The Tactile Response Thread for BASS :)) - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6613Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3271 of 4216 Old 05-22-2020, 01:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Norway
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Well, this is no Mega MA but I guess you could call it a Mega HB

With the Maxxis Fat Tubes I think this should be capable of some serious shaking

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_152922.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2730738  

Video: Epson TW9400 - DIY frame 126.5" DreamScreen Ultraweave V6 - Panasonic DP-UB820
Audio: Denon X4400H 7.1.4 - Klipsch - Emotiva BasX A-500 - 2xMiniDSP 2x4HD - 4xNX6000
Subs/TR: 2xSealed UM18's - 2xSVS PB4000 / 6xBK-LFE - 8x12"HB+3x18"CLHB+3x12"BB
Magly is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3272 of 4216 Old 05-22-2020, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 3,178
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 5882
^^^ WICKED!!!! Yeah I'd say your gonna have a bit of shake going on there

...and Aaron with his latest experiment ...awesome stuff!!!!!

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #3273 of 4216 Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
So, I ended up with some new theater chairs and there just isn't enough room to install shakers on the actual chairs... Well, there's enough room for 1 per chair but I really want 2-4 per chair lol.
A sheet of ply is perfect the perfect size for my application.
My problem is, I want to make it as low profile as possible.
Like pretty much adding feet to the ply and that being it.
There will be a 12" under each chair and 4 x buttkickers and 4 x Clark Synthesis platinums on the platform.

Anyone have ideas what to use for the feet? It's on very think lush carpet, over wood, so I'm thinking under 2" would be ideal.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reliable-Hardw...191474&sr=8-18

Would those work well? I really just want to attach directly to the only and that be it. The subs under the seats will get riser rings to make up the difference.
Had anyone done this? I'm sure they have, just curious how well this would work. I've already had a boss before but was using the already 6" riser but it's since been carpeted and just don't want to have anything permanent.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
N8DOGG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3274 of 4216 Old 05-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
5,000 cuft.

Yep, that’s pretty big. Pretty much agree with @imureh . One or two sealed won’t get it done. You might be able to get flat to 15hz with a sealed pair, but I don’t think it would be with enough spl to do what you want.
imureh likes this.
Polyrythm1k is online now  
post #3275 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
badtlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Yep, that’s pretty big. Pretty much agree with @imureh . One or two sealed won’t get it done. You might be able to get flat to 15hz with a sealed pair, but I don’t think it would be with enough spl to do what you want.

I don't really "want" anything as far as tactile response. My main priority is music. My only intent for wandering into this thread was to determine what sealed is capable of compared to ported when subs are not next to the MLP.


If I can hit my music SPL target with sealed subs and not lose response down to 15Hz, then I think that is my preference since it sounds like 15Hz from a sealed sub will "feel" the same as 15Hz from a ported in my situation. I'll take whatever I can get for TR but I am not going to set a target minimum for it. I just don't watch enough movies at high volumes.

Front: Polk S55
Center: Polk S30
Rear: Polk S10
Sub: P̶L̶-̶2̶0̶0̶I̶I̶ | (̶2̶)̶ ̶F̶V̶X̶1̶2̶ | V1812
AVR: Denon AVR-X3500H
badtlc is offline  
post #3276 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
I don't really "want" anything as far as tactile response. My main priority is music. My only intent for wandering into this thread was to determine what sealed is capable of compared to ported when subs are not next to the MLP.


If I can hit my music SPL target with sealed subs and not lose response down to 15Hz, then I think that is my preference since it sounds like 15Hz from a sealed sub will "feel" the same as 15Hz from a ported in my situation. I'll take whatever I can get for TR but I am not going to set a target minimum for it. I just don't watch enough movies at high volumes.

