• 1 Post By JimWilson

post #1 of 14 Old 07-23-2019, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Limited subwoofer choices

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Polk Audio PSW10. I have a budget of around $1000 CAD (~$800 USD). I've looked around and it seems like best options in this range are the Monolith subs, SVS PB-2000, and HSU VTF-3 MK5. Unfortunately, most posts talk about subs when one is purchasing in the US, and living in Canada (Vancouver, BC) I'm seeing quite different prices and the existing posts are not helping me make a decision.

Here are the prices I'm currently seeing (amazon.ca):
- SVS PB-2000: $1080 CAD ($820 USD)
- SVS PB-1000: $675 CAD ($515 USD)
- Monolith 10: $920 CAD ($700 USD)
- Monolith 12: $1275 ($970 USD)
- Monolith 15: $2000 ($1520 USD)
- HSU VTF-3 MK5: This is not directly available for purchase, my only option would be to buy this in the US and import it to Canada. Given that it sells for $800 USD I'm guessing it will end up costing me somewhere around $1200 USD ($800 + $100 shipping to a US address + duty + taxes + gas), that's $1580 CAD.

In the $1000 CAD range my options are either the PB-2000 or Monolith 10. Researching online I only find comparisons between PB-2000 and Monolith 12 since those are at similar price points when purchasing in the US, in Canada unfortunately with $1000 I can only go for Monolith 10.

Everyone seems to agree that HSU VTF-3 MK5 is the best bang for the buck, but given the extra fees and the hassle of importing this (+ having to go to the US to ship it back if something is wrong) that does not seem to be quite practical.

I've also considered buying used Monolith/SVS/HSU, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding used/refurbs either.

- Budget: ~$1000 CAD (though I don't mind going above this slightly, if I really stretch it maybe $1500 CAD)
- Size requirements: Not sure, given my room size and habits I think a 10" is enough? I'd appreciate input here
- Future: I don't have a ton of space, but I'm open to getting a second sub...in 3-5 years time frame
- Room size: Carpeted basement, fairly closed, 13 x 16 x 8 feet = 1660 sq ft
- Primary use case: 90% movies, 10% music and games
- Listening habits: I won't be listening at super high volumes. I enjoy those loud moments with explosions, but generally I keep the volume at comfortable levels.
- Appearance requirements: I don't care...Worst case I could go the DIY route, but I'm not quite handy, and I also imagine I'd have difficulty finding pars in Canada
- Time frame: Not in a rush, can wait to make a better purchase

I'd appreciate help on the following:
- What size sub do you suggest?
- PB-2000 vs Monolith 10?
- Or is it worth it go pay more and go for Monolith 12? From what I understand at equal price points people generally recommend Monolith 12 over PB-2000.
- Or is it worth it go pay even more and go through the hassle for the HSU?
- Any other subs I'm missing? (You can look at the Canadian best buy bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/subwoofer-speakers/12611464 to get an idea of what is available, I'm having a hard time finding brands often being suggested in the forum: Rhytmik, PSAs, etc)

Thanks!
JimWilson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

I could also go for a VTF-2 MK5, it's currently on sale for $509 USD (vs $800 USD for VTF-3), which with taxes and other fees comes close to my budget. Any opinions?
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosuk View Post
I could also go for a VTF-2 MK5, it's currently on sale for $509 USD (vs $800 USD for VTF-3), which with taxes and other fees comes close to my budget. Any opinions?
All good choices, the VTF2 has more EQ choices but 2 year amp warranty vs 5 years for the other 2 brands.

Mind you I haven't seen any threads in the last few years pointing to amp failure issues with HSUs current range of subs.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
- Room size: Carpeted basement, fairly closed, 13 x 16 x 8 feet = 1660 sq ft
Is the basement cement by chance? If so that will factor in heavily as a solid material will suck the life out of any subwoofer. In a situation like that you will need to buy the largest, most powerful sub you can afford. You should probably focus on options that fall into your $1500 stretch range instead.

BTW, there was a lot of excellent information in your post. It makes it very easy for us when someone is as thorough as you were.
sigpig likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Is the basement cement by chance? If so that will factor in heavily as a solid material will suck the life out of any subwoofer. In a situation like that you will need to buy the largest, most powerful sub you can afford. You should probably focus on options that fall into your $1500 stretch range instead.

BTW, there was a lot of excellent information in your post. It makes it very easy for us when someone is as thorough as you were.
Haha, thanks! I'm asking for help, I might as well make it easy for people who read my post.

Yes, under the carpet there is cement. I've looked into importing stuff into Canada from the US a bit, and maybe with the personal exemption (up to $800 when spending 2+ days in the US) then HSU VTF3 MK5 doesn't end up being such a bad deal. I have to read more about this to make sure I won't be hit with surprise fees at the border. There is one minor issue with the big sub though, read below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
All good choices, the VTF2 has more EQ choices but 2 year amp warranty vs 5 years for the other 2 brands.

Mind you I haven't seen any threads in the last few years pointing to amp failure issues with HSUs current range of subs.
I guess if I'm unlucky and it breaks after two years I'd have to eat the costs and accept my luck. I'm also yet to find a complaint about broken HSU, they seem pretty reliable.

VTF3 MK5 seems to be quite heavy though, sounds like it requires more than one person to be able to handle it, loading into the car, getting it into the basement, etc. To make things worse I'd have to ship this to a friend's address to keep for me until I go pick it up, given the weight that's a big favour to ask Any chance these subs can be picked up in stores? (I'd be looking to go to Seattle, WA).

