Auto Calibration of Multiple Subwoofers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DonH50
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By Gooddoc

post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Auto Calibration of Multiple Subwoofers?

Ok... I feel like I'm either totally misunderstanding something or there is a gaping hole in the a/v auto-cal industry right now.

What I'm looking for is:

an external device (like a miniDSP) that you can send one subwoofer signal to, have it split out (discretely calibrated signals) to 4-8 subwoofers, and AUTOMATICALLY calibrate them (on eq, levels, distance, phase, etc).

Now, I understand you can do most of that with the miniDSP, but there's a whole lot of manual work that goes into it. That's totally understandable because the miniDSP doesn't even have Dirac live on it and it's CHEAP. What I don't understand (and this is the part where I hope I'm misunderstanding) but it seems like even the models with Dirac live on them aren't quite capable of doing that? The miniDSP website sure makes it seem like they're not, so I was hoping someone hear could quickly inform me if I'm right or wrong instead of pouring through every page in the manuals.

Last edited by javanpohl; 07-13-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6144 Post(s)
Liked: 5366
The DDRC-88A should do what you want.

Also, keep in mind that you will most likely not need the ability to set different crossovers for each and every sub, nor will you need separate delays if some of your subs are equidistant to the MLP. You should be able to use y-splitters for at least some of the subs, reducing the amount of outputs needed.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Check this thread -- REW plus free SW to do exactly what you want.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...optimizer.html
Gooddoc likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

This is what I use. It's awesome. Would be great to have an AVR integrated solution, but aside from spending 20k to get Harman's SFM, MSO is the only other game in town for bass EQ that is optimized across multiple listening positions. @andyc56 , the MSO developer, deserves an award for offering MSO to the audio community. An amazing piece of software.

Dirac has announced a module that may do the same thing, or something similar, but as far as I can tell it's still vaporware.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 07-11-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
The DDRC-88A should do what you want.

Also, keep in mind that you will most likely not need the ability to set different crossovers for each and every sub, nor will you need separate delays if some of your subs are equidistant to the MLP. You should be able to use y-splitters for at least some of the subs, reducing the amount of outputs needed.
The documentation on multiple subs with the DDRC-88A all seems to indicate that it can only output ONE subwoofer signal. Which is NOT what I'm looking for
post #6 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

Details are pretty vague, but if you have to input values into a DSP using that software, that's not what I mean by "auto-calibration".
post #7 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
This is what I use. It's awesome. Would be great to have an AVR integrated solution, but aside from spending 20k to get Harman's SFM, MSO is the only other game in town for bass EQ that is optimized across multiple listening positions. @andyc56 , the MSO developer, deserves an award for offering MSO to the audio community. An amazing piece of software.

Dirac has announced a module that may do the same thing, or something similar, but as far as I can tell it's still vaporware.
What's this Harman's SFM you speak of?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
The documentation on multiple subs with the DDRC-88A all seems to indicate that it can only output ONE subwoofer signal. Which is NOT what I'm looking for
The 88A has 8 outputs which can be used for speakers or subwoofers. In the docs you linked to, 7 of the outputs are taken up by speakers.

EDIT: And just to clarify what I touched on earlier...even if you have 8 subwoofers, chances are that a few of them will be equidistant to the MLP, and as such will not require any separate delay settings. You could probably get away with the 4 outputs on a MiniDSP HD (w/Dirac) and a few y-splitters. Just sayin....

Last edited by Alan P; 07-12-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
The 88A has 8 outputs which can be used for speakers or subwoofers. In the docs you linked to, 7 of the outputs are taken up by speakers.
Are you talking about this process? I think we may have different definitions of "auto-calibration" ...
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about this process? I think we may have different definitions of "auto-calibration" ...
No....you would want to only do the Dirac calibration and skip the MSO portion. The Dirac calibration is as "auto" as it gets, see the DDRC-88BM plugin page for more details.

From the process you linked to:

"Note that a single Dirac Live channel is used for all subwoofers. This is so that Dirac Live optimizes for the combined response of all subwoofer channels. (If separate Dirac Live channels were used, each one alone would be optimized but the combined response of all three would not.)"

There is a dedicated thread for the 88A here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-live-box.html

EDIT: After reviewing the 88A thread, it seems that I may be completely wrong about the abilities of the 88A when it comes to Dirac + subs only. Sorry for any misinformation...you should post your specific question in that thread and the guys there will probably have an answer for you!
darthray likes this.

Last edited by Alan P; 07-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
What's this Harman's SFM you speak of?
SFM = Sound Field Management, which is an extension of Harman's room correction software, ARCOS. SFM is a bass management program that optimizes seat-to-seat variability of bass response, something that global EQ - for example legacy Dirac - cannot do.

SFM and ARCOs is an auto EQ system, but not a simple one. But the good news (if you have the budget) is that ARCOS/SFM is done by Harman calibrators, not homeowners.
javanpohl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page