Well if music is the biggest concern, then sealed sounds like your best bet while just getting whatever TR you get on movie night. There’s basically no music with content down to 15hz so imo there’s not much point in chasing that for music. Except for the arguable conversation of LT subs and extra “weight” they seem to bring to the party.
Something else to consider is a competently built ported sub will have up to four times the output capability from port tuning up to probably 30-35hz. So if you listen to music with heavy low end, the efficiency of ported should be an easy choice, with the benefit of effortless TR, less distortion, excursion and power requirements. So while the sealed sub might be able to go down to 15hz, it will take much more power, EQ, and excursion which adds heat and distortion. It might “feel” the same, but you have to be able to hit the SPL target first.
Ease of construction, and lower cost favor sealed but to me the only reason for sealed subs is WAF, and saving space.
Hope that’s somewhat coherent, still working on my first cup of coffee!
Polyrythm1k is online now  
post #3277 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 3,178
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 5882
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
So, I ended up with some new theater chairs and there just isn't enough room to install shakers on the actual chairs... Well, there's enough room for 1 per chair but I really want 2-4 per chair lol.
A sheet of ply is perfect the perfect size for my application.
My problem is, I want to make it as low profile as possible.
Like pretty much adding feet to the ply and that being it.
There will be a 12" under each chair and 4 x buttkickers and 4 x Clark Synthesis platinums on the platform.

Anyone have ideas what to use for the feet? It's on very think lush carpet, over wood, so I'm thinking under 2" would be ideal.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reliable-Hardw...191474&sr=8-18

Would those work well? I really just want to attach directly to the only and that be it. The subs under the seats will get riser rings to make up the difference.
Had anyone done this? I'm sure they have, just curious how well this would work. I've already had a boss before but was using the already 6" riser but it's since been carpeted and just don't want to have anything permanent.
Yeah HT seats can be a litle tougher tryinhg to get a bunch of shakers mounted to them, or at least I thought so at first. When I first got my seats, I thought I was really going to be limited because I wanted a bunch of them mounted to the seating like you are wanting. But, fortunatly I found somwe ways that worked great and could proibably even put up to 7-8 BK LFE's on my MLP HT seat alone if I wanted from the combo of 3 differnt locations on the seat, and then still have the seat fully functional with thew reclinee mech and all that.

If your seats are anything like mine, you can probably do exactly what I did, at least for your BK's by picking and choosing what areas to mount to for a couple BK's, or use all locatinons if you want to really load up

So, here's the mounting areas that I've found that work great on HT style seating, behind the armrests mounted to a board that just screws into the seat feet threads when original feet are removed, letting the BK's hang out the back, then under the seat with a small mod with wood plank, then to the back of the seat as well, if your into that.

A few pics to give a better idea of what I'm talking about...

Bind the armresrts Canti-Levered:


Another Angle:


You can also double up like this for behind the armrests for 4 per seat:


And attached:


And/or 2 BK LFE's fit pretty darn well underneath the seatimng too:


Here's a pic showing them a little better:


I've got better pics showing the additional mounting piece of wood in there to get them mounted and can find those pics if you need/want them if you decide to go that route. The pics are on my other computer somewhere. I don't run them like this any more though and just have them mounted like up above behind the armrests. Plus now I also run them mounted to the seatback as well, which feels killer and is another way. The multi-location BK LFE combo feels pretty darn wicked!!! I already had the little mounting platform backpack things made to mount a JBL 12" driver to the back of the seats, so was easy to just mount a BK on there as well:



and mounted, giving me 3 BK's per seats ATM, but could easily add 4 more per seat if I wanted :


Hope that can help give you some HT style seat mounting ideas. You've got options If you want them mounted directly to your seating instead of the platform (which I think works way better, at least it did in my case) and your seats are similar to mine (which I bet they are close enough), some or all of these options should work great for your BK's. Clarks as well probably.

As far as the feet go that you linked to, yeah I've used those before. They are pretty hard, but work. Also the older style feet that are used with the Crowsons work too that are a bit softer than those. I think you can get them off Amazon as well. Or the Hudson isos that are used with the BOSS, which are way softer than any of those.
aron7awol and Sekosche like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #3278 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
Got the Mega MA bottom plate extended, got my recliner on top of it, and did some quick testing...

