SVS 3000 - Which one will shake the house SB or PB - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
  • 3 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By djwpar3
  • 3 Post By bobknavs
  • 3 Post By kelly.mcaloney
  • 2 Post By CallingMrBenzo
  • 2 Post By kelly.mcaloney
  • 1 Post By julitro
  • 6 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By julitro
  • 1 Post By julitro
  • 1 Post By julitro

post #1 of 30 Old 07-25-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Exclamation SVS 3000 - Which one will shake the house SB or PB

1. Your budget.:

2. Size requirements/limits.
Doesnt matter

3. Room dimensions.
I have a Loft house, the room will be an open room of 60 cubic meters without 1 wall which opens to the open 2 floors area... which has a size of: 560.

4. Primary uses
60% Music
40% Movies

5. Listening habits.
Loud! i like to feel the base!!
Rap, House, any other electronic music, Regueton (lot of you will say thats not music ) Heavy Metal (ACDC, Metallica and such.)

6. Appearance requirements.
To look pro.

7. Timeframe.
Doesnt matter, just dont want to wait a year

MY PERSONAL COMMENTS:

So finally i decided to get the SVS 3000

My main purpose it the house to shake like an earthquake

I do more music than movies, and the type of music is house, rap, ... heavy metal.

I have seen a lot of comments about the sealed subs to work better than the ported ones for music and that they shake more ???. If what i want is an earthquake at home then... should i go with the sealed or the ported one can behaves the same?

Next question that i have is... the ported version (PB3000) can have the plugs on, meaning it "converts" to a sealed version kind of? meaning this will behaves more like the sealed one for music, and then for movies i saw that the ported ones behave better in terms of movies ????

From your experience, which one will cause my sealing to fell down?, more concerned about the music than the movies, cause the movies... the wife and dogs dont like that loud volume.

Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-25-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
While I do not think that a single sub will do that, for this open room. Since a sub/s nature is to fill all open area, unlike speakers that only care about their physical locations to your MLP.
However a port version, will give you more output than a seal one. And when properly integrated, can also sound excellent with music.

Here some reading material, on this subject;
VIII-A: Sealed Versus Ported Subwoofers:

Darth
post #3 of 30 Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
While I do not think that a single sub will do that, for this open room. Since a sub/s nature is to fill all open area, unlike speakers that only care about their physical locations to your MLP.
However a port version, will give you more output than a seal one. And when properly integrated, can also sound excellent with music.

Here some reading material, on this subject;
VIII-A: Sealed Versus Ported Subwoofers:

Darth
Wow, maybe a pair of 2000 will feel more than one 3000, now you are making me hesitate will read more and more cause this things are not cheap. Will read your link, already started it has nice info, lot to learn yet! thank you, maybe what i will do is to close the room so i only have to fill less space.... so the room of 4x5x3meters will be filled with anything, thanks for making that point because i didnt know that thats how sub's work, feeling the space... silly me.

thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I had many of the same questions in my recent sub search.
There is lots of material on YOUTUBE to help you out.
After watching many, then listening to a friends SVS 2000, I decided to go with SVS.
I ordered the PB 3000.
All I can say...awesome, it exceeds expectations.
Powerful enough to handle movies yet adjustable enough to support music.
The app gives you great control over all aspects, better than doing the "sub crawl" to adjust settings.

I would advise you to go with the PB version, that gives you flexiblility. though you won't NEED to cover the ports, the app will adjust if needed.

One caution, the 3000 PB is HUGE. If you are thinking 2, you will need room, and the WAF factor will come into play.

but for sheer power and flexibility....it's a winner.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
If you're in the US, I suggest that you consider two Hsu Research VTF-3 Mk5s. (15" drivers.) A pair of them, shipped, is $341 more than a single PB3000. The VTF-3 plays about as loudly (based on reviews) as their flagship VTF-15H Mk2 at 25 Hz and up, is more compact, and costs a bit less.

I have a pair. I think that they shake the dust from the floorboards when fully engaged.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Why have you settled on svs? If I were you I would grab a psa 15 or hsu 15 or whatever Id 15 that is in your budget, or a V1811(psa) Tom May have some coming to outlet that would be in your budget, definitely worth an email? If u go 2xpb2000 you are super limiting your upgrade path, there is nothing wrong with a single sub as long as u can place it correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwpar3 View Post
I had many of the same questions in my recent sub search.
There is lots of material on YOUTUBE to help you out.
After watching many, then listening to a friends SVS 2000, I decided to go with SVS.
I ordered the PB 3000.
All I can say...awesome, it exceeds expectations.
Powerful enough to handle movies yet adjustable enough to support music.
The app gives you great control over all aspects, better than doing the "sub crawl" to adjust settings.

