Help with Subwoofer wiring - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-23-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Subwoofer wiring

I have a new receiver, 2 channel pre-amp and a 7.2 in-wall speaker set. The speakers are installed in the wall and work fine, however I cannot get the subwoofers to work. I am going from the subwoofer 1 and 2 on the receiver (1st photo) via RCA to the Pre-am input 1 and 2 (2nd photo). Then from the pre-amp speaker output to the subwoofer (last photo) via speaker wire. I have tried multiple configurations of hooking up the subwoofer as there are no instructions with the sub (I paid nothing for them, so quality is not expected). Am i supposed to somehow use the 4 terminals to tie in the center speaker (3rd photo). Any assistance would be very appreciated. I tried to give as much info as I can, but please let me know if I need to provide more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_213641868 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	617.5 KB
ID:	2593842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_213738659 (1).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	2593844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_213901874.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	2593846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_213837424.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	2593848  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2143 Post(s)
Liked: 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschaedig View Post
I have a new receiver, 2 channel pre-amp and a 7.2 in-wall speaker set. The speakers are installed in the wall and work fine, however I cannot get the subwoofers to work. I am going from the subwoofer 1 and 2 on the receiver (1st photo) via RCA to the Pre-am input 1 and 2 (2nd photo). Then from the pre-amp speaker output to the subwoofer (last photo) via speaker wire. I have tried multiple configurations of hooking up the subwoofer as there are no instructions with the sub (I paid nothing for them, so quality is not expected). Am i supposed to somehow use the 4 terminals to tie in the center speaker (3rd photo). Any assistance would be very appreciated. I tried to give as much info as I can, but please let me know if I need to provide more.

Normally connecting an AVR Sub output, to a Sub input should work!

As far I am concern, you did everything right. Maybe a bad plate amp or a dead woofer

Darth
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Try to find a manual for your avr on line and get familiar with the speaker/subwoofer settings.

Your speakers should be set to "small" and make sure your subwoofer setting is not "none" or something along those lines.

The RCA connection should be all that's required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
Try to find a manual for your avr on line and get familiar with the speaker/subwoofer settings.

Your speakers should be set to "small" and make sure your subwoofer setting is not "none" or something along those lines.

The RCA connection should be all that's required.
Are you saying I don’t need the preamp? The subs are passive so I thought I would. I think where May have issues is with the wiring on the back of the subwoofers. The 4 terminals have me confused. If I don’t need the preamp, how do I terminate the rca cables with the 4 terminals.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 07:53 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Are you saying I don’t need the preamp? The subs are passive so I thought I would. I think where May have issues is with the wiring on the back of the subwoofers. The 4 terminals have me confused. If I don’t need the preamp, how do I terminate the rca cables with the 4 terminals.
The subs being "passive" is the key information missing from the first post. Also, I suspect you really mean "amp" when you say "preamp" because it looks like the thing you are calling preamp has RCA inputs and speaker-level outputs, which would not be the case with a preamp.

The way you would connect it is use an RCA splitter off of "Subwoofer 1" receiver output to the amp's (<- the device previously known as "preamp") left and right RCA inputs, then use speaker wires to connect the amp's "left" high-level output to one of the passive subs and connect the "right" speaker output for the other sub.

The Subwoofer output of the receiver is mono. The RCA splitter allows you to feed that mono signal to left and right of your amp so that each channel can drive a passive sub. If you don't have an RCA splitter, you can just connect Subwoofer 1 out of the AVR to the left input of the amp and connect Subwoofer 2 to the right input of the amp. If you do the latter, and your receiver has separate crossover controls for Subwoofer 1 and 2 (it probably does not), make sure both subwoofer crossovers have the same settings.