WHOA! Crazy excursion capabilities for sure! I did some 5Hz sine wave testing and kept creeping up on the gain until the platform appeared to be really moving a good amount (it was still quiet and comfortable for the motor) and then checked excursion with my caliper. 11mm peak-to-peak and the movement looked perfectly smooth and linear both ways. I didn't push it any further because I hadn't even felt real movie content yet, and I wanted to at least do that once before I pushed things to the limit and potentially broke something I have to say, it also felt perfectly linear too, like I was a riding on a BIG 5Hz wave. And this was with a 250-300W amp. Not sure how close I was to pushing either the amp or motor to the limit on these sines, but it was in their wheelhouses for sure at these levels and at least it goes to show that the single motor with modest power can easily achieve REALLY impressive platform excursion levels of something >11mm p2p! At frequencies around 7-10Hz at this same level I was at for 5Hz, I was easily able to make the whole top plate jump off the springs. Maybe I need even taller springs to max this thing out! A good problem to have! I also didn't bother to fix the springs to the plates yet, that should help too.

Fired up RP1 race scene for some feel/LPF testing. Given the similarity in function to an MA, I started with the 6dB/oct which is absolutely perfect with regular MAs. It felt very, very similar, but with way more excursion! The bad harshness that I had experienced with BOSS/HB on this same seating and test platform alignment that made me go way steeper on the LPF is gone! I increased the level and added 3dB of 10Hz LS and WOWZA! It has a lot more to give! All the big hits in this scene were even better, with big wobble and HUGE transients! I eventually pushed it a bit too far and I believe I clipped the amp, which doesn't have a limiter, and I stopped at that point. But the Mega MA brought it like crazy, and I'm not sure it was even ready to tap out yet! I need to get it hooked up to one of my NX3000Ds for some real peak transient testing. I really think this single motor will be able to hit max spring excursion and send me airborne on transients. Only time will tell, but in any case, as a first quick test, I can't really be any more pleased with the results! I'm going to start looking at even bigger springs...this could get crazy, fast.

The single motor moves things so easily on these springs, IMO it's definitely worth using them in other applications as well. I could see them working really well just with OB drivers. Maybe it wouldn't be damped as well as this Mega MA, but there's only one way to find out, and it could very easily end up as a minor issue (and also possibly easily corrected) with the overall experience being amazing. I'll try that as well for comparison purposes.
m0j0, carp, meles and 6 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4

Last edited by aron7awol; 05-23-2020 at 02:00 PM.
aron7awol is online now  
post #3279 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Sounds very exciting @aron7awol , looking forward to more pics! I had been thinking about adding springs for awhile but never really figured out how to incorporate them with my setup. Sounds like you got it figured out. What size springs are you using now and where did you get them?
aron7awol likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3280 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 3,178
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 5882
@aron7awol - That's just so insanely cool that you actually made your own MA ...Mega MA, which I'm sure will turn into a Super Duper Mega MA in the near future!!!!!

Sounds like it worked REALLY well so far and has SERIOUS potential!!!! I'm thinking you are just barely getting started here on what is truly possible with it. Your gonna have to put some padding on your ceiling so when you get launched up there with those crazy single digit and low teen transients it wont hurt your head as bad hahahaha.

Damn Impressive stuff, mate!!!!
CallingMrBenzo and aron7awol like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #3281 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Sounds very exciting @aron7awol , looking forward to more pics! I had been thinking about adding springs for awhile but never really figured out how to incorporate them with my setup. Sounds like you got it figured out. What size springs are you using now and where did you get them?
I used 4 of these springs for this build:
https://www.thespringstore.com/pc167...0-cg-n-in.html

I chose them because they are rated for 23mm of travel, strong, and reasonably priced.
m0j0, SBuger and CallingMrBenzo like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #3282 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 3,178
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 5882
Watched Maleficent: Mistress of Evil a couple of times over the last few days. Enjoyed the hell out of the movie, video, soundtrack and bass!!! WOW what an experince!!! The low end Bass and TR with BEQ and the MegaHB just truly made the experince what it was I think with the foundation. I don't think I knew in the past just how deeply moving ULF TR down super low could be (physically and emotionally) on all these movie soundtracks, even though I had a decent amount of it already and loved what I was getting LOL.

