• 1 Post By Ryan Statz

post #1 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Best subwoofer settings?

Hello!

I just got my subwoofer today, it is my first "real" subwoofer its a XTZ 12.17 EDGE should be about same as a svs pb-2000 just a little better.

But how do i know what settings to use and how do i know if it sounds good or how it should sound when i have nothing to compare it too, i dont have a REW software and mic.

atm i have a 5.0 Klpisch RP system speakers front RP-280F, center RP-450C and surround RP-160M and my reciver is a sony str-dn1080 i will upgrade to a denon 4500 in about 2 months.

I have put all the speakers to small and put the crossover at 60 for towers, 80 for center and 70 for sides. should i put them all too 80?

The settings should be 100% for movies as thats the main point of this system even when i sometimes lissen to music

Now for the subwoofer itself i have no idea with all the knobs what to put where and what settings to use/put on the avr, and i have a really cheap thin no brand rca cable atm, i should get my blue jeans LC-1 sometimes next week.

Any help would be really nice.

Last edited by vampyiere6; 07-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 903
While I'm not familiar with that sub specifically, for movies I would stick with the ported mode , and eq/extension set to "ref" or whatever the deepest extension setting is. Start with Parametric stuff off and phase 0 until you start measuring.

In AVR, starting with everything small/80 is a good start until you start measuring.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 24 Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyiere6 View Post
Hello!

I just got my subwoofer today, it is my first "real" subwoofer its a XTZ 12.17 EDGE should be about same as a svs pb-2000 just a little better.

But how do i know what settings to use and how do i know if it sounds good or how it should sound when i have nothing to compare it too, i dont have a REW software and mic.

atm i have a 5.0 Klpisch RP system speakers front RP-280F, center RP-450C and surround RP-160M and my reciver is a sony str-dn1080 i will upgrade to a denon 4500 in about 2 months.

I have put all the speakers to small and put the crossover at 60 for towers, 80 for center and 70 for sides. should i put them all too 80?

The settings should be 100% for movies as thats the main point of this system even when i sometimes lissen to music

Now for the subwoofer itself i have no idea with all the knobs what to put where and what settings to use/put on the avr, and i have a really cheap thin no brand rca cable atm, i should get my blue jeans LC-1 sometimes next week.

Any help would be really nice.
I don't know much about tower speakers, but my particular set up with my 5.1 system is my Front L/R bookshelf speakers are set at a crossover of 80Hz, my center is set to 90Hz, and my surrounds are set to 100Hz. The sub LFE crossover in my AVR is set to 120Hz. The frequency knob on the sub is turned all the way to the max because as far as I understand it, that allows the sub to let the AVR control that (but I'm honestly fuzzy on those details). You could probably set all of your speakers to 80Hz (except your sub - that should still be set to 120Hz in your AVR with the knob turned to the max on the sub) and be just fine. What you don't want is to set that number lower than what your AVR's auto calibration establishes.

Crossover frequency is one of the knobs on the back. The other one is more than likely a volume/gain knob. I have that set to just a little bit past 50%.

That's my $0.02, but I would heed the advice of other people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
I don't know much about tower speakers, but my particular set up with my 5.1 system is my Front L/R bookshelf speakers are set at a crossover of 80Hz, my center is set to 90Hz, and my surrounds are set to 100Hz. The sub LFE crossover in my AVR is set to 120Hz. The frequency knob on the sub is turned all the way to the max because as far as I understand it, that allows the sub to let the AVR control that (but I'm honestly fuzzy on those details). You could probably set all of your speakers to 80Hz (except your sub - that should still be set to 120Hz in your AVR with the knob turned to the max on the sub) and be just fine. What you don't want is to set that number lower than what your AVR's auto calibration establishes.

Crossover frequency is one of the knobs on the back. The other one is more than likely a volume/gain knob. I have that set to just a little bit past 50%.

That's my $0.02, but I would heed the advice of other people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.
Even if I had the exact same equipment that you're using our room and personal taste would be quite different. Integrating a subwoofer/s into any room/system is unique.

For a single sub installation learning where your room modes can be very useful in finding the best location for the sub in your room and not the manufactures drawing. Go on line and look up Subwoofer Crawl Testing. The sub doesn't need to be placed exactly in the mode but the closer the better.

Unless the amplifiers powering your speakers are dramatically under powered I'd begin with running everything full range to begin with.

With the sub located and the speakers at full range on page 15 of the XTZ Edge manual the manufacturer asks you to use "XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro". If you feel overwhelmed by this your not alone. Fortunately, once you get everything needed in place and you do your first calibration you'll realize its actually quite simple and well worth the effort.