Last edited by pjp; 07-31-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
I have a new receiver, 2 channel pre-amp and a 7.2 in-wall speaker set. The speakers are installed in the wall and work fine, however I cannot get the subwoofers to work. I am going from the subwoofer 1 and 2 on the receiver (1st photo) via RCA to the Pre-am input 1 and 2 (2nd photo). Then from the pre-amp speaker output to the subwoofer (last photo) via speaker wire. I have tried multiple configurations of hooking up the subwoofer as there are no instructions with the sub (I paid nothing for them, so quality is not expected)...
And not received apparently! Anyway, some thoughts:
1) Yes, more information, if you list all the COMPLETE brand + model numbers of the equipment it can help people look stuff up. I can tell the receiver is a Pioneer but not which model.
2) The subwoofer has RCA in, speaker in, and DC in. That means there should be some kind of power supply to run the amp built into the subwoofer. It also means the subwoofer is pretty weak, and may make the sound worse, but hey it doesn't hurt to try.
3) Why are you connecting a preamp between the receiver and the sub? That should not be necessary. And no connection to the center channel either. Just RCA sub out on the Pioneer receiver to RCA in.
4) Did you know the receiver will have a speaker configuration menu? Subwoofer might be set to NONE and if so there would be no sound.
5) Did you know the Pioneer has room correction? They call it MCACC.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I didn't realize your subs are passive. I'm assuming the 4 terminals are positive and negative inputs and outputs.

So one choice would be to make sure your speakers are set to large and connect the subs to your receiver using the left and right speaker outputs, then connect the speakers to the output terminals on the subs. Take a look at the diagram at the bottom of the attached link-

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yr5MCN...2007/0327.html

Or use the rca output and connect it to an external amp, and connect the amp using the speaker inputs. The speakers would need to be set to small in that case.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Reading your first post again (now understanding that the subs are passive and that the "preamp" is really an amp), it seems like you have it hooked up correctly. There are two possibilities:

1. The AVR sub settings are not correct - as others have said, the main speakers should be set to small and the subwoofer level should be cranked up to make sure it's not just operating at a very low level, sub crossover should be 100hz or higher.

2. The gain on your subwoofer amp is not sufficient. Does that amp have a volume control and is it set to max? You have an amp and passive subs that don't go together, which is absolutely fine, but it means that you may need to artificially boost the gain somewhere in the signal path to the sub amp in order to get normal subwoofer output levels.

It would be a lot easier to help if you specify the brands and models of the receiver and the sub amp, and also the settings within the receiver (speaker size setting, subwoofer level, subwoofer crossover, etc).

PS: It looks like the receiver "Zone 2" output can be a preamp output for the receiver, so as a test, you could connect the sub amp to those receiver outputs to eliminate the whole subwoofer setting variable on the amp. If that works, then you know you have the Sub/LFE settings wrong. If it doesn't work, the you probably don't have enough gain in the sub amp (or the amp is broken).

PS2: You could easily test the sub amp by connecting the speaker outputs to your main speakers and driving the sub amp with preamp out.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Reading your first post again (now understanding that the subs are passive and that the "preamp" is really an amp), it seems like you have it hooked up correctly. There are two possibilities:

1. The AVR sub settings are not correct - as others have said, the main speakers should be set to small and the subwoofer level should be cranked up to make sure it's not just operating at a very low level, sub crossover should be 100hz or higher.

2. The gain on your subwoofer amp is not sufficient. Does that amp have a volume control and is it set to max? You have an amp and passive subs that don't go together, which is absolutely fine, but it means that you may need to artificially boost the gain somewhere in the signal path to the sub amp in order to get normal subwoofer output levels.

It would be a lot easier to help if you specify the brands and models of the receiver and the sub amp, and also the settings within the receiver (speaker size setting, subwoofer level, subwoofer crossover, etc).

PS: It looks like the receiver "Zone 2" output can be a preamp output for the receiver, so as a test, you could connect the sub amp to those receiver outputs to eliminate the whole subwoofer setting variable on the amp. If that works, then you know you have the Sub/LFE settings wrong. If it doesn't work, the you probably don't have enough gain in the sub amp (or the amp is broken).

PS2: You could easily test the sub amp by connecting the speaker outputs to your main speakers and driving the sub amp with preamp out.
Thank you all. I realized that the amp was not a sub amp. Once I swapped that out all was well. It actually sound decent with the cheap acoustic audio subs and speakers. I was actually shocked given their price. Someone asked which receiver, it is a pioneer vsx-lx302. The macc auto configuration is amazing. Now just need to tune my projector and everything will be set. Thank you all for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page