REW (mac), BEQ, Mini DSP and Multiple Sub set up and calibration Q's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 2 Post By PioManiac
  • 1 Post By PioManiac
  • 1 Post By Dutch-boy
  • 1 Post By jsc79
  • 1 Post By Dutch-boy
  • 1 Post By jsc79

post #1 of 29 Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
REW (mac), BEQ, Mini DSP and Multiple Sub set up and calibration Q's

Would somebody with a firm understanding (and patience lol) of the above equipment and software be willing to offer me some set up/calibration help via pm or other method?
I would prefer not to publicly embarrass myself and expose my limited capacity and simple mistakes I must have made trying to go it alone with a series of thread postings.
I am really getting frustrated with myself and must be missing some simple steps or concepts from reading (and re-reading) the various stickies and comprehensive threads concerning these programs.
I believe I have all the required equipment, but am just having a hard time wrapping my head around what all needs to happen in order to create the "Aha" level of integration.
Prior to this I was content having 7.1 and running Anthem ARC room correction.
Now I am really excited to go "next level" with additional subs and be able to BEQ movies. I also have some front and rear wall acoustic treatments on order.
I am ready to try and figure out final placement of all speakers and set levels/timing and calibration so I can finally just enjoy the equipment I have.

Sincerely,

Chad

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 20 v5, cc 490, 4 monitor surround 3 v7, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 6302 Post(s)
Liked: 5635
Chad,

No reason to be embarrassed, we all started somewhere.

Go ahead and ask away!
jamiebosco likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-01-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1787
Agreed, you'll get much more advice by posting here, plus someone may have experience with a specific problem you're having

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-02-2019, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks fellas.

After reading everything on BEQ and house curves I am so excited I can't stand it.

Sadly, I had to pack up all my new tech goodies and put them away for a breather before I could even play with them, while I read and think more about what needs to happen and when.
1st things are to get latest version of Anthem ARC Genesis and REW loaded on MacBook air (thank you Enrico for the super instructional you wrote) which I did.

I have received a notice of update for:
"REW macOS DMG (includes private Java 8 JRE) - REW V5.20 beta 17 macOS DMG"

Do I need to uninstall the old version of REW to load this update or will it just add to the software I already have?

Somewhere along the line I was unable to select anything other than "stereo" for speaker selection on REW. Any ideas on what I missed there?

I have my speakers/subs placed at what theoretically are good locations.
Front soundstage:
Subs are 1/4 and 3/4 room width (PSA V1811's)
Mains are 1/6 and 5/6 room width (Paradigm Studio 20's)
Surround and Rears are wall mounted at best locations possible given room layout.
Rear wall has V3601 centered upright for now.

I have some GIK panels on order.

I need to come up with a step by step plan or I really get overwhelmed.

So, I have mini dsp hd with all the appropriate cables. (currently I am running all subs off splitters from the single sub out on my MRX 510).

What "plug in" do I need to download to be able to manage 3 subs?
I did get a coupon with the mini dsp hd for one free plug in.

Where should I start to get everything working and playing the way it should?
Do I run sweeps to finalize speaker positions?
I assume running and applying ARC will be the final step?
Thank you.

post #5 of 29 Old 08-02-2019, 08:02 AM

Sorry, but I have no experience with REW on a Mac, so no help there.

With three PSA vented subs placed as you have them, I bet it already sound outstanding!

There is only one plugin for the MiniDSP HD, 2x4 HD1.

Quote:
Where should I start to get everything working and playing the way it should?
You seem to have the speaker placement down, so you need to hook up the MiniDSP and get that set up. Start by just bypassing everything in the MiniDSP (filters, LPF, HPF). The MiniDSP is shipped with two of the outputs set for speakers, so there is an HPF in place that needs to be bypassed (Outputs 2 & 4 IIRC).

Keep in mind that you will see a drop in the sub's level with the MiniDSP in the chain (3dB IIRC) and that needs to be accounted for with either the AVR sub trim or gain on the subs.

Quote:
Do I run sweeps to finalize speaker positions?
Yes. After you have hooked up the MiniDSP, read and followed AustinJerry's guide (linked in my sig) and taken the recommended sweeps, share your MDAT file (the format that REW saves your measurement session to, uploaded to a file sharing site such as DropBox) with the guys in the REW thread and you will surely get some solid advice.

Quote:
I assume running and applying ARC will be the final step?
Correct!

