• 2 Post By Bhudie

post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is PSA V1510DF right for me?

Hi Everyone,

I am currently shopping for a subwoofer to add to my HT system in a new room I'm building as part of a renovation, and am looking for some recommendations given I don't seem to be able to find anywhere to audition any of the sub brands that I hear about so often on this site.

In any case, the room is about 19'x15' with 9.5' ceilings, which gives me about 2700 cubic feet. It'll have 1 doorway to a kitchen but will have an actual door to close off.

My current equipment is as follows:
Receiver: Marantz SR7010
Mains: Polk Audio RTi12
Centre: Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds: Polk FXI A4
Sub: none yet...

From my initial reading I was settling pretty close to adding a PSA V1520DF, and from the reviews I figure it should suit my purposes nicely, but thought I would try to solicit some expert opinions before I pulled the trigger. Some questions:

Is 1 enough? (I know everyone says get a pair, but my wife is not as enthused about 2 of them... might have to slow play it if 1 isn't enough)

Will it suit my room/volume?

Any recommendations for a better one? It's around the right price, but I'm not totally opposed to stretching the budget if there is something
wildly better for a few dollars more... (not interested in a $3k sub though...)

Or is it already overkill for my set up? (I think I know the answer I'll get on this one though)

Thanks all for your time.

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhudie View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am currently shopping for a subwoofer to add to my HT system in a new room I'm building as part of a renovation, and am looking for some recommendations given I don't seem to be able to find anywhere to audition any of the sub brands that I hear about so often on this site.

In any case, the room is about 19'x15' with 9.5' ceilings, which gives me about 2700 cubic feet. It'll have 1 doorway to a kitchen but will have an actual door to close off.

My current equipment is as follows:
Receiver: Marantz SR7010
Mains: Polk Audio RTi12
Centre: Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds: Polk FXI A4
Sub: none yet...

From my initial reading I was settling pretty close to adding a PSA V1520DF, and from the reviews I figure it should suit my purposes nicely, but thought I would try to solicit some expert opinions before I pulled the trigger. Some questions:

Is 1 enough? (I know everyone says get a pair, but my wife is not as enthused about 2 of them... might have to slow play it if 1 isn't enough)

Will it suit my room/volume?

Any recommendations for a better one? It's around the right price, but I'm not totally opposed to stretching the budget if there is something
wildly better for a few dollars more... (not interested in a $3k sub though...)

Or is it already overkill for my set up? (I think I know the answer I'll get on this one though)

Thanks all for your time.

-Aaron
Oh... forgot to mention. It'll be like 95% movies/tv, not much music...
post #3 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
A little more info would be helpful.

Are you on a floating floor, or concrete slab? Listening habits, do you play at loud volume,,, are you a basshead, (feel the bass), or just wanting to fill in the lower frequencies? How many seating positions are been used?

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 617
If you are near Omaha NE I will be happy to demo my PSA V1500. Tom with PSA says the sound is identical. If not maybe post here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ts-thread.html and some one near you may have something to demo for you.

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: Yamaha NS-AW1, Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #5 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 8839
I have 3 of those subs in a room similar to yours on a concrete slab. I would say you will want 2 v15 subs if you listen to movies louder then mv-10 and you run the subs hotter then what room calibration sets them at.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry... some more info:

I'll be on wood floor glued down to a concrete slab. I don't often turn the volume way up, but for movie night I want to be able to, and I do like to feel the bass when the material demands it. As for seating positions, I'll just have a sectional in there, so 1 row, I guess call it 3 positions.

Joshua, thanks for the offer, but I'm just outside of Vancouver in Canada, so not close enough
post #7 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhudie View Post
Sorry... some more info:

I'll be on wood floor glued down to a concrete slab. I don't often turn the volume way up, but for movie night I want to be able to, and I do like to feel the bass when the material demands it. As for seating positions, I'll just have a sectional in there, so 1 row, I guess call it 3 positions.

Joshua, thanks for the offer, but I'm just outside of Vancouver in Canada, so not close enough
Oh no need to apologize,,, the more info the better advice can be given. To bad i dont have the PSA v15 as i live close to you. Based on wood over a slab and you want to feel the bass over three seating positions i would recommend a pair of subs as the end goal. Also if your handy you could build a small riser to put your MLP on, this would allow more bass energy (tactile feel) to be felt at your seating position. Possibly you may end up satisfied with one sub but to many variables involved to over speculate,,, (MLP position within your room/sub location within your room and MLP etc).

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 906
As a PSA owner, PSA subs are tremendous values and deliver the goods in spades. They also offer outstanding customer service and a great upgrade path (trade ins toward new equipment, especially important with large and heavy items such as subs). They are also the first subs I’ve owned that I didn’t have some sort of failure with (I drive my subs hard!). They are efficient, very high performing and are especially great in the bass frequencies most often found in movie soundtracks.
I’d recommend a pair. I think you’ll love these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I recently got that same sub for my MBR which is about the same size as your room. I would guess that one will be fine for you if your seating positions are that close together. Please post your question in the PSA sub thread for more helpful info.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-18-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 8839
Again it all comes down to how loud you listen and if you run the subs hotter then calibration setting will determine if 1 15v is enough.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all of the advice... I think I'll start off with 1 of these, and if I feel like I need more I can always try to convince the wife we need another after the fact.

Thanks again,
Aaron
zeuspaul and sk373 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page