At this point you can experiment with speaker frequency limiting using the room analyzer and your ears. Remember, adjust to your taste.

For your next surround system I strongly suggest you look on page 8 of your klipsch manual. The speakers (disregard the sub locations) are placed equal distance form the listening position at equal hight. Using seven identical economical speakers in this fashion will require hardly any room correction and take your surround experience to an unbelievable level. Of course this is impractical but its worth doing for a short time to experience the surround.

Have fun with it.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-dB View Post
Even if I had the exact same equipment that you're using our room and personal taste would be quite different. Integrating a subwoofer/s into any room/system is unique.

For a single sub installation learning where your room modes can be very useful in finding the best location for the sub in your room and not the manufactures drawing. Go on line and look up Subwoofer Crawl Testing. The sub doesn't need to be placed exactly in the mode but the closer the better.

Unless the amplifiers powering your speakers are dramatically under powered I'd begin with running everything full range to begin with.

With the sub located and the speakers at full range on page 15 of the XTZ Edge manual the manufacturer asks you to use "XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro". If you feel overwhelmed by this your not alone. Fortunately, once you get everything needed in place and you do your first calibration you'll realize its actually quite simple and well worth the effort.

At this point you can experiment with speaker frequency limiting using the room analyzer and your ears. Remember, adjust to your taste.

For your next surround system I strongly suggest you look on page 8 of your klipsch manual. The speakers (disregard the sub locations) are placed equal distance form the listening position at equal hight. Using seven identical economical speakers in this fashion will require hardly any room correction and take your surround experience to an unbelievable level. Of course this is impractical but its worth doing for a short time to experience the surround.

Have fun with it.
The speakers i have on almost same height as i have the Rp-160M on stands but equal distance i cant as the side surronds are closer then my front and center as my room is not that big to the sides.

but the subwoofer i have a bigger problem as i dont have much space to put it atm i have it placed to the left of my sofa the other place would be infront and to the right of the right tower but a little more forward then the speaker.

and for settings atm i have all speakers set to small and 80Hz crossover. but now for all other settings i have no idea what i should do.

What should i adjust on the sub itself and what should i let the avr handle?

This is my first subwoofer and i am compleatly lost in what to do and what ports to plug or left open what settings to to use on avr and sub itself. the sub crawl i have read and hear of alot but atm there is only 2 places i can have the sub.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What should i adjust on the sub itself and what should i let the avr handle?

The LFE crossover in your AVR is recommended to be set to 120Hz. On the sub itself, turn the frequency knob all the way to max as that prevents the sub from interfering with the AVR's setting.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The LFE crossover in your AVR is recommended to be set to 120Hz. On the sub itself, turn the frequency knob all the way to max as that prevents the sub from interfering with the AVR's setting.
I can remember finding any settings for the LFE on my reciver could it be called somethign else?

I have the sony STR-DN1080
post #8 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can remember finding any settings for the LFE on my reciver could it be called somethign else?

I have the sony STR-DN1080

If it's anything like mine (Onkyo TX-NR747), it should be in the same place you set the crossover for your other speakers.

This is a great link on crossover settings: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/ti...or-a-subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 07-20-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

What would be the best port settings for the subwoofer if im watching 100% movies?

atm in watching mostly netflix as i have not yet bought a 4k bluray player but will most likley buy the panasonic ub-820 as i have bought some 4k blurays already.

now atm i have the left port open and right one closed for better low frequencies as the manual says is this good or should i have it in something else for 100% movie watching?
post #10 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If it's anything like mine (Onkyo TX-NR747), it should be in the same place you set the crossover for your other speakers.

This is a great link on crossover settings: https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/ti...or-a-subwoofer

In the crossover settings all i have is for front,center and surround and height but i dont have any of those but nothing else
post #11 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This is from the meny

Select [Subwoofer Low Pass Filter].
  • On: Always activates the low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 120 Hz.
  • Off: Does not activate the low-pass filter.
so i should have it on ON

But my subwoofer it self have a low pass filter too should i have that on off then?
post #12 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What would be the best port settings for the subwoofer if im watching 100% movies?

atm in watching mostly netflix as i have not yet bought a 4k bluray player but will most likley buy the panasonic ub-820 as i have bought some 4k blurays already.

now atm i have the left port open and right one closed for better low frequencies as the manual says is this good or should i have it in something else for 100% movie watching?

