83Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dual PB16 Ultra or PB4000?

Hi everyone,,
Which one of these two subwoofers will perform better in my HT room?

The size of my HT room is (2860 cubic feet - 13 x 22 x 10) with only one door and one window.

I want to get PB16 to stop thinking about a future upgrade, but one of my friends said it will an overkill to get them for my room! Is this true?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 3220
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP View Post
Hi everyone,,

The size of my HT room is (2860 cubic feet - 13 x 22 x 10) with only one door and one window.

I want to get PB16 to stop thinking about a future upgrade, but one of my friends said it will an overkill to get them for my room! Is this true?

Thanks.

No such thing as overkill. I have dual FV18 in a 2000 cuft room. If you want to get the pb16 then get it otherwise you will always be wondering and the upgrade path gets expensive. The pb16 will have an advantage over the pb4000 below 30-35hz. Get the pb16. If however it is a question of one pb16 vs 2 pb4000 then go with dual. If you can buy one pb16 now and add on later then that is what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #3 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5381 Post(s)
Liked: 10061
Quote:
Hi everyone,,

Thanks.

I agree with Ray! Bass preferences vary. What might be overkill for one person is barely enough for someone else. Dual PB16's are certainly not too much for a 2800^3 room. In fact, there are people in much smaller rooms than that with even more firepower than you are planning to get.

FWIW, I believe in getting what you really want, the first time, as a way to avoid marginal satisfaction and "what ifs". If you want and can afford the dual PB16's, I think you should go for it.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Hi everyone,,

Thanks.

You might want to also consider PSA, JTR and Rythmik. They have a much better performance per dollar ratio than SVS, and I've owned two different SVS subs in the past. I upgraded from an SVS SB16 to a JTR 2400 around six months ago and the difference was night and day (granted, I went from a sealed to vented sub but it was substantial none the less). And I am now upgrading again from the JTR to a PSA TV36 ipal which is only a few hundred dollars more than the PB16 (at the current pre-order price) but a heck of a lot more clean output.

Note: As Mike has stated above, try to get the best you can from the get go to avoid continuous upgrading as I and many others have done.
spyboy, GatoGoat, OMXP and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Dave Ol; 06-29-2019 at 02:58 PM.
post #5 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
You might want to also consider PSA, JTR and Rythmik. They have a much better performance per dollar ratio than SVS, and I've owned two different SVS subs in the past. I upgraded from an SVS SB16 to a JTR 2400 around six months ago and the difference was night and day (granted, I went from a sealed to vented sub but it was substantial none the less). And I am now upgrading again from the JTR to a PSA TV36 ipal which is only a few hundred dollars more than the PB16 (at the current pre-order price) but a heck of a lot more clean output.

Note: As Mike has stated above, try to get the best you can from the get go to avoid continuous upgrading as I and many others have done.
dear lord, here we go.........
post #6 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2418
If you are willing to spend $2500 on a PB16-Ultra, I would spend that same money on a pair of Monolith THX Ultra 15's. The Monolith 15 is very comparable to the PB-4000 and dual subs will not only increase the output, but give you a smoother, more even room response. Most cats on here will tell you that dual subs are the way to go and the Monolith 15 is an amazing performer.

I have dual Monolith THX Ultra 12's in my room that is just a little smaller than yours. I was playing the new Jurassic World movie a while back quite loud one night, all windows closed in the basement. My oldest daughter's friends came over and told me they could hear the rumble and bass from nearly a block away. The Monolith subs are top notch and nearly bullet proof.
Spewdom likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 06-29-2019 at 10:11 PM.
post #7 of 42 Old 06-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
dear lord, here we go.........