See, no stupid questions here.
PioManiac likes this.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 3287 Post(s)
Liked: 8221
From the BEQ Setup Guide,
The plug in you need for the miniDSP 2x4HD is the MiniDSP_2x4HD_HD1
...the ONLY plug in available for that model

It sounds like you're trying to accomplish too many goals at once and you're completely overwhelmed.

You know how to eat an Elephant? One bite at a time!

If I were you, I would just put the miniDSP into the chain, all filters bypassed, run your ARC room calibration..
Then you're setup to start enjoying BEQ movies and everything will likely be 95% where you need to be. That's all I did at first,
everything in the BEQ setup guide I learned on my own and added new steps on-the-fly as I learned them over the year.

ARC (Anthem Room Correction) provides one the Best room correction packages available,
You likely won't even need REW or the miniDSP to do any additional work. It's simply an option for those with really difficult rooms.

If you need a REW visual confirmation of what's happening in your room beyond what ARC provides,

Download the 90º calibration file for your UMIK-1 (by using the serial number), entered on the miniDSP site,
Plug your UMIK-1 into your mac/laptop via USB, run an HDMI cable from your mac to your AVR and make your first REW sweep.

From the BEQ thread:

Getting Started with REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22823228

The UMIK-1 mic must be calibrated with download file available on miniDSP site after you enter your serial number
(You need to use the 90º Calibration file to use your UMIK-1 in the upright (aimed at the ceiling) position (recommended for multi-channel and sub calibration)

UMIK-1 Calibration File load through REW, and make your first REW Sweep
https://www.minidsp.com/applications...setup-with-rew

The next level (optional) Auto EQ with REW: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew
The only change for BEQ users, House Curve adjustments need to be entered on the Output Channels,
(The Input channels are used for importing movie BEQ filters)

REW has a bit of learning curve but Austin Jerry is more than happy to get your sorted in the REW thread.
sdurani and Alan P like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Fellas,
(btw, you nailed my mental condition PioManiac...I gotta break it down, way down, baby steps down. I wanted to jump right in to the world series with you guys lol.

I have some time before work, and my super duper strong coffee is kicking in, so armed with Alan P and PioManiac's advice, and a fresh mind...I am going in for round 2.

Well, hot damn!
That was not so bad at all. I now have MiniDSP HD and plug in loaded and just need to go back to enrico's golden post about REW on MAC and see what I missed on the proper set up for that (speaker selection options).

post #8 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

dang it,

I still can not get past the "display port" speaker selection tab...only dropdown I can choose from is 2 channel stereo or surround

I am missing something simple I hope. I have Mac hooked up to HDMI 2 on Anthem and all speakers 7.1 on in input setup for the receiver

It must be in the default settings for mini audio somewhere...

I gotta get to the gym and let off some steam and contemplate a/v now...while listening to metal on cheap headphones lol

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 08-03-2019 at 02:55 AM.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Piomaniac,

thanks for taking time to reply."

"If I were you, I would just put the miniDSP into the chain, all filters bypassed, run your ARC room calibration..
Then you're setup to start enjoying BEQ movies and everything will likely be 95% where you need to be. That's all I did at first,
everything in the BEQ setup guide I learned on my own and added new steps on-the-fly as I learned them over the year."

by this you mean, just run one cable from sub out of anthem into IN1 on MiniDSP and a cable from out 1,2,3 to subs 1,2,3?
I just plug the the dsp into the wall and into my mac with usb and make sure everything is set to "off" or "bypassed"?

Thanks,

95% is gonna be so YUUUUGE for me.

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 08-03-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: clarity
post #10 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Piomaniac,

thanks for taking time to reply."

"If I were you, I would just put the miniDSP into the chain, all filters bypassed, run your ARC room calibration..
everything in the BEQ setup guide I learned on my own and added new steps on-the-fly as I learned them over the year."

by this you mean, just run one cable from sub out of anthem into IN1 on MiniDSP and a cable from out 1,2,3 to subs 1,2,3?
I just plug the the dsp into the wall and into my mac with usb and make sure everything is set to "off" or "bypassed"?

Thanks,

95% is gonna be so YUUUUGE for me.
If your Anthem doesn't have dual independent sub outs,
Then yes, run ARC with them all running together for now.
(Dual Sub outs would allow you to separate Front/Rear subs, if subs are not equal distance from MLP)

Output 2 in the mini HD-1 software will need a x-over adjustment as the setup guide shows, 1 and 3 are already setup fine for subs.

