1520) and the HX1000XLR3 amp.
JimWilson and spyboy like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #7 of 17 Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone have an SVS SB-4000 ?
post #9 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jim,

Any thoughts on the SVS SB-4000? I can also get that for under $1000
post #10 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jim,

Here is Jim Wilson comparison of the SVS SB-13 Ultra vs Rythmik E15HP (600 watts version). This comparison was done 5 years ago but still relevant for comparison purposes. The SB-4000 is the SB-13 Ultra replacement.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post24544440

post #11 of 17 Old 06-17-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked: 2462
Quote:
Jim,

You can get an idea of the performance of the SB4000 by what the PB4000 does in sealed mode. It won't be identical as they don't use the exact same driver AFAIK. Build quality and warranty on the SB4000 is worlds better than the ML, so there's that to consider.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #12 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
You can get an idea of the performance of the SB4000 by what the PB4000 does in sealed mode. It won't be identical as they don't use the exact same driver AFAIK. Build quality and warranty on the SB4000 is worlds better than the ML, so there's that to consider.
It was my understanding SVS uses the same driver between the sealed and ported version, but I can't say for certain as I never asked Ed that. Since a sealed PB is significantly larger than an SB the PB will have higher output numbers, as you noted, just not sure the formula to use when factoring that in. The 1500X I reviewed was heavily boosted in the low end - seemed like the classic LT to me - which is why the distortion numbers are higher. Thankfully it was at frequencies lower than most can pick up so that type of distortion is generally inaudible. Warranty/extras favor SVS - their's is a long list - but I would say build quality does not. The ML eval unit I had was every bit as good, from a quality perspective, to all the SVS models I've seen over the years. In that regard I would say they're more similar than dissimilar, with both being very good.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

My REL subwoofer can be seen directly behind the black recliner. That is the only wife approved spot for it. The draw to the Martin Logan, it can be down-firing or front-firing, it provides some directional options. Also, the cost of the Dynamo 1600X is only $900, my stepson works at Best Buy. The SVS SB-4000 can be had for $944

Based on my listening needs and that sub being directly behind my chair, thoughts and suggestions?
I'm not the best judge, but I previously owned the ML Dynamo 1500, SVS PB-4000. Currently I have the Rythmik G25HP. Though its not the same comparison, I will say that the Rythmik is by far the winner for me. The sealed design provides a tight and musical sound (much better than the ML), and you can still feel it. I personally think its light years ahead of the other two, and I believe the E15 is the baby brother of it..but Enrico can clarify
post #14 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info.

I have a few more subs to throw into the mix, B&W DB2D for $2000 and the Martin Logan BF212 for $2300 and the SVS SB16 for $1200.

I am after musicality, first and foremost. That is what I loved about the REL
post #15 of 17 Old 06-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Writer & Reviewer

If music is your number one priority than Rythmik is a strong option. Seaton Sound as well; @Mark Seaton is every bit the perfectionist, a nice quality to have when you're designing subs for the discerning ear.

post #16 of 17 Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1886 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
I owned the smaller ML, the Dynamo 500 a few years ago...and a "dynamo", it was not! Not a good sub, IMHO...compared to my Outlaw LFm-1 plus, my EMPtek10i10i or even the Klipsch RW12d...(all of which I owned at the time).

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #17 of 17 Old 06-20-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the input. I decided to go with an SVS SB-4000. For $1100 in gloss black delivered, I couldn't pass it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page