Going to try swarm subwoofer set up. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ratbuddy

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Going to try swarm subwoofer set up.

I currently have a set of JBL 4319 which has its history as 4310. They are studio monitors and as a result they sound like studio monitors you hear everything, but they lack the physical presence on the low end. They have wonderful mid range and voice presence. I also have a pair of SVS SB1000 to help with the low end that is place under the main speakers. The mains are front ported and sit about 5 inches away from the wall, the speakers don't interact with the room much.

The room is 15wx30l with me sitting a little less then half way so about 12 feet away.

I place music as the highest priority.

I also want to eventually upgrade to JBL 4367.

Since adding two more subs is not that much more, the cost to try the swarm method is worth an attempt.

Should the two additional subs be ported or sealed? The SVS ported option is a 10" while the sealed one is 12".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
I wouldn't mix ported with sealed. I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but I also wouldn't even mix sealed subs with ported mains if music is the priority.
Alan P likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's best to combine sealed with sealed, and the closer the subs are to identical the better they'll mate. I always recommend another SB-1000 with an existing one or more.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by abj101 View Post
I currently have a set of JBL 4319
The room is 15wx30l with me sitting a little less then half way so about 12 feet away.
Generally rectangular rooms have a base null in the middle, so my thoughts are that you are not getting good base because of where you are sitting. The length is also 2x the width so it will have strong nodes (Areas where base is much louder and areas where base is almost all gone) Walk around and identify places with louder base, and see if you can move your seating there. Usually 1/3 - 1/4 up the room is good.

SB1000s are fairly weak in output compared with what the 4319 can do on its own/ I would expect you are really only getting more extension over more output. FYI SVS recommends the SB4000 for the 4312SE which has slightly less output than the 4319.

I just bought 3x4319 for my LCR and I find they have really strong base down to 40Hz and lower, certainly not lagging behind the mid-range if left to its own devices. I get chest-thumping when crossed over at 60Hz where the speaker is still doing a lot of the work.

Sub-woofers do not have to be and really should not be co-located with the speakers. Their placement is room dependent so your listening position is not in a null or node. The point of multiple sub woofers is so you can get better FR where one sub's placement fills in a void from the other. You also get more output, but not as much as you think 3-6 dB. Generally speaking 2 up front 1/4 away from a wall and one diagonally opposite on the back wall is a good starting point. there are other common setups including centered front/back or 1 on the side etc. The point of multiple sub woofers is so you can get better FR where one sub's placement fills in a void from the other. You also get more output, but not as much as you think 3-6 dB.

Sooo in conclusion I would think more about setup and placement first before spending money.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Not sure what the swarm method is, but two things you may want to consider are placing one or more subs near field, or very near field. In a near field setup, one or more subs would be within a few feet of the listening position, say to the side of your seats, for example. In a very near field setup, you would place one or more subs directly behind your seating position, within a few inches of your seating. Another thing to look into is the BOSS mini riser platform ,which you can find out more about if you search for the tactile bass or hideaway theater thread.
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Definitely get those subs out from under the speakers.

Your best placement option for 2 subs is middle of the front wall and middle of the rear wall. Make sure the drivers are turned 90 degrees from you so they are closer to the wall, and line up both drivers right down the middle of the room like pizza cutters.

Then, adjust your levels and delays accordingly.

I found in 2015 from my setup at that time, that this served two goals. One, it always got me the best measurements, and I moved my subs over nearly every square foot of my room. Two, I was able to hide the front sub behind the TV, and the rear sub just became a table. Major points were scored with the girlfriend.

It turns out I'm not alone with this finding:

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; Yesterday at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page