Thanks for the replies!
post #6 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
Quote:
(snip)

VTF3 MK5 seems to be quite heavy though, sounds like it requires more than one person to be able to handle it, loading into the car, getting it into the basement, etc. To make things worse I'd have to ship this to a friend's address to keep for me until I go pick it up, given the weight that's a big favour to ask Any chance these subs can be picked up in stores? (I'd be looking to go to Seattle, WA).

Thanks for the replies!
A VTF-3 Mk5 is fairly heavy. I haven't weighed mine, but I suppose that the value in the manual (76 lbs., 34.5 kg) is accurate. The shipping boxes are large: 29"H X 22"W X 27 1/4" D (74 X 56 X 69 cm). I was able to wrestle mine around, but I used a small rug to drag it around on hardwood floors.

If you're considering one, you might ask Hsu what it would cost to replace the plate amp. I have never done it, but it's typical that they can ship a replacement rather than sending the whole thing back. (Which would require someone at your end doing the swap.)

Last edited by bobknavs; 07-24-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks @bobknavs , that's heavy but probably manageable.

I know there is no easy answer here...but in your opinion given my room size (+ cement) and my use cases, is it worth to spend an extra $300 USD to go up from VTF2 ($500, on sale now) to VTF3 ($800)? With shipping VTF3 ends up being 50% more expensive.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
In my experience landed cost including shipping/Canadian bend over exchange/duties/taxes results in a little under twice the price shipped to your front door so the HSU VTF-3 MK5 will be around $1600 Canadian.

As Jim mentioned, been on concrete i wouldn't go less than a ported 15" and you could always build a small wooden riser to put your MLP on which will help a lot in improving tactile feel. The least i would go for is the 12" Monolith.

Although i didn't see anything listed on PSA's outlet page you should check with Tom to see if there is anything available in 15" ported. You still get 5 years full warranty and PSA's famous customer support.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks @bobknavs , that's heavy but probably manageable.

I know there is no easy answer here...but in your opinion given my room size (+ cement) and my use cases, is it worth to spend an extra $300 USD to go up from VTF2 ($500, on sale now) to VTF3 ($800)? With shipping VTF3 ends up being 50% more expensive.
Hard to say.

I went with the VTF-3 (two of them, really) to get the 15" driver and plate amp similar to the VTF-15H Mk2 in a smaller (and slightly less expensive) package. I was initially concerned about depth, and the VTF-15H I supposed to be 3.5" (9") deeper than the VTF-3. The VTF-2 is almost as deep as the VTF-3.

Hsu is accommodating, so I suggest that you contact them to see whether buying from them is sensible.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
As Jim mentioned, been on concrete i wouldn't go less than a ported 15" and you could always build a small wooden riser to put your MLP on which will help a lot in improving tactile feel. The least i would go for is the 12" Monolith.

Although i didn't see anything listed on PSA's outlet page you should check with Tom to see if there is anything available in 15" ported. You still get 5 years full warranty and PSA's famous customer support.
Thanks a lot. I'm seriously considering the 15" now. I'll check the outlet as well, any particular models you suggest I should be looking for? Who is Tom and how do I get in touch with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Hsu is accommodating, so I suggest that you contact them to see whether buying from them is sensible.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I understand correctly you are suggesting I get in touch with HSU to get them to mix and match and give me something that is more suitable for my needs that hopefully will be cheaper. If so, I'm not actually sure how to go about doing that, I don't have the knowledge and I'm not even sure where to start and what to tell HSU other than what I have said in this post. Is this something I can take to HSU and have them give me more guidance? Or would I have to be more specific about what I need when I talk to them?

On a related note, just making sure I understand what I'm getting with a larger sub, I don't necessary have to go louder to get good bass and quality. I do not intend to shake my house, but it still makes sense to go with the larger sub because it gets me better bass and quality at the same overall sound level? (I'm happy to read more about this if you know of a good resource/link that explains)

Thanks again for the replies!
post #11 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
Either one of the vented 15"s will be good. PSA vendor link at the very bottom of any page, just click Tom will either start live chat or if he's to busy for live chat, call him.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 158
HSU offers a 3 year extension on the electronics warranty in the VTF-3 for $70. Total of 5 years.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
On a related note, just making sure I understand what I'm getting with a larger sub, I don't necessary have to go louder to get good bass and quality. I do not intend to shake my house, but it still makes sense to go with the larger sub because it gets me better bass and quality at the same overall sound level? (I'm happy to read more about this if you know of a good resource/link that explains)
The more expensive subs provide additional output (volume), extension (deep bass) and dynamics (essentially the difference between the softest and loudest notes/sounds). All those add to your listening pleasure, but in this case you need the 'size matters' part to overcome what a cement structure will take away. Most enjoy their subwoofer(s) because they provide some physical sensations, but a basement robs you of that. Brute force is required to get it back.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #14 of 14 Old 07-24-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
(snip)

Thanks for the suggestion. If I understand correctly you are suggesting I get in touch with HSU to get them to mix and match and give me something that is more suitable for my needs that hopefully will be cheaper.

(snip)
No, I was thinking that they may have some experience with shipping and customs charges for Canadian customers. There may be a better idea than shipping to near the US border and personally transporting the sub the rest of the way personally.

It's always possible that it may be overly expensive compared to sourcing a sub in Canada, and that it would make little sense to do business with Hsu. I think that they make good products, but they are mainly known for quality relative to price. Double the price, and the attractiveness would disappear.

(That, from a mostly-Hsu system owner. 7.2.4: CCB-8s for LCR, HB-1 Mk 2 for 4 surrounds, and two VTF-3 Mk5 subs. The overheads are SVS Prime Satellites.)

Last edited by bobknavs; 07-24-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page