So many awesome ULF scenes in this movie that worked so very, very well I thought. The thing is, pretty much all movies that are decent are like this now and just seem so EPIC!!! I've said this not too long ago in here and the the BEQ thread as well probably, BEQ plus MHB are just bringing out singles digit awesomeness that I didn't really even know was possible and never even knew was there on a lot of my favorites that I've seen several times before, demo and/or whole movie. Hell, even with BEQ I didn't know most of it was there LOL!!!

ULF TR capability brought out with BEQ is just one of the the coolest things ever on these movies!!!! For me, I'd say the change in single digit TR power and movement from MHB to what I had previusly is like going from say, no MAs and No BEQ to adding them both LOL

It's that much of an improvement. The fatter tubes helped a LOT as well!!! And speaking of, I got a shipment notification the other day of the new Maxxis fats heading my way!!! But damn, I'm loving the feel of the tubes I have now so much that I almost don't want to change them out LOL. Gotta know though after what Nalleh said about his!!!! I'm sure they'll be even better since I loved the feel of going from the normal tubes to the little bit bigger fatter ones I'm running now.
m0j0 likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #3283 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Watched Maleficent: Mistress of Evil a couple of times over the last few days. Enjoyed the hell out of the movie, video, soundtrack and bass!!! WOW what an experince!!! The low end Bass and TR with BEQ and the MegaHB just truly made the experince what it was I think with the foundation. I don't think I knew in the past just how deeply moving ULF TR down super low could be (physically and emotionally) on all these movie soundtracks, even though I had a decent amount of it already and loved what I was getting LOL.

So many awesome ULF scenes in this movie that worked so very, very well I thought. The thing is, pretty much all movies that are decent are like this now and just seem so EPIC!!! I've said this not too long ago in here and the the BEQ thread as well probably, BEQ plus MHB are just bringing out singles digit awesomeness that I didn't really even know was possible and never even knew was there on a lot of my favorites that I've seen several times before, demo and/or whole movie. Hell, even with BEQ I didn't know most of it was there LOL!!!

ULF TR capability brought out with BEQ is just one of the the coolest things ever on these movies!!!! For me, I'd say the change in single digit TR power and movement from MHB to what I had previusly is like going from say, no MAs and No BEQ to adding them both LOL

It's that much of an improvement. The fatter tubes helped a LOT as well!!! And speaking of, I got a shipment notification the other day of the new Maxxis fats heading my way!!! But damn, I'm loving the feel of the tubes I have now so much that I almost don't want to change them out LOL. Gotta know though after what Nalleh said about his!!!! I'm sure they'll be even better since I loved the feel of going from the normal tubes to the little bit bigger fatter ones I'm running now.
I was blown away by the ULF in Maleficent too! I posted about it awhile back I believe.... probably need to revisit since as you say, there have been several improvements made with our TR rigs since it was released. Thanks for sharing, and definitely don’t waste time swapping out to the fatter tubes, I’m sure it will be worth it!
meles and SBuger like this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3284 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I used 4 of these springs for this build:
https://www.thespringstore.com/pc167...0-cg-n-in.html

I chose them because they are rated for 23mm of travel, strong, and reasonably priced.
Thanks!
m0j0 is online now  
post #3285 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Yeah HT seats can be a litle tougher tryinhg to get a bunch of shakers mounted to them, or at least I thought so at first. When I first got my seats, I thought I was really going to be limited because I wanted a bunch of them mounted to the seating like you are wanting. But, fortunatly I found somwe ways that worked great and could proibably even put up to 7-8 BK LFE's on my MLP HT seat alone if I wanted from the combo of 3 differnt locations on the seat, and then still have the seat fully functional with thew reclinee mech and all that.