I don't think it would be any different whether you're watching movies, etc... so still set to 120Hz in AVR, turn knob on sub all the way to max. For your speakers, you do have a bit of freedom with that setting - as I mentioned before, though, it's never a "good" idea to have that set lower than what your AVR's room calibration sets as the crossover point for each speaker. For example, if it sets your front L/R to 60Hz, you would not go in and manually change that to 50Hz, but going 70Hz and up is fine as that gives your speakers more breathing room, and let's the sub will handle the lower frequencies. The idea behind setting 120Hz for your sub and 80Hz for your speakers is it creates enough of an overlap so everything smoothly blends together, and you aren't able to localize where the sound from the sub is coming from, which creates an all-enveloping feeling of bass rather than pounding you from your left or right side - at least that's my understanding.

Quote:
This is from the meny

Select [Subwoofer Low Pass Filter].
  • On: Always activates the low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 120 Hz.
  • Off: Does not activate the low-pass filter.
so i should have it on ON

But my subwoofer it self have a low pass filter too should i have that on off then?

Yes,if that's the option in your Sony AVR, that should be set to ON. The Frequency knob on the subwoofer turned to max (it's 170 for your sub) - this allows the sub to simply let the AVR do the crossover work. Also, turn the Phase knob to 0.

I don't know about the Low Pass switch on your Sub, but maybe keep it off? Same with the Parametric EQ thing - but other people with experience with this sub would be better-suited to give you accurate information on that.

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 07-20-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think it would be any different whether you're watching movies, etc... so still set to 120Hz in AVR, turn knob on sub all the way to max. For your speakers, you do have a bit of freedom with that setting - as I mentioned before, though, it's never a "good" idea to have that set lower than what your AVR's room calibration sets as the crossover point for each speaker. For example, if it sets your front L/R to 60Hz, you would not go in and manually change that to 50Hz, but going 70Hz and up is fine as that gives your speakers more breathing room, and let's the sub will handle the lower frequencies. The idea behind setting 120Hz for your sub and 80Hz for your speakers is it creates enough of an overlap so everything smoothly blends together, and you aren't able to localize where the sound from the sub is coming from, which creates an all-enveloping feeling of bass rather than pounding you from your left or right side - at least that's my understanding.

Yes,if that's the option in your Sony AVR, that should be set to ON. The Frequency knob on the subwoofer turned to max (it's 170 for your sub) - this allows the sub to simply let the AVR do the crossover work. Also, turn the Phase knob to 0.

The knob on the subwoofer is 30hz-170hz but nowhere does it say turn it to max to bypass, but then on the low pass on the sub that i can have on or off it is said to have it on off for LFE as the reciver will handle it

And for the gain knob at what should i start it on? the manual says that for home theathre i should have it at 9 o clock
post #14 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
And for the gain knob at what should i start it on? the manual says that for home theathre i should have it at 9 o clock
Then why would you not start there?

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #15 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The knob on the subwoofer is 30hz-170hz but nowhere does it say turn it to max to bypass, but then on the low pass on the sub that i can have on or off it is said to have it on off for LFE as the reciver will handle it

Turning it to the max just let's the AVR handle the work. I think if it's set less than that (or even less than the 120Hz), it causes some kind of conflict, so it's best to just turn it all the way up. It won't affect anything by doing that. And I would keep that Low Pass switch on the sub off as I don't know whether that would create any kind of conflict with the AVR's setting, and you're basically doing the same thing by turning that frequency knob all the way to its max.

Gain is set to your liking, I think. I have my PSW10's Gain (Gain = Volume) to about 1-2 o'clock (which is slightly over 50% gain level - 8 o'clock on my sub is zero gain, 4 o'clock on my sub is max gain). Start at the 9 o'clock position then work your way up if you feel as though you need a bit more oomph. You probably won't need to go much past the 9 o'clock position, really.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Turning it to the max just let's the AVR handle the work. I think if it's set less than that (or even less than the 120Hz), it causes some kind of conflict, so it's best to just turn it all the way up. It won't affect anything by doing that. And I would keep that Low Pass switch on the sub off as I don't know whether that would create any kind of conflict with the AVR's setting, and you're basically doing the same thing by turning that frequency knob all the way to its max.

Gain is set to your liking, I think. I have my PSW10's Gain (Gain = Volume) to about 1-2 o'clock (which is slightly over 50% gain level - 8 o'clock on my sub is zero gain, 4 o'clock on my sub is max gain). Start at the 9 o'clock position then work your way up if you feel as though you need a bit more oomph. You probably won't need to go much past the 9 o'clock position, really.
ok thanks for all the info so far. if i turn the gain knob more if i need or change any other settings i assume i would need to recalibrate every time?

