• 1 Post By WLDock
  • 1 Post By BryceDH

post #1 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Subwoofer recommendation

I'm looking to get a sub for my living room. The living room is about 20x10 and is open to the kitchen (30x10 combined). I have an elac c5.2 and a pair of Sony cores. I watch a mix of movies and shows and play games.

I'd like to keep it around $200-300 unless it's not even worth buying anything at that point. For what it's worth, I don't have the most discerning hearing -- I tried a pair of KEF 100s against my Sony Cores and had a hard time noticing much of a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2613
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdwosk97
I'm looking to get a sub for my living room. The living room is about 20x10 and is open to the kitchen (30x10 combined). ... I watch a mix of movies and shows and play games.

I'd like to keep it around $200-300 unless it's not even worth buying anything at that point. ...
That's a fairly large space. IMO, you should consider saving up for a bare minimum of one:
- Monoprice Monolith 10"; or
- SVS PB-1000.
darthray likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdwosk97 View Post
I'm looking to get a sub for my living room. The living room is about 20x10 and is open to the kitchen (30x10 combined). I have an elac c5.2 and a pair of Sony cores. I watch a mix of movies and shows and play games.

I'd like to keep it around $200-300 unless it's not even worth buying anything at that point. For what it's worth, I don't have the most discerning hearing -- I tried a pair of KEF 100s against my Sony Cores and had a hard time noticing much of a difference.

Get the best low budget sub for under $300 (BIC-F12) >>>> https://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F...gateway&sr=8-1

Video: Optoma HD143X projector - Elite Screens Manual Grande Series - 128inch
Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100 / Amps: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
Polk Signature Series - S60 Towers for L/R, S35 Center, S15 Surrounds
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801
Roku 4, Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box S, Darbee Darblet 5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
I recently upgraded from a pair of Hsu Research VTF-1 subs (10", one Mk2, one Mk3) to two VTF-3 Mk5s (15"). For extremely bass-heavy movies, the difference was substantial. The most extreme case I've encountered so far is Blade Runner 2049. The 10" subs couldn't handle that very well, at normal listening levels. If I understand things correctly, the reviews at audioholics.com suggest that the VTF-3 Mk5 can play about 10dB louder at 40 Hz (mid bass), while providing useful response to around 20 Hz (vs 25 Hz for the 10"). Unfortunately, a VTF-3 Mk5 is much more than double your budget, even at its current "Father's Day" sale price. A VTF-2 Mk5 (12", $607 shipped) is the next best thing from Hsu.

I haven't found a comparable review for it, but the RSL Speedwoofer 10S has had a lot of support recently. It's still outside your budget (It's $400 shipped). It may be the prettiest of the sub $500 10" subs.

Others: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58078916

I have no personal experience with it, but some regard the Bic America F12 (12") as a good deal. It is not supposed to play low, though.

Sadly, low bass and loud bass are expensive.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Apparently the Polk HTS 12 is a very good budget sub and priced on sale right now for around $330.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2981
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
That's a fairly large space. IMO, you should consider saving up for a bare minimum of one:
- SVS PB-1000.
+1

And start saving for a second down the road. Or even better, save for now and get one with a bigger budget. Than more saving for second one, since it this Hobby. Patience can be your best friend.

Quote:

As my reply to the quote above yours. Waiting to get a better sub later, can be much cheaper in the long run. Since you do have a big area to fill.
In general sub/s try to fill all open spaces, unlike speaker that only care. Of their physical location, to your MLP.

If you want to stick to your present budget, read this Sticky;
List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)
All about subs, within your budget with links to all of them

Darth
d-rail34 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 06-13-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
+1

And start saving for a second down the road. Or even better, save for now and get one with a bigger budget. Than more saving for second one, since it this Hobby. Patience can be your best friend.

As my reply to the quote above yours. Waiting to get a better sub later, can be much cheaper in the long run. Since you do have a big area to fill.
In general sub/s try to fill all open spaces, unlike speaker that only care. Of their physical location, to your MLP.