As most here will attest to, Running all subs together for room correction is okay, since that's how they interact with each other and your room anyway,
So as a basic first setup you'll probably be happy, and having individual EQ and delays set for distance/timing not too important. (REW can help with that later)
(That's why I say leave REW out of the process for now) Remember....One Bite at a Time! or you might choke on that elephant.

Start with the basics to get your feet wet with the miniDSP, enjoy a few movies, read a little more.
Explore the miniDSP screens and get familiar with the software. Learn how it works even before using the Repo.

I learned to enter settings manually first, and continued to do it the "hard way" for ~6 months, just follow the setup guide.
It's stupid simple when all the screens are right in front of you and you follow the steps one at a time.

To set an unused EQ slot to BYPASSED, just click the coloured tab that isn't going to being used, then hit the BYPASS button, (far right)
and it will grey-out that tab. Repeat that process for the rest of the unused EQ slots.

For example, if a BEQ uses just 4 of the 10 available EQ slots,
This is what the screen will look like after adding the 4 EQ filters and BYPASSING the rest.

If you Grey out all 10 filters, you don't even need to "0" any of the values for Frequency, Gain, Q or filter type, The BYPASS disables all those
This is what I'm referring to when I say go to your INPUT channel 1, select the PEQ tab, Grey out all those boxes to bypass everything,
Repeat that same procedure for the 3 OUTPUT channels you will be using, The miniDSP will now be in pass-through mode,
So ARC room calibration can set your Sub output levels and delays (by averaging them together). It's not 100% perfect, but it should be close enough.

If you have an SPL meter, you can make individual gain adjustments by playing a test tone to each sub individually to gain match them before running ARC.
This will require unplugging the other two subs while a single is measured, repeat for all three subs.
Alternatively, you can keep the jacks plugged into the miniDSP, and just hit the mute button on the other two subs, repeat for all three.

This is the screen to open (shows the 4 output channels) ignore the red arrows,
just indicating to you where the MUTE buttons are located for each of the 4 sub outs.
The Mute button turns from Blue to RED when it is muted...

From there play some movies with BEQ, for a fun experiment you can keep your Config 1 as your BEQ preset,
Then like I mentioned above, perform a BYPASS to Config 2, Grey out everything, input and output.
(You must make the same x-over adjustments for Config 2, Output channel 2 that you did previously for Config 1)

Go back to Config 1 where you have your movie BEQ loaded, now at any point in the movie without hitting pause,
Swap back to your BYPASSED Config 2 and wonder where your Bass went, click back to Config 1 and you got your A/B comparison.

I, like many others here, eventually decided to load up a favorite Bass scene,
and watch the whole chapter with and without BEQ back to back.

That's usually when the AH-HA! moment hits for most first time users,
and you quickly realize the real value of that little black box for $200.

After the first week, you'll wonder what you were so worried about.
Low Shelf filters are stupid simple, it's just a few numbers in a program that changes the curve of the movie.

Eventually, you'll feel the same about running a REW sweep,
Same goes for adding a house curve on your Output channels ,
It can really be just as simple as a Single LS filter, 25Hz, 5.0 Gain and a Q of 4.0

Just keep your MV levels in check when experimenting.

After a week or two might be a good time to start reading up on REW and the setup PDF,
Ask questions in the REW thread about getting a read on your room as it relates to your subs if/when you get stuck,

There may be no need for further EQ at all, if you do have some peaks to tame REW can help with that.
If you find your MLP sitting in a Null, REW will show a dip at a certain frequency range
This will likely require moving a sub(s) position several times, EQ filter changes should be avoided when trying to eliminate a null.
Alan P likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-03-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #11 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man,

Thank you thank thank you,

I can't wait to give this a shot when I get home from work.
So, can I just split the output 1 signal to the two front subs and run output 3 to the back?
right not MLP is within 2ft mol of the equidistant front subs and the rear one anyway...so not to terrible.
or
would I be better off trying to match the x-over adjustment that output 1 &3 have in the set up guide?

Thanks again...I am gonna reread this on every break today lol...some of them will most certainly be on the clock. So when I get home I can hurry up and set it up and give it a listen

Enjoy your weekend PioManiac

post #12 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM

I notice no new posts over the weekend...how's everything going Dutch-boy?
post #13 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well,

I spent some time following my detailed directions and greyed out all 10 of filters for all of the outputs (1-3) to just run it in pass through mode to get started.
Then I plugged in a sub cable from the single sub out on the MRX to the IN1 on Minidsp and ran cables from output 1-3 to all the subs.
and
I got no sound. So I started looking for something like "apply settings" or "load settings" and I found "Save" from the dropdown and did that, but still no sound. All of this was while the mindsp was hooked up to my MacBook and "connected"
So then I went with Load and got "processing" for a real long time...and I got frustrated and gave up and reconnected everything the old way so I could watch a movie Saturday night.