I would advise you to go with the PB version, that gives you flexiblility. though you won't NEED to cover the ports, the app will adjust if needed.

One caution, the 3000 PB is HUGE. If you are thinking 2, you will need room, and the WAF factor will come into play.

but for sheer power and flexibility....it's a winner.
Thats a good point, i dont really want to be swapping a lot of things when i want to hear music or when i want to watch movies... tho... for movies i dont think i will adjust that much (only when im alone) and can hear at a loud volume... but with the WAF can't do so... most of the time will be for music, and that will be loud... and if with the app i can tune a couple of things then or even put the pugs on, thats not much of trouble. Thanks for your input! Cheers!
post #8 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
If you're in the US, I suggest that you consider two Hsu Research VTF-3 Mk5s. (15" drivers.) A pair of them, shipped, is $341 more than a single PB3000. The VTF-3 plays about as loudly (based on reviews) as their flagship VTF-15H Mk2 at 25 Hz and up, is more compact, and costs a bit less.

I have a pair. I think that they shake the dust from the floorboards when fully engaged.
Thanks i will have to read about those, what i do like is the 15" i think two of those could move more air than a single 13" and you are right the $341 of difference is not much.

Will watch some reviews and videos will see how it goes! thanks for the suggestion. (beer)
post #9 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

+1 to this advice (I have both SVS and HSU subs and am a fan of both manufacturers). For your goals and budget, two HSU VTF-MK5s will give you the power you want and balance the bass for your room. Honorable mention to two Monoprice 12".
post #10 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly.mcaloney View Post
Why have you settled on svs? If I were you I would grab a psa 15 or hsu 15 or whatever Id 15 that is in your budget, or a V1811(psa) Tom May have some coming to outlet that would be in your budget, definitely worth an email? If u go 2xpb2000 you are super limiting your upgrade path, there is nothing wrong with a single sub as long as u can place it correctly!

What he said.... I dont think SVS provides a great value at any price point above $1000 unless APP control is a primary reason for Purchase. HSU, PSA and Rythmik offer much much better bang for the buck. PSA still has upgrade programs, fantastic warranty and TOP tier customer service. Rythmik has excellent products and product support as well.
macgallant and GatoGoat like this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #11 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Will check out the other brands/models you are mentioning, so far the SVS were the best i could find for the money, and with great reviews, thats why i took the desition to go with them at first i started with klipsch... then Monolith... then SVS... and now will check this other suggestions, after alli think thats why this post is so important for my purchase to get feedback from people that knows about subs, so thanks, you just put more homework for me (beer) ...........question tho... who is Tom May?
post #12 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
+1 to this advice (I have both SVS and HSU subs and am a fan of both manufacturers). For your goals and budget, two HSU VTF-MK5s will give you the power you want and balance the bass for your room. Honorable mention to two Monoprice 12".
For sure im checking those MK5'S... will see how it goes thanks!
post #13 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallingMrBenzo View Post
What he said.... I dont think SVS provides a great value at any price point above $1000 unless APP control is a primary reason for Purchase. HSU, PSA and Rythmik offer much much better bang for the buck. PSA still has upgrade programs, fantastic warranty and TOP tier customer service. Rythmik has excellent products and product support as well.
I think app control is a plus, not necessary tho, Rythmik... couldnt find anything better than SVS, HSU... ckecking.... and PSA also checking... thanks for your input! (beer)
post #14 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
I think app control is a plus, not necessary tho, Rythmik... couldnt find anything better than SVS, HSU... ckecking.... and PSA also checking... thanks for your input! (beer)

Tom V is the owner of PSA, also he is the former V in SVS!

darthray and CallingMrBenzo like this.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hooo got it so they must know! so SVS now should be called SS?
kelly.mcaloney likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-26-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:

Quote:
Hooo got it so they must know! so SVS now should be called SS?
SVS use to stand for "Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofer", where Ron S and Tom V founded the company.
While the name have been change to SVSound, after the original founders were bought out. Remaining SVS.
And most say, that new owner (company/corporation). Still operate the way Ron and Tom were doing when started, for customer services.
The reason they grew so big, and now PSA is on the same path.

Ron was more an administrator, and Tom was the designer of their subs.
Tom always prove to be very trusty and honest, and dealt with him many time.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 07-26-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So question, in the low range... under $1k... we have this two options, could use some help here, which one is the best option

SVS
PB-2000
500 watts RMS, 1,100 watts peak power
12-inch driver
$800

HSU
VTF-3 MK5 HP
600 W Continuous 2000 W Short Term (not sure what this means, i guess peak power is 2000 which doubles the SVS, is it true?)
15-inch driver
$800

So im guessing the 15" will perform better than a 12" not sure the quality between the two brands, i dont care that much about the look (but SVS has a better design, IMHO HSU could use a logo redesign also website it probably has nothing to do with the quality of their products but as a buyer a better looking brand and better looking website and product will sell me more the product.)
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The HSU is a much more powerful sub above 40hz. Equal to 2-3 PB-2000's.