Darth

It's a great recommendation to wait until funds allow for a quality sub. However, not everybody wants to drop 1k or more on a sub(s). Most people I know in the real world gasp when they hear of even a $800 subwoofer. I think being around this forum for a while puts a person in the mind-set of the people who spend a lot on their A/V equipment, when most people would never plan to spend that much ever. So it's always a good idea to at least ask the person inquiring if they would be open to spending much more now and/or down the road. If we just automatically tell them they shouldn't bother with a sub unless they spend X amount of money, then that could discourage the person from getting a sub in their price range that they may very well be perfectly happy with.

I had a guy I sold some speakers to a couple weeks back via Facebook classifieds. When I asked if he was looking for a sub he replied that he definitely was looking for one. I told him I had a RBH sub (which of course he had never heard of) and shot him a price of $450. He was taken back when I told him the price and he said he definitely wasn't looking to spend that kind of money.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:

With bass it isn't so much about what you hear as it is about what you feel. If you can have something that's capable of properly pressurizing your room and have decent output at 20Hz and under, it will greatly increase your movie watching experience. Of course, this comes at a higher cost.

Your room is 30x10 total with i'm guessing 8-9 foot ceilings, so that's 2400 cu. ft. (8') and 2700 cu. ft. (9'). Unfortunately, you're not going to find a $200-$300 sub that will achieve that, so if this is what you're looking to get out of your sub purchase, I'd recommend just waiting until you can get something that will satisfy this goal. On the other hand, if this ISN'T what you're looking achieve, then I'd suggest checking out the thread that was posted for the best $300 and under subs thread, as that's where you will get the best info on those.

And by all means, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a sub that's within your current budget. I'm just trying to inform you of what it will take to get the best results in a room that size. I say this only from what I learned through my research prior to pulling the trigger on my gear. Which took about a year and a half to do. So probably the best advice at this stage is to take the time to properly investigate your options prior to making a decision.

Hope this helps,

Darrell
darthray likes this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail
Bedroom - Blose: Cinemate II GS 2.1/Sony: XBR49X800E/XBox: One S

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-14-2019 at 02:47 AM.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
- SVS PB-1000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceatola View Post
Get the best low budget sub for under $300 (BIC-F12) >>>> https://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F...gateway&sr=8-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I recently upgraded from a pair of Hsu Research VTF-1 subs (10", one Mk2, one Mk3) to two VTF-3 Mk5s (15"). For extremely bass-heavy movies, the difference was substantial. The most extreme case I've encountered so far is Blade Runner 2049. The 10" subs couldn't handle that very well, at normal listening levels. If I understand things correctly, the reviews at audioholics.com suggest that the VTF-3 Mk5 can play about 10dB louder at 40 Hz (mid bass), while providing useful response to around 20 Hz (vs 25 Hz for the 10"). Unfortunately, a VTF-3 Mk5 is much more than double your budget, even at its current "Father's Day" sale price. A VTF-2 Mk5 (12", $607 shipped) is the next best thing from Hsu.

I haven't found a comparable review for it, but the RSL Speedwoofer 10S has had a lot of support recently. It's still outside your budget (It's $400 shipped). It may be the prettiest of the sub $500 10" subs.

Others: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58078916

I have no personal experience with it, but some regard the Bic America F12 (12") as a good deal. It is not supposed to play low, though.

Sadly, low bass and loud bass are expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Apparently the Polk HTS 12 is a very good budget sub and priced on sale right now for around $330.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
+1

Darth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
It's a great recommendation to wait until funds allow for a quality sub. However, not everybody wants to drop 1k or more on a sub(s). Most people I know in the real world gasp when they hear of even a $800 subwoofer. I think being around this forum for a while puts a person in the mind-set of the people who spend a lot on their A/V equipment, when most people would never plan to spend that much ever. So it's always a good idea to at least ask the person inquiring if they would be open to spending much more now and/or down the road. If we just automatically tell them they shouldn't bother with a sub unless they spend X amount of money, then that could discourage the person from getting a sub in their price range that they may very well be perfectly happy with.