Excuse me? I don't know who could be more subjective than me. I'm not a fan boy of any brand. I've owned an SB16 Ultra and I've owned the original SVS PC Ultra which is very similar to the PC4000. I absolutely loved both of them, but wanted more. I now have a JTR2400 and now switching to a PSA TV36 ipal. As I mentioned, I'm no fan boy as I've owned three different brands in the past year. I said what I did (price/performance) because for literally a few hundred dollars more he could have a dual 18" sub with ipal drivers which some believe are some of the best drivers made. I realize I did not answer the question he had asked, but I also don't believe there is anything wrong giving someone ones opinion as I have already been down that route/rabbit hole - and I'm out a lot of money as a result of it. The OP can take my advice or not, but I thought it was worth it to him to share my thoughts with him/her.

To the OP, sorry to de-rail the thread, but take my opinion as food for thought - or not, your choice.
CallingMrBenzo and OMXP like this.
post #8 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
If you are willing to spend $2500 on a PB16-Ultra, I would spend that same money on a pair of Monolith THX Ultra 15's. The Monolith 15 is very comparable to the PB-4000 and dual subs will not only increase the output, but give you a smoother, more even room response. Most cats on here will tell you that dual subs are the way to go and the Monolith 15 is an amazing performer.

I have dual Monolith THX Ultra 12's in my room that is just a little smaller than yours. I was playing the new Jurassic World movie a while back quite loud one night, all windows closed in the basement. My oldest daughter's friends came over and told me they could hear the rumble and bass from nearly a block away. The Monolith subs are top notch and nearly bullet proof.
Is monolith sub better than klipsch r-115sw?
I don’t think that monoprice will produce a better sub than svs ultra!
post #9 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies, as I mentioned I want to know which model of SVS subs will fit in my room size, I already tried dual Klipsch r-115sw and I think it is a boomy sub at reference level volume , so I want to upgrade to dual subs from svs brand.
Can’t get other the other brands because I live overseas

Thanks again.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #10 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 03:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMXP
.... Which one of these two subwoofers will perform better in my HT room?

The size of my HT room is (2860 cubic feet - 13 x 22 x 10) with only one door and one window. ...
Both subs will work well in your HT room.

Quote:
... I want to get PB16 to stop thinking about a future upgrade ...
That's the real answer right there.
darthray likes this.
post #11 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

I am NOT a fan of Monoprice customer service.... but I'll say I had dual Monolith 12's and they do hit hard.... and they should as they are THX Ultra certified. At half the price I would give dual Monolith 15's a shot. Although I wouldn't want to move any of these monster subs around EVER again.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #12 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Quote:
Is monolith sub better than klipsch r-115sw?
I don’t think that monoprice will produce a better sub than svs ultra!
The Monolith is way better than the Klipsch, but they're both toys next to the SVS. Personally I've had bad experiences with customer service from Monoprice and would not buy anything from them again. I've also seen plenty of stories about trouble with Monolith subs and having to return the whole sub to get an amp or driver replaced. No thanks! I know plenty of people have gotten good working subs from Monoprice, but I'm not one to gamble. Also, they use HDF instead of the standard MDF, which makes the subs unnecessarily heavy.

That said, there are definitely much better options than the SVS. For roughly the same money, you can get into:
  • Rythmik FV25HP (dual 15" ported servo sub with 1800w RMS amp)
  • JTR 2400 ULF (big driver, big amp, low tune)
  • PSA TV36 (dual 18", 1920w RMS amp, low tune, actually you can preorder these for $2200, probably the best deal in subs right now) - this company is run by one of the founders of SVS, if that makes you more comfortable with them.
  • Seaton SubMersive HP or F2 with slave unit (lots of 15s in nice cabinets with a 4000w amp)
... and others I'm sure.

If you just want to know which SVS to buy, fair enough, grab the Ultras and don't look back. It's not the that SVS makes a bad subwoofer - they don't! It's just they have fallen pretty far on the performance:money curve, and at any given price point, there is a better option from a reputable competitor.
Kothoga, darthray, MaxTemp and 2 others like this.
post #13 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
The Monolith is way better than the Klipsch, but they're both toys next to the SVS. Personally I've had bad experiences with customer service from Monoprice and would not buy anything from them again. I've also seen plenty of stories about trouble with Monolith subs and having to return the whole sub to get an amp or driver replaced. No thanks! I know plenty of people have gotten good working subs from Monoprice, but I'm not one to gamble. Also, they use HDF instead of the standard MDF, which makes the subs unnecessarily heavy.

