Limited subwoofer choices
I'm looking to upgrade my Polk Audio PSW10. I have a budget of around $1000 CAD (~$800 USD). I've looked around and it seems like best options in this range are the Monolith subs, SVS PB-2000, and HSU VTF-3 MK5. Unfortunately, most posts talk about subs when one is purchasing in the US, and living in Canada (Vancouver, BC) I'm seeing quite different prices and the existing posts are not helping me make a decision.
Here are the prices I'm currently seeing (amazon.ca):
- SVS PB-2000: $1080 CAD ($820 USD)
- SVS PB-1000: $675 CAD ($515 USD)
- Monolith 10: $920 CAD ($700 USD)
- Monolith 12: $1275 ($970 USD)
- Monolith 15: $2000 ($1520 USD)
- HSU VTF-3 MK5: This is not directly available for purchase, my only option would be to buy this in the US and import it to Canada. Given that it sells for $800 USD I'm guessing it will end up costing me somewhere around $1200 USD ($800 + $100 shipping to a US address + duty + taxes + gas), that's $1580 CAD.
In the $1000 CAD range my options are either the PB-2000 or Monolith 10. Researching online I only find comparisons between PB-2000 and Monolith 12 since those are at similar price points when purchasing in the US, in Canada unfortunately with $1000 I can only go for Monolith 10.
Everyone seems to agree that HSU VTF-3 MK5 is the best bang for the buck, but given the extra fees and the hassle of importing this (+ having to go to the US to ship it back if something is wrong) that does not seem to be quite practical.
I've also considered buying used Monolith/SVS/HSU, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding used/refurbs either.
- Budget: ~$1000 CAD (though I don't mind going above this slightly, if I really stretch it maybe $1500 CAD)
- Size requirements: Not sure, given my room size and habits I think a 10" is enough? I'd appreciate input here
- Future: I don't have a ton of space, but I'm open to getting a second sub...in 3-5 years time frame
- Room size: Carpeted basement, fairly closed, 13 x 16 x 8 feet = 1660 sq ft
- Primary use case: 90% movies, 10% music and games
- Listening habits: I won't be listening at super high volumes. I enjoy those loud moments with explosions, but generally I keep the volume at comfortable levels.
- Appearance requirements: I don't care...Worst case I could go the DIY route, but I'm not quite handy, and I also imagine I'd have difficulty finding pars in Canada
- Time frame: Not in a rush, can wait to make a better purchase
I'd appreciate help on the following:
- What size sub do you suggest?
- PB-2000 vs Monolith 10?
- Or is it worth it go pay more and go for Monolith 12? From what I understand at equal price points people generally recommend Monolith 12 over PB-2000.
- Or is it worth it go pay even more and go through the hassle for the HSU?
- Any other subs I'm missing? (You can look at the Canadian best buy bestbuy.ca/en-ca/category/subwoofer-speakers/12611464 to get an idea of what is available, I'm having a hard time finding brands often being suggested in the forum: Rhytmik, PSAs, etc)