I had a guy I sold some speakers to a couple weeks back via Facebook classifieds. When I asked if he was looking for a sub he replied that he definitely was looking for one. I told him I had a RBH sub (which of course he had never heard of) and shot him a price of $450. He was taken back when I told him the price and he said he definitely wasn't looking to spend that kind of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post
With bass it isn't so much about what you hear as it is about what you feel. If you can have something that's capable of properly pressurizing your room and have decent output at 20Hz and under, it will greatly increase your movie watching experience. Of course, this comes at a higher cost.

Your room is 30x10 total with i'm guessing 8-9 foot ceilings, so that's 2400 cu. ft. (8') and 2700 cu. ft. (9'). Unfortunately, you're not going to find a $200-$300 sub that will achieve that, so if this is what you're looking to get out of your sub purchase, I'd recommend just waiting until you can get something that will satisfy this goal. On the other hand, if this ISN'T what you're looking achieve, then I'd suggest checking out the thread that was posted for the best $300 and under subs thread, as that's where you will get the best info on those.

And by all means, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a sub that's within your current budget. I'm just trying to inform you of what it will take to get the best results in a room that size. I say this only from what I learned through my research prior to pulling the trigger on my gear. Which took about a year and a half to do. So probably the best advice at this stage is to take the time to properly investigate your options prior to making a decision.

Hope this helps,

Darrell
It's less a question of a having to save up and more a question of just not wanting to spend the money. Especially given that I'm in an apartment and might feel concerned to play it too loud.

The Monolith seems to generally be better (at least slightly) than the PB-1000, but I don't particularly like how difficult it would be to return if I decided I didn't want it.

I might consider picking up an F12 from Best Buy and just seeing how it sounds. I've also heard/read that SVS has a no-risk trial period where they'll even pay return shipping, so I might consider comparing an F12 against a PB/SB-1000 and seeing how much of a difference there would be to me. On that note, how much of a difference would there be between a PB and SB-1000? The general consensus I've gotten is the ported would be better, but I would prefer the significantly smaller nature of the SB-1000. Plus, a glossy black finish would fit in much better.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Another option to look at my be the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. It's $400, but gets good reviews, and is small and more aesthetically pleasing then some subs. It has free shipping, a 30 day trial, and free return shipping if you don't like it.

None of these subs will fill your large space to reference levels down to 20Hz, but it doesn't sound like that's what your looking for anyways.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #11 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123
Another option to look at my be the RSL Speedwoofer 10s. It's $400, but gets good reviews, and is small and more aesthetically pleasing then some subs. It has free shipping, a 30 day trial, and free return shipping if you don't like it.

None of these subs will fill your large space to reference levels down to 20Hz, but it doesn't sound like that's what your looking for anyways.
Based on the OP's comment in post #9 , +1 to this.^
darthray likes this.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post

Quote:
Based on the OP's comment in post #9 , +1 to this.^
I actually like the looks of it less than most others. I've been thinking more and more about aiming for a piano black SB-1000 from the SVS outlet, ideally if/when it goes on sale.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Especially given that I'm in an apartment and might feel concerned to play it too loud.
Ummmm...you could've led off with this info.

All kidding aside, I think you'll be much happier with the SB1000 than with the BIC. Plus, you could always add a second later on to give you smoother response and better output throughout the room.

Also, that piano black is extremely appealing. I have the PB12 Plus in piano black, and it is quite sexy. Although, it is a dust/fingerprint magnet, so you do have a little more maintenance with them. I clean mine with a feather duster (lightly) first, and then remove any fingerprints with Monster Screen Cleaner. This is the same thing that I use on my TV screen, as it doesn't leave any streaks. I apply the cleaner using a micro fiber cloth. I should probably using a polish, but this apllication has worked for me thus far.

Here's a pic (attachment) of my 130 lbs. of sexy.

[EDIT] Not sure why pics are oriented sideways, but it's just something to give you an idea of how the finish looks in a real world setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My PB12 Plus.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	870.4 KB
ID:	2579814  

Living Room - Denon: AVR-X2400H/Hsu Research: HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/Hsu Research: HC-1 Center (1)/SVS: PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung: UN65H7150/Sony: UBP-X800/PC: Built by D-Rail

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-14-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ummmm...you could've led off with this info.

All kidding aside, I think you'll be much happier with the SB1000 than with the BIC. Plus, you could always add a second later on to give you smoother response and better output throughout the room.