Bedroom Home Theater 5.1.2
Screen: Sony KDL60W630B
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR656
Speakers: 4x Sony Core Bookshelves, Sony Core Center, Onkyo Satellites (Height)
Sub: PSA V1510DF
post #19 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
SVS use to stand for "Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofer", where Ron S and Tom V founded the company.
While the name have been change to SVSound, after the original founders were bought out. Remaining SVS.
And most say, that new owner (company/corporation). Still operate the way Ron and Tom were doing when started, for customer services.
The reason they grew so big, and now PSA is on the same path.

Ron was more an administrator, and Tom was the designer of their subs.
Tom always prove to be very trusty and honest, and dealt with him many time.

Darth

Hoo got it, VSA looks like they have hi power subs, bit expensive i think but different specs than others in size and power, also shapes and types, interesting.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
So question, in the low range... under $1k... we have this two options, could use some help here, which one is the best option

SVS
PB-2000
500 watts RMS, 1,100 watts peak power
12-inch driver
$800

HSU
VTF-3 MK5 HP
600 W Continuous 2000 W Short Term (not sure what this means, i guess peak power is 2000 which doubles the SVS, is it true?)
15-inch driver
$800

So im guessing the 15" will perform better than a 12" not sure the quality between the two brands, i dont care that much about the look (but SVS has a better design, IMHO HSU could use a logo redesign also website it probably has nothing to do with the quality of their products but as a buyer a better looking brand and better looking website and product will sell me more the product.)
I would also reach out to Power Sound Audio, they have a a very small ported 18 inch subwoofer. I believe there are two being traded back in and you may be able to get one under $1000. It would be more than what your looking at spending maybe but a huge jump up and a great price with a new 5 year warranty. Those trade ins are usually sold before they will have every been announced as inventory. You should always get more than what you use, headroom is your friend.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB *Calibrated by ChadB* - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA TV36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
post #21 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would also reach out to Power Sound Audio, they have a a very small ported 18 inch subwoofer. I believe there are two being traded back in and you may be able to get one under $1000. It would be more than what your looking at spending maybe but a huge jump up and a great price with a new 5 year warranty. Those trade ins are usually sold before they will have every been announced as inventory. You should always get more than what you use, headroom is your friend.
Will check out with them, a friend of yours purchased new subs? and send his 18's back? ...18 is a huge sub, that could probably do what i need at home. Tho, i decided to close the room in my loft where im going to have the audio system, so now it will be a closed room of 5.500 cubic meters, so im guessing will be needing less size, probably a couple of PB-2000 or couple of VTF-3 MK5 HP... or one of this ones you are mentioning should be more than enough, anyways thanks for the info will see what they have around, will keep the info flowing here.

By the way, i was checking yesterday my 2.1 Klipsch speakers, and they have a sticker that reads "made in china" not sure if all are made and assembled in china? which surprised me, i thought it was a US brand.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Quote:
Will check out with them, a friend of yours purchased new subs? and send his 18's back? ...18 is a huge sub, that could probably do what i need at home. Tho, i decided to close the room in my loft where im going to have the audio system, so now it will be a closed room of 5.500 cubic meters, so im guessing will be needing less size, probably a couple of PB-2000 or couple of VTF-3 MK5 HP... or one of this ones you are mentioning should be more than enough, anyways thanks for the info will see what they have around, will keep the info flowing here.

By the way, i was checking yesterday my 2.1 Klipsch speakers, and they have a sticker that reads "made in china" not sure if all are made and assembled in china? which surprised me, i thought it was a US brand.
I don't own any PSA products, but their V1811 is compact for an 18" ported sub (22"D x 20"W x 24"H with grille, they claim) and not overly massive (108 lbs.). The disadvantage to the small size is that is won't play super low for an 18" sub. I presume that above 30 Hz, it can play very loudly indeed.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Quote:

Honeslty at that price point the HSU VTF3 MK5 is the only choice.

Why would you choose a pb2000 and loose out on a ton of performance?

I believe Tom V (PSA) once mentionned that the VTF3 MK5 gets incredibly close to PB4000 performance... Now that's value !

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C / Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf, SX6, XL5F/ Mirage M-190 / DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-II
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300
post #24 of 30 Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
Honeslty at that price point the HSU VTF3 MK5 is the only choice.