And what port mode would be the best for movies?
post #17 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok thanks for all the info so far. if i turn the gain knob more if i need or change any other settings i assume i would need to recalibrate every time?

And what port mode would be the best for movies?

No need to re-calibrate if you increase the gain on the sub. Once you calibrate everything, you only really need to re-calibrate if you add speakers/switch to different speakers. You can adjust the speaker crossover points or increase/decrease the dB levels of your speakers without going through any AVR calibration process.

I don't know what port mode means.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No need to re-calibrate if you increase the gain on the sub. Once you calibrate everything, you only really need to re-calibrate if you add speakers/switch to different speakers. You can adjust the speaker crossover points or increase/decrease the dB levels of your speakers without going through any AVR calibration process.

I don't know what port mode means.

Since this is a ported subwoofer with 2 ports i can plug on or the other or both of them and that is supossed to change the frequences or if i plug both of them its more like a sealed subwoofer but normaly from everything i have read people tend to like a ported subwoofer more for movies and a sealed one for music.
post #19 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Since this is a ported subwoofer with 2 ports i can plug on or the other or both of them and that is supossed to change the frequences or if i plug both of them its more like a sealed subwoofer but normaly from everything i have read people tend to like a ported subwoofer more for movies and a sealed one for music.

I don't think it matters, but someone might have a different opinion on that. The subs I've had have never had that option - they've either been only ported or only sealed. If you're in a small space, having it act like a sealed sub might work better, but it won't be a problem if it's set to act like a ported sub. My current one is ported, and it's in a small 8' x 16' room.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
@vampyiere6
While some of the advices were good. I strongly suggest that you take your time, to read this a few time since there is lots to digest. When it come to sub/s settings;
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

While it is a long read, with lot's of information's. It will give a good understanding on how sub/s, react within your room/subs setting/AVR setting and other factors.
Spend some time to first read, then experiment with your settings. Setting a sub or multiple ones, do take time to get the best results. But do worth-it to get-it right, since you are going to live with-it for a long time.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 07-20-2019 at 05:35 PM.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
@vampyiere6
While some of the advices were good. I strongly suggest that you take your time, to read this a few time since there is lots to digest. When it come to sub/s settings;
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

While it is a long read, with lot's of information's. It will give a good understanding on how sub/s, react within your room/subs setting/AVR setting and other factors.
Spend some time to first read, then experiment with your settings. Setting a sub or multiple ones, do take time to get the best results. But do worth-it to get-it right, since you are going to live with-it for a long time.

Darth
This is very good advice.
darthray likes this.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
I had a look on the XTZ website and found graphs for the subwoofer's EQ and port tuning settings (attached), as well as information about the port tunings:
Quote:
Port Tuning - High frequency
With no plugs in the ports the subwoofer will provide a “quick” and “punchy” bass character. It will produce increased output higher up in the frequency range.

Port Tuning - Mid. frequency
If the left port is blocked and the right port is open, this will provide a bass with an increased output in the mid-region.

Port Tuning - Low. frequency
If the right port is blocked and the left port is open, this will provide a deep bass with an increased output in the lower frequencies.

Port Closed
With both ports blocked the sealed box will provide a dry and controlled bass character.
As your usage is mostly movies, I'd go with Port Tuning - Low. frequency which is when you only block the right port. And I'd set the EQ to "REF".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub-12-17-edge_5322064_Image2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2593032   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub-12-17-edge_5322064_Image1.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2593034  

Last edited by Ferrari_1996; 07-21-2019 at 07:14 AM.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 View Post
I had a look on the XTZ website and found graphs for the subwoofer's EQ and port tuning settings (attached), as well as information about the port tunings:

As your usage is mostly movies, I'd go with Port Tuning - Low. frequency which is when you only block the right port. And I'd set the EQ to "REF".

Yea that is what i have atm i tought the low freq was best too for movies but have not tried any other settings
post #24 of 24 Old 07-22-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Honest answer? You can't.
You may have not wasted money, because you have a sub now and it makes some noise, but you definately waste the sub if you don't measure and analyze it.

Good sound is always the result of engineering. And engineering always starts with measuring. Consumer industry and mainstream will never tell customers about that: improvements in room acoustics are worth roughly ten (10!) times the amount spent on equipment like speakers and receivers. For example: only $500 in room treatment is worth more than spending $5000 (fivethousand) on equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page