If your seats are anything like mine, you can probably do exactly what I did, at least for your BK's by picking and choosing what areas to mount to for a couple BK's, or use all locatinons if you want to really load up

So, here's the mounting areas that I've found that work great on HT style seating, behind the armrests mounted to a board that just screws into the seat feet threads when original feet are removed, letting the BK's hang out the back, then under the seat with a small mod with wood plank, then to the back of the seat as well, if your into that.

A few pics to give a better idea of what I'm talking about...

Bind the armresrts Canti-Levered:


Another Angle:


You can also double up like this for behind the armrests for 4 per seat:


And attached:


And/or 2 BK LFE's fit pretty darn well underneath the seatimng too:


Here's a pic showing them a little better:


I've got better pics showing the additional mounting piece of wood in there to get them mounted and can find those pics if you need/want them if you decide to go that route. The pics are on my other computer somewhere. I don't run them like this any more though and just have them mounted like up above behind the armrests. Plus now I also run them mounted to the seatback as well, which feels killer and is another way. The multi-location BK LFE combo feels pretty darn wicked!!! I already had the little mounting platform backpack things made to mount a JBL 12" driver to the back of the seats, so was easy to just mount a BK on there as well:



and mounted, giving me 3 BK's per seats ATM, but could easily add 4 more per seat if I wanted :


Hope that can help give you some HT style seat mounting ideas. You've got options If you want them mounted directly to your seating instead of the platform (which I think works way better, at least it did in my case) and your seats are similar to mine (which I bet they are close enough), some or all of these options should work great for your BK's. Clarks as well probably.

As far as the feet go that you linked to, yeah I've used those before. They are pretty hard, but work. Also the older style feet that are used with the Crowsons work too that are a bit softer than those. I think you can get them off Amazon as well. Or the Hudson isos that are used with the BOSS, which are way softer than any of those.
The behind the arm rest was my first through, but I never though of just using strips vs the entire sheet.
My seats are the Valencia Venice. I had tried to have the shakers underneath but the bar for the recline hits them, pretty much no matter what I do. So the slabs behind the armrest are what I will end up doing.

I can use the rubber feet on the other 2 chairs. I ended up finding softer ones today that should work well.
Thx for taking the time, you saved me a sheet of ply lol
SBuger likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
N8DOGG is offline  
post #3286 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3045 Post(s)
Liked: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I used 4 of these springs for this build:
https://www.thespringstore.com/pc167...0-cg-n-in.html

I chose them because they are rated for 23mm of travel, strong, and reasonably priced.
That was good for a heart attack. I followed the link and got this:

which, from my sofa, looked like the springs were $124 each in lots of 100!
Once I picked myself up from the floor and got closer to the screen, I saw it was a period, not a comma. The extra decimal place gave me a bit of a shock.
Do let us know what parts make up your final construct; it seems like a very worthwhile pursuit.
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2731678  
SBuger and aron7awol like this.
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #3287 of 4216 Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,978
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 5791
Got everything hooked up/wired and ready for the boss platform tomorrow! Def a tight squeeze lol.
Just have to get the wood in the morning and slap in the SQL-12's! Then Zach and Aaron can work their magic
subacabra is online now  
post #3288 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cichlid109's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: House on East Coast
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I used 4 of these springs for this build:
https://www.thespringstore.com/pc167...0-cg-n-in.html

I chose them because they are rated for 23mm of travel, strong, and reasonably priced.

May or may not seem like a good idea but figured I would ask. Instead of using the ISO's which can get up in cost depending on application could something similar be used instead? I have noticed with the ISO's ( waiting on the plastic carpet grippers ) using rubber carpet protectors they tend to come off and have to be readjusted just thinking with the springs could be cheaper plus it might be more stable on carpet. Good bad??

