Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEAUDIO View Post
I PM'd you MDRUMS
No PM came through...try again? thanks!

Main room McIntosh MC207 Amps....Marantz AV8801 Processor....Revel F36 Concerta2 And Revel Subs....Panasonic BluRay BDT500....Sony 85"4k
Listening Room Schiit Saga+ Pre-Amp....JBL 308P Active Studio Monitors....Apple MacBook Pro....Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC....Mogami Cables....Sony 65"
post #33 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The peanut gallery wants you to buy the Monoprice. To hell with the budget and the delivery time
To be honest with you it makes no difference to me if he buys Hsu, Rythmik, Monolith, or Bose. I was just offering my listening experience between a HSU VTF2.5 and a Mono 12 since he was soliciting opinions on various subs in a specific class. He can feel free to take it for what its worth.

There's no need to troll and belittle anyone who offers a positive opinion on the Monolith by referring to us as "the peanut gallery".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ntwooki3 View Post
To be honest with you it makes no difference to me if he buys Hsu, Rythmik, Monolith, or Bose. I was just offering my listening experience between a HSU VTF2.5 and a Mono 12 since he was soliciting opinions on various subs in a specific class. He can feel free to take it for what its worth.

There's no need to troll and belittle anyone who offers a positive opinion on the Monolith by referring to us as "the peanut gallery".
It was a joke. Relax
post #35 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
No PM came through...try again? thanks!
check again
post #36 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEAUDIO View Post
check again
Nada nothing....I know my PM is working because I just got one an hour or so ago... odd.. I will PM you and try that.

Main room McIntosh MC207 Amps....Marantz AV8801 Processor....Revel F36 Concerta2 And Revel Subs....Panasonic BluRay BDT500....Sony 85"4k
Listening Room Schiit Saga+ Pre-Amp....JBL 308P Active Studio Monitors....Apple MacBook Pro....Audioquest Dragon Fly DAC....Mogami Cables....Sony 65"
post #37 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
You also get hit-or-miss customer service and have to ship the whole sub back if something goes wrong, while the others will work with you to send a replacement driver or amp as needed. I would skip Monoprice for those reasons.

While your space isn't that big, unfortunately, being on concrete, you need a lot more firepower than you would on a suspended floor. I'd consider upping your budget a little and starting with a VTF3 Mk5, or go for the Rythmik and also build a BOSS platform (instructions elsewhere on this forum, google it) under your seating.
Why would he need a BOSS platform for a 2.1ch music system?

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #38 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not doing BOSS platform in this room. I do not feel I need tactical feeling...a nice sub that will blend with these JBL Active Studio Monitors will work fine.
sk373 likes this.

post #39 of 44 Old 07-11-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
Why would he need a BOSS platform for a 2.1ch music system?
OP already responded that he doesn't care about the tactile stuff in that room, but it would be to help mitigate the dead feeling you get from the concrete floor. Doesn't matter if it's music or movies, rooms like that just don't let you feel the bass like a suspended floor unless you have massive firepower or help from a riser, BOSS, or maybe some other trick like putting your furniture on isolators.
post #40 of 44 Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just ordered the little Rhythmik L12 sub for this secondary room...I will see how it integrates with the JBL 308P active studio monitors and if I need a second sub or not. I am thinking 2- L12 will be what I go with but we will see.

Thanks all for the comments. My goal with this room is music 1st and I will acoustically treat it. I want to see how good I can make it sound on a strict budget....like a low cost audiophile listening room in 2.1 channels with occasional music concert blu-ray use
ratbuddy and sk373 like this.

Last edited by mdrums; 07-12-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #41 of 44 Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

UPDATE: I got my Rythmik L12 hooked up...listened for a while with my JBL 308PMKII speakers and The little L12 does real well. however at high volume I wanted a little more punch....and the L12 was working hard....so I just ordered another L12 from Rythmik...especially since I feel I will be crossing over to the subs higher than 80hz. i'd like to try 100hz and see gif I can get the punch I want at high volume.

With acoustic Jazz, electric jazz and classic rock the L12 is awesome. With more modern music, R&B, Reggae etc I think 2- L12's for my room will work best crossed over at around 100hz.
PlanetAVS likes this.

post #42 of 44 Old 07-19-2019, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
UPDATE: I got my Rythmik L12 hooked up...listened for a while with my JBL 308PMKII speakers and The little L12 does real well. however at high volume I wanted a little more punch....and the L12 was working hard....so I just ordered another L12 from Rythmik...especially since I feel I will be crossing over to the subs higher than 80hz. i'd like to try 100hz and see gif I can get the punch I want at high volume.

With acoustic Jazz, electric jazz and classic rock the L12 is awesome. With more modern music, R&B, Reggae etc I think 2- L12's for my room will work best crossed over at around 100hz.
You are the latest financial victim of the hobby
mdrums and doni01 like this.
post #43 of 44 Old 07-20-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
You are the latest financial victim of the hobby
Yep...but I’ve been here before...been away a while but it got me again. Once I get the 2nd sub and get everything set up and my Marantz av8801 preamp transferred from my main HT room I will report back and post some photos.

post #44 of 44 Old 08-10-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just to update....I bought a 2nd Rythmik L12 Sub. 1 L12 in my room was no where near enough for music that had punch to it. It worked OK at low volume but when turned up so I could also start to feel the music the single L12 was not working. I installed the Marantz AV8801 I had left over too and did Audyssey. Each sub is near the JBL 308's on a stand. I could move them over about 1-2' into the corner and gain more sound pressure. I will play around with that soon.

As usual the subs were turned way down with Audyssey. I ended up copying the eq graph fro Audyssey into the Graphic Eq section and also using the set distances. I grabbed my db meter and checked and tweaked level too as the subs were way off. I turned Audyssey OFF.

The JBL 308P powered monitors are really good...exceptional for the price I paid. They have a huge wide sweet spot and great sound stage due to the JBL M2 like wave guide tweeter. I had auditioned many many so called high end audiophile small speakers that cost $2k each and these powered JBL's are just as good. This is a cool low money listening room...fun project.

Next up is some room acoustic treatment which I know will greatly improve the sound and I will probably add some rear speakers and use a left over Samsom 120a single space rack mount pro audio amp to run them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page