Subwoofer(klipsch R-115SW) setup problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By godfatherip
  • 1 Post By liffie420

post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Subwoofer(klipsch R-115SW) setup problem

Hello,
I have a setup problem with my new home theatre system (I bought it used).
Setup: Denon AVR-3200X, Klipsch RP-280F, RP450C, RP250S, RP140SA, R115SW(I used wireless setup, could it be an issue?). I will attach the picture of the setup in Denon and on the subwoofer (I think it will be the easiest way to present a setup). I have a quite small apartment - the distance from the subwoofer to the listener is around 2,5m (8ft). The sub is standing in a corner of the room around 40cm from the wall.
I think this sub will be enough for such a small room so I can not find a reason why I'm not hearing it as I want...
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	2591576   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	2591578   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2591580   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	2591582   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	2591584  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2591586   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	2591588   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	2591590   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	2591592   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	2591594  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Is that after you ran Audyssey in your room? -5 is a good starting point for the sub if so. What exactly are you missing?

Set the sub's Low-Pass to LFE and re-run Audyssey.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Is that after you ran Audyssey in your room? -5 is a good starting point for the sub if so. What exactly are you missing?

Set the sub's Low-Pass to LFE and re-run Audyssey.
Thanks, it is after running Audyssey but it was not set up by software. I did it by the information on the internet. Should I change on the sub-low-pass to 80Hz after running Audyssey? or because it is set up on the amplifier it should be left as LFE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromarcin View Post
Thanks, it is after running Audyssey but it was not set up by software. I did it by the information on the internet.
I don't understand the reference to "not set up by software". Did you place the microphone and run Audyssey in your room? If not, you need to do that. And what do you feel you are missing from the sub at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromarcin
Should I change on the sub-low-pass to 80Hz after running Audyssey? or because it is set up on the amplifier it should be left as LFE.
You should leave the Low-Pass on LFE on the subwoofer.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't understand the reference to "not set up by software". Did you place the microphone and run Audyssey in your room? If not, you need to do that. And what do you feel you are missing from the sub at this point?

You should leave the Low-Pass on LFE on the subwoofer.
I set up -5 by myself (based on the information on the internet). Yes, I run Audyssey but I will re-run it as you recommended with new setup on the subwoofer.

What am I missing, for example on the avenger's movie one of the first fight Spiderman, Ironman and Dr Strange against Thanos soldiers I believe that there should much be deeper and more hearable sound. Even when Thanos was fighting with iron man and was hit by a piece of the planet, subwoofer did not shake the house like I was assuming it would.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I set up -5 by myself (based on the information on the internet). Yes, I run Audyssey but I will re-run it as you recommended with new setup on the subwoofer.

What am I missing, for example on the avenger's movie one of the first fight Spiderman, Ironman and Dr Strange against Thanos soldiers I believe that there should much be deeper and more hearable sound. Even when Thanos was fighting with iron man and was hit by a piece of the planet, subwoofer did not shake the house like I was assuming it would.
OK, in your second to last photo above, it appears Audyssey set your sub level to -5. If that was from you running Audyssey then that should be fine (I mention this as you said you purchased the setup used, and we need to make sure you have actually run Audyssey, and these weren't the old settings from the previous owner).

So, I would do this:
* Set Low-Pass to LFE on the subwoofer
* Re-run Audyssey, taking note of where it sets the sub level (NOT where you set it, but in the "Speakers/Test Tone" area). Ideally you want this at -7 or so, if it stays at -5 that is fine.
* Running test tones/parts of movies, increase the subwoofer level in the "Subwoofer Level Adjust" menu until you find what you are looking for.

You may also find that your listening/sub positions are the problem. Search for "sub crawl" to make sure you have the sub in a location that works best (or at least better) in your room. If you end up moving it, re-run Audyssey, aiming for -7 or so after calculations.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, in your second to last photo above, it appears Audyssey set your sub level to -5. If that was from you running Audyssey then that should be fine (I mention this as you said you purchased the setup used, and we need to make sure you have actually run Audyssey, and these weren't the old settings from the previous owner).

So, I would do this:
* Re-run Audyssey, taking note of where it sets the sub level (NOT where you set it, but in the "Speakers/Test Tone" area). Ideally you want this at -7 or so, if it stays at -5 that is fine.
* Running test tones/parts of movies, increase the subwoofer level in the "Subwoofer Level Adjust" menu until you find what you are looking for.