Marantz SR-6013, Klipsch F-300 w/Samson SX-2400's Rear Surrounds: Klipsch F-300 w/Behringer EPX-2800, Atmos: 2 pairs DIYSG Volt 6's w/Behringer Nuke 3000 and EP-2000
SUBS:SI HST-18's 8cuft Dual Opposed cabinet w/ Bossobass A14K, 2 SI DS4's each in 7cuft Sealed cabinet w/ Bossobass IT-8000, 4 Infinity 1262's HB and 2 JBL's HB both pwrd by nu6000
Cichlid109 is offline  
post #3289 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
May or may not seem like a good idea but figured I would ask. Instead of using the ISO's which can get up in cost depending on application could something similar be used instead? I have noticed with the ISO's ( waiting on the plastic carpet grippers ) using rubber carpet protectors they tend to come off and have to be readjusted just thinking with the springs could be cheaper plus it might be more stable on carpet. Good bad??

Give it a try and let us know what you think.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3290 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
May or may not seem like a good idea but figured I would ask. Instead of using the ISO's which can get up in cost depending on application could something similar be used instead? I have noticed with the ISO's ( waiting on the plastic carpet grippers ) using rubber carpet protectors they tend to come off and have to be readjusted just thinking with the springs could be cheaper plus it might be more stable on carpet. Good bad??
That's exactly what I was referring to in my post, using them in lieu of isos, but it probably makes more sense with OB rather than hover where the tubes are the main "springs".
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #3291 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
So the general concept is to have a top plate and a bottom plate, where the voice coil is attached to one plate and the motor assembly is attached to the other. The two plates are separated by springs which support the load and center the voice coil within the gap, allowing travel in each direction, with top plate excursion limited by motor excursion and/or spring travel. Top plate excursion matches motor excursion 1:1 due to the mechanical coupling of the two, so even in the case of a humble JBL motor, the peak-to-peak excursion potential is at least 24mm, assuming the springs allow it and the motor strength is enough to push it there.
Hi Aron, this sounds like another TR break-thru if it works out. I'm having a hard time visualizing how some of this is constructed. To separate the voice coil from the motor, did you cut out the spokes of the speaker basket? Is the cone, surround, and spider still intact on the voice coil side? I'm amazed you would be able to keep the voice coils from rubbing since those springs must have some lateral give to them, especially when people are moving around in their chairs. Apparently things are working out, I'm just curious how you're keeping it all together. Have you looked at using any of the cylindrical linear actuators instead of a speaker driver. I don't know anything about them, or if they are load or speed appropriate, but it seems this app would be more up their alley than a speaker driver.

If there is a problem with voice coil rubbing, here's something KEF implemented many years that may help. They came out with a mini-tower bandpass design back in the 80s called the 104/2. Its bass was very well tuned and had an amazing amount of slam for a speaker its size. Its bass chamber had a fully contained horizontal 7" woofer at the top and another at the bottom with only a port between them for bass sounds to come out. They apparently also had problems with voice coil rubbing back then due to all of the pressures involved, so they added a smooth metal rod between the two woofers with a special sliding bearing thru the center of the cones. I don't know if KEF or anyone else still makes a woofer like this, or if it would help with your idea, but I thought I would pass it along.


Thanks,
Darrell
aron7awol likes this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".

