Should l keep the Earthquake MKV-12s? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By JimWilson
  • 3 Post By JimWilson

post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Should l keep the Earthquake MKV-12s?

I've recently purchased two earthquake mkv-12s for $575 each I thought it was a good deal. I've never had any other high end subwoofers before so I don't have any idea how it compares to other popular subwoofers recommended here in this forum. I have been using them for about three weeks so far and been happy with them. My question is since this was a big purchase and I have never heard of any other good subwoofers before, should I return them for the svs, hsu, or monolith subwoofers or should I keep them. Another factor that I went with the earthquake was the compacted form since I have a very limited space. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
I don't think you'll find many people who use the words "Earthquake" and "value" in the same sentence, but that price doesn't seem out of line provided they were new. If you're happy with them then not much else matters really. Did you take the opportunity to dial them in? What size is your room (HWD)?
Phamgia likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Jim, Thank you for your response. Honestly, I am pretty newbie to the subwoofer world. I placed them right next to my floorstanders (JBL Studio 590) on each side of my TV and used the auto calibration on my receiver for the setup. I mostly watch movies on Netflix and listen to music on Youtube. For music, the bass sometime feels a little bit too much so I have to reduce the volume on the subwoofers. My room is about 250 square feet which also opens to the kitchen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 02:38 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
Assuming a standard ceiling height of 8 feet your room is 2000 cubic feet, which shouldn't be too much for a pair of MKV-12's. However, you mention "opens to the kitchen" and that could present a challenge. Depending upon how large the opening is your subwoofers will 'see' that extra space and try to fill it. That's how they work I'm afraid, so there's nothing that can be done to change it (short of blocking off the opening). A larger sapce means the subs have to work harder to fill it and that can cause issues.

What you're describing may very well be what some refer to as 'boominess', where there seems to be a distinct lack of clarity or overemphasized bass. That can be the result of several different things with placement, incorrect tuning or too much volume (gain) on the subwoofer being chief among them. What I suggest is you check out this thread for how to rectify the situation. Mike, the guy who started it, created perhaps the most comprehensive guide to subwoofer calibration ever written. For someone just starting out it's probably far too in depth but I would suggest you skim it for relevant information. Once you feel a little more comfortable post your question there and the author is almost guaranteed to reply.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...

Last edited by JimWilson; 07-22-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2019, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page