That said, there are definitely much better options than the SVS. For roughly the same money, you can get into:
  • Rythmik FV25HP (dual 15" ported servo sub with 1800w RMS amp)
  • JTR 2400 ULF (big driver, big amp, low tune)
  • PSA TV36 (dual 18", 1920w RMS amp, low tune, actually you can preorder these for $2200, probably the best deal in subs right now) - this company is run by one of the founders of SVS, if that makes you more comfortable with them.
  • Seaton SubMersive HP or F2 with slave unit (lots of 15s in nice cabinets with a 4000w amp)
... and others I'm sure.

If you just want to know which SVS to buy, fair enough, grab the Ultras and don't look back. It's not the that SVS makes a bad subwoofer - they don't! It's just they have fallen pretty far on the performance:money curve, and at any given price point, there is a better option from a reputable competitor.

Very well said!!! I loved my SVS's and they are great subs. But there are better options. However, it you are overseas and SVS is your only option the Ultras will serve you well.
GatoGoat likes this.
post #14 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5381 Post(s)
Liked: 10061
Quote:
Thank you guys for your replies, as I mentioned I want to know which model of SVS subs will fit in my room size, I already tried dual Klipsch r-115sw and I think it is a boomy sub at reference level volume , so I want to upgrade to dual subs from svs brand.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I think that everyone who has posted on your thread has tried to be helpful, and I agree with much that has been said. But, in an effort to be helpful, some of the posts may come across as damning the SVS subs with faint praise, and that's really not fair. Two PB16's in a 2800^3 room will be terrific! Not just good, but really excellent!

Could you achieve even more SPL, for about the same amount of money, if you had access to other brands? Sure! But, we could say the same thing about nearly any car you chose to buy. There's always more horsepower available somewhere. The real question is how much is enough for your specific purposes? After all, you started out worrying about potential overkill.

To put this in perspective, a single PB16 has more SPL at 16Hz than a Cap 2400ULF. And, dual PB16's have more than twice as much as that single Cap 2400. At 12.5Hz and below, the single Cap 2400 has the advantage even over dual PB16's, but room gain will help to give you more SPL <20Hz in that size room. And, good performance into the low to mid-teens is enough for 99.9% of even the people who post on AVS. With good dual subs of almost any type, in a 2800^3 room, having sufficient undistorted mid-bass is also typically not an issue.

If you did have access to other brands of subs, it would be fun to compare performance, features, and costs in order to pick the "ideal" subwoofer. But, the reality is that once you achieve really satisfactory performance from a subwoofer, the concept of "ideal" becomes a bit of an abstraction. Just as it does with cars in the analogy used earlier.

I absolutely think that you will enjoy your PB16's, and that's all that is really important!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #15 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I think that everyone who has posted on your thread has tried to be helpful, and I agree with much that has been said. But, in an effort to be helpful, some of the posts may come across as damning the SVS subs with faint praise, and that's really not fair.
I think it's perfectly fair. The PB16 Ultra is a great ~$2000 subwoofer, selling for $2500.
Liquid$team and Dave Ol like this.
post #16 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 3220
I agree with Mike. When I heard the pb16 it reminded me a lot of the Cap 2400. It is an excellent sub with great looks, customer service, bullet proof driver, and great power. For your situation the SVS is a good choice. What they might give up in performance to some other brands, they make up most of it in other areas. The driver seemed rock solid with great excursion and power, I was completely impressed with it and I have heard many subs. Don’t guess yourself, the SVS is a great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toddct, OMXP, DarkEnigma and 3 others like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #17 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies , I guess I will get PB16, it is the only option available in the market to upgrade from Klipsch 15" subwoofer.
There is another brand available (Procella P122 subwoofer) but I didn't think about it

thanks again.
ratbuddy, Dave Ol and mthomas47 like this.
post #18 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 610
^^^^^ Good choice!