I was going to wake up early tomorrow and take actual screen shots and post them to try and get some help for what went wrong.
It just seems like everything is set to 0db and I thought that might be the problem, so I played around a while and just could not find what I was missing. I don't know if I should be linking them, but it seemed to be appropriate given I was using exact same settings (grey out / bypass) for all.

I just attached some screenshots now to illustrate what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 8-5-19 at 3.56 PM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2598932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 8-5-19 at 3.59 PM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	2598936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 8-5-19 at 4.00 PM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	2598938  

post #14 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you follow the setup guide (in the BEQ thread) to the letter?

Almost sounds to me like you missed the "Connect" button

also, not sure why your Input 1 is turned up to 7.5 (should be 0 by default)

My screen shot "Connected"

I don't see any green check marks in your photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Connect.png
Views:	494
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2598954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connect-2.png
Views:	60
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	2598956  

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

My intentions were to follow your detailed directions to the letter...but I may have (probably) failed in execution

I was connected Saturday while working on setting everything up, I just took the screenshots now from the laptop and it is disconnected.
I'll plug everything back in and double check again.
I must have left my input 1 setting at 7.5 while I was trying different things just to get sound.
I was bouncing back and forth between ARC and MINIDSP while trying to get test tones to come out of the subs.

Thanks for taking a look at this for me.

post #16 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

btw, my IP address never showed up in the box like yours does.
is that because you have the wifi attachment?

post #17 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
btw, my IP address never showed up in the box like yours does.
is that because you have the wifi attachment?
Yes, I purchased the miniDSP WI-DG that eliminates the need for a USB cable.
The rest of your setup looks fine on your screen shots.

post #18 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Make sure your input source is set to analog

Don't worry about running ARC right now, just play any movie you have handy on your bluray player.
Just to make sure your subs are getting a signal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Connect-3.png
Views:	64
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2598974  

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well,

I spent some time following my detailed directions and greyed out all 10 of filters for all of the outputs (1-3) to just run it in pass through mode to get started.
Then I plugged in a sub cable from the single sub out on the MRX to the IN1 on Minidsp and ran cables from output 1-3 to all the subs.
and
I got no sound. So I started looking for something like "apply settings" or "load settings" and I found "Save" from the dropdown and did that, but still no sound. All of this was while the mindsp was hooked up to my MacBook and "connected"
So then I went with Load and got "processing" for a real long time...and I got frustrated and gave up and reconnected everything the old way so I could watch a movie Saturday night.

I was going to wake up early tomorrow and take actual screen shots and post them to try and get some help for what went wrong.
It just seems like everything is set to 0db and I thought that might be the problem, so I played around a while and just could not find what I was missing. I don't know if I should be linking them, but it seemed to be appropriate given I was using exact same settings (grey out / bypass) for all.

I just attached some screenshots now to illustrate what I did.
The Load and Save functions are only for creating and/or loading xml files
(the file Format used by the BEQ Repository of movie files) You are not setup for either at this point.

post #20 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for taking a look at my setup.
I will hookup and go through your steps again in the morning and then make sure to hit connect.
Is "connected" what loads the setting into the dsp?
Or do I need to manually "Load" and "Save" the passthrough config?

post #21 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again for taking a look at my setup.
I will hookup and go through your steps again in the morning and then make sure to hit connect.
Is "connected" what loads the setting into the dsp?
Or do I need to manually "Load" and "Save" the passthrough config?
You won't be using Load or Save until you start using the Repo of BEQ xml files.
The fact that you've tried both already may be part of your problem.
Clicking either will point to a storage directory on your hard drive to either save or load an XML file.

You will be using SAVE eventually once you're ready to create an EQ or House Curve file,
The LOAD function for pulling Movie BEQ xml files saved to your hard drive so you don't have the enter them manually.

All you need to do is hit connect to transfer your miniDSP software settings to the miniDSP hardware
...sometimes this pop-up will ask to confirm the sync....select Synchronize Config and you're good to go.
(if you don't get a popup, don't worry, it may only happen when loading new settings or after a disconnection)

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
If you have issues with REW not getting more than 2 ch audio from your Mac, check on my guide how to get into Audio Midi Setup/Configure Speakers.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #23 of 29 Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your patience and help. All of your write ups, tips, and how to's really break things down nicely.
What a tremendous resource this forum and its contributing members are.

