Microphone cable for subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Microphone cable for subwoofer?

Hi people!
I want to connect my subwoofer (energy 12.3) to my receiver (yamaha rx-v775), and searching for a cable, the guy from the shop sold me an amphenol for microphone and two RCA plugs (amphenol too), saying that is the best for the matter. He told to connect the shielding of the cable in the ground of the connector and the two small copper wires to the center of the RCA. Is all of this correct? Do this cable actually works for this, and is this the correct way to build it (shielding to ground, copper wires to center line)?
It looks weird to use shielding as ground, besides, the copper seems too thin.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
It may work OK, but it seems absurd to convert a microphone (XLR?) cable for a sub.

Here's the type I use: https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U...ra%2Caps%2C140

As others have pointed out, the central conductor in a cheap coaxial cable like this is copper clad steel. Not a great conductor, but the input impedance of the sub is typically tens of kilohms, so the losses aren't significant. If the steel bother you, it's possible to get a copper central conductor for abput the same price: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Hig...gateway&sr=8-4

Coaxial cable has good shielding. I'm using a 25' (8m) version of the Mediabridge cable, and it has negligible noise pickup.

I hope that "the guy from the shop" didn't charge you more for the stuff he sold you than you'd pay for a ready-made cable. You may have gone to the wrong shop.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It may work OK, but it seems absurd to convert a microphone (XLR?) cable for a sub.

Here's the type I use:

As others have pointed out, the central conductor in a cheap coaxial cable like this is copper clad steel. Not a great conductor, but the input impedance of the sub is typically tens of kilohms, so the losses aren't significant. If the steel bother you, it's possible to get a copper central conductor for abput the same price:

Coaxial cable has good shielding. I'm using a 25' (8m) version of the Mediabridge cable, and it has negligible noise pickup.

I hope that "the guy from the shop" didn't charge you more for the stuff he sold you than you'd pay for a ready-made cable. You may have gone to the wrong shop.

Sadly, I live in a place where there is no much to choose from, and to avoid shipping times, I bought on a local store (kind a mistake, maybe). I might have some coax left from an old cable instalation, but i dont know how good it is..
Anyways, if this amphenol cable they sold me is good enough to connect my Energy 12.3 with out looses, is definitly a win, otherwise it would be froustrating to not have it in it's full capabilitys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavit View Post
Sadly, I live in a place where there is no much to choose from, and to avoid shipping times, I bought on a local store (kind a mistake, maybe). I might have some coax left from an old cable instalation, but i dont know how good it is..
Anyways, if this amphenol cable they sold me is good enough to connect my Energy 12.3 with out looses, is definitly a win, otherwise it would be froustrating to not have it in it's full capabilitys...
Sorry, here are some pics and specs of the wire:

CA-A-BLK-100
Amphenol for microphone

2 Conductors Multifiliares 80/0.08 mm (AWG22)
Dielectic PVC
Shielding: Foil + spiral mesh (copper)
Dual PVC cover exteropr diameter: 6,8 mm
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
It's probably OK. It may not be necessary to use both center conductors (tied together), but you may as well. Using the shield as a ground is normal. It'd be the same if you used coaxial cable.

The cheap Mediabridge cable I've used (https://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/...specifications) has a lower capacitance, but that's probably unimportant if your cable isn't a lot more than 10m (33 feet) long.

I don't know where you are, but in the US, shipping for something like this is typically two days (Amazon). I avoid buying cables locally because the local retailers prices are usually ridiculously high compared to ordinary online ones.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
He told to connect the shielding of the cable in the ground of the connector and the two small copper wires to the center of the RCA. Is all of this correct?
Yes, that is correct. I’ve made lots of cables for my system using Canare mic cable. As mentioned, you don’t have to tie the two center conductors together, but doing so IMO it makes for a more robust cable. If one of the center conductors breaks, the other retains continuity and the cable keeps working.

Quote:
It looks weird to use shielding as ground, besides, the copper seems too thin.
It’s standard protocol. If you cut open a standard RCA cable, you’ll find that the shield is ground.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
jamiebosco likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #7 of 7 Old 07-25-2019, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
It's probably OK. It may not be necessary to use both center conductors (tied together), but you may as well. Using the shield as a ground is normal. It'd be the same if you used coaxial cable.

The cheap Mediabridge cable I've used (https://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/...specifications) has a lower capacitance, but that's probably unimportant if your cable isn't a lot more than 10m (33 feet) long.

I don't know where you are, but in the US, shipping for something like this is typically two days (Amazon). I avoid buying cables locally because the local retailers prices are usually ridiculously high compared to ordinary online ones.
I have no idea of capacitance, but the cable wont be more than 3 meters long. Yes, retailer prices are crazy here too, I'm searching some Stinger 12awg cable online right now, for the rest of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Yes, that is correct. I’ve made lots of cables for my system using Canare mic cable. As mentioned, you don’t have to tie the two center conductors together, but doing so IMO it makes for a more robust cable. If one of the center conductors breaks, the other retains continuity and the cable keeps working.

It’s standard protocol. If you cut open a standard RCA cable, you’ll find that the shield is ground.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I'll use both conductors then , good to know the cable is fine.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page