At the risk of being obviously redundant, I agree with Mike, Ray and the others suggesting the PB16. It's a great sub and SVS is a great company. Rest assured if you have any issues, their customers service is top notch and their subs are generally bullet proof. While the other posters have good intentions suggesting several options, you don't really have that choice being overseas so I would just focus on the SVS offerings. The price/performance issue is only one aspect of sub choice and while that is certainly important for some, it is not the only aspect when choosing. And in your case, the old adage "beggers can't be choosers" kind of comes to mind. In your case, buying SVS is a very solid decision. In all honesty, had I bought PB16s right off the bat, I might not have the subs I have now.

Now, besides the fact you have somewhat narrowed your choice of the PB16 by mitigating the "what ifs", I'll add a different reason. I had the SB13 and the SB16 (sealed versions of your choice) and noticed a bit of heaviness, weight, thicker sound to the SB16 than the SB13. If that holds true to the PBs and that is something you like, then that might help you seal the decision on the PB16. It will likely have a more powerful sound than the PB4000. Aside from that, having dual PB16 will give you tons of clean output and they will be cruising along, which is a good thing. And when the need arises, you can just get crazy with them.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Todd
imureh, Dave Ol, darthray and 3 others like this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Last edited by toddct; 06-30-2019 at 08:50 AM.
post #19 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you guys for your replies , I guess I will get PB16, it is the only option available in the market to upgrade from Klipsch 15" subwoofer.
There is another brand available (Procella P122 subwoofer) but I didn't think about it

thanks again.
If it's what you have available, it's what you have available. The Klipsch isn't even in the same league, don't worry about that!
OMXP, Dave Ol and darthray like this.
post #20 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:

Thanks again.
If you can afford it, go dual PB16-U and don’t look back!

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #21 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 2543
Go for the pair of PB16's!!! Very good subs that have huge SPL below 35Hz and are worlds apart from the klipsch in performance, durability, and imo most importantly, customer support. I don't know what the rest of your speaker set up is but if they have good capability the PB16's will be a big shiny cherry on top of a great sound system. Imo always best to have more sub than one may need (can always turn down and have tones of headroom) vs not enough where distortion and limiters are always pushed. Cheers!!

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #22 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I think P&#83;A ha&#115; dealer&#115; in Europe

It come&#115; down to &#83;V&#83; and P&#83;A for you then

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.
post #23 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:

thanks again.
Why do you think the PB16 is the ONLY option available to upgrade from the Klipsch?

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x Speakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Subwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #24 of 42 Old 06-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked: 2418
It's too bad you don't have access to Monolith subs. Do you have access to XTZ products? The 3X12 would be one to look at for sure.
GeoJustGeo likes this.
post #25 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Why do you think the PB16 is the ONLY option available to upgrade from the Klipsch?
Quote:
It's too bad you don't have access to Monolith subs. Do you have access to XTZ products? The 3X12 would be one to look at for sure.

No local dealers for other subwoofer brands, this is the reason for choosing SVS .

post #26 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
No local dealers for other subwoofer brands, this is the reason for choosing SVS .

Have you thought about import sub from the States? If it's possible, don't know where you are.
I have not heard the SVS PB16, everyone says it's a very good sub, but I heard the XTZ 3x12 which is very good, however Rythmik FV25HP is better! I am in Belgium and imported one from USA. @enricoclaudio will help you with all the details should you interested about import. One more option
post #27 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I think that everyone who has posted on your thread has tried to be helpful, and I agree with much that has been said. But, in an effort to be helpful, some of the posts may come across as damning the SVS subs with faint praise, and that's really not fair. Two PB16's in a 2800^3 room will be terrific! Not just good, but really excellent!

Could you achieve even more SPL, for about the same amount of money, if you had access to other brands? Sure! But, we could say the same thing about nearly any car you chose to buy. There's always more horsepower available somewhere. The real question is how much is enough for your specific purposes? After all, you started out worrying about potential overkill.