Also, that piano black is extremely appealing. I have the PB12 Plus in piano black, and it is quite sexy. It is a dust/fingerprint magnet, so you do have a little more maintenance with them. I clean mine with a feather duster (lightly) first, and then remove any fingerprints with Monster Screen Cleaner. This is same thing that I use on my TV screen, as it doesn't leave any streaks. I apply the cleaner using a micro fiber cloth.

Here's a pic (attachment) of my 130 lbs. of sexy.

[EDIT] Not sure why pics are oriented sideways, but it's just something to give you an idea of how the finish looks in a real world setting.
Yeah, that probably would've been a good thing to include from the get go.

Is SVS's return policy as easy/good as it seems like it is (including on outlet purchases)? That would certainly make me less hesitant knowing that I could return it if I end up not being able to notice much of a difference.

My TV stand, end tables, and coffee table are all glossy black glass, so a glossy black finish would definitely fit a lot better.

On an related note, maybe now would be a good time to troubleshoot my dad's 18" Velodyne (HGS18BG, I think).
d-rail34 likes this.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is SVS's return policy as easy/good as it seems like it is (including on outlet purchases)? That would certainly make me less hesitant knowing that I could return it if I end up not being able to notice much of a difference.

My TV stand, end tables, and coffee table are all glossy black glass, so a glossy black finish would definitely fit a lot better.

On an related note, maybe now would be a good time to troubleshoot my dad's 18" Velodyne (HGS18BG, I think).
I purchased mine from a member on here (barely used...less than 20 hrs.), but from my interactions with Ed Mullen/SVS President (also an AVS Forum member), and from reading about other's experiences with them, SVS's customer service is very easy to work with.

Also, whenever you buy from their outlet, you get the same 5 year warranty as when buying new, so that's a MAJOR plus as well.

And from the sounds of it, the piano gloss finish will blend nicely with your other furniture.

What's happening with your dad's sub?

[EDIT] I forgot add that the return shipping is already included in the price of the sub. Plus, if you decide that you want to go a little bigger within the first year of owning it, they have a trade up program in their Bill of Rights policy as well. On that you would have to pay for return shipping and the difference on the new sub.

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I purchased mine from a member on here (barely used...less than 20 hrs.), but from my interactions with Ed Mullen/SVS President (also an AVS Forum member), and from reading about other's experiences with them, SVS's customer service is very easy to work with.

Also, whenever you buy from their outlet, you get the same 5 year warranty as when buying new, so that's a MAJOR plus as well.

And from the sounds of it, the piano gloss finish will blend nicely with your other furniture.

What's happening with dad's sub?
There was some popping issue with it -- I'm not sure of the specifics (e.g. loudness, frequency, if it plays the signal otherwise, etc...).
post #17 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There was some popping issue with it -- I'm not sure of the specifics (e.g. loudness, frequency, if it plays the signal otherwise, etc...).
Might wanna start with trying a new cable. If that doesn't work, check around the cone/surround to make sure there's no splitting/cracking. If that isn't it, then it's quite possible that there might be a visit to the repair man. Although, it could be something as small as a loose wire somewhere internally. Or...perhaps hook it up to another receiver and see if it stops. If so, then it's the connection on the AVR...and then maybe a trip to see the repair man. Lol

Last edited by d-rail34; 06-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Might wanna start with trying a new cable. If that doesn't work, check around the cone/surround to make sure there's no splitting/cracking. If that isn't it, then it's quite possible that there might be a visit to the repair man. Although, it could be something as small as a loose wire somewhere internally. Or...perhaps hook it up to another receiver and see if it stops. If so, then it's the connection on the AVR...and then maybe a trip to see the repair man. Lol
Yeah, that's kind of why it's been pushed off for many years.

But it certainly seems compelling to put a bit of money towards that as opposed to buying a cheap and almost certain to be under powered, for future-me, sub.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of why it's been pushed off for many years.

But it certainly seems compelling to put a bit of money towards that as opposed to buying a cheap and almost certain to be under powered, for future-me, sub.
It definitely wouldn't hurt to find out. I mean, we are talking about an 18" sub after all.

I think you would be quite surprised at how well the SVS performs. They are also a very well built sub. Poor quality/performance isn't something that you will hear very often when it comes to SVS subs. Are there better subs out there? Absolutely. But you're definitely getting a great product.

post #20 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
It's less a question of a having to save up and more a question of just not wanting to spend the money. Especially given that I'm in an apartment and might feel concerned to play it too loud.

The Monolith seems to generally be better (at least slightly) than the PB-1000, but I don't particularly like how difficult it would be to return if I decided I didn't want it.

I might consider picking up an F12 from Best Buy and just seeing how it sounds. I've also heard/read that SVS has a no-risk trial period where they'll even pay return shipping, so I might consider comparing an F12 against a PB/SB-1000 and seeing how much of a difference there would be to me. On that note, how much of a difference would there be between a PB and SB-1000? The general consensus I've gotten is the ported would be better, but I would prefer the significantly smaller nature of the SB-1000. Plus, a glossy black finish would fit in much better.

Normally I would agree to go with SVS but because you said you live an apartment and you might feel concerned to play it too loud for me it's a no brainer
BIC F12 is designed to be geared towards movie watching and is very cheap to purchase under $250. You get the best of both worlds *easy to purchase and great for movie watching*

Video: Optoma HD143X projector - Elite Screens Manual Grande Series - 128inch
Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100 / Amps: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
Polk Signature Series - S60 Towers for L/R, S35 Center, S15 Surrounds
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801
Roku 4, Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box S, Darbee Darblet 5000
post #21 of 24 Old 06-15-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

And from the sounds of it, the piano gloss finish will blend nicely with your other furniture. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

What's happening with your dad's sub?

[EDIT] I forgot add that the return shipping is already included in the price of the sub. Plus, if you decide that you want to go a little bigger within the first year of owning it, they have a trade up program in their Bill of Rights policy as well. On that you would have to pay for return shipping and the difference on the new sub.
I had a chance to record the noise it makes.
It makes a sporadic popping noise that is a consistent volume regardless of whether it's plugged in and regardless of what the volume is set to.

I took a video but I can't upload it here.

It's also the 15" variant.

Last edited by djdwosk97; 06-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
I had a chance to record the noise it makes.
It makes a sporadic popping noise that is a consistent volume regardless of whether it's plugged in and regardless of what the volume is set to.

I took a video but I can't upload it here.

It's also the 15" variant.
If the sub is making noise when no signal wire is connected then it could be a problem with the amp. Most likely with older amps are dried capacitors that lose function and value. However, there are other possibilities. I just repaired an old HSU VTF-2 MK1 that was popping, thumping, and no operation. I replaced all of the caps and the sub works like a charm. Mated with my powered mains it shakes the floor! It's a ported 10" and my room is 13.5' x 20' and it opens to the kitchen and main hallway. The SB12 should work out fine for you given your apartment restrictions.
d-rail34 likes this.

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500

Last edited by WLDock; 06-16-2019 at 07:02 PM.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

A decent sound bar made by a tv manufacturer costs around $500/$600 these days and you are on avs asking for a $200/$300 recommendation for a sub that would fill up a 20x10 room? Hmm, interesting!
I’m not trying to sound like a snob but I think before purchasing a sub you should research on why do we need a sub, how low frequencies work and what kind of engineering efforts are required to reproduce them faithfully at a home environment.
For that space you need at least a pair of SVS PB3000/PSA V1510 or Rythmik FV15HP. So basically $2000-$2500. If you really care and respect audio saving/allocating that shouldn’t be that hard. Hope that helps!
post #24 of 24 Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I've ended up spending a lot more money on subs than I ever dreamed I would, but there is no way I would have jumped to the subs I have now from the start.

Everyone has to start somewhere and your taste for bass may grow more after you get a better sub(s). It's more expensive to take small steps up in capability if you keep craving more, but that may not be the case for you.

Ever since I started with a 12" Polk 4 years ago, I've made a sub upgrade at least 1 time per year. Each time I was happy with my upgrade for some period of time and then months down the road I would be looking for more. That's been part of the fun too, although more expensive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
d-rail34 likes this.

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page