PioManiac...my problem was I had left the input setting on USB, once I changed it to "Analog" as highlighted in your post I got sound and a big smile

How's everything look now?
screenshots below...

small bites and chew carefully lol
I struggle with this in so many aspects of my life.

One step closer to the land of audio bliss and BEQ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 2.50.24 AM.png
Size:	584.4 KB
ID:	2599206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 2.50.48 AM.png
Size:	630.1 KB
ID:	2599208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 2.53.45 AM.png
Views:	9
Size:	585.5 KB
ID:	2599210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 2.53.55 AM.png
Views:	59
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	2599212  

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 08-06-2019 at 01:13 AM.
post #24 of 29 Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your patience and help. All of your write ups, tips, and how to's really break things down nicely.
What a tremendous resource this forum and its contributing members are.

PioManiac...my problem was I had left the input setting on USB, once I changed it to "Analog" as highlighted in your post I got sound and a big smile

How's everything look now?
screenshots below...

small bites and chew carefully lol
I struggle with this in so many aspects of my life.

One step closer to the land of audio bliss and BEQ
The Setup Guide was developed over the past 12 months to avoid situations like this.
I'm not very computer literate myself, actually hate computers...but muddled through somehow.

Every Time a new user showed up, they managed to find a new obstacle,
So collectively our BEQ team would find the root of the problem by remote diagnosis and corrected it.

I subsequently revised the Setup pages so it won't happen again, it's an on-going process even 12 months later.

Your issue was pretty fresh in my mind because it was a recent error from another user with similar symptoms,

The solution was added to the guide a few months ago, you simply chose to ignore it, likely because you were so worried about ARC and REW.
(Trying to digest an entire elephant in one sitting and choking on the easiest part because you didn't pay attention to how much you were stuffing into your mouth)

Do you know what RTFM means?

BTW, you shouldn't need any Gain adjustments in the miniDSP output channels
( your showing gain of 8.0 10.5 9.5 on your 3 Output Channels)

I have mine all at "0" and made level corrections with an SPL meter and the gain setting on the subs (and the AVR)
I'm a firm believer in Higher Gain on the Subs, Lower level on the AVR (into the - range) and 0 in the miniDSP.

It will still work the way you've done it, but maxing out the master volume may induce clipping at higher volume levels, not 100% sure.

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-06-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Good point on the gain, I also believe it is best to use the max on the sub amp and let the receiver work on driving the smaller ones.
Generally, what I do after running ARC is measure the sub test tones with my spl meter (usually around 75db) and then manually lower the setting on the receiver to -8 (from +2 or 3 ususally) or so and then run the gains up on the subs till I hit the desired output level ( bout 7-8 db hot.
I don't remember intentionally turning up the gains on MINIDSP. I assume I should just run them all back down to 0 and do the same now.

Do you feel the WI-DG was a worthwhile purchase?
If it were any cheaper it would be a easy call, but then again at this point...what is another $75 lol
PioManiac likes this.

Last edited by Dutch-boy; 08-06-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #26 of 29 Old 08-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 481
I feel the wi-dg is worthwhile. It allows you to import any changes and eq wirelessly. It also allows you to use the MiniDSP app on your phone(substituting the need for the remote)

100% required, not at all.
100% convenient, yes.
Alan P likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG
post #27 of 29 Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks jsc79.
I like convenience.

Wow, that is some set up you have. I bet it sounds awesome.
jsc79 likes this.

post #28 of 29 Old 08-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Hey, Thanks jsc79.
I like convenience.

Wow, that is some set up you have. I bet it sounds awesome.
Going by your signature I’d say your far enough down the wormhole to spend another $75-$100 on the wi-dg. Lol
Alan P likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG
post #29 of 29 Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

For Hire in Northern, IL?

I now have all the gear, hardware, software and acoustical panels necessary to fine tune my system for BEQ and house curve.
Is there anybody near Rochelle, IL 61068 that would be interested in being hired for a day to help and teach me this hands on?
I would like to take care of final speaker placement, acoustic panel placement, MLP, ARC and minidsp settings.
I more than appreciate all of the help I have been given so far...but this is just over my head, and like many other things I am prepared to pay to have it done right.
"A mans got to know his limitations" lol
If anyone has experience with the equipment in my sig and is interested in a days work and providing instruction, please just PM me and we can discuss goals, expectations and payment.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
acoustic panels , beq , mini dsp , rew

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page