Last edited by darrellh44; 05-24-2020 at 10:38 AM.
darrellh44 is offline  
post #3292 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Hi Aron, this sounds like another TR break-thru if it works out. I'm having a hard time visualizing how some of this is constructed. To separate the voice coil from the motor, did you cut out the spokes of the speaker basket? Is the cone, surround, and spider still intact on the voice coil side? I'm amazed you would be able to keep the voice coils from rubbing since those springs must have some lateral give to them, especially when people are moving around in their chairs. Apparently things are working out, I'm just curious how you're keeping it all together. Have you looked at using any of the cylindrical linear actuators instead of a speaker driver. I don't know anything about them, or if they are load or speed appropriate, but it seems this app would be more up their alley than a speaker driver.
I didn't cut the basket, I mounted the basket (attached to the motor assembly) to the top plate as normal, but I fixed the voice coil to the bottom plate right through the cone. So unlike a normal scenario where the voice coil moves within the gap, the voice coil is fixed in place and the whole motor assembly moves up and down along with the top plate it is attached to. On my 12W7 motor, I had already pulled the surround off and was going to mount it to the bottom plate as it was, but on this JBL I decided to leave the suspension intact (at least for now), mostly for simplicity. I figured it probably wouldn't hurt and might help keep the voice coil centered, and even though the suspension works against the springs to some extent (lowering the effective spring rate) as far as compression under load, I left myself some wiggle room with expected weight and compression and wanted to see how that would all shake out, and it turned out pretty good. FWIW, the springs really don't seem to move laterally much at all, and while I expected coil rub to potentially be a significant issue, it really hasn't been at all, despite the tight JBL gap and me not even worrying about even weight distribution. The motor isn't centered on the platform, the weight isn't distributed evenly across the platform, and the plates thus aren't even ending up perfectly parallel under load, and yet it's still working great. I can envision the whole assembly shrinking in size quite a bit for this sort of application, but in any case, for such a quick and dirty experimental build, I'm really happy with how well it all worked out. I did look at other types of linear actuators, such as the screw-driven type, but I really wanted to try to make a voice coil work in this sort of application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
If there is a problem with voice coil rubbing, here's something KEF implemented many years that may help. They came out with a mini-tower bandpass design back in the 80s called the 104/2. Its bass was very well tuned and had an amazing amount of slam for a speaker its size. Its bass chamber had a fully contained horizontal 7" woofer at the top and another at the bottom with only a port between them for bass sounds to come out. They apparently also had problems with voice coil rubbing back then due to all of the pressures involved, so they added a smooth metal rod between the two woofers with a special sliding bearing thru the center of the cones. I don't know if KEF or anyone else still makes a woofer like this, or if it would help with your idea, but I thought I would pass it along.
That's an interesting solution to their problem, thanks for sharing. I thought I might need to mount the springs on rods to help keep things plumb, but I figured I'd give it a go as-is. Essentially all I did to help avoid these sorts of issues was I made sure that the entire block I used to attach the voice coil to the bottom plate was square and drilled plumb using a drill press. So at least as the voice coil is pushing/pulling against the bottom plate, it should be doing so perpendicular to that bottom plate. Now of course, that doesn't prevent the top plate from moving laterally, but like I said, that hasn't seemed to be an issue at all so far. I also made the mounting block modular using multiple small pieces of plywood so that I could vary the offset and/or take things apart easily if desired.

All in all, this experiment makes me very confident that using a voice coil is a feasible approach for this application, even with big time excursion levels. As a potential longer-term vision for where this could end up, I can see ways to shrink it down, increase excursion even further, while also mitigating coil rub concerns even further. If nothing else, it's been a fun experiment, and I'm excited to continue on with it, as well as other experiments with these springs. This stuff is awesome!
m0j0, meles, SBuger and 3 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4

Last edited by aron7awol; 05-24-2020 at 08:20 PM.
aron7awol is online now  
post #3293 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
How about TOSS as the name for your experimental MA @aron7awol ? Tactile Oscillator Spring Suspension....
SBuger, darrellh44 and aron7awol like this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3294 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 3,178
Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 5882
ooooo yeah ....look what came in today!!!! ...and on a Sunday no less, which just seems crazy, but hey I'll take it Fedex will do that I guess.