To put this in perspective, a single PB16 has more SPL at 16Hz than a Cap 2400ULF. And, dual PB16's have more than twice as much as that single Cap 2400. At 12.5Hz and below, the single Cap 2400 has the advantage even over dual PB16's, but room gain will help to give you more SPL <20Hz in that size room. And, good performance into the low to mid-teens is enough for 99.9% of even the people who post on AVS. With good dual subs of almost any type, in a 2800^3 room, having sufficient undistorted mid-bass is also typically not an issue.

If you did have access to other brands of subs, it would be fun to compare performance, features, and costs in order to pick the "ideal" subwoofer. But, the reality is that once you achieve really satisfactory performance from a subwoofer, the concept of "ideal" becomes a bit of an abstraction. Just as it does with cars in the analogy used earlier.

I absolutely think that you will enjoy your PB16's, and that's all that is really important!

Regards,
Mike
Just to clarify, The only point where the PB16 is close to a Cap 2400 is right around the PB16's tuning point which is normal for SVS subs...above and below that the Cap pulls away. 99% percent of all bass we listen to is a complex waveform of mixed frequencies. In most cases, only test tones target a specific frequency. That being said, a Cap2400 is going to sound like a pair of PB16's far as output capability with most if not all source material.

Now don't take this post as me disagreeing with you...that was just a clarification. I do agree that dual PB16's in a 2k^3 room should be reference capable down into the mid teens. That should make for a fantastic combination. Not to mention the PB16 is a great looking sub.
post #28 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Just to clarify, The only point where the PB16 is close to a Cap 2400 is right around the PB16's tuning point which is normal for SVS subs...above and below that the Cap pulls away. 99% percent of all bass we listen to is a complex waveform of mixed frequencies. In most cases, only test tones target a specific frequency. That being said, a Cap2400 is going to sound like a pair of PB16's far as output capability with most if not all source material.

Now don't take this post as me disagreeing with you...that was just a clarification. I do agree that dual PB16's in a 2k^3 room should be reference capable down into the mid teens. That should make for a fantastic combination. Not to mention the PB16 is a great looking sub.

I would say that for a good chunk of their pass-band the PB16 is a bit closer than you are giving it credit for and that they are actually fairly competitive, certainly in the 16 to 40 range, and up top where the 2400ULF (and 2400) pulls ahead, I would think dual PB16U's should have enough output for 99.99% of users (and in all honesty - so would a single!) Of course below the PB's port tune the JTR is the clear winner.

PB16U

JTR 2400ULF

Personally,for the same $$'s - I'd probably take the JTR's, but given that the SVS - includes shipping (both ways), piano gloss black finish comes standard, comes with SVS's truly stellar customer service, (plus the remote control, phone app, bill of rights etc etc) - the SVS is actually not bad value for money (all things considered)
CallingMrBenzo and mthomas47 like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #29 of 42 Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
OP, get the SVS. Trying to import, heavy expensive subs, potentially dealing with shipping issues and damage, the SVS is a nobrainer option. SVS has tremendous fit and finish, has the app, and very good build quality and support.

Two Pb16 would be awesome. If it was me I would get the SVS.
post #30 of 42 Old 07-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 8853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
I would say that for a good chunk of their pass-band the PB16 is a bit closer than you are giving it credit for and that they are actually fairly competitive, certainly in the 16 to 40 range, and up top where the 2400ULF (and 2400) pulls ahead, I would think dual PB16U's should have enough output for 99.99% of users (and in all honesty - so would a single!) Of course below the PB's port tune the JTR is the clear winner.

PB16U

JTR 2400ULF

Personally,for the same $$'s - I'd probably take the JTR's, but given that the SVS - includes shipping (both ways), piano gloss black finish comes standard, comes with SVS's truly stellar customer service, (plus the remote control, phone app, bill of rights etc etc) - the SVS is actually not bad value for money (all things considered)
You are correct. I was thinking of the 1400 which I believe the numbers were another 2-3db higher above 20hz?
jamiebosco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page