Why would you choose a pb2000 and loose out on a ton of performance?

I believe Tom V (PSA) once mentionned that the VTF3 MK5 gets incredibly close to PB4000 performance... Now that's value !
And i guess i just wanted to read that MK5 was the correct choice for the same price. I saw a video where those two were compared and yes that somebody mentioned that the difference was noticeable by people with subs knowledge... meaning no big difference for those not that specialists.

well, then i guess will take that road, ill place my order for the first baby will see how it goes with one at the beginning, either way i need to get speakers and receiver, so still some $ to spend.

Thanks man, appreciate your feedback and for the rest also (beers)
sk373 likes this.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

SVS is also pretty much assembled in China...Having had a pair of v1811's , they are a compact powerhouse but as others have said that compactness has some drawbacks. The HSU will probably better it in the lower HZ regions and give off more of the earthquake you are looking for. So in your price range I would go with the HSU , but if I may add another wrench into the mix , PSA does have a very generous trade-in program I have used a few times. So for $999 you could get the V1511df , which would be very close in performance to the HSU and would give you an idea if you have enough firepower. Later on down the road if your budget increases along with your thirst for bass , you could trade in the V1511 for one of the monster V3611's or TV36s. I am not aware of an upgrade program with any other sub supplier besides SVS.
post #26 of 30 Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
SVS is also pretty much assembled in China...Having had a pair of v1811's , they are a compact powerhouse but as others have said that compactness has some drawbacks. The HSU will probably better it in the lower HZ regions and give off more of the earthquake you are looking for. So in your price range I would go with the HSU , but if I may add another wrench into the mix , PSA does have a very generous trade-in program I have used a few times. So for $999 you could get the V1511df , which would be very close in performance to the HSU and would give you an idea if you have enough firepower. Later on down the road if your budget increases along with your thirst for bass , you could trade in the V1511 for one of the monster V3611's or TV36s. I am not aware of an upgrade program with any other sub supplier besides SVS.
I would probably be more pleased to see that it was made in Japan jeje i know that probably cost reduce a lot in china, but also quality, anyways, i decided to close the area where ill have the sound system, so now i will have less apace to feel with sub air, so probably will go with a pair of HSU, but thanks for the suggestion about the trade in option... im just far away from US that i don't think ill be upgrading my subs in a few years, cause i have to pay extra shipping and my country taxes above the US price... so whatever i decide now it will have to hold for a few years.

I recently bought a classic receiver on ebay for a pair of Sansui SP7500X floor speakers that i have, and im still waiting for it to arrives, as shipping takes double of time

Good thing is that for the subs we are already there in the point of doing the checkout! Does anyone knows when is the next round of discounts on amazon? i just missed the Prime day to purchase my new receiver (the one that is going to be managing the new sub) i want to get at least some discount in that and also the surround and center speakers. Hopefully is not until thanksgiving.

Cheers guys!

Last edited by julitro; 07-30-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-30-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
@julitro

The SVS PB3000 IMO is SVS 2nd best sub next to the Ultra 16. Use the app set it to sealed mode and jam out, remove the pugs set it to ported and shake the wall with bass intense movies.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #28 of 30 Old 07-30-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
@julitro

The SVS PB3000 IMO is SVS 2nd best sub next to the Ultra 16. Use the app set it to sealed mode and jam out, remove the pugs set it to ported and shake the wall with bass intense movies.
You are right, the PB3K is the second best after the ultra 16... !

I love the look and feel of the SVS PB3000, and be able to manage it from an app, sounds great, tho, for the price... i would get 800RMS-2500 total... according to SVS at a price of $1400... and calculating if i get for example 2 VTF MK5 600RMS-2500 total power according to HSU at a price of $800... if i get 2 of this... the difference would be $200... and i would be getting two subs that are near the SVS in power 1 to 1... so having 2 HSU probably is more power to shake the house... but im just calculating... i dont really like the design of HSU im just thinking in power per $.

Anyway, still not making any purchase, will wait untill i get an offer day and get a good deal on any of those...
post #29 of 30 Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help... i ended up getting a nice SB16 ULTRA! found it in openbox condition... BASICALLY NEW! not a scratch or dent or anything... like new! and with all the sipping to my house (which is not in US) I ended up spending about $100 above new price which is great considering i had to pay shipping and taxes to my country.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!
post #30 of 30 Old 09-20-2019, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
@julitro

PB4000 is obviously better then the PB3000

NAD T758 v3 - KEF LS 50 - SVS SB16 Ultra - HECO On wall - LG C8
HT: NAD T758 v3 - Audiovector S3 signature - S3 Signature Center - SVS PC13 Ultra - SVS Prime Elevation - Polk S15 - Optoma UHD40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page