They look like super good quality tubes!!! They gotta be better than my Walmart BELL's, if none other than way better uniformity with less amount of air. I haven't put air into any of them yet to check them out but they are bigger, or at least wider than what I was expecting so far, but should work perfect. The pics don't really show the size of them very well, but I tried to include the door jam molding for reference and the popcorn machine lol

I'm getting pretty darn excited now, even though it's going to involve taking all my stuff apart to get it done (which I've already done who knows how many times before trying different stuff out over the last couple of months or so with all this platform and HB madness, so what's another time right!!?? Probably won't be the last if I know me LOL

Excitement can drive you to do damn near anything no matter how much work it is and I want to do it right damn now LOL ...but probably better wait till after the long holiday weekend or my wife might just try to kill me, as I get tunnel vision and can't hardly stop once I get started on a project. We got some family stuff planned, so probably wont fly over to well hahahha Why is it that they just don't get as excited about this stuff as we do and make it priority!!??

deep breath ....patience.

Damn that Fedex dude for dropping them off today!!!! LOL

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #3295 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
How about TOSS as the name for your experimental MA @aron7awol ? Tactile Oscillator Spring Suspension....
LOL, very nice double meaning...
m0j0 and aron7awol like this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #3296 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
How about TOSS as the name for your experimental MA @aron7awol ? Tactile Oscillator Spring Suspension....
Ha, I still like Mega MA shortened to MMA, which is still appropriate, because it will have you tapping out long before it does!
m0j0 and CallingMrBenzo like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is online now  
post #3297 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
So I know someone pulled apart their BK somewhat recently...was it Magly? A mechanically-coupled BK plus springs could be great...I'm gonna go back and try to find the photos of what that looked like.

Edit: Found them. I think it's worth trying based on my results in this experiment. @Magly how big was the gap? Do you have any other photos of the inside of it?
SBuger and Magly like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4

Last edited by aron7awol; 05-24-2020 at 05:04 PM.
aron7awol is online now  
post #3298 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
So I know someone pulled apart their BK somewhat recently...was it Magly? A mechanically-coupled BK plus springs could be great...I'm gonna go back and try to find the photos of what that looked like.

Edit: Found them. I think it's worth trying based on my results in this experiment. @Magly how big was the gap? Do you have any other photos of the inside of it?
This does sound cool! Maybe several on the same platform...

Just had a thought. Maybe you could have a BK on each side of the platform but on the outside, as in on the ground, but open at the top and mechanically coupled to a board attached to the side of the BOSS platform. You could potentially replace the ISOs with the springs as @aron7awol mentioned, then you get a combo Hover BOSS with BK MMA action, and maybe this also opens up the possibility of a left and right stereo TR setup.
meles, SBuger and aron7awol like this.

Last edited by m0j0; 05-24-2020 at 05:43 PM.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3299 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
This does sound cool! Maybe several on the same platform...

Just had a thought. Maybe you could have a BK on each side of the platform but on the outside, as in on the ground, but open at the top and mechanically coupled to a board attached to the side of the BOSS platform. You could potentially replace the ISOs with the springs as @aron7awol mentioned, then you get a combo Hover BOSS with BK MMA action, and maybe this also opens up the possibility of a left and right stereo TR setup.
Ok, now thinking one in each corner. Would call it Quadzilla...
SBuger and CallingMrBenzo like this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #3300 of 4216 Old 05-24-2020, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,925
Mentioned: 680 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 16293
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
This does sound cool! Maybe several on the same platform...

Just had a thought. Maybe you could have a BK on each side of the platform but on the outside, as in on the ground, but open at the top and mechanically coupled to a board attached to the side of the BOSS platform. You could potentially replace the ISOs with the springs as @aron7awol mentioned, then you get a combo Hover BOSS with BK MMA action, and maybe this also opens up the possibility of a left and right stereo TR setup.
Yes, I think we definitely need multiple for a whole platform no matter what device is used. I only did the single motor on my test MMA because it was quick and easy and for a single seat.

I tend to think that when using a big excursion mechanically-coupled device such as an MMA or similar, I wouldn't want to do HB at the same time. The main reason I am chasing this particular rabbit is because I wasn't really satisfied with the non-linearity of the air springs, but wanted to try to reach similar excursion levels.
m0j0, SBuger and darrellh44 like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4

Last edited by aron7awol; 05-24-2020 at 08:25 PM.
aron7awol is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off