Sealed Subwoofer for KEF LS50 WIreless - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2019, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sealed Subwoofer for KEF LS50 WIreless

Hi all,

Been following the thread a lot and found lots of helpful posts from knowledgeable people!

I recently bought a KEF LS50 Wireless system. The sound is amazing but it's lacking in the bass department. I have read in a lot of posts that the LS50s have serious bass for their size but it guess it was their opinion. I like a good amount of bass with my music so a bit of background might help everyone to give me better feedback.

The speakers are in my bedroom of dimensions 18.5 ft x 15 ft x 10.5 ft (ceiling height). Concrete floors and solid walls. They are sitting on KEF Performance stands. Now the thing is I have never heard a sealed subwoofer before. All my subwoofers till now is ported and I live in a country where auditioning is not possible, atleast not the subs I want.

I like my bass loud but balanced. I want to have the chest thump but with clean bass, not sacrificing the mids and highs. Occasionally I would like to have the headroom to crank it up for action movies. I've gone through tons of "Sealed vs Ported" posts and I think I would like to try a Sealed subwoofer since I will listen primarily to music with occasional movie viewing. I'm all in for their fast timing and no overhang. I'm just scared if the sealed subs will have too low of an output and too lean compared to the "heavy ported sound" I'm used to.

I am thinking of three subwoofer models specifically and I am planning to go dual setup (one for each LS50 ). They are:

1. KEF Kube 12b
2. SVS SB2000
3. SVS SB3000

The KEF Kubes because I guess KEF with KEF will blend in better? How are the SVS SB2000 compared to the KEF Kubes? They have very similar prices. I'm considering the dual SB3000 ONLY if you guys think the other two will not give me enough bass to satisfy my inner basshead according to my room dimensions (Pushing my budget quite a lot though).

I have tried the LS50 wireless with the subwoofer of my previous system ... DRUMROLL ..... Logitech Z5500! Yes the single 10 inch PORTED subwoofer crossed in to around 75 to 80Hz from the KEF control app and I was actually quite satisfied with that. For me any sub is better than no sub with the LS50s. So you guys can have a point of reference . I guess any of the subs above will eat the Logitech subwoofer for breakfast right? RIGHT?

Apologies for the huge post but hopefully someone with experience with these subs would chime in.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well no experience with the listed subs, but I will share this tidbit, when it comes to subwoofers brand matching in a non factor. And any ID subwoofer should wipe the floor with the Z500, especially down low.

But remember you are on a concrete floor which will suck most of the low rumble feel out of your subs. So you’ll need more woofage to compensate.

Now I’m all for sealed sub ultra deep bass room gain, but music doesn’t use that much like movies do.

Another tidbit I’ve heard from many of the pro’s is that as far as quality subs go there isn’t an audible difference between ported and sealed subs, the only real reason to go sealed is ultra deep bass (like 10hz and under)(which requires huge amounts of drivers and power) or for compact size.

Sealed I would recommend from my research maybe the Power Sound Audio S1510, 15 woofer should give more mid/upper bass kick.

You can also get the 1510df model (down firing) to stay at $1k should sound identical.

Do you have the option of free shipping from SVS to your country? If so I would demo the 2000 and see if it’s enough. But the reviews say it’s a pretty big upgrade to the 3000.

What kind of music do you listen to? If it has a lot of deep bass you may want ported.

The truth is like fertilizer, it’s crappy but it helps you grow...
post #3 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8577 Post(s)
Liked: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Hussain View Post
Apologies for the huge post but hopefully someone with experience with these subs would chime in.

Cheers!
Can you get one of the new Paradigm or Martin Logan subs with built in EQ.

They both use the well regarded Anthem Room Correction.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed Hussain View Post
The speakers are in my bedroom of dimensions 18.5 ft x 15 ft x 10.5 ft (ceiling height). Concrete floors and solid walls. They are sitting on KEF Performance stands. Now the thing is I have never heard a sealed subwoofer before. All my subwoofers till now is ported and I live in a country where auditioning is not possible, atleast not the subs I want.

I like my bass loud but balanced. I want to have the chest thump but with clean bass, not sacrificing the mids and highs. Occasionally I would like to have the headroom to crank it up for action movies.
A concrete structure and roughly 3000 ft^3 means you will need an awful lot of power to get loud bass and handle movie night. Given that, you shouldn't discount ported. Rythmik makes the FV15HP and FV18 which are not only clean, they're powerful as well. Their amps allow for a lot of sound customization so you can tailor things to your liking. JTR's 118HT is another potential candidate; it's powerful for movies and nimble enough to handle music well. Speaking of that, what type of music do you listen to? Depending upon your preference the subwoofer decision could go in a different direction.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page