You may also find that your listening/sub positions are the problem. Search for "sub crawl" to make sure you have the sub in a location that works best (or at least better) in your room. If you end up moving it, re-run Audyssey, aiming for -7 or so after calculations.
Thank you very much! I will run Audyssey tomorrow and let's see where are we.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, I would do this:

So I re-run Audyssey and those are the values which I got. Is that strange for you? I have like 2,5M to the subwoofer. The subwoofer distance was setup on 23feets and -11dB? I think something is wrong. What should I do now what is your recommendation? Subwoofer level adjustment was turn on before Audyssey and it stays the same is that ok or not? Should I try crossovers on 40hz it seems very low.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3a.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	2592012   Click image for larger version

Name:	2a.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	2592014   Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	2592016   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	2592018  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
So I re-run Audyssey and those are the values which I got. Is that strange for you? I have like 2,5M to the subwoofer. The subwoofer distance was setup on 23feets and -11dB? I think something is wrong. What should I do now what is your recommendation? Subwoofer level adjustment was turn on before Audyssey and it stays the same is that ok or not? Should I try crossovers on 40hz it seems very low.
You can always manually adjust after the auto calibration, no?

You should really have your front/center crossover point to at least 80hz (some people put their center higher than their front L/R's). Surrounds tend to be set a little higher (90-120hz+ depending on the speaker, I think). LFE crossover for the subwoofer tends to be set at 120hz (and also turn the crossover knob on your subwoofer all the way to the max).

What is the volume level you've set on your sub? I don't think it applies when doing the calibration, but if you're not hearing anything, (and I don't mean this to be condescending) maybe that's why?

And also, as mentioned before, you might have to do what's known as the "sub crawl" to figure out the best positioning of your subwoofer - that could also be why the room calibration isn't really picking up your sub. Essentially, you place your subwoofer at your listening position (at ear level, too, I believe - at least that's what I did), go to your Denon's manual level calibration (I have no idea where that is since I don't have a Denon AVR, but it should be where you can manually adjust the dB level being output by the speaker), select the subwoofer, and literally crawl around the room until you find a spot where you are unable to localize where the sound is coming from.

This was all advice I received from people who are much more knowledgeable than myself.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-31-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 154
You set the gain using Audyssey?
All your settings look similar to mine. The only difference is my sub is not in a corner. Placement in relation to the center listing spot is critical, you never know what a room will do with sub fq's (well you can if you know math!) but any way
one more thing to trouble shoot, can you hook up a cable, long enough to eliminate the Rf receiver to see if it's that? It shouldn't be but you have to check stuff.
I would also try a different player to make sure some setting in it is not holding back on the LFE.
One thing about the Klipsch R115 I found, it eliminated a lot of bass distortion that I used to think was supposed to be there. That is why I love it so much for music.

Music, more music.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-02-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
That sub should certainly be able to shake the room, I've got the smaller R112SW and it has some serious punch (I also use the wireless kit without issue fwiw).

I've been told that auto-calibration setting sub distance longer than expected is pretty common and should be left alone (something to do with phase I think, idk the details). Since it is setting the sub at -11dB I'd turn the gain knob on the sub down a bit and re-run Audyssey to try to get the AVR to set its gain a bit higher. Sometimes in auto-mode if the signal is too low the sub won't switch on (I think in wireless mode it's even more common) and having a higher gain from the AVR can help alleviate this (but you still want it to be properly balanced which is why you turn the gain on the sub down to compensate). I'd try to turn the sub's gain down until the AVR sets it above -5dB (usually Audyssey makes you adjust the sub gain as one of the first steps iirc). Also you want the crossover knob on the sub turned all the way up to LFE to let the AVR handle the crossover.

If this doesn't work you may have a bad amp on your sub. The Klipsch subs have had some problems with their amps wherein they will switch off and not come back on properly. I experienced this with my R112SW, unplugging it and plugging it back in would make the sub work for a while but then it would go back to sleep and not come back on. If you pull off the front grill there is a little green LED that will show that it is on, if it stays dark then your sub isn't turning on properly. Klipsch knows about this issue and if you have a receipt showing it's under warranty they'll send you a replacement amp for free and it takes like 5 min to swap it out. I'm not sure what it would cost for the part if it's not under warranty.
nonametofame likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
post #12 of 12 Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Ok I think I see the problem, when you ran Audyssey it set the sub trim to -11db, and then you went and dropped the sub another -5db on subwoofer level. Boost the subwoofer level to 0db. Normally you want the test tone level of the subwoofer to be around -6 or -7 db, and THEN go to the subwoofer level from your 3rd image and boost it by +3, so in your case I would go to the subwoofer level and boost it to 0db. That 15" Klipsch sub is no slouch. Although I will add, that the Marvel movies tend to be kind of hit and miss on the mixing when it comes to bass. Try going to YouTube and searching for Bassgasm by Techmaster PEB. Its an old